• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
under_par_00

Most Profitable Cup Final

Rate this topic

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So which will generate the greatest profit for the NHL, and do you think it is going to happen????

I left San Jose and Philadelphia out of it, because I cannot see them drawing more money than the other teams for obvious reasons (not Original 6 or Canadian).

Do you think having an original 6 match-up would draw more money than having a Canadian team, Vancouver, in it? Or two Canadian teams?

Edited by under_par_00

Chicago/Vancouver vs. Pitt/Montreal

The two US teams are big expanding markets with a ton of bandwagon potential, Vancouver/Montreal would depend on everyone in Canada watching every game, probably not as good because Flames/Oilers/Leafs/Sens fans would not like it (from what I have heard, seems like most Canadian fans like their Canadian team and hate the others).

Chicago/Vancouver vs. Pitt/Montreal

The two US teams are big expanding markets with a ton of bandwagon potential, Vancouver/Montreal would depend on everyone in Canada watching every game, probably not as good because Flames/Oilers/Leafs/Sens fans would not like it (from what I have heard, seems like most Canadian fans like their Canadian team and hate the others).

It's actually the exact opposite. Western Canada vs. Eastern Canada. I hear from Flames fans daily that they are kinda pulling for Vancouver now even though they hate them.

It's actually the exact opposite. Western Canada vs. Eastern Canada. I hear from Flames fans daily that they are kinda pulling for Vancouver now even though they hate them.

Hmm, in that case it might be the best option, riding on the back of Canadian fans.

Looking unlikely at the moment though.

I left San Jose and Philadelphia out of it, because I cannot see them drawing more money than the other teams for obvious reasons (not Original 6 or Canadian).

Yeah, 'cause with San Jose being in the 6th largest Metropolotain area in the US it would't help in drawing money to the local economy, ticket sales, concessions, merchandise, ratings, etc. You're always better off drawing from a smaller pool of potential fans to generate revenues. :rolleyes:

I went with the all-Canada final of Vancouver v Montreal. Surprised to see that many people voting for Detroit and Pittsburgh again. I don't think anybody (outside of those 2 fanbases) wants to see that again and would actually be detrimental to the NHL.

Yeah, 'cause with San Jose being in the 6th largest Metropolotain area in the US it would't help in drawing money to the local economy, ticket sales, concessions, merchandise, ratings, etc. You're always better off drawing from a smaller pool of potential fans to generate revenues. :rolleyes:

They would draw revenus, no one said they wouldn't.

It just wouldn't compare to original 6 or Canadian teams. It's not really up for debate. It's just true.

Edited by crotty99

I screwed up and hit null vote, I was going to vote for Detroit/Pittsburgh the third.

I could see that as being the best possible scenario for the NHL (they wouldn't have to spend much money on creating new ads :hehe:), both teams have very large fanbases both in the local market as well as scattered throughout the country (higher ratings), and why would the league not want their most marketed player back in the Finals against the most successful US franchise again.

Personally, if the Wings don't make it I want to see Vancouver win it, my reasoning is as follows:

I have co-workers that are fans of each of the remaining Eastern teams and Chicago, so I can't stand to hear the bragging that would go on (it was bad enough hearing my Pens fan co-worker and he was very gracious about the whole situation) and if San Jose knocks us out I want them to go down in flames at the hands of their next opponent (I'm not opposed to the Sharks winning the Cup, just not at our direct expense).

Chicago and Montreal probably...

and no offense Sharks fan, but no one in Canada, and the rest of the US wants to see San Jose in the finals. that wouldnt be a money maker at all. wouldnt generate that much interest.

thats like sayin people would rather watch a world series with the Giants in it instead of the Yankees and Cubs or something.

San Jose - Philly would be a disaster.

Gotta go with the majority here and say Chicago / Pittsburgh.

The young, defending Champs against the high-powered, exciting 'Hawks. IF this is the Final, I don't see how the 'Hawks don't take it.

So is Pittsburgh original 6 or Canadian? In terms of ratings, which won't have an immediate financial impact I don't think, more longer term, I think Pittsburgh vs. Detroit would bring the most fans to watch.

Part of me thinks having San Jose in the finals might help with the south, but you have to imagine a lot of the people in the North east will be uninterested.

An original 6 final would be great for the dedicated fans, but would that really do much to bring in new fans?

If the Red Wings aren't gonna represent the West then I'd like to see a Chicago/Boston (or Montreal) Cup Finals.

I could honestly care less of the so called "new fans"...Chances are they'll become fans of the Pittsburgh Crosby's.

I understand that, but the question was with respect to what would be most profitable for the league. I'm not an expert, but I would assume that new fans will bring in more revenues and existing fans would likely not be lost.