Photo
- - - - -

Who would you most blame for a round 2 loss?

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:03 AM

Since there's a lot of complaining around here with us being down 3-0, I thought it would be interesting to see the way that people are distributing the responsibility for this round.

Edited by Zetts, 05 May 2010 - 12:04 AM.

#2 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:05 AM

POPULAR

All of them are the reason we're down 3-0. You win as a team, you lose as a team. The refs definitely aren't helping. And blaming Crosby is fun, no matter what it's for, so throw him in too.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#3 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:07 AM

Refs + Defense + Other (lazy)

Posted Image

#4 Hossa4Life

Hossa4Life

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:08 AM

I have to go with babcock for now. I still think he is the best coach but he has made some questionable lineup changes to say the least. Also i hate how he switches to a defensive style when we have the lead in the 3rd. We play our best when we control the play. dont sit back.

actually electrophile has the best answer

But I must be off, I have some jerking off to do. Oh btw I like to consider myself extremely attractive and am proud of myself for being your intellectual superior as I am going to UofM next year, and I am a better hockey player than Crosby.

Posted Image

#5 stuck in socal

stuck in socal

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:09 AM

@ Electrophile. I clicked the minus instead of the plus. I totally agree with you.
Playoff Time. Let's Go Red Wings!!!!

#6 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:12 AM

I don't know if I could name any one overarching cause. If we break it down game by game, though:

In Game 1 the blown call on Franzen was atrocious and cost the Wings the game. In Game 2 the refereeing wasn't great again but the Wings managed to skate to a 3-3 tie when all of the sudden Nick's stick breaks and the game-winner is in the net -- what can you do? Nothing about either the officiating or the integrity of a stick, that's just rotten bad luck.

Howard is squarely to blame for tonight's loss, though.

The Sharks have played the Wings very well but I feel like the Wings deserved a win in one of those first two games and didn't get it. Unfortunately, deserves got nothing to do with it. You win or you lose.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#7 Raptor1116

Raptor1116

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:15 AM

Howard.

4 goals against in every single game and he has the incredible ability to give up the timely goal.

#8 digitaljohn88

digitaljohn88

Sexy Wings!

• PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:19 AM

Defense and goaltending. The defense hasn't been really good. Howard has been solid, but far from great. We've become used to a higher level of goaltending in the last two years.

Coaching.

#9 AIK'91

AIK'91

Rookie

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:22 AM

@ Electrophile. I clicked the minus instead of the plus. I totally agree with you.

I also totally agree. So I'll cancel your minus.

#10 Rockitman

Rockitman

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:36 AM

Although I'd like to blame Sindey Crosby for the situation the Wings are in... ITS THE SALARY CAP!!! plain and simple... After losing Samuelsson, Hossa, Hudler last season I guess I was just dreaming thinking we would be better this year... We are obviously fatigued and we just can't roll four line like we used to and have NO secondary scoring whatsoever! It seems like the defense has been lackluster all year and Howard has proven all year he is not that Goalie who is just going to go out there and steal a game for you... Hopefully Holland and the staff do a good job of tweaking some things this off season because unfortunately we can't go deep with the team we have going right now...
C'mon Wings let's fly!!!

#11 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:41 AM

It's pretty tough to win when you've let in 4 goals every game in the series. We'd have to be scoring at a 5 goal per game pace. That's a bit much to ask.

You can blame the inconsistent PK but tonight they were a perfect 6 for 6.

That really only leaves our rookie goaltender who was over-worked coming into the playoffs (although I understand that that was unavoidable given the team's record at the Olympic break.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#12 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:43 AM

Howard.

4 goals against in every single game and he has the incredible ability to give up the timely goal.

Yep, he's not been Ozzie-08-09-regular-season terrible, but to give up 4 goals each and every game.....you gotta at least give your team a chance to win the game, and if you have to score 4-5 goals a game to win, that ain't gunna happen in the playoffs.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#13 Nic

Nic

Rookie

• Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:47 AM

I blame taking a break and trying to sit on a 2 goal lead on tonight's loss. If anything is consistent, it's this and has been for years. A 2 goal lead isn't a sure-fire win and we've been acting like it has been for a long time.
As for the last 2, I'll be in the corner crafting my tin-foil head gear and continue to be pissed at the refs for the 10 PKs we had in the last game alone.

Edited by Nic, 05 May 2010 - 12:52 AM.

#14 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:49 AM

Although I'd like to blame Sindey Crosby for the situation the Wings are in... ITS THE SALARY CAP!!! plain and simple... After losing Samuelsson, Hossa, Hudler last season I guess I was just dreaming thinking we would be better this year... We are obviously fatigued and we just can't roll four line like we used to and have NO secondary scoring whatsoever! It seems like the defense has been lackluster all year and Howard has proven all year he is not that Goalie who is just going to go out there and steal a game for you... Hopefully Holland and the staff do a good job of tweaking some things this off season because unfortunately we can't go deep with the team we have going right now...

Little known fact: Sidney Crosby personally vetoed Bettman's last minute decision to concede the cap to the NHLPA.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#15 TheOwl

TheOwl

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:51 AM

Howard. But I'm not too upset at him. Unless he plays in Game 4 and really sucks it up. Win game 4 Jimmy.

#16 Rockitman

Rockitman

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:52 AM

Little known fact: Sidney Crosby personally vetoed Bettman's last minute decision to concede the cap to the NHLPA.

:lol: little bastard...
C'mon Wings let's fly!!!

#17 Nic

Nic

Rookie

• Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:57 AM

Howard. But I'm not too upset at him. Unless he plays in Game 4 and really sucks it up. Win game 4 Jimmy.

Eh, Howie and Ozzy are very similar. They both make spectacular highlight-reel saves and hold us up when they need to, but let in some of the softies. Aside from Ozzy's rust, I think we would be in the same boat either way, to be honest.

#18 puckhog419

puckhog419

M.I.A.

• PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:57 AM

Crosby! that is where you point fingers

But you just don't put the third letter of the alphabet over your heart and replace Steve Yzerman!

#19 TheOwl

TheOwl

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:07 AM

Eh, Howie and Ozzy are very similar. They both make spectacular highlight-reel saves and hold us up when they need to, but let in some of the softies. Aside from Ozzy's rust, I think we would be in the same boat either way, to be honest.

I just expected ALOT more from him. I mean he didn't win us any games in the Phoenix series, he just was OK. He's supposed to be great, he has been great. He has had Halak style performances. But he's just a little mentally weak for some reason. It's not a good sign in my opinion. He's been bad, he's not been himself.

#20 Null

Null

Draftee

• 11 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:11 AM

Yep, he's not been Ozzie-08-09-regular-season terrible, but to give up 4 goals each and every game.....you gotta at least give your team a chance to win the game,

stopping 40 shots its doing more than enough to keep your team in it, even if you do let in 4 goals.. at some point the defense has to realize hes not god back there, throw him a bone and start helping him!

even if hes not stopping 40 shots, you cant cough up the give aways in the zone, or let up the odd man rushes and expect him to save you..

i cant blame howard at all with what was in front of him, losing these 3 games has been a team effort. not howards fault.

and if you have to score 4-5 goals a game to win, that ain't gunna happen in the playoffs.

um, sharks have had to score 4 goals a game to win. it does happen in the playoffs :P