• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Detroit Red Wings, 2011 Stanley Cup Champions

Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

great article: http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/05/grading_the_red_wings_team_nee.html

sounds like Holland's #1 goal is to add a 4th line grinder that brings a physical presence.

1) Filppula-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

2) Franzen-Zetterberg-Bertuzzi

3) Hudler-Helm-Cleary

4) F.A.(?)-Abdelkader-Eaves

13th - Miller/Ritola

14th - Draper

1) Lidstrom-Rafalski

2) Kronwall-Stuart

3) Kindl-Ericsson

7th - Lilja(?)

8th - Meech

1) Howard

2) Osgood

Edited by blueadams

Guest blueadams

I do agree with the idea of splitting the pairing of Lidstrom and Rafalski on at least a trial basis. For the exact reasons you stated.

It's really getting ridiculous watching teams dump and chase on our first pair like they do.

First of all, I am reading way, way too much panic and negativity about this team moving ahead in the future on the board. So I'd like to revisit some facts. Fact #1) The Sharks are probably the best remaining team (besides us) in the playoffs, correct? So they are the major obstacle standing between us and a second stanley cup, and third finals appearance, in three years. Fact #2) We have outplayed the Sharks in at least two out of three games this series, and maybe in all three. Bad officiating and lucky breaks, NOT TALENT OR COACHING, is the main reason we are down 0-3 instead of up 2-1 or even 3-0...and again, that's against the best remaining team in the playoffs. Fact #3) This isn't the greatest Red Wings team we've ever seen. We have our holes. We don't have remarkable depth. But it's the salary cap era. Comparitively, we are still one of the best 2 or 3 teams in the league...and we had a real chance to beat the sharks and advance. And does anyone remember that this was supposed to be a REBUILDING season after the catastrophic off-season!?!? ANYONE?? The SKY IS NOT FALLING.

Second, on to next season...

Forwards:

Filppula-Datsyuk-*Holmstrom(UFA)

Hudler-Zetterberg-Franzen

Cleary-*Abdelkader(RFA)-*?????

...best options? Frolov, too expensive? Tanguay? S. Koivu? Kariya? Selanne?

*Miller(RFA)-*Helm(RFA)-*Eaves(RFA)

Draper

...Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Filppula, Hudler, Holmstrom is about as good a top six as there is in the league, no question about it. I think that Helm, Eaves, Miller/Draper make a solid fourth line. The issue is the third line. I like Abby centering it. I like a back to his old ways Cleary on the wing. I don't like a slow, out of shape, can't handle the puck, can't play defense, refuses to hit Bertuzzi on the other wing. This is where we need to add someone. Someone that can score a little, plays good defense, and HITS people (or maybe someone that can just score??). We can win a stanley cup with this offense, no doubt about it. Having two guys that are really good with the puck - Hudler and Val - to go along with Pav and Hank on the top two lines is really, really going to make a difference for us next season.

Defensemen:

*Lidstrom(UFA)-Kronwall

Stuart-Rafalski

Ericsson-*Lilja(UFA)

Kindl

...I for one, do not think that Lidstrom retires. If he does, simple, sign Volchenkov, problem solved (or at least as solved as it's going to be). If Lidstrom does return, however, I think that he and Rafalski need to be split up at even-strength. Both would benefit from having a physical partner at this point in their careers - Kronwall (for nick, the out of position puck mover), Stuart (for raffy, the in position bone crusher). Kindl's going to be on the big league roster for sure. I think his skills overlap more with Lebda's than Lilja's, so in making that decision, I'd chose to bring Lilja back. Plus, who knows if Ericsson will rebound or continue his downward spiral next season. Lilja can step in for him, for sure.

Goalies:

Howard

Osgood

...Nothing to talk about here. Howard was incredible in the regular season. Game three of this series is really the only "bad" game I think he's had all post-season. Not bad at all for a rookie imo. Ozzie has one more year left on his contract. Needs to contribute more next season.

David Clarkson,please.dear God.

My real point about THIS season is this. I am also, BTW not wearing Red Wing Colored glasses. THIS playoff I refuse to adopt this nonsense a few here have about being happy to even BE in the playoffs or 'even better', the 2nd. Pul-leeze!! I think our team is very much equipped to go 4 rounds and bring the Cup back where it belongs: Motown. Hockeytown (PERIOD. None of this Hockeytown, "USA" crap). Deeeeeeeee-Troooooiiiiitttt!!! Of course I didn't see a 3-0 hole, but ..

This years remaining teams just don't look unbeatable although the Habs and Bruins are feelgoods.

Anyway the Wings CAN win this. IF of course we cone back, 1 game at a time until 4.

Now the Refereeing. Not just us but other series too! Too much directly deciding games.

And a few very deflating goals.

Other than that I just SEE us winning this whole damn thing and a rookie in net even weirder. In Detroit. After all our nightmares in goal. Hahaha. Yeh OK maybe I'm crazy and just such a fan. I think we can do it. I do.

So why look to next year, yet. I assume the threads meant to calm the doom and gloom about the future. We got a series we could've been up the exact 3-0 s score. The future is indeed not bad at all. And remember, Stevie Y's heart is stitched into a little corner of that jersey. He will carry the torch in the future. Were in great hands.

I love the thread though. Except the Selanne part!! (Ughh hell nah I just see those hated Anaheim colors when I look at his face).

Go WINGS!!!

Guest blueadams

how about Jagr? He said he's coming back to the NHL this season. Wants to win a Stanley Cup. Would sign cheap enough. Looked awesome in the Olympics.

Filppula-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Hudler-Zetterberg-Franzen

Cleary-Abdelkader-Jagr

Miller-Helm-Eaves

Draper

Lidstrom-Kronwall

Stuart-Rafalski

Kindl-Ericsson

Lilja

Howard

Osgood

I liked your original post, but then you followed up with a 3rd line of Cleary-Abdelkader-Jagr. I can see the negotiations now:

Holland: "We've got you slotted on the 3rd line w/ Apple Fritter and that Newfie guy Cleary. No one's gonna touch you."

Jagr: "My agent should be here any minute. Wait, never mind - I'm not sure I need him. Where do I sign!"

I liked your original post, but then you followed up with a 3rd line of Cleary-Abdelkader-Jagr. I can see the negotiations now:

Holland: "We've got you slotted on the 3rd line w/ Apple Fritter and that Newfie guy Cleary. No one's gonna touch you."

Jagr: "My agent should be here any minute. Wait, never mind - I'm not sure I need him. Where do I sign!"

Ha yea at least give him hudler

It seems like Franzen and Datsyuk work really well together during the regular season. In the playoffs, on the other hand, Franzen works better with Zetterberg because they both just like to shoot it from anywhere while the other gets it back, which works better during the playoffs where players don't have a lot of room.

Guest mjtm77

It seems like Franzen and Datsyuk work really well together during the regular season. In the playoffs, on the other hand, Franzen works better with Zetterberg because they both just like to shoot it from anywhere while the other gets it back, which works better during the playoffs where players don't have a lot of room.

Dats makes his own room

Guest blueadams

lot of talk about Bert being back next season tonight. Let's think about that.

Filppula-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Zetterberg-Bertuzzi

Hudler-Helm-Cleary

Ritola-Abdelkader-Eaves

Draper

how much better is that team than this year's team?

Guest mjtm77

Iam looking forward to next year but we need more size and we go Hurdler :angry: O well hopefully we can get some size in the offseason

Edited by mjtm77

I'm a bit worried actually. We've had the same team more or less for the past 4 seasons. Sure, the results have been good, I'm not pissed at all they lost. BUT this team a year from now WILL lose to the Sharks again. The Sharks were better, and yes, if Game 2 wasn't so poorly officiated, maybe it would be a different series. The 4-1 doesn't represent how close each of the games were. But Hudler isn't going to bring this team to the next level. We need an overhaul of the 3rd and 4th lines. I like Eaves, I like Miller. But we need a bit of goal scoring from those lines. Those lines were SILENT. They created good chances, but couldn't finish.

Basically my worry is the Wings don't have any top forward prospects down the line, the next "Franzen" you could say, a potential 2nd/3rd line player. That's my worry. The D prospects are good, the goalie prospects are good. But the forwards aren't. We need fresh guys, some pro SHOT BLOCKERS, some real grinders to do with Helm and Aby. We need fresh blood.

I may sound crazy for saying this but I count on Osgood to be better next year and for the Wings to return to their 1A-1B goaltender format.

In a way, Osgood HAS to be better because I don't think Jimmy is immune to a sophomore slump. Expectations are now high on him and he's going to struggle a little bit. Therefore the Wings will need Osgood to step up.