No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Jiri Hudler, the answer to all of our prayers

Rate this topic

Just imagine this as our top two for next year:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Filppula-Hudler

Pretty good if you ask me. For some reason, I'm liking that more than what we have now, although, I do know a lot of people like Cleary up on the second or first.

ZDH is all well in good in the regular season, but it becomes a problem when you go up against a team in the playoffs with two legitimate scoring lines.

Right now the Wings have two good scoring lines and a collection of players (Helm, Abdelkader, Draper, Maltby, Miller, Eaves) that would do best on a checking line. Add Hudler back in the mix and you've got something like this:

Franzen-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Cleary-Zetterberg-anyone but Bert or Willy

Eaves-Filppula-Hudler

Abdelkader-Helm-Draper/Miller

The Wings are one good free agent from having three good scoring lines again. Now about that defence...

ZDH is all well in good in the regular season, but it becomes a problem when you go up against a team in the playoffs with two legitimate scoring lines.

Right now the Wings have two good scoring lines and a collection of players (Helm, Abdelkader, Draper, Maltby, Miller, Eaves) that would do best on a checking line. Add Hudler back in the mix and you've got something like this:

Cleary-Zetterberg-anyone but Bert or Willy

Eaves-Filppula-Hudler

Abdelkader-Helm-Draper/Miller

The Wings are one good free agent from having three good scoring lines again. Now about that defence...

I honestly think Franzen and Holmstrom together is flawed. Just saying. And Filppula has clearly shown that he's deserving of being on the top two lines. Bert and Williams as far as I'm concerned are gone. Im looking for Kenny to go out and get another scoring forward (40-50) point player to round out the top 3 lines.

Zetterberg-Filppula-Hudler

Cleary-Abdelkader-Bertuzzi

Eaves-Helm-Miller

Draper

i think if we could do this line-up next season we should be in good shape,I know alot of ppl hate on Bertuzzi, but there was alot of pressure on him to perform this season, which i think he didnt do to bad considering all the injuries and what not 44pts isnt to bad, He hasnt done really anything in the playoffs but unless we can replace him with a big power forward i think he would still be good on our 3rd line.

PP1

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

PP2

Franzen-Filppula-Hudler

Maybe Ericcsson can get an 'A' in Grand Rapids!!!!!!

Says the Howard fan. Howard has 800 times more to do with our being down 0-3 than Ericsson.

Hows about he limits his soft goals to one a game? He's got a GAA of 4 this series. Not. Good. Enough.

If Lidstrom retires, heres my dream scenerio. Its a bit dreamy, but plausable. I dont think I undervalued Kozlov, Volchenkov, or Armstrongs cap hits. If Nick decides to stay, just put him in Volchenkovs spot. I think Kozzie would be a nice, cheap pick up to replace Williams. He could really work well with Datsyuk. Back in the day, the Kozlov/Fedorov/Homer line worked well, this could have a similar effect, however at this stage of the game Id look for Kozlov to be a Larionov type.

I like what Bert did this season, but I look to get someone younger that wants to play a little bit more physical in Armstrong. We would have 3 solid lines again. And I dont think we lose much, if anything defensively by replacing Volchenkov with Nick.

FORWARDS

* Slava Kozlov ($1.500m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / * Tomas Holmstrom ($1.500m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / * Darren Helm ($0.750m) / * Colby Armstrong ($2.000m)

Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / * Justin Abdelkader ($0.850m) / * Patrick Eaves ($0.600m)

Kris Draper ($1.583m) / * Mattias Ritola ($0.511m)

DEFENSEMEN

Brian Rafalski ($6.000m) / * Anton Volchenkov ($4.500m)

Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m) / Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

* Doug Janik ($0.500m)

GOALTENDERS

Chris Osgood ($1.417m) / Jimmy Howard ($0.717m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

ROSTER: 23; PAYROLL: $56.374m; CAP ROOM: $0.426m BONUSES: $0.000m

If Lidstrom retires, heres my dream scenerio. Its a bit dreamy, but plausable. I dont think I undervalued Kozlov, Volchenkov, or Armstrongs cap hits. If Nick decides to stay, just put him in Volchenkovs spot. I think Kozzie would be a nice, cheap pick up to replace Williams. He could really work well with Datsyuk. Back in the day, the Kozlov/Fedorov/Homer line worked well, this could have a similar effect, however at this stage of the game Id look for Kozlov to be a Larionov type.

I like what Bert did this season, but I look to get someone younger that wants to play a little bit more physical in Armstrong. We would have 3 solid lines again. And I dont think we lose much, if anything defensively by replacing Volchenkov with Nick.

FORWARDS

* Slava Kozlov ($1.500m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / * Tomas Holmstrom ($1.500m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / * Justin Abdelkader ($0.850m) / * Patrick Eaves ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN

* Doug Janik ($0.500m)

GOALTENDERS

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

i like the idea of Armstrong in for Bert,but Kozlov for Williams i dont think i like to much how about.I also like the idea of bringing in Ritola i think the Wings are the only team that lets there players develope this long still in the AHL, I do like that they give them time but i also think we need to slowly start bringing them up and let them play with the big boys.

Franzen-Datsyuk-Hudler

Zetterberg-Fippula-Holmstrom

Cleary-Helm-Armstrong

Eaves-Abdelkader-Ritola

Draper

I like the D you have also, I wouldnt mind Willie Mitchell either if Lids goes.

I'm happy we are getting Hudler back. My only thing I'm questioning is in the playoffs last year he got hurt by Columbus, yes he still played on, but wasn't scoring as much. I know its been a season so hopefully he back to 100%. The whole team had some mysterious injuries they didn't reveal until after the finals were up. Rafalski with the back, Lidstrom, and a few others.

Wings need speed and I think Hudler will be good to have back.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Says the Howard fan. Howard has 800 times more to do with our being down 0-3 than Ericsson.

Hows about he limits his soft goals to one a game? He's got a GAA of 4 this series. Not. Good. Enough.

Exactly. Ericsson is not the reason for this team losing. It is Howard. I don't care if he is a rookie or not. Giving up 4 goals a game is, like you said, simply not good enough. There is a reason why Detroit is called Hockeytown. The fans of our beloved Red Wings hold the players to higher standards than those of any other team. I respect what he has done so far, but like I said, this is Hockeytown. Losing is unacceptable.

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

* Doug Janik ($0.500m)

GOALTENDERS

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

Interesting picks. I don't know if I necessarily like Kozlov though. Armstrong and Volchenkov could actually be pretty good pickups though. I think I would rather have Kronwall on the first line with Rafalski then Volchenkov with Stuart---okay, who am I kidding, I would rather have #5 in the number one spot, but if Nick does retire, I would have no qualms with those additions.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

I don't envision Hudler making a difference in a series like this. Much like he didn't in the second half of the playoffs last year.

Much like Filppula didn't make a difference in a series like this.

Marleau will be a free agent and if Lidstrom retires, we will certainly have the cap space....

(NICK, NOOOOOOOOOO)

Yes, replacing one of the best if not the best D-men of all time and certainly the Era with a forward will surely be good use of the cap money.

you guys DO realize Huds will be making 3.5 mil a year right? Thats a lot of mullah for an already cap tight team. Is he really worth it? I personally dont see him making any difference. I'd honestly rather trade his rights away, and use that 3.5 mil for some better assets.

LGW: Where people make up numbers and then emphasis DO REALIZE.

Drake normally I agree with you, but that argument is entirely unfair. A goalie will almost always have more of an impact on winning or losing a game then a 5th D-man, no one is arguing that, however when you compare each of their level of play compared to what is capable/expected, Ericcsson played comparatively worse. Howard could have been better, but he is NOT the reason we are down 3-0, as he has outplayed Nabokov overall. Oh, and please spare us by misquoting Bob Mckeanzie on how could Ericcsson be a Norris contender.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Much like Filppula didn't make a difference in a series like this.

Yes, replacing one of the best if not the best D-men of all time and certainly the Era with a forward will surely be good use of the cap money.

Drake normally I agree with you, but that argument is entirely unfair. A goalie will almost always have more of an impact on winning or losing a game then a 5th D-man, no one is arguing that, however when you compare each of their level of play compared to what is capable/expected, Ericcsson played comparatively worse. Howard could have been better, but he is NOT the reason we are down 3-0, as he has outplayed Nabokov overall. Oh, and please spare us by misquoting Bob Mckeanzie on how could Ericcsson be a Norris contender.

You obviously didn't read the original posts, so let me break it down for you. The OP was wondering what free agents were available. He was looking for a goal scorer. Kovalchuk was already thrown out there, so I suggested Marleau.

Brought up to speed now bud?

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

You obviously didn't read the original posts, so let me break it down for you. The OP was wondering what free agents were available. He was looking for a goal scorer. Kovalchuk was already thrown out there, so I suggested Marleau.

Brought up to speed now bud?

The mere fact that you would even entertain his idea of adding a forward is enough for me. In addition, your tone and word selection would, too most people anyway, show that you have at least moderate interest in the signing, as you do point out that we have Cap Space. And I'm not your bud.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

The mere fact that you would even entertain his idea of adding a forward is enough for me. In addition, your tone and word selection would, too most people anyway, show that you have at least moderate interest in the signing, as you do point out that we have Cap Space. And I'm not your bud.

Okay guy. Actually I have no interest in signing Marleau. Just answering his question of available goal scorers.

The Internets: Where people make up facts, and then support them with anything they so desire to qualify the statement with.

But don't go tellin' me that Hudler ain't a saint, 'cos I seen that man bring the dead back to life. Twice. On a Tuesday.

Okay guy. Actually I have no interest in signing Marleau. Just answering his question of available goal scorers.

Does anyone know if the "poison pill" loophole is prohibbited in the NHL CBA? I know this loophole has been exploited in the NFL a few times...

For those of you that dont know what this is, it applies to restricted free agents. Here is an example...

Detroit Signs Nicklas Backstrom to an offer sheet... say 10 years, 60 million. Under normal circumstances Washington would match this offer in seconds. However, part of the contract negotiated with the Wings would award a bonus of $40 million to Backstrom if he plays 30 games in the Verizon Center, making it next to impossible for the Caps to match...

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Does anyone know if the "poison pill" loophole is prohibbited in the NHL CBA? I know this loophole has been exploited in the NFL a few times...

For those of you that dont know what this is, it applies to restricted free agents. Here is an example...

Detroit Signs Nicklas Backstrom to an offer sheet... say 10 years, 60 million. Under normal circumstances Washington would match this offer in seconds. However, part of the contract negotiated with the Wings would award a bonus of $40 million to Backstrom if he plays 30 games in the Verizon Center, making it next to impossible for the Caps to match...

Genius Idea, but there is no way in hell the league would let that go down.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

If Kenny Holland could get Backstrom without giving anything up, I think it would be appropriate to erect a 50 foot statue of him outside of the Joe....the people mover would be in the way though....

If Kenny Holland could get Backstrom without giving anything up, I think it would be appropriate to erect a 50 foot statue of him outside of the Joe....the people mover would be in the way though....

Well, Washington would be awarded a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick. But thats a small price considering Backstroms a 22 year old forward that has already scored 100 points in this league. I Just wonder if the posion pill loophole is prohibbited, or if anyone in the wings brass would even think of doing it.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Well, Washington would be awarded a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick. But thats a small price considering Backstroms a 22 year old forward that has already scored 100 points in this league. I Just wonder if the posion pill loophole is prohibbited, or if anyone in the wings brass would even think of doing it.

I'm not sure if the legality status of a move like that when it comes to the NHL, but my good friend actually lives a few houses down to Ken Holland in Northville. Maybe I'll drop a little suggestion in his mailbox or something.

I just looked up some examples of this in the NFL, and was honestly astonished at the hilariousness of it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In professional sports, a poison pill is a component of a contract, which one team offers a player, that makes it difficult or impossible for another team (which has the right of first refusal) to match. While it can often refer to a salary structure or clause that would affect all teams equally, it has taken on a new specific meaning of a clause that has unbalanced impact. For example, in March 2006, the Minnesota Vikings offered Steve Hutchinson, an offensive guard with the Seattle Seahawks, a seven-year, $49 million contract of which $16 million was guaranteed. This contract offer had two poison pills in it. One was the salary structure, which would require the team to pay $13 million in the first year of the contract. That salary structure would apply to both teams equally, as the Seahawks would also have to pay $13 million in the first contract year, were they to match the offer. The second was a clause that required Hutchinson to be the highest paid player on the offensive line, or else the entire contract would be guaranteed. Since the Seahawks had another offensive lineman, Walter Jones, with a higher salary and the Vikings did not, this clause would have required the Seahawks to guarantee $49 million, and it effectively eliminated the Seahawks' opportunity to match the contract offer.

In the wake of this contract offer, similar clauses have appeared in other contract offers, including a contract offered to Vikings wide receiver Nate Burleson by the Seahawks, which, with irony fully intended, was structured as a seven year, $49 million deal. The contract given to Burleson had two vengeful poison pill clauses in response to the contract offered to Hutchinson. Firstly, it stipulated that if Burleson were to play five or more games in the state of Minnesota during any single season over the life of the contract, the entire $49 million would become guaranteed. Secondly, if Burleson were to earn more per year on average than all of his team's running backs combined, the $49 million would be guaranteed. Since the Vikings play half of their games at home in Minnesota, and their running backs combined earned less per year than the $7 million in Burleson's contract, Minnesota was unable to match it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

does anyone know what the Caps cap looks like for next season ? before signing Backstrom just curious, and i agree 22 already has a 100 pointer id give up 1st.2nd.3rd.4th and 5th for him could you imagine what this kid could do playing with Datsyuk !

Franzen-Datsyuk-Backstrom

Zetterberg-Filppula-Holmstrom

Cleary-Helm-Hudler

Eaves-Abdelkader-Draper/Miller

Kronwall-Rafalski

Stuart-Kindl

Lilja-Ericcson

I'd rather have Umberger or Cullen than Hudler. Cullen is basically a 50 pt guy who has some size and was a major force vs Pitts for Ottawa. Umberger has good size and could be useful as a 2nd line goal scorer, plus he picks up his game in the playoffs.I'm not too comfortable having so many guys under 6 feet tall on the top two lines.

Cullen is 33 and makes Hudler's cap hit this season, turning UFA in the summer, and has been a consistent second/third line forward the past few years who has played first unit PP time. Umberger has a cap hit of $3.75m the next two seasons (WTF?) while being a 45-55 point scorer playing first-line ice time and second-line PP time.

Cullen will be going for a raise. Umberger costs a million more over the same time frame, and is two years older. Plus RJ would cost assets because he's under contract. Umberger's numbers are inflated from playing with guys like Richards, Carter, Nash, Briere, Gagne, while Hudler has had wonderfully productive players like Draper, Maltby, Filppula, Kopecky, Helm, Samuelsson and Cleary on his line during the 08-09 season, none of whom cleared 20 goals or 40 points during that season while Hudler was the highest scoring player of any of the three (Hudler/Cullen/Umberger), despite the fact that the other two were often the second or even third highest scorers on their line based on end-of-season production.

Neither Umberger nor Cullen is particularly capably on the wing, and none of the three are terribly stellar on faceoffs, meaning none would be a very good choice to center a checking line, and again I mention only Hudler has shown the ability to maintain his full ability while playing on the wing.

So how are either a better choice than Hudler? I'll give you a hint. They're not. Hudler is a better choice to play on the wing with Dats or Z (who he has proven chemistry with, and who have better faceoff skills than Cheeseburger or Cullen) and Filppula on the third line is a much better choice than either. Save money on a player who fits better? Definitely.

No go. Bonuses are only allowed in entry level contracts, and can only be performance-based. You can't just have random bonuses like "If you win 20 divisional games in regulation time while posting 4 division shutouts, a .920 division sv% or better and 1.5 division GAA or lower then you get $3m" on a contract like you used to be able to. That's basically 3 goals every 40 shots over a span of at least 20 games, more likely 25-30; assuming the goaltender were to be played in that many (as the goalie approaches 26 wins, unless the playoffs are locked in, the backup likely gets the weak division opponents to kill the bonus chance if it's looking possible) As I said, only certain types of bonuses are allowed, and even then teams often try to avoid them (such as goaltender wins/shutouts/games played) if possible. When the team is fighting for a playoff spot and the team has no choice but to play a player who is closing in on a bonus, they have to accept it if that player hits the bonus (although the other team keying on that player if he's a forward does help the team's other skaters.)

But trying to get Backstrom with an offer sheet is a no-go as I said. The Wings won't give up the compensation, and Washington will match anything Holland is willing to pay.

That may be the sneakiest/funniest thing I have ever heard. But we all know the Wings don't operate that way.

So how are either a better choice than Hudler? I'll give you a hint. They're not. Hudler is a better choice to play on the wing with Dats or Z (who he has proven chemistry with, and who have better faceoff skills than Cheeseburger or Cullen) and Filppula on the third line is a much better choice than either. Save money on a player who fits better? Definitely.[/font]

You realize if it's either Filppula or Hudler who has to go on the third line, it's going to be Hudler, right?

You realize Filppula and Hudler had the exact same scoring rate at even strength in 0809, right?

Just Yes/No questions.

Edited by Z and D for the C