• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest mindfly

Knee still hampers slumping Johan Franzen

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly

Detroit -- Wings forward Johan Franzen set a pretty high standard for himself during the Wings' last two playoff runs.

Franzen amassed an NHL-best 25 goals in the 2008 and 2009 playoffs, one more than teammate Henrik Zetterberg and Pittsburgh's Evgeni Malkin, the last two Conn Smythe Trophy winners as playoff MVP.

So it was alarming when Franzen scored just one goal in the seven-game series against Phoenix. He has one goal in three games against San Jose. Franzen does, however, have an assist in all but one of the Wings' nine playoff games, including one Tuesday night, in the Wings' 4-3 overtime loss to the Sharks.

"The puck just hasn't been going in for him," Wings captain Nick Lidstrom said of Franzen. "He's been making plays and he's been getting assists and helping our team score goals. I'm sure he wants to chip in with a few more goals, but he has been chipping in for us."

So what's been the problem with putting the puck in the net?

Franzen says he's slowed by the surgically-repaired ACL in his left knee.

"I haven't been able to play the same way as I have the last two years because of my injury," Franzen said. "I don't have the same speed. I can't get myself in the same positions to score. That's just how it is. I won't be 100 percent until next year."

In past postseasons, Franzen's 6-foot-3, 222-pound frame, combined with his exceptional speed, made him a nightmare for opposing defenses.

The knee injury has sapped his speed, so Franzen has had to figure out different ways to be effective.

"I just need to find better ways to get open and we need to spend more time in the offensive zone for me to get chances," Franzen said about scoring more goals.

Wings coach Mike Babcock didn't even think he'd have his big forward for the playoffs when Franzen hurt the knee Oct. 8 in a 3-2 victory over the Blackhawks. Franzen's mere appearance in these playoffs has been a bonus for Babcock.

"I think the Mule has recovered from his injury better than we could have ever anticipated," Babcock said. "When it happened, we anticipated he'd be like a lot of guys and wouldn't even be a factor until next year.

"He played his best game in the playoffs in Game 7 against Phoenix (one assist, five shots in just 13:26) and we need that game from him again (Tuesday). It's all about skating for the Mule."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100505/SPORTS0103/5050335/1128/Knee-still-hampers-slumping-Johan-Franzen#ixzz0n8s1oVoQ

Kinda obvious when you see him play, them ******* acl tears are no fun whatsoever..... <_<

Edited by mindfly

I'll take 11 points in 10 games from a slump any day. Of course I'd rather see him scoring goals like the last few years, but I don't think offense is really our problem. :(

At least he'll [probably] have about a month longer to recover before next year.

Strange how this comes out now usually this type of news comes out after they are out

It's not really news... it's obvious. Yeah, you can come back and do athletic things 3-6 months after that surgery, but medically it takes closer to a year to regain something close to normalcy. I'm really happy with his play considering he's coming back from a significant knee injury from earlier this season.

Still averaging a point per game which is not too shabby at all.

In all seriousness though, it is a pain in the rear to come back from. Remember when Jiri Fischer tore his ACL in 2003 (?) In most of 2004 it wasn't his year, he often struggled, and I think he was even scratched for a game or two in the playoffs.

I tore my ACL and MCL playing pickup basketball back in college and had reconstructive surgery on it over 6 years ago, while it doesn't inhibit me from doing anything, I'm pretty much done with contact sports the rest of my life and if I go for a lengthy run/jog or workout or whatever, I'm usually limping for a few minutes after the workout. Hell, when I used to play golf after the surgery, I'd be limping after a while. The knee will never be the same.

Still averaging a point per game which is not too shabby at all.

In all seriousness though, it is a pain in the rear to come back from. Remember when Jiri Fischer tore his ACL in 2003 (?) In most of 2004 it wasn't his year, he often struggled, and I think he was even scratched for a game or two in the playoffs.

I tore my ACL and MCL playing pickup basketball back in college and had reconstructive surgery on it over 6 years ago, while it doesn't inhibit me from doing anything, I'm pretty much done with contact sports the rest of my life and if I go for a lengthy run/jog or workout or whatever, I'm usually limping for a few minutes after the workout. Hell, when I used to play golf after the surgery, I'd be limping after a while. The knee will never be the same.

No doubt. It's still more than some players average without coming back from a serious injury. Hell, it's more than some players average without having an injury at all. While it's not his normal play, it's still not bad at all.

Strange how this comes out now usually this type of news comes out after they are out

Actually, he said almost the same thing sometime between the Olympics and the playoffs, ie the knee isn't 100%, its still causing me pain and I won't be close to 100% till next season.

To be brutally honest I thought he came back too soon from the injury anyway, based upon what I've read from various athletes who've had major knee surgery.

Bottom line: he starts putting pucks in the net starting tonight, we have a shot at taking a couple of games. Combine that with Howard playing better, Datsyuk and Zetterberg playing like we all know they can and keeping Jason Williams out of the lineup, and we could make it out of this series alive.

We must remember, these are the San Jose Sharks we're playing. They haven't really had a choking moment yet this post-season...aside from the own-goal OT loss. I think they're due.

I agree. This guy has been invisible. If only he'd score 3-4 goals within a 5 minute span. :yowza::siren::siren::siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

I know. Someone's gotta give the Horn Operator some work to do........

....PUNCH THE CLOCK, DUFFER!