Photo
- - - - -

Who would you most blame for a round 2 loss?

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#41 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:06 AM

The team, the referees to a degree, and the terrorists definitely 100%.

Terrorists suck.

#42 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:13 AM

I blame mindfly :lol:

#43 Four

Four

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:26 AM

I just expected ALOT more from him. I mean he didn't win us any games in the Phoenix series, he just was OK. He's supposed to be great, he has been great. He has had Halak style performances. But he's just a little mentally weak for some reason. It's not a good sign in my opinion. He's been bad, he's not been himself.

He's been as good as he was in the regular season. It's his first playoffs, which many people seem to forget. Not to mention he'd getting no help for the most part from the team.

O.o

#44 UKWING

UKWING

3rd Line Checker

• HoF Booster
  • 365 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:53 AM

there is plenty of blame to go round; it would not be 3-0 if:

- the wings centers hadn't been so awful on faceoffs.
- the defence did not continually turn the puck over like they have done.
- the wings had not spent so much time in the box. equal blame here goes to the whistle happy refs and to to the ill-disciplined wings.
- they had not sat back in the 3rd period last night.

also, if howard had played like ozzie did the past 2 years then the wings would probably be 2-1 or even 3-0 up instead. but i don't want to be too critical of howard because he is the main reason that the wings even made it to the playoffs and it is unfair (and wholly unrealistic) to expect a rookie to perform as well as ozzie did the past 2 years. and whilst i expected him to be better than he has been, if the wings had not hung him out to dry as often as they have, his play would probably have been good enough - it is not like nabby is standing on his head and badly outplaying howard.

overall though, the sharks have just been the better team and deserve to be ahead. there is not much in it but in the end the sharks have just been that little bit better.

#45 pockets

pockets

Pockets Smash

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:05 AM

I dont understand why everyone blames Crosby..... oh wait im not Carman what was i thinking, i do blame crosby, hes behind global warming, hes behind the lead in the stuff made in china and hes behind and most importantly the deficit in the states

#46 Ozzie30

Ozzie30

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:09 AM

I blame: Jonathan Ericsson.
Everytime the Sharks have a scoring chance, check the ice for 52 - he's usually standing still somewhere in the corner or laying flat on his face in the slot.
RIP #24

#47 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:21 AM

I blame the following things for being down 3-0.

1. Can't win a key faceoff. When was the last time the Wings got spanked in the faceoff circle in a playoff series. At least they improved last night, but they still lost key faceoffs. San Jose got 2 goals off lost faceoffs by the Wings.

2. No sense of urgency. I have said it before and I will say it again. The Wings needed to come out and play every game like game 7 of the Phoenix series. Where was the fire? Where was the playoff drive? Sure, you saw it for 10, 20, or 40 minutes at a time in this series, with last night being a 40 minute hard fought effort by the Wings. In the end though, the Wings have to play a full 60 minutes of that style of hockey and they didn't. Coasting in the 3rd period two games in a row? Are you serious? We gave up 2 3rd period leads this series.

3. Sub par goaltending in key games. I am a fan of Howards. That being said, his goaltending was shaky at times. He let in a couple stoppable shots in the Phoenix series. The tying goal last night was horrible. I know, its just a couple goals, but he has to stop those. Playoff goalies stop those shots.

4. The Sharks hunger. Unlike last season, the Sharks look like a team ready to erase all their playoff demons and "choker" demons in one run. Like it or not, this team DESERVES to be up 3-0. Coming back from deficits in the 3rd period two games in a row? That takes hard work and they should get high marks for their work ethic. We also chased the sharks around too much in this series. Usually, teams are chasing the Wings. Not this series.

5. The Refs. Yea, they were a factor. The bad calls in game 2 were horrible. You can't discount them entirely. The good teams fight through poor refereeing so I won't put them as the lone scapegoat.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#48 Grateful Gadsby

Grateful Gadsby

Rookie

• Pip
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:25 AM

I blame: Jonathan Ericsson.
Everytime the Sharks have a scoring chance, check the ice for 52 - he's usually standing still somewhere in the corner or laying flat on his face in the slot.

You can also count on Jason Williams being on the ice, as well. McClellan is a smart guy, and he probably reminded the Sharks at every opportunity to be on the lookout for one of Williams's patented boneheaded plays that no doubt will translate into a great scoring chance. If so, it certainly paid off in OT.

#49 servo

servo

Where will we hang this one?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:41 AM

Since there's a lot of complaining around here with us being down 3-0, I thought it would be interesting to see the way that people are distributing the responsibility for this round.

Without a doubt; Pavelski. Hands down. The guy has done everything.
I know exactly what I'm saying, so that when I'm fired, it won't be a slip of the tounge. Everything I say, I want to say. Don Cherry

#50 bulletoobinary

bulletoobinary

Draftee

• 11 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:50 AM

The reason were down 3-0 is because we as a TEAM lost three games. Screw the refs, screw so-called softies let in by howard, we need to find a way to win and we didnt. Thats it.

#51 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

As bad as the refs have been, I voted Howard for much the same reason as everyone else who did so. For me, its bad enough to give up 4 goals per game in the playoffs (you're not going to win many games that way) but the way he let in those goals was the real killer for this team. Goals after Red Wings goals, soft goals through the five-hole or being out of position, multiple quick goals against, goals off of poor rebound control, goals at the end of the period. I knew this team was in trouble when after the Cleary goal everyone seemed to KNOW they were going to give up a goal in the less than 90 seconds left in the period and sure enough 2 seconds left and Howard lets in a softy five-hole. It was all down hill from there.

Howard limped through the first series spare a game or two and he has done nothing to help the Wings this series. He is a rookie and its understandable he is getting his first playoff disappointment under his belt hopefully leading to future success with a healthier, more rested team. That doesn't change the fact that with slightly better than mediocre goaltending (and competent officiating) the Wings could be one game down or even up in this series. They haven't gotten that, so they are on the verge of a sweep.

Edited by b.shanafan14, 05 May 2010 - 07:51 AM.

#52 NvrFrgtRussian5

NvrFrgtRussian5

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

how about the whole team? You can't place the blame on anyone other than the team. They are getting outplayed by a hungrier opponent.

#53 Sgt. Angry

Sgt. Angry

Sgt. Angry

• PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:44 AM

Every time I see Pavelski and Setaguchi, I think of Draper, Maltby, or LaPointe 13 years ago. The grind line no longer exists - time to get rid of them. Ever notice that every time Flip gets the puck, he tries to go end to end by himself - but never makes it. Of course, if he tries to pass, it gets intercepted anyway. And whenever I see Williams or Ericcson on the ice, I switch to the Tigers game. Then I go back in a few minutes to note that the opponents have scored.
Why do the Wings look slow & tired? Hell, half the team had half the season off due to injuries. They should be the freshest team in the playoffs.
And our captain. Good lord, Nick, don't come on the postgame show and say "we may have let up a bit in third, and you just can't do that!" YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN DOING THAT ALL SEASON!!!! If you know that is your tendency, then you sure as hell should be looking out for it. As Nick said, "this games behind us - we're looking toward the next game." I guess this must mean that you don't learn from a whole season of screw-ups.
As for goaltending, get rid of both Ozzy and Howard. Then sign Miller and Brodeur, since they must suck even worse from first round exits, and could be had a bargain prices. :lol:
Watch out!!!! - it's the Sheik ---- and he's got an object!!!!

#54 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:08 AM

Choker-Nabokov has outplayed Howard by far.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#55 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:11 AM

How is Sidney Crosby not winning this poll? Everyone knows that he is responsible for everything bad that has ever happened. :ph34r:

#56 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,666 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:15 AM

I also voted for Howard.

Seems like most people think it's between him and the refs.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#57 Williams29fan

Williams29fan

THe NiCkeRS

• PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:28 AM

I blame Babcock 100%. Who in their right mind rides a rookie goal tender for 3 months straight? Only giving your experienced back-up 1 game since the Olympic break. Any goalie is going to wear down, especially a rookie who has never played a single play-off game in his career before this year. There were games at the end of the season where Ozzie could have played and even lost, but it still would have given Jimmy a break.

I just hope Jimmy doesn't get the sophomore curse and suck it up all next season like Mason down in Columbus.

#58 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:38 AM

I just hope Jimmy doesn't get the sophomore curse and suck it up all next season like Mason down in Columbus.

I predict he'll just fall down to his REAL level. He was playing better than he really is this season. Mason is a guy who's going to be one of the best in the game in few years.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#59 cupcrazy

cupcrazy

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 824 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:43 AM

there is plenty of blame to go round; it would not be 3-0 if:

- the wings centers hadn't been so awful on faceoffs.
- the defence did not continually turn the puck over like they have done.
- the wings had not spent so much time in the box. equal blame here goes to the whistle happy refs and to to the ill-disciplined wings.
- they had not sat back in the 3rd period last night.

also, if howard had played like ozzie did the past 2 years then the wings would probably be 2-1 or even 3-0 up instead. but i don't want to be too critical of howard because he is the main reason that the wings even made it to the playoffs and it is unfair (and wholly unrealistic) to expect a rookie to perform as well as ozzie did the past 2 years. and whilst i expected him to be better than he has been, if the wings had not hung him out to dry as often as they have, his play would probably have been good enough - it is not like nabby is standing on his head and badly outplaying howard.

overall though, the sharks have just been the better team and deserve to be ahead. there is not much in it but in the end the sharks have just been that little bit better.

You know,I can't remember the Wings EVER being this bad on the draw.I remember the days of when we had to have a defensive faceoff win the Captain,or Draper would win it for us.There's no doubt we wouldn't be down 3-0 if we could just win more faceoff's. I know they scored one goal in game two off the draw.
Posted Image

#60 puckhog419

puckhog419

M.I.A.

• PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:54 AM

i blame the officials for not letting us kick in the puck. they could of just turned their heads :hehe:

But you just don't put the third letter of the alphabet over your heart and replace Steve Yzerman!