• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Vladifan

ESPN maybe getting into it?

Rate this topic

Here's an excerpt from the Austin American Statesman, written mainly about the Texas Stars, Dallas's AHL team here in central Texas.

Here's what caught my eye:

<<..."The Stars may epitomize the relative rise of hockey nationwide. NHL ratings on Versus are up by 20 percent, but Andrews (AHL commissioner) said ESPN will bid for the next contract...">>

This is news to me. But I sure wouldn't mind if they did. :)

Edited by Vladifan

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this. Sure, ESPN has a much larger reach than Versus, but how much of their vast media empire would they devote to hockey? Probably not much. On Versus it's the top priority, because let's face it, they don't have anything else.

Also, am I the only one who hated Thorne and Clement calling games? They had their heads so far up Patrick Roy's butt they needed proctologists to hand them their microphones.

ETA: To this day I cringe when I hear Thorne's voice calling a football game!

Edited by Jenny

Every point raised in that article is solid and reasonable. No, ESPN won't devote as much time to hockey as most of us fans think they should. But the timing is such that I think it would be stupid and naive of them not to bid. Hockey ratings are picking up and can only be enhanced by more media coverage. And if Bettman gets in the way, I hope is ass is grass.

Announcing a hockey game has to be a difficult job and I don't mind Doc Emerich. But I loved Clement and Thorne. They were colorful, enthusiastic and knowledgeable and they definitely added to the coverage.

When is the contract up even?

<<"In 2007, the NHL signed an agreement to extend the NHL on Versus to the 2010–2011 season. Versus paid $72.5 million for 2007–2008 and will pay inflationary increases over the next three years." >>

This is from Wikpedia so you might want a salt shaker handy. :)

I'm pretty sure that NBC is locked up for a few years but that Versus only goes for one or two more. God I would give anything for it the be back on ESPN. NBC and Versus are terrible, but there's not much they can do with NBC at this point. But I would love NHL on ESPN. Just imagine the increased highlights on SportsCenter, the theme music back (as someone had said), etc. But for some reason, I highly doubt it in the near future. At least another two or three years. Plus, Bettman's an idiot, so he won't do it.