• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
YzermanLives

Expecting too much?

Rate this topic

Are we expecting too much of the boys?

Won 2008 2nd 2009

Came out and had a far sub-par season by Redwings standards .

They got hot at the end of the season and scooted from 9th behind Calgary to 5th .

They're taking way to many penalties and frankly some of those are head scratchers ,

and too me they just look tired .

4 Cups in 12 years? If you' have told me that n '94 Id tell you I'd take that .

Im not syaing it's over till it's over, down 3-0 they're still The Wings .

But honestly I'm not gunna cry if they get ousted here .

My 2 cents and I don't think it's worth that .

I'm expecting Howard to step up his game.

He's getting owned

Would Ozzy have been a better choice though ?

Veteran who's been there before sure but .....

I dunno hoping Jimmy gets this experience and either gets it and becomes a stud or moves on .

Getting swept would be pretty inexcusable, especially considering we had leads for large potions of Games 2 and 3.

There's way too much talent on this team to be swept. Stating the obvioous, but if we had held on today, the whole series would have been different. So the series isn't as one-sides as it currently seems.

It all comes down to work ethic, and quite frankly, I think the Sharks want it that little bit mroe and seem to have more energy.

Please don't get swept ... Howie could use a few more games to learn and pick up playoff experience.

I don't think we can expect much more from him, he is stellar at times and then it looks like he loses concentration at others, even if it is for a split second. He's young, he's got to learn, all rookie goalies do.

I get how difficult it was to get here with injuries and the like so that is a good feat in itself, but I don't think it's too much to expect or not ask to screw up a 2-goal lead in your most important game of the season.

I think that it's a very real possibility that this team is gassed. After a season full of injuries and an amazing run to the 5th seed, they could simply be running on empty. Obviously, going down 3-0 is really disappointing, but they've definitely given us an exciting season to this point - even if it hasn't always been what we were hoping for.

Hard to foresee them climbing out of this series hole with the way these three games have gone, but crazier things have happened. I won't consider this season over until the Sharks beat us one more time. We can all agree that they'll have to play better to keep that from happening, but that's not really the point I'm after.

The best thing sports can do is to give you something to root for and follow. Something to help keep your mind off of whatever stupid s*** might be happening personally. Much like the Tigers lost in 'Game 163' last year, the prospect of getting bumped from the playoffs is always disappointing for us Wings fans simply because of the level of success they've garnered over the past 20 years. Just like those Tigers, though, the Wings gave us something to root for throughout the season. It's had it's ups and downs, but you can't argue that it hasn't been exciting - especially over the past couple of months.

This team had the best record in the league after the Olympics and looked unbeatable.

So no, we're not expecting too much.

These players are not playing like they did a month ago. The intensity and urgency aren't there, despite having the same talent level with the injured players returning.

We're 4-6 in these playoffs. We all deserved to expect more.

I think that it's a very real possibility that this team is gassed.

This I can't understand. With so many of our top players out with injuries, most of them only played in half of this seasons games. These guys should be fresher than those who played the whole season.

The best thing sports can do is to give you something to root for and follow. Something to help keep your mind off of whatever stupid s*** might be happening personally. Much like the Tigers lost in 'Game 163' last year, the prospect of getting bumped from the playoffs is always disappointing for us Wings fans simply because of the level of success they've garnered over the past 20 years. Just like those Tigers, though, the Wings gave us something to root for throughout the season. It's had it's ups and downs, but you can't argue that it hasn't been exciting - especially over the past couple of months.

Man, I wish I could pull that off, but I can't. These games DON'T keep my mind off of the "stupid s***." Each of these losses just make me feel like life sucks even more. I've missed a lot of Wings games on TV this year, because of all of the games that were exactly like game 3. You could just see the same old s*** happening a mile away, and I refused to drive my mental health down even more by being a part of it.

Edited by Sgt. Angry

I think we the fans have the same expectations as the players do of themselves much of the time. For example, we expect Zetterberg to be a lot better than he has this whole year (and last year, imo) because he expects that from himself.

Guest Shoreline

I dunno about you guys, but when we hit the Olympic break, I wasn't even expecting the Wings to make the playoffs. They surpassed my expectations already, and I'm proud of 'em whether they won a single playoff series or pull off an amazing comeback and win more. Unfortunate for those who wanna take a dump all over their team just because they're staring in the face the possibility of not going back to the finals for the third year in a row.

This team had the best record in the league after the Olympics and looked unbeatable.

So no, we're not expecting too much.

These players are not playing like they did a month ago. The intensity and urgency aren't there, despite having the same talent level with the injured players returning.

We're 4-6 in these playoffs. We all deserved to expect more.

^^ Exactly.

People acting like this team struggled to get into the playoffs. They walked over everybody quite easily post-Olympics.

Also, as most anyone around hockey has said, they had so many injuries early it really was good they came back healthy with a month or two to go. They were rested! Everyone was fearing us, aside from what some in keep harping on. We were rested. Excited for Jimmys first playoffs. And glad everyone picked the Cul champs in September, again, - the Sharks Pens Caps Canucks ... even Phoenix was picked ahead of us by seasons end.

They have every opportunity to give the whole league the middle finger for another year of disrespect towards the Winged Wheel.

No excuses.

Unfortunately the refs and Jimmy are making it awfully hard to compete. Ain't got s*** to do with rest, our offense or anything else. Geez the REAL Wings were visible vs. Phoenix in Games 4, 5, and 7. They just can't beat every extra chance given to the other team. Phoenix series was no different. The refs were atrocious. The only question is CAN they overcome it now that there is no room for error.

People acting like this team struggled to get into the playoffs. They walked over everybody quite easily post-Olympics.

Wha..? You thought that was easy? Do you not remember all the close games?

I dunno about you guys, but when we hit the Olympic break, I wasn't even expecting the Wings to make the playoffs. They surpassed my expectations already, and I'm proud of 'em whether they won a single playoff series or pull off an amazing comeback and win more. Unfortunate for those who wanna take a dump all over their team just because they're staring in the face the possibility of not going back to the finals for the third year in a row.

Expectations change as the year progresses.

When the season began, people were expecting a lot. Then with injuries, we were just trying to make the playoffs. However, after the Olympics and once the playoffs began, expectations had to be much higher than being 4-6 in the playoffs.

So you expected us to miss the playoffs during the Olympic break, but how about once the playoffs began?

Wha..? You thought that was easy? Do you not remember all the close games?

Yes I do remember. My point is these guys were damn good the second half. I really don't think it was a bunch of fluky games we happened to win.

What the hell happened??

With so many of our top players out with injuries, most of them only played in half of this seasons games. These guys should be fresher than those who played the whole season.

The guys who were hurt aren't well-rested, necessarily. I'd be amazed if anyone who sat out with a major injury (i.e. Franzen) was 100%.

why wouldnt we expect more then the best. Hell they get paid millions of dollars... theres nothing to expect but a stanley cup. Games 1 and 2 could of EASILY been ours... Game 3 we lost ourselves... Its only the players fault for that one.

All I know is that I have tickets for tomorrow's game and I feel like I'm going to a wake!

I'm not sure what I think about this playoff run... We struggled against the Coyotes during the regular season and that didn't change too much in the first round, but at least we came out on top. We did well against the Sharks in the regular season, but the 2nd round has obviously been different. All three games so far easily could have come out differently. The officiating in 1 & 2 clearly hobbled the team, but we own the last loss.

Sharks won 3 straight in close games, it is not ridiculous to think that the Wings can do the same. After that it is 1 game for everything. As the cliche goes, you haven't lost until the other team has beaten you 4 times.

Post Olympic games got us over excited and we expected more. But Detroit Red Wings fans are spoiled. Us not getting in the playoffs wouldn't make sense. Atlanta Thrashers getting into the playoffs would be the greatest thing in the world for their fans. Regardless of how the Wings do this Thursday, I'm still happy to be a Wings fan and always will be.