Photo
- - - - -

Detroit is old and one win wont change that.

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 swansoccer13

swansoccer13

171 in the draft. 1st in the shootout order.

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:24 AM

Story out of Columbus, take it for what its worth..

http://www.dispatch....at.html?sid=101
"When you pull your goalie in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs, that usually means you're going fishing in about three days, and not 14 more wins or whatever we needed to get it done"

Mike Babcock

#2 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:26 AM

Detroit has been too old for over a decade now........................ :rolleyes:

#3 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:26 AM

We've been old and on the way down for 10 years. Eventually someone is going to be right.

#4 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,256 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:29 AM

We've been old and on the way down for 10 years. Eventually someone is going to be right.

That's what they're hoping for. I just don't get the whole "old" thing, considering we're not that much older than the league average. A year maybe? And that's only because of Lidstrom. It's like when Chelios was throwing off the average. One player doesn't make an entire team suddenly too old to compete.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#5 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:41 AM

In '07-'08, the Wings were on average the oldest, the lightest and the shortest team in the league. Look how much of an effect that had.

#6 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:43 AM

man journalism sucks these days... pretty awful article.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#7 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:44 AM

stopped reading when he talked about the penalties

Posted Image

#8 Red Wings 2010

Red Wings 2010

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:49 AM

Someone is mad they got swept.

#9 Hockeytown Red Wings

Hockeytown Red Wings

Buckeye & Red Wing fanatic

• Silver Booster
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:53 AM

I wrote this guy last year when he assured everyone that Steve Mason was gonna wipe the floor with Chris Osgood in the series.

Outside of Game 4, Ozzie dominated the BJ's.

"During Robert Lang’s time in Detroit, he caused me anguish. Other times he brought me and my family great joy. Robert Lang occasionally coasts, and spends time searching for the best pane of glass to best view the reflection of his flowing mullet. Other times he is a strong-armed force with the puck. I never knew what to expect from Robert Lang. He is The Enigma. " - A2Y

#10 Octopus's Garden

Octopus's Garden

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 816 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:05 AM

Ahh yes, Columbus ... first place I go for hard-hitting and insightful hockey commentary.

#11 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,178 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:13 AM

I thought when we got rid of Chelios, the old talk would stop.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#12 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:18 AM

When the Wings won their first modern cup in 1997, Yzerman had just turned 32 years old, and Fedorov was 27. They were in the same points of their career as Datsyuk and Zetterberg are now. Yes, in the pre-salary cap era, the Wings had the ability to go buy or trade for star players, irrespective of salary, but:

(a) So did Colorado and any other serious contender at that time;
(b) The players the Wings "bought" were almost always OLDER players (Larionov, Murphy, Sandstrom). Shanahan was the same age as Fedorov.

Obviously, there's nothing wrong with having a core of players in the prime of their career, supplemented by younger energy players (Draper, Maltby, McCarty in '97; Helm, Abdelkader, Miller, etc. 2008-10). And "old" is not the same as "slow". Derian Hatcher wasn't necessarily old, but he sucked. Lidstrom is 40 years old but still effective. Chelios was very effective in 2002, and passable in 2008, but it's not like we don't have younger quality players too.

Oh, and our goalie is a Calder nominee, by the way.

#13 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:25 AM

man journalism sucks these days... pretty awful article.

That's what happens when people stop paying for print media.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#14 RememberStevieY

RememberStevieY

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:25 AM

I'd love to force a game 7 and win, just to shove it in his face.
The Order of the Paradox

The most regular season wins, post season wins, division titles, conference titles and 4 Stanley Cups in a little over a decade spells d-y-n-a-s-t-y;

#15 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,412 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:32 AM

That looked like a fan blog rather than an article written by a professional. Sure there may be some truths to it, but for the most part, it looked pretty unprofessional to me.

It does scare me a bit sometimes to think about the future...what if Lidstrom retires? Datsyuk will be 32 later this year, Franzen 31, Zetterberg 30. Sure, they should still have some really solid years left, but they will start to slow down sometime over the next few years.

The key is the injection of the next stars as we go. That is the unknown and the unknown is what scares me. Guys like Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Franzen have come along to somewhat replace guys like Yzerman, Fedorov and Shanahan, but who is going to replace them in the next few years? Who is going to replace Lidstrom?

Edit: every team faces the same challenge though, which is why you tend to see teams go through peaks and valleys. Detroit has been very lucky to stay successful over the past 15-20 years though.

Edited by toby91_ca, 07 May 2010 - 11:34 AM.

#16 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:36 AM

Wow...thats a bold statement saying a team won't come back from a 3-0 defecit. This guy has some balls!

.... <_<
Posted Image

Sig courtesy of TeeMan

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting forwards, then dangles 2 defenceman, and follows it up by doing "the datsyuk" on his victims, then calmly skates back to his bench ,and goes home to his girlfriend back in the motherland.

R.I.P Bob Probert
1965-2010

#17 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:44 AM

What do you expect? He's fromf****** Columbus. The one and only time they ever even made the playoffs, they were swept by an "old" team and forgotten about just as quickly as they entered the playoffs -- a non-factor. He obviously feels compelled to energize Blue Jacket fans because they're likely paying more attention to baseball and basketball right now. And if I recall correctly, people who write for them tend to try and stir the pot in this fashion, as hating a far more superior team makes for more interest it seems than cheering your own team on when they suck this bad.

#18 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:44 AM

oh hows Rick Nash's golf swing progressing?

#19 henrik40

henrik40

Lebda Sucks

• PipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:41 PM

Must have been the odd man out to report on the Buckeyes daily meal and he's taking it out on the Wings.

#20 Supface

Supface

Rookie

• Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:48 PM

Posted Image