• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:43 PM

I haven't liked Babcock for quite a while, starting from way beyond this season. My brother and I have constantly laughed at his poor coaching strategies and have wondered how the hell he pulls out wins in the best of times. The only time he's ever won is when he has had a team with great depth. Now that the wings 3rd and 4th lines aren't contributing to our goals, his style of coaching doesn't work.. which is essentially doing nothing, rarely switching up the lines.

TBH, there are atleast 3-5 coaches I'd rather have at this point.

He's been successful at every level he's coached at.

You really think that Anaheim team that he coached was stacked? Really?

He's a fantastic coach, and we're lucky to have the guy. Also, Yzerman chose him as the coach for the Olympics and he knows him personally and how he coaches. If Yzerman likes him, I ask no questions.

#22 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:46 PM

I've been calling Babcock's biggest mistake since November: it's a stupid, stupid move to put all your money on a rookie, especially when you've got Chris Osgood on the roster. And I don't give a flying f*** how he plays in the regular season. I really don't. He knows how to get it done when it matters. Worst case scenario, you pull him if he drops the ball in the post-season and go to Howard. Even if Howard flubs up, it's better for his mental development to not have to carry the burden he's going to have to carry now after this playoff run. He never gave Osgood even close to a descent chance to get something going, and not only did he set the team up to struggle behind a rookie goalie, he set Howard up to carry far more extra s*** in his head than he needs to be carrying at this point in his career.

Babcock gets most things right, but I've been saying it since his first year here, he makes bonehead decisions when it comes to the goalies...
-Elliot...does not panic.

#23 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:48 PM

Everyone's an expert... or so they believe.

#24 acidroach420

acidroach420

You know I've got a soft spot for hot dogs

• Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:50 PM

honestly, i am sick of the "you know, i think we played real well. we played well. they just got some lucky bounces"

He never admits his team f***ed up.

He also waits a little too long to switch things up. I mean, you are down 2-0...SWITCH THE LINES UP.

Now we are down 3-0, I would switch all sorts of s*** up for game 4. Reunite the twins, throw ozzy in. What do you have to lose? Maybe ozzy can pull a performance ala 08/09. Now this isn't a Howard bash, I am just saying maybe things need to be shaken up.

I like this. At this point, I'd also like him to play more of the black wings. We've got nothing left to lose, and the young kids (and May) might be able to create a spark for a game.

#25 GunnarStahl

GunnarStahl

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:51 PM

sure is spoiled Wings fans in here. Babs should coach the Wings until he retires.

#26 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:55 PM

I'm not so sure I can agree. The only time he wins is when he has a stacked team in front of him, if he was coaching a team from the East, they would be no where.

Agreed, I believe he handled the situation so poorly and I believe this isn't the first time, but this has had the worst consequences, esp since our depth is not as good as it once was.

He won a cup with the same team minus Sammy and Hudler. Get real.

Edited by zettie85, 04 May 2010 - 11:04 PM.

Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#27 MTU_Huskies963

MTU_Huskies963

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:56 PM

Babcock is a great coach, but I do have to question his coaching in this post season and the finals last year. Once the team made the playoffs their motivation looked to drop. Dropped even more after they made it out of the first round. Last year I still can't believe he pulled abdelkader and put draper in. I like that he is loyal to vets, but sometimes you have to draw the line.

#28 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:31 AM

I'm not so sure I can agree. The only time he wins is when he has a stacked team in front of him, if he was coaching a team from the East, they would be no where.

Yeah, cos that Anaheim team he took to the finals was such a stacked roster Posted Image And all those obscure minor colleges and junior teams he won with....

Babcock is the best coach in the league, hands down. Y'know, even Bowman didn't win the cup every single year.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#29 paul19010

paul19010

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:34 AM

is this thread for real? lol. wow.

#30 Hossa4Life

Hossa4Life

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:37 AM

is this thread for real? lol. wow.

The only thing that could be worse is two thre... o wait there is two wtf?

But I must be off, I have some jerking off to do. Oh btw I like to consider myself extremely attractive and am proud of myself for being your intellectual superior as I am going to UofM next year, and I am a better hockey player than Crosby.

Posted Image

#31 NEpats1028

NEpats1028

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:27 AM

If you guys are seriously aiming the blame at Babcock, get real. He's coached the team to back-to-back finals and won at the world stage. Only thing I wish he did would be to speak his mind more to the media. After the refs basically gave away Game 2 of this series, he placed the blame on his teams inability to stay out of the box when it was clearly more than that. I love Babcock and hope he sticks around awhile, but for godsake, stand up for your players and your staff when things get outta hand.

#32 Third Man In

Third Man In

Ready to rage.

• HoF Booster
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:35 AM

I can think of 29 other teams that would be interested in hiring him.

"When you're a Detroit Red Wing, you don't want to go anywhere." -Kris Draper
Duty Calls

#33 EuroMan

EuroMan

Jr. Prospect

• 26 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:27 AM

I've been unhappy with Babcock for a couple of years now. Much like in Olympics you don't have to be a great coach to coach an all star roster and yet he almost screwed that up. He refuses to play Z and Dats together ( the only proven formula ) and he keeps Bertuzzi ( the worst player on our team by far ) on the 2nd line no matter how useless he is.

But tonight it was the cherry on top. He had his 4th line in OT!!! And was outsmarted by his former assistant who didn't have to be a genius to throw his top line on the ice to win the game.

Babcock has been an awful coach to this team and the team has done well despite his "coaching".

#34 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:52 AM

All these people who think Babcock is so awful, I would genuinely like to see you name the names of who you think would be a better coach.

I sure hope he doesn't get run out of town, because I'd hate for him to go to another contender like Washington or Chicago and be the guy that puts them over the top.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#35 RedLightGoesOn

RedLightGoesOn

Playoff Ice...if you know what I mean

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:57 AM

This "Babs doesn't win unless he has a stacked team in front of him" is some weak s***. You don't win the Cup or Gold Medals if your team isn't stacked. He is a great coach, but this is a time of transition. You can either scrap this year or the next year when it comes to Jimmy Howard as the starting goalie. He had his shot this year. Next year he will be expected to do better and so on.

Babcock makes mistakes and does stuff I don't like, but when he has the resources in front of him he can win. This is a quality not too many coaches have. Dan Bylsma was able to do it. Look at the Capitals, a lot of talent but piss poor coaching. If Babcock coached them I am sure they would still be in the playoffs. I would like Babcock to stay longer with us, he is a great coach.
40 for life.

#36 Four

Four

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:42 AM

He's been successful at every level he's coached at.

You really think that Anaheim team that he coached was stacked? Really?

He's a fantastic coach, and we're lucky to have the guy. Also, Yzerman chose him as the coach for the Olympics and he knows him personally and how he coaches. If Yzerman likes him, I ask no questions.

They were pretty stacked.

Centres

* 15 Ryan Getzlaf
* 17 Dustin Penner
* 19 Andy McDonald
* 22 Todd Marchant
* 26 Samuel Pahlsson
* 52 Ryan Carter
* 13 Mark Hartigan†

(played 1 playoff game)

Wingers

* 8 Teemu Selanne
* 10 Corey Perry
* 14 Chris Kunitz
* 16 George Parros
* 18 Drew Miller
* 24 Brad May
* 32 Travis Moen
* 38 Ryan Shannon
* 46 Joe Motzko
* 44 Rob Niedermayer (A. Capt.)
* 45 Shawn Thornton

Defencemen

* 27 Scott Niedermayer (Captain)
* 5 Ric Jackman
* 21 Sean O'Donnell
* 23 Francois Beauchemin
* 25 Chris Pronger (A. Capt.)
* 33 Joe Dipenta
* 40 Kent Huskins
* 34 Aaron Rome†

Goaltenders

* 35 Jean-Sebastien Giguere
* 30 Ilja Bryzgalov
* 29 Sebastien Caron †

Giguere was a beast that playoff run, Pronger, Neidemeyer(s), Getzlaf, Kunitz, Perry, Selanne, Penner, etc

O.o

#37 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:06 AM

Babs is doing a fine job. His head may not be in the right place to call a timeout or whatever you guys are complaining about, but out of all the coaches, he really GETS the big picture. His philosophy is sound and I'm glad we have him. Our team just needs more heart out there and a willingness to fight until the bitter end. If anything, I would think our players need to be more motivated. I don't know if they are tired or what, but we definitely need a Stevie Y type player to go out there with a bunch of heart, and say through his actions: hey we may be up by two now, but let's keep the pressure alive!!

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#38 Third Man In

Third Man In

Ready to rage.

• HoF Booster
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 10:41 AM

They were pretty stacked.

That was the 2007 team. This is the team Babcock beat the Wings with.

"When you're a Detroit Red Wing, you don't want to go anywhere." -Kris Draper
Duty Calls

#39 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:19 AM

So manny stupid people on this board
Posted Image

#40 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:30 AM

Mike Babcock is one of the best coaches in the world. He's one of the few coaches in the NHL who actually know that the modern hockey is about puck posession and controlling the play, not just dumping in, counter-attacking and defending. McLellan may be even a better coach than him, but Babs is still easily one of the best.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!