• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Red Wings 2010

put ozzy in, now?

Rate this topic

122 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ozzie should have been in after game 2. Now it's just a matter of whether he starts, and if so whether he keeps enough out of the net for the Wings' 2-3 goal offense to actually win.

EDIT:

Looking at the poll so far, I'm thoroughly amused. Howard has a similar showing in game 3 as he did in game 2, and the poll results flip completely based on voting so far? Interesting...

Edited by eva unit zero

Ozzie should have been in after game 2. Now it's just a matter of whether he starts, and if so whether he keeps enough out of the net for the Wings' 2-3 goal offense to actually win.

EDIT:

Looking at the poll so far, I'm thoroughly amused. Howard has a similar showing in game 3 as he did in game 2, and the poll results flip completely based on voting so far? Interesting...

Howard wasn't a main issue of the Wings losing until last game. No logical reason he should've been pulled after game 2.

Could definitely put Osgood in for game 4 after Howard's showing last night, but it's not like it's going to matter. Series is all but over. Howard's been the man between the pipes, he either needs to miracally help pull this team out of 50 feet of crap, or go down the tubes like the rest of the team.

I vote for Osgood remaining out. Not because of Osgood, of course he's capable. It's Howard's team right now to sink or somehow miracally rise above.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Babcock said it perfectly last night. "Sometimes your goalie picks you up a lot and sometimes you have to pick him up, this was one of those nights." Howard had a bad game. Still, he has shown the ability to make great saves and keep the team in the game and he still brings our best opportunity to win. Neither of the first two losses were on him so it's foolish to throw Osgood in for no reason. All of us may have given up hope, but the team hasn't.

Edited by Z and D for the C

Have to agree with the last post. I did not think putting in Ozzie made sense earlier in the series and I still don't. Jimmy in my opinion was in no way to blame for the Game 2 loss. He may be part of the blame for this choking of Game 3, but he wasn't the sole reason. He's been the guy for months now, why take it away from him when the team is one loss from elimination? I mean, I love Ozzie, but I think he showed us all that Jimmy is the guy.

Personally I don't think it makes a difference at this point but hey, what do I know. You may be right.

And just a side bar, Ozzie has had such an amazing career for the Wings and means a lot to me as a player that I lived and died with. Part of me does want him in there because maybe it sucks for him to just be sitting on the bench after having such an amazing run the last two years. But that's a whole nother story, it just doesn't make sense to me at this point. Build some character up for our young Jimmy who I personally believe will be our man in net for years to come.

But that's just me.

Wow, the poll is about 50-50, I voted keep Ozzie out. First, he is so cold that he may let the first 4 shots in and it may look bad on him. How can you start a playoff game after not playing for 2 months? Let Howie finish it up. If we lose, we lose. In the bigger picture, think everyone is generally satisfied that we got this far. Don't mess around with Howard's psyche cuz that would put the blame for the loss of this series squarely on him. He could have been better but this is a rookie and he probably is going as far as any rookie may go. Would have been nicer if we took it to 6 or another 7 but that might still happen yet.

Yesterday I voted to stick with Howard and today my vote stays the same. I know most, or at least some, of you have said 'why not, throw Osgood in' and I get that. But to me, you've gone with Howard this whole time and this is where he gets his lumps. He knows as much as anyone that that 3rd goal last night essentially stopped the Wings from being back in this series. He's going to learn the hard way. Look at the bigger picture here. Either Hwoard goes out there in Game 4 and responds well, puts a solid game together when the chips are on the table or he stands there with his head up as the final buzzer goes and he learns what it feels like to be eliminated on home ice in the playoffs. He needs to be a man and take his lumps. This will be a major lesson in his career. It will drive him to work his ass off this summer and it will make him want it that much more.

I don't think you let him off the hook that easily by sitting him. I also don't think you throw Osgood to the wolves now either. You've stuck with Howard all the time. You live by the sword and you die by the sword. This is where Howard becomes a man and officially learns how to be our goalie of the present, not of the future anymore.

keep ozzie out... Jimmy has been the man for the team this season, so let him sink with the ship or rise above. Chances of wings coming back are slim, but you can't pull your main goalie out due to 1 game. Where was the team when Jimmy showed up for them in game 1 and 2? Granted the refs screwed the wings royally early on, but Jimmy did in fact show up during those games.

I still say no. I can't imagine Ozzie 'rescuing' us. If we come back, it will be a team effort. No more or less likely with either goalie. So it's better in the long run to let Jimmy get the experience of another (and hopefully multiple) elimination game.

Guest micah

If Ozzie wants in (and I suspect he does), put him in. He's done a lot for us. He won't win us the next 4, but if he wants a shot to be the story-of-the-year, give it to him. Can't hurt anything.

My vote remains no, for reasons mentioned above. Ozzy hasn't started in a looong time, I can't imagine him not using the first period to shake off the rust. Plus, Howard may very well be the future of the team, he needs this experience. Plus, IMO it almost seems like a slight to Ozzy to throw him in now that the series is essentially over....even if he is dying to play, Jimmy got us here, it's Jimmy the rest of the way.

For a "transitional" year, the Wings exceeded my expectations.

Guest Lidstromboli

bill ranford will swoop down from the rafters and save the wings' season

Guest Crymson

is there a reason my posts keep getting deleted?

Are you being obnoxious?

I can understand the reluctance of some of you to replace Jimmy, if you don't want Ozzy to get the 'blame' for the series loss.

It's a valid point I suppose, but I just don't see it happening that way.

IF Ozzy starts game 4 and lets in a handful and the Wings lose .. I still wouldn't blame him for the series.

The game, perhaps .. though I'll still point to Babcocks horrible goaltender mismanagement this season as the reason he's so cold.

but

If he starts and the Wings WIN (either by being spectacular or by the team responding the the change) then it's a new story.

I believe the Wings can WIN with Ozzy.

Yeah, it's a long shot. Really really very f***ing long shot at this point. But I still believe the Wings can WIN!

With Osgood.

Guest teef

Are you being obnoxious?

not that i know of. unless all sharks fans are considered obnoxious now.

Per Babcock, no way he's putting Osgood in.

"Babcock also shot down any idea he might put in Chris Osgood in place of goalie Jimmy Howard.

“I’ve made lots of goalie changes over the years when I’ve been coaching,” Babcock said. “I always do it for a reason. I don’t believe there’s any reason.”"

http://freep.com/article/20100505/SPORTS05/100505062/1320/Loose-Wings-might-sub-in-Ritola-for-Williams

I don't expect to come out of this with Howard or anybody, but I sure as hell hope Babcock gives Osgood a fair shot next year down the stretch. While I'm not happy at all with Howard's playoff performance this year, I still blame Babcock for putting too much on a rookie, just as I've been saying since November. There's no sense sugarcoating how poorly he's played the majority of the time in the playoffs, but there's also no sense holding it against him at this point. He's got a lot of potential, but probably 99% of the time, a goalie needs a few years in the NHL before they're really ready to carry a team through the playoffs.

Next year, let Osgood do what he does in the playoffs and let Howard watch. Then the next season, I'd be a lot more likely to put money on Howard answering the call when the playoffs role around.