• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Namtaru

Homer's slashing penalty and Z's disallowed goal

Rate this topic

The penalty was what we have seen all series long. This kick in s*** has f***ed us along other teams too many times. If anything, Z was trying to stop the puck to get his stick on it like any hockey player worth is salt. Beat the NHL's team and there goes the officiating. Go figure.

Even though I don't think Zetterberg actually 'kicked' the puck, under the current rules that goal should not have counted. I think they need to ammend the rule - just as the media was saying here in Canada on TSN.

The Holmstrom call was insane, just as the one late in the 3rd period was. I do not understand how any hockey fan watching this series can objectively say that the Wings aren't getting screwed a little. Obviously the Sharks are getting a few bad calls too but the Wings are getting terrible calls go against them at terrible times and way, way too often.

The officiating is turning me off so much so (even in other non-red wings games) that it's becoming hard to watch.

Guest micah

Homer's end of game penalty was pure stupidity on his part.

Also, that was clearly a distinct kicking motion. Can't blame those on the refs.

Also, that was clearly a distinct kicking motion. Can't blame those on the refs.

Agree on both counts. But that "slashing" call and a few others this series have been pretty damned terrible. However, I'm much more disappointed with the Wings inability to hold onto a freaking lead!

Z was just receiving the pass with his skate, but OK under the current rules maybe it isn't allowed - stupid.

The Homer slashing was pure fabrication to eliminate our power play - stat sheet makes it look like we got a power play but in reality we did not.

Sure the Wings had too many lapses in this series, but the refs truly dictated and controlled the outcome of these three games.

Pisses me off.

:thumbdown: I've watched all three games and was at the game last night...Homer's "PHANTOM" slash and the stupid disallowed goal occured right in front of me.

The trouble is, last night (and the whole series) there's a dramtic differential in what gets called. Homer gets hacked and whacked last night...no calls. Howard does it, instant penalty. The teams are too evenly balanced for the Wings to overcome the bulls*** officiating, hence three 1-goal games.

What appeared to me and my friends at the game is the Wings started to "back off" the puck in the corners and boards after the first period since any "HOCKEY" play going for the puck was whistled on the Wings and not on the Fish. That's just enough to give the Fish a slight edge, and in an essentially even series talent-wise enough to just barely lose.

I don't know if they showed it on TV, but there was three unbelievably distinct "Fish Dives", one directly in front of us last night. The Fish have learned the can fall down and get a penalty, and falling down won't result in a dive call (for them.) The Wings don't have enough talent differential over the Fish to overcome this disparity, and that's the reason they're going to lose...it IS a done deal.

I just don't understand. Can you explain? I mean, I'll ignore the fact that I have many years of playing soccer, and it is impossible to "kick" an object with your foot moving forward and have the object hit the side of your foot, and change directions 90 degrees. That is called a re-direction of the object. Now if in fact the object hits the tip/front of the shoe/skate, then yes it's a kick in.

I get that if someone has never played the sport of soccer before may be confused with this, but come on, haven't we all studied physics in highschool/college?

Edit:

In fact, in soccer if this exact situation happened, it would be considered as if the player fanned on kicking the ball, and it just luckily deflected in anyways. Its amazing how simple physics change from sport to sport.

Edited by Jasper84

I honestly dont think that it was a "distinct" kicking motion. Personally, it seems as though he stuck his foot out and it deflected off his kate moreso than him "kicking" it into the net.

I mainly posted the dis goal and homers final penalty just so people could see them, im not saying they were total bs

I think Mekah is a SJ fan she keeps stating s*** about Detroit and aginst them. That was NOT a penalty on holmstrom either time. 1st time he wound up but didnt touch him last 1 nabby was outta the net by like 5 feet.

I just don't understand. Can you explain? I mean, I'll ignore the fact that I have many years of playing soccer, and it is impossible to "kick" an object with your foot moving forward and have the object hit the side of your foot, and change directions 90 degrees. That is called a re-direction of the object. Now if in fact the object hits the tip/front of the shoe/skate, then yes it's a kick in.

I get that if someone has never played the sport of soccer before may be confused with this, but come on, haven't we all studied physics in highschool/college?

Guest micah

It's been a long time since I studies physics, that's probably why I saw a kick. I got the science of it all mixed up. That kinda answers my question as to why the water that these guys play on doesn't splash all over the place too I guess. I was going to start a thread about that.

I think Mekah is a SJ fan she keeps stating s*** about Detroit and aginst them. That was NOT a penalty on holmstrom either time. 1st time he wound up but didnt touch him last 1 nabby was outta the net by like 5 feet.

I calls them as I sees them without bias. I don't like the Sharks. At all.

Homer's first penalty was pure BS. Pushing a player down when that player does not have the puck is interference. Pushing him onto another player, especially a goaltender, is rather clear cut interferance. I think you're being a bit of a homer here. I wish I could say that the refs cost us this series, but really, I only thought that game 2 was terrible that way. there's room for argument on the kick, but I think it was pretty clear that Henrik was attemtping to kick the puck into the net, soccer-style.

Guest Shoreline

I don't think it was a kicking motion either, looking at every replay (instead of just one that Mickey wanted them to look at), and the rules have evolved to throw out good goals. Is this the NFL? Why did they need to go and put in all this gray area nonsense of what an actual kick entails. We know what someone kicking a puck in looks like. That was not a kick at all. Feel bad for Z but he didn't even seem upset by it in the slightest -- a rather apathetic look. Confusing.

Edited by Shoreline

My take on all 3 plays:

- Homer slashing - he did give him a bit of slash from behind, ticky, tacky call, but you can't do that when you are behind the play with the ref standing there watching. Not a good call in my opinion, but not a total phantom call either.

- Zetterberg's no goal - honestly, I think this could have gone either way. I have no problem with it being called off, especially based on the other no goal calls so far in the playoffs. He stuck his foot out (had he not moved his foot forward, it probably would have been okay). His foot also came off the ice, which isn't good. Pissed because a Wings goal was called back, looking at it from a certain perspective, but if I was a Sharks fan, I'd be really pissed if that counted.

- Homer interference - not sure what the issue is here, he was an idiot, clear interference if you ask me. A Sharks fan might even go the extra mile and suggest he took a dive as well after skating around the pile.

OK, HERE'S THE DEAL AND SEE IF IT MAKES SENSE (IT SHOULD IF YOU'RE PAYING ATTENTION!!!!!!

you can legally redirect the puck with you skate, correct? Now, unless you are stationary at center ice, you will be moving your skates all over the ice, and the blades will provide an infinite number of angles through which the puck can be redirected. Does that mean that you must remain standing in the center face-off circle and wait for the puck to redirect off your skate? No, that's ridiculous, of course. Therefore, you may obviously move your skates all over the ice and take advantage of any opportunity to redirect the puck into the net. THIS IMPLIES YOU WILL BE MOVING YOUR SKATE AT SOME POINT BEFORE THE PUCK GETS TO THE SKATE!!! If the puck is approaching you, and (presumably) your desire is to score goals, you will legally be allowed to move your skate into a position that both contacts the puck and effectively redirects it in the desired direction. THIS DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A "DISTINCT KICKING MOTION". "DISTINCT KICKING MOTION" shouldn't need any explanation so as to differentiate it from legally moving your skate into a position to intercept and redirect the puck!!! (Unless you are a replay official with the potential opportunity to bone the Red Wings!)

- Homer interference - not sure what the issue is here, he was an idiot, clear interference if you ask me. A Sharks fan might even go the extra mile and suggest he took a dive as well after skating around the pile.

Here's my single beef with this play. Homer was doing that, the ENTIRE game in front of the net and it was never called. Both Homer and the San Jose players were battling, falling down, shoving each other.

The only difference here is that Nabby was 5 feet out of his crease getting in the way.