• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:01 PM

Not to take anything away from Bertuzzi, but I think Franzen was the biggest reason Bert racked up those points.

Bertuzzi created the drop pass to Franzen by cutting across the lane and dragging the D with him creating a momentary criss cross screen for Nabby and thats all Johan needed to blast one by him. Don't underestimate that play by Bert. Same with his pass all the way across ice between defenders to Raffy's wheel house for the one timer. And the perfect screen and tip for the first goal. It wasn't going in without his redirect. That is how he scored many if not most of his goals in Vancouver. If that first goal didn't happen, who knows what the outcome of the game would have been. it sure set Franzen off on a terror. Bert has great vision, great playmaking sense, and great hands, and he is still a big body out there to reek havoc.

His down fall is when he thinks too much and a little too slowly, then he tries to force a play even though it's timing has passed. I think Franzen moves into the scring lanes with such speed and precision that Bertuzzi doesn't have time to think too much, he just sees it and figures out a way to get him the puck. ANd franzen finishes.

Do not under estimate the value of Bertuzzi's role in Franzen's goals. Bertuzzi earned his 5 point night.

Edited by T.Low, 07 May 2010 - 01:02 PM.

#22 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:11 PM

I feel like Bert's big games are few and far between. Don't get me wrong though, for the points he puts up at 1.5 mil he's a bargain. I just get so pissed at his lazy play which occurs more frequently than his big games. I'm rather indifferent to him coming back or not.

I agree that he can be frustrating because you know what his potential is/was. However, he cannot perform at that level all the time because the dude has a f***ed up back, in a major way. I've seen what back problems do to athletes; he's gott em and it is what it is. His pay reflects that fact (among others)

On the one hand, I don't think he got a single phone call to play last year, not even a thank you good luck call from Clagary. Detroit gave him another chance, so I think his price should stay low.

On the other hand, he is now being showcased for the entoire NHL to see again, and he is doing well, so of course he may be a bit more in demand again. Hmm.

Edited by T.Low, 07 May 2010 - 01:13 PM.

#23 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:13 PM

We won't make the playoffs with Bertuzzi on the team. :thumbdown:

Posted Image

#24 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:28 PM

i think he especially plays best when he plays with confidence. hopefully he keeps going, and as for a resign i'd like to see him back for sure.

#25 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:43 PM

If I'm not mistaken, his playoff numbers this year exceed the usual Hudler playoff numbers for us.

Hudler is younger than him, which is the only long-term advantage of keeping him over Bertuzzi. Doesn't matter if he leaves the team again, however.

At the end of the day, though, I'd rather have Bertuzzi than Hudler.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#26 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:49 PM

And I will gladly come on here to say how wrong I was about Bert. He just needed another power forward on his line to compliment his play. Amazing game Bert! Don't make it just a flash though...Keep it up!
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#27 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 02:07 PM

Bertuzzi deserves to be re-signed, not just because of last night, although it certainly helps make the case. He looked great out there, two amazing passes that led directly to goals and the nice redirect that Babcock has been looking for.