• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Aussie_Wing

Jonathan Ericsson

Rate this topic

Hopefully this doesn't evolve into "Ericsson sucks", "Trade Ericsson" ect...

But my question is how much improvement is there in his game?

He was the last pick in his draft, he had size, raw skill and improved so much after arriving in Grand Rapids.

The Wings love his upside, they thought he could be a 2nd pairing defenceman.

He's 26, so you'd think what we're seeing now is only the beginning, but how much upside is there truly left? For a giant he doesn't play anywhere near physical enough, he doesn't really throw any hits, offensively he could probably max out at roughly 30 points, and defensively I don't think he's ever going to be all that good. So he's not blessed with being a physical defenceman despite his size and offensively he's probably not well-rounded enough to regularly be used on the PP. Where then does he sit?

Basically, I don't think his potential will ever be reached, partly because I think the hype was a little too much. He's a 5th defenceman at best. Unfortunately for us, Kindl has a lot of the same flaws. Size, skill, but doesn't hit and the offence might not come around like it was once touted too.

Guest Crymson

I'm not sure what Ericsson's problem is. He seems clueless on the ice in the NHL, and he often doesn't give 100% effort.

He's cheap and the Wings are loyal, and so I figure he'll get one more season to prove himself.

I honestly...I don't know.

He showed so much potential but since then we haven't even seen a glimmer. He's made no improvements the entire year and just doesn't seem to make the smart play ever.

Maybe some day he will improve, but I'm beginning to see him as another Meech. A guy we thought could one day be good, but who just flatlined and is now...well...he is what he is. Hopefully next season we'll see some kind of development from him, whether it's playing more physical or making better passes.

People have been relying on his "potential" for too long. The guy's 26.....are they going to still be using that excuse in 3 years, when his career is half over? Maybe having a big body that stands around and does s*** works for some teams but not for us. I'll be glad to see him and Lebda go this summer.

People have been relying on his "potential" for too long. The guy's 26.....are they going to still be using that excuse in 3 years, when his career is half over? Maybe having a big body that stands around and does s*** works for some teams but not for us. I'll be glad to see him and Lebda go this summer.

Interesting point. So maybe it's just his type of game (whatever that is, seems a bit unclear at present) would be better suited for another team? I certainly wouldn't be totally opposed to at least hearing offers from other clubs, we have Kindl, Smith and Lashoff set to be Wings either next season or in 1-2 years.

Guest Lidstromboli

Ericsson looks more comfortable when he plays like a forward. Problem is he's way too slow to be effective as one, and too inept to be a consistently good defenseman. I think he was the 291st pick for a reason.

Edited by Lidstromboli

I don't see any passion from him until the play stops and scrums start. He doesn't seem to have those hockey instincts. He doesn't know where guys are on the ice, he doesn't make smart passes, and he doesn't work for loose pucks. I think he could do it, but he doesn't seem to want to step up.

Edited by Dano33

in all honesty, it was very amateur of him to try to gain the zone by himself and stay deep there. its overtime in a must win playoff game, let the forwards play offense and the defenders play d, and dont force anything. he does not stand his ground or hit. he is not lidstrom in the making like people say - he isnt. and i gotta say, lilja should have been in and ericsson scratched - lilja was +1 and playing solid. that play that ericsson made at the end of the game is the s*** i expect from lebda-who was alright. need eaves badly.

id trade him and try to pick up a solid, stable, stay at home d-man. give some of our youngsters a chance too.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

He's a rookie defenseman who played forward his whole life. Give him one more year.

Hes okay, not the best. I dont think he will improve anymore. He doesnt look any better then when he first played.

I given up on him, i really thought he was going to get better and learn how to use his huge body but that never happened.

I wouldnt be heartbroken if he was traded. Still miss quiency

I would like to see him play forward tho, that could be entertaining.

Edited by brett

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

we'd have 2 more games at least if he didn't decide to play forward in OT.

IF?

IF, Zetterberg scored on the penalty shot, we would have atleast two more games

IF, Howard didn't allow a few easy goals, we would have atleast two more games

IF, the refs were not completely incompetent in game two, we would have atleast two more games

IF, our own players would stop taking penalties (cough, cough Holmstrom), we would have atleast two more games

IF, the Mule scored 17 goals tonight, we would have atleast two more games

You win as a team and lose as a team.

IF?

IF, Zetterberg scored on the penalty shot, we would have atleast two more games

IF, Howard didn't allow a few easy goals, we would have atleast two more games

IF, the refs were not completely incompetent in game two, we would have atleast two more games

IF, our own players would stop taking penalties (cough, cough Holmstrom), we would have atleast two more games

IF, the Mule scored 17 goals tonight, we would have atleast two more games

You win as a team and lose as a team.

hey you're preaching to the choir.

IF, we had 10 Darren Helms, we'd watch the game in slo-mo and we'd play the full 60 mins for once.

IF, Jimmy Howard had a 3 foot cock, he wouldn't have let in a sorry ass goal at a horrible angle to tie the game up.'

IF, Bertuzzi didn't suck so much....well I'll keep things realistic.

You get the point though.