• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wings4Life19

game after a blowout win

Rate this topic

is it just me or does it seem like after the Wings blowout a team, whether its 7-1 SJ, 5-0 Pitt, or 9-1 CBJ the next game they always seem to come out flat. that does worry me a bit, but at the same time they have never done it in a situation like this where they are still on the brink. i do expect this game 5 to be the toughest game of the series for the wings to win(even if it goes 7) just for the fact that the sharks are still very confident that they will win the series. if the wings can pull out a game 5 win the sharks will be terrified that they have to play a very confident wings team at JLA with thoughts of an all-time choke in their minds. I think that if the wings have the mental thoughts of get another home game they will have win, but with a score like 4-2 not 7-1.

The Sharks do not have the makeup of winners.

They are a fragile group. Even our former coach, knowing our team well, has shown that he can't always use that to his advantage.

As far as I'm concerned, they are the supposed winner as everyone including some Wing fans seem to think we are lucky to even be here.

I don't buy THAT, but .. anyway my point is we needed 1 win. And a convincing win is better than us winning 2-1. The Sharkies then would say "oh, it's OK boys, we almost closed it out." Now that they were blown out, they are using the line of "weird game. lucky Wings all night ..." blah blah blahhhh.

It's embarrassing to them believe it! Because Nabokov has finally been lit up like he shouldve been at least 2 other games. The floodgates are open. And if I'm a Sharkie fan, reality is, he CAN be lit up again by a Wings squad that will dominate IF we get:

-fair officiating BOTH ways

-Jimmy NOT giving up deflating goals and just makes the routine saves.

The Sharks are no match just like pretty much any other team. Wings cannot be matched when those two things BOTH happen.

7-1? No biggie? We shall see. But I'm betting the Sharks ARE talking a good game right now, but inside, at the same time, the doubt has begun - if nothing more than "geez guys, what if??" We win Game 5. Just 1 more. One game. I predict the series is over!!

Unless of course we get the refereeing in Game 7 thats the same s*** calls that had the Sharks up 3-0 a day ago. Fair calls. Jimmy just being solid. This series is ours. And the Sharks know this summer will be a disaster for their team after 4 playoff flop in a row (the last being a blown 3-0 series lead in 2010). Management WILL NOT ice this lineup next October. That's not pressure?

Wings lose - noone but US care. The national media in Canada and US had us picked first, to miss the playoffs and second, now lucky to even beat Phoenix.

Go WINGS!!!!

Edited by motorcitykid

I couldn't agree more. To me, the difference this time is the wings have responded very well this post season in close-out games; obviously last night and in round 1. We have yet to see if they'll go back to back. Besides, the last two losses were only by 1 goal...and in both games they blew 3rd period leads. The wings are in this! Lets hope they respond again in another close-out game on Saturday.

- What if the wings didn't rally from 0-3. "History will be made" Can we get an NHL commercial ?!

Go Wings!!

It's not just the Wings that suffer this phenomenon... it's very common. After putting so much blood, sweet, and tears into an effort, it's naturally hard to turn right around and ramp things up again. The only thing that'll be working for us is that "3" on the Sharks side of the equation and the fact that the Wings know what happens if it goes to "4". Cornered teams often play with more desperation.

Even worse, we now have to play a team on their home ice that we've embarrassed and ticked off. Not a good combination.

Don't get cocky. The odds are still against the Wings and the Sharks are a very, very good team.

Saturday is crucial, though. The Sharks are going to try and close the deal, but the WIngs may have an advantage here: As great as San Jose has been, I'm not sure they have that "higher level" to kick into like the Wings do. So I'm hoping against hope that what we've seen so far is as good as the Sharks can be. Obviously that's still really damn good but if the Wings can keep it together and win the next two games, I think Game 7 will take care of itself. But one game at a time. The Sharks will be looking to clamp down, so the Wings need to stay sharp and play hard. Howard has to be huge. The refs have to not suck. Even in this blowout game I think they were calling too many penalties.

At any rate, the Wings have kindled a little bit of hope in me. I stick with them to the very end, I just hope that end isn't until much, much later.

Certainly it's possible, and hey, another "statement" blowout game would be nice, but I'm not getting greedy. ;)

Guest mindfly

Question is... Will franzen ride with the hot stick or cool down?....

Edited by mindfly

The Wings have played below their capability all series, from the goaltender out. Last night was just about as good as they could play, but in the end they really only won one period, so its hard to get a gauge. I was pretty worried in the third because the energy level was non-existent and instead of playing like its tied, they were forming bad habits and playing sloppy because it really didn't matter anymore. That's my biggest worry, that this game was a pretty fluky win, to one degree or another and the Sharks are now in a better position because of it. The Sharks now know to take the Wings seriously and play them tighter and the Wings now, whether they admit it or not, will have inflated confidence.

I'm hoping I'm wrong and the Wings just realized again what they are capable of and now will play like that from now on, but I'm more apprehensive that the Wings will come out flat and the Sharks will come out pissed off, putting the relaxed Wings away with conviction.

Either way, GO WINGS!

Well, this season Wings have been playing their best hockey when on the brink of elimination. I don't think this condition would've changed if we won 2-1 in 3OT or 14-3. They're still down two games in the series, they're still in the brink of elimination and they are supposed to play their best hockey.

In 1997 we beat the Avs 6-0 in game 4 and then lost 6-0 in game 5. Last night was fun, but it was one win and nothing more. It's easy to get to that level for one game with your backs against the wall. Doing it three more times will be another matter.

It's not just the Wings that suffer this phenomenon... it's very common. After putting so much blood, sweet, and tears into an effort, it's naturally hard to turn right around and ramp things up again. The only thing that'll be working for us is that "3" on the Sharks side of the equation and the fact that the Wings know what happens if it goes to "4". Cornered teams often play with more desperation.

Even worse, we now have to play a team on their home ice that we've embarrassed and ticked off. Not a good combination.

I'm not so worried about the fact that we embarrassed them and ticked them off.

1) Yes we embarrassed them, but more importantly we got into Nabokov's head. McClellan has alrady said he will put Nabokov back in on Saturday. If we can get the first goal, that crack in his composure will get a little bigger as will the questions his teammates have about his ability to finish out a series for them against a talented team like the Wings.

2) Them being ticked off is good. Look at all the stupid penalties they took in game 4. Just as we can't win when we are down a man for 1/3 of the game, neither can they.

I'll be more worried after we win game 5 and McClellan has to consider whether or not Nabokov is his best chance at success. Greiss is the unknown and he looked solid in net.

I've been worried about this too, but hopefully they've learned from the Coyotes series and will keep the pressure on. I think this has the extra incentive added that if they don't win, they are O-U-T out, whereas things were never quite that dire with the Yotes. I agree that the Sharks will come back full force because now they're ticked off, but hopefully the threat of elimination will be stronger for us.

MAN I hope Franzen keeps going like he is! I mean, not that I expect another 4-goal game, but 1 or 2 wouldn't be bad!

Edited by MulesWillFly93

I couldn't agree more. To me, the difference this time is the wings have responded very well this post season in close-out games; obviously last night and in round 1. We have yet to see if they'll go back to back. Besides, the last two losses were only by 1 goal...and in both games they blew 3rd period leads. The wings are in this! Lets hope they respond again in another close-out game on Saturday.

- What if the wings didn't rally from 0-3. "History will be made" Can we get an NHL commercial ?!

Go Wings!!

Or what about "What if it was just a best of 5?"

Don't know why the Sharks would switch to Greiss. That shouldn't even be a option right now. Nabokov had no help in the first period. There were some he could have stopped. But not really. They played better in the second and third periods. But really, the Sharks played like their minor league team down in Worchestor.

Eh, the Sharks knew this game was over after the first period. THe Sharks need to work on their defensive game, they were absolutely horrible in game 4.

I like how the articles coming" This is the sharks we came to know". Came after a loss. Its really quite funny to read.

Hoping for a much better game for game 5. But, game 4, was quite funny. I tend to laugh about blowouts.

Question is... Will franzen ride with the hot stick or cool down?....

Hopefully history will repeat itself. Its been shown in the past that when Franzen starts to heat up he keeps going strong for a while. Especially in playoffs...Lets pray his knee is good and the puck keeps finding the back of the net off of his stick!

As much as I love the Wings and I try to believe in them as much as I can. I don't see the Wings being able to comeback much in this series. These are both great teams but I just don't see something like that happening so yeah you're right the Wings do seem to come out flat the next game after they blowout a team the game before. My fingers are still crossed and the playoff beard is still growing so I'm not giving up on them yet but it is a HUGE Mountain to climb. However if they do take it one game at a time and just play and live in the moment who knows what can happen. I'm taking Game 5 of this series like I did for game 7 of the last series with the hope they can win but if not they've had a great season for what they've been through this season Attitude. It payed of last time so hopefully it does again. Let's Go Red Wings!!

Any word on Stuart btw? playing for game 5?

"It might not have looked good at the time, but Red Wings coach Mike Babcock expects Stuart to be in uniform for Game 5 of the series, which is Saturday night in San Jose." from NHL fanhouse.

As much as I love the Wings and I try to believe in them as much as I can. I don't see the Wings being able to comeback much in this series. These are both great teams but I just don't see something like that happening so yeah you're right the Wings do seem to come out flat the next game after they blowout a team the game before. My fingers are still crossed and the playoff beard is still growing so I'm not giving up on them yet but it is a HUGE Mountain to climb. However if they do take it one game at a time and just play and live in the moment who knows what can happen. I'm taking Game 5 of this series like I did for game 7 of the last series with the hope they can win but if not they've had a great season for what they've been through this season Attitude. It payed of last time so hopefully it does again. Let's Go Red Wings!!

good post, but lets be honest, if the Sharks lose game 5. I don't see us winning games 6 and 7. The pressure will be on San Jose, and I don't think we will win at the Joe. And game 7 can go either way. So, its basically a must win for the Sharks in game 5.