• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Four

Four

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:04 PM

Opinions? I'm sure there are plenty of mixed feelings at this point.

O.o

#2 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,570 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:06 PM

Opinions? I'm sure there are plenty of mixed feelings at this point.

Yeah, definitely mixed feelings in my mind. He's either the best coach in the league or the greatest coach in the league.

Not sure yet.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#3 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:07 PM

He's got one year left on his contract.

#4 NvrFrgtRussian5

NvrFrgtRussian5

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:08 PM

honestly, i am sick of the "you know, i think we played real well. we played well. they just got some lucky bounces"

He never admits his team f***ed up.

He also waits a little too long to switch things up. I mean, you are down 2-0...SWITCH THE LINES UP.

Now we are down 3-0, I would switch all sorts of s*** up for game 4. Reunite the twins, throw ozzy in. What do you have to lose? Maybe ozzy can pull a performance ala 08/09. Now this isn't a Howard bash, I am just saying maybe things need to be shaken up.

#5 Four

Four

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:09 PM

Yeah, definitely mixed feelings in my mind. He's either the best coach in the league or the greatest coach in the league.

Not sure yet.

I'm not so sure I can agree. The only time he wins is when he has a stacked team in front of him, if he was coaching a team from the East, they would be no where.

honestly, i am sick of the "you know, i think we played real well. we played well. they just got some lucky bounces"

He also waits a little too long to switch things up. I mean, you are down 2-0...SWITCH THE LINES UP.

Now we are down 3-0, I would switch all sorts of s*** up for game 4. Reunite the twins, throw ozzy in. What do you have to lose? Maybe ozzy can pull a performance ala 08/09. Now this isn't a Howard bash, I am just saying maybe things need to be shaken up.

Agreed, I believe he handled the situation so poorly and I believe this isn't the first time, but this has had the worst consequences, esp since our depth is not as good as it once was.

Edited by Four, 04 May 2010 - 10:08 PM.

O.o

#6 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:11 PM

Some of you sure are:

1) Fickle
2) Spoiled

Get with the picture.

#7 MTU_Huskies963

MTU_Huskies963

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:15 PM

What can it hurt putting ozzy in. Going to crush howard's confidence? I am sure any that he had left is gone. The one thing that angers me about Babcock is the use of the timeout. He always uses it to rest the players after an icing. I wish he would use it once in a while to calm down the team, and straighten their heads after the D lets up a horrible goal.

#8 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:15 PM

IMO he dropped the ball a bit, but i dont think there are any better coaches out there, but i dont follow coaches

#9 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:16 PM

he is great, he won the olympic gold, coached this team to 2 finals. there are many coaches with great teams that dont have this success. i think he needs to stop hinting that players need to step up and just kick them in the ass. he did a good job with an injured team this year, and honestly, is there any other coach in the league you would rather have?

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#10 Four

Four

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:17 PM

Some of you sure are:

1) Fickle
2) Spoiled

Get with the picture.

I haven't liked Babcock for quite a while, starting from way beyond this season. My brother and I have constantly laughed at his poor coaching strategies and have wondered how the hell he pulls out wins in the best of times. The only time he's ever won is when he has had a team with great depth. Now that the wings 3rd and 4th lines aren't contributing to our goals, his style of coaching doesn't work.. which is essentially doing nothing, rarely switching up the lines.

TBH, there are atleast 3-5 coaches I'd rather have at this point.

Edited by Four, 04 May 2010 - 10:18 PM.

O.o

#11 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:17 PM

HAHAH

You know nothing about coaching. You can't roast your team in front of the media, especially with the players we have on the Wings.

Babcock just plays the middle ground in interviews, if the Wings have a good game he'll tell you what they need to improve, if they have a bad game he'll tell you what they did well.

It's not rocket science, and expecting a coach like Babcock to take off his pants and s*** on Lidstrom's jersey in an interview is just ridiculous.

#12 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:18 PM

He's the best coach in the league, I hope he signs an extension

#13 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:18 PM

he is great, he won the olympic gold, coached this team to 2 finals.

But he didn't win *TONIGHT*. Duh.
*this space for rent*

#14 stevieisthebest

stevieisthebest

The Captain

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:20 PM

Babcock is the one of the best coaches in the league. What do you want him to say? "Yea we f***ed up..." or "it was the refs fault" He knows we f***ed up, and a good coach never blames an outcome on anyone but himself or the team. For f***s sake, he's won more games than anyone the past few years.

AND he's made the playoffs 5 out of 6 years he been coaching in the league AND made thef****** finals THREE of those years, and came TWO games short of having two more rings on his fingers.

AND won a gold medal

Edited by stevieisthebest, 04 May 2010 - 10:24 PM.

"15,395 Days since they won the cup...3 seconds left, THE DETROiT RED WINGS ARE THE STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!"

"Lemiuex was hammered by Darren McCarty, and he is being helped into the locker room."

Thanks Steve! #19
Thanks Nick! #5

#15 RedWingedKitten

RedWingedKitten

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:21 PM

Babcock has done more for this team than you can ever dream of doing. Unless you offer Bowman, I say no.

#16 Four

Four

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:25 PM

Babcock is the one of the best coaches in the league. What do you want him to say? "Yea we f***ed up..." or "it was the refs fault" He knows we f***ed up, and a good coach never blames an outcome on anyone but himself or the team. For f***s sake, he's won more games than anyone the past few years.
AND he's made the playoffs 5 out of 6 years he been coaching in the league AND made thef****** finals THREE of those years, and came TWO games short of having two more rings on his fingers.

I'm not looking for him to blame anyone.
He wins with teams who are stacked with depth and are generally better on paper than other teams.
I don't think we'd ever see him take a team like the Leafs and turn them into competitors. The Wings were already playoff bound before he came, and team Canada was already the favourite before he coached them.

O.o

#17 NvrFrgtRussian5

NvrFrgtRussian5

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:27 PM

let me clarify, I LOVE babs. I would not want anyone else. I am simply saying those are things I wish he did differently. He is still the best coach in the league win or lose. I am not a fairweather fan. I think what I said when we are winning.

I am not asking him to "s*** in lidstroms jersey". But we can lose 2-1 or 3525-0 and it will be the same spiel about "lucky bounces" "veteran presence" it is almost like when Bush seemed like he said nothing but "terrorism" for 8 years straight.

#18 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:28 PM

Get J.Lemaire out of retirement and sign him up, they need some good ol trap coach :thumbup:

#19 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:35 PM

Mike Babcock is a great coach and he has the hardware to prove it. But in this series he is being outcoached by Todd McLellan. It happens to the best of them so get used to it. Babcock is the type to beat a dead horse all day ( never change it up ) and he has done pretty well doing this but it is going to bite him big this time.

#20 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,844 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:40 PM

I for one wouldn't fire him.

I'll think of a reason later.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.