• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 henrik40

henrik40

Lebda Sucks

• PipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:23 AM

This is not a penalty, some people are looking for a reason to blame someone other than the Wings for the loss. Blame the horrible third period where we just sat back on our heels or blame two softies Jimmy let in. The fact of the matter is this team has played a ton of games over the last 4 years. We are older, tired, and hurt and we are playing a team that, wait for it, is better than us this season!

#22 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:24 AM

Yeah that looks like too many me-- oh wait *puts hand up to earpiece* .. breaking news, San Jose Sharks and Gary Bettman responsible for 9/11.f****** terrorists.

Edited by Shoreline, 05 May 2010 - 11:25 AM.

#23 hockeynut

hockeynut

Jr. Prospect

• 27 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:27 AM

The four guys you circled are not and were not at any time involved in the play. If anything it was such a bad line change that the Sharks had "too few men on the ice" Clearly not the kind of call you make with the puck 75ft away from the players in question. I doubt you'll find a single hockey expert of personality (TV or radio) outside of Detroit who would think that was a penalty.

BTW, I think you guys are being a little hard on Howard. Yes, the last goal was due to him "cheating" off the expected pass, but it was a nice, very accurate shot by Couture, give the kid some credit. On the Thornton goal, actually the puck was headed straight for Howard's logo, but ticked off the shaft of Datysuk's stick which made it change directions. At least that is what it looked like on the Bay Area feed replay. Definitely not Howard's fault.

Edited by hockeynut, 05 May 2010 - 11:30 AM.

#24 SoDakWing

SoDakWing

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:37 AM

it is a legit line change. We got beat fair and square with this one. Quit trying to come up with excuses man.

#25 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:44 AM

If anything, it looks like an illegal substitution. A no call was the right call, but it just adds salt to the wound.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#26 henrik40

henrik40

Lebda Sucks

• PipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:45 AM

If anything, it looks like an illegal substitution. A no call was the right call, but it just adds salt to the wound.

How does it add salt to the wound if it was the right call?

#27 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:48 AM

red wings dont take away the pass on 2 on 1s its been something they HAVNT done all year. its strange.

#28 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:48 AM

In the overtime last night, SJ had 7 men on the ice with possession of the puck. Here is the proof. 16-6 calls against Detroit last 2 games and they can't call this 1 on SJ either. I swear Bettman and the nhl is against the wings. f*** sakes.

The Wings used to be able to beat their opponent and the refs. I recall this being the case whenever we face the Avs and Forsberg diving all over the place. Now we cannot overcome the bad refereeing. Ah heck I'm sick of all the excuses. We lost. We deserved to lose. Now we have to think about winning 1 game and go from there. Ah crap now I'm using cliches. I sound like one of those idiot radio guys. Only 7 on the ice? They should have gone for 10.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#29 MotorCityMadness

MotorCityMadness

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:54 AM

it would have not made any difference...the Wings coughed that one up and eventually would have had it not been on the OT goal
HEY HEY HOCKEYTOWN!

#30 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:54 AM

If anything, I thought it appeared San Jose was offside on the third goal.

That doesn't excuse Howard from letting in a horrible goal to Couture, but it just adds another break that went the Sharks way.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#31 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:56 AM

The four guys you circled are not and were not at any time involved in the play. If anything it was such a bad line change that the Sharks had "too few men on the ice" Clearly not the kind of call you make with the puck 75ft away from the players in question. I doubt you'll find a single hockey expert of personality (TV or radio) outside of Detroit who would think that was a penalty.

BTW, I think you guys are being a little hard on Howard. Yes, the last goal was due to him "cheating" off the expected pass, but it was a nice, very accurate shot by Couture, give the kid some credit. On the Thornton goal, actually the puck was headed straight for Howard's logo, but ticked off the shaft of Datysuk's stick which made it change directions. At least that is what it looked like on the Bay Area feed replay. Definitely not Howard's fault.

The Couture goal went fivehole on Howard and went off his right knee and just inside the post when it would have otherwise missed the net completely. Unless you're saying he intended to bank it off his knee, that was a damn lucky shot and deflection. Had Howard dropped his left leg instead, that's not a goal. You don't get credit for a "very accurate shot" if it's just a dump on net from the corner that happens to go in, which is all it was.

The too many men thing? That wasn't a penalty. The play was down by the Wings' net and by the time the refs would have even noticed the penalty, the puck would already have been in the net. It's not reviewable IIRC, so it didn't matter if the whole team was jumping over the bench at that point. Game over in less than a tenth of a second, the two extra players were 75 feet away.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#32 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:11 PM

Way to take away the pass, Rafalski.

Yeah, all that screen cap did was make me face-palm at Rafalski's play during that sequence. Man I wish it would've been Lidstrom back on that play.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#33 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:11 PM

Come on, that was a weak goal by Howard. The shot wasn't accurate - Couture just threw it on net from a horrible angle and Jimmy somehow let it through him. Two bad goals at the worst time last night from Jimmy. If anyone should take the heat for why this series isn't 2-1 today, it has to be Jimmy Howard.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#34 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:22 PM

Yeah that looks like too many me-- oh wait *puts hand up to earpiece* .. breaking news, San Jose Sharks and Gary Bettman responsible for 9/11.f****** terrorists.

Huh? Everyone knows it was Crosby and Bettman who did 9/11. The Sharks are the ones reading our thoughts at night.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#35 Octopus's Garden

Octopus's Garden

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 816 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:28 PM

There is no way this is a penalty in that situation. Had this happened off the Williams "shot" and the puck ricocheted out to the two guys coming out, then it's probably a call. Here ... No.

Williams sucks. I hope he gets benched even if Eaves is out. Play Meech.

#36 Sprsquirt7

Sprsquirt7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:33 PM

That's a borderline assessment, according to the precedent set by the league this playoffs it should have been called. But when has the league been consistent this postseason. If say marleau missed or howard saved that 2 on 1 and the puck continued does it change the outlook that this was an irrelevant play. When theres a technicality rule you can't really talk about circumstances.

#37 McCartyFanForLife

McCartyFanForLife

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:41 PM

Certainly not penalty worthy. If anything could be called it would have been an illegal change and the faceoff would have been outside. This is all hindsight because the refs didn't miss the frickin net with every shot he took including the last one (Williams). The refs didn't let in the weak 4th goal (Howard). The refs didn't blow defensive coverage (Ericson and Rafalski).

There's plenty of blame to go around; frankly I don't think anyone escapes blame for this series... even the coaches.

The Wings have looked ill-prepared and slow. There's no fire, there's no heart, and there's no excuses. Win as a team, lose as a team... and they will certainly lose as a team

#38 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:43 PM

I don't know, speechless it doesn't really matter what the rules say it's more like what the refs are feel like calling.

#39 clutchngrab

clutchngrab

clutchngrab

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:46 PM

Terrorists win!
Are you kidding? Block you? And miss watching you stumble around the forum looking for an argument like a dog sniffing butts? It would be like turning off a bad episode of Jerry Springer. You know you shouldn't be watching, but you just... can't... help... it...

#40 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:49 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image