Photo
- - - - -

Who would you most blame for a round 2 loss?

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#101 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,551 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 03:32 PM

Hockey is going towards puck posession game. It's different than in the 90's. Back then it was more about just being tough and playing anti-hockey. The new rule changed a lot. You can't hook, hold etc. like you could back then. You now have to actually PLAY the game. The team who has the puck more usually wins.

San Jose Sharks have gone towards our style as well. Todd McLellan is the biggest reason for that. It's also the biggest reason why they're dominating right now and why they won the Western Conference. That game style is also maybe the biggest reason why we have had this success recently and other teams are trying to do the same.

So, the modern hockey is definitely more about skill and less about toughness. We definitely don't need to change the way we are playing.

I'm not noticing our usual dominance with our puck possession style as we have had in years past, and especially more so during the playoffs...Look how effective the defensive pairing of Gill/Scuderi were last spring.

Part of our current problem is getting the puck outta our own end of the ice; our D is getting hit more often, and we're seeing many more scoring opportunities against us because of it.

I'm in favor of getting a few guys who can make the simple play along the boards instead of coughing the puck up in front of our own net (and clear the net the old fashioned way as well)...Along with that I'd like to see a few more guys capable of cycling the puck in our opponents end of the ice for a longer period of time; lets wear them out for once.

I'm certain our Cup teams from 1997, or 1998 would run our team of today (or our 2008 Cup team) into the ground in terms of skill, and toughness/physical play.

Edited by F.Michael, 06 May 2010 - 03:37 PM.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#102 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,904 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 04:44 PM

The fans.

The Sharks have not yet touched an Octopus. Someone needs to get out there tonight and throw one close enough to them that they will be inexorably drawn to it and they will touch it.

That, my friends, is the reason we have not yet won this round.

#103 RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

• HoF Booster
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 05:03 PM

Other = playing 73 extra games in the last 4 seasons - more than any other team.

Love the Wings - but that's a lot of extra mileage - sometimes you have to regroup.
New season, New start! May the force be with the Wings this time!

#104 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 05:16 PM

I'm not noticing our usual dominance with our puck possession style as we have had in years past, and especially more so during the playoffs...Look how effective the defensive pairing of Gill/Scuderi were last spring.

Part of our current problem is getting the puck outta our own end of the ice; our D is getting hit more often, and we're seeing many more scoring opportunities against us because of it.

I'm in favor of getting a few guys who can make the simple play along the boards instead of coughing the puck up in front of our own net (and clear the net the old fashioned way as well)...Along with that I'd like to see a few more guys capable of cycling the puck in our opponents end of the ice for a longer period of time; lets wear them out for once.

I'm certain our Cup teams from 1997, or 1998 would run our team of today (or our 2008 Cup team) into the ground in terms of skill, and toughness/physical play.

I too want to add some toughness to this team, maybe an enforcer. But that doesn't mean I want our game style to change. It would be a big mistake IMO, if we started playing the dump and chase game or something like that.

I think many pre-cap era teams would win this team. Rules have changed and you really have to play the game nowadays. The anti-hockey element is gone.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#105 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,551 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:09 PM

I too want to add some toughness to this team, maybe an enforcer. But that doesn't mean I want our game style to change. It would be a big mistake IMO, if we started playing the dump and chase game or something like that.

I think many pre-cap era teams would win this team. Rules have changed and you really have to play the game nowadays. The anti-hockey element is gone.

I don't think the Red Wings need to blow-up their current system, and resort to dump, and chase...I'm of the opinion that the Red Wings need to finish their checks (especially the forwards), and in some cases such as when they're in their own zone to simplify their play by getting the puck out by a deft bounce off the boards/glass.

Dmen like Rafalski are targeted all the time; I'd like to see the tables turned, and have Red Wings smash their opponents like we had seen on a regular basis in our 1997, and 1998 Cup years.

'Evolution' created by Offsides