• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 jjudson

jjudson

Jr. Prospect

• 29 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:06 AM

:ranting:

Sorry for the rant, but is it just me that thinks that a Saturday night start time of 10:00 pm EST is BULLS**T?!?

This game is much more important for Detroit than it is for San Jose. I can understand (somewhat) 7:00 pm west coast start times during the week, as people might still be straggling home from work, but why the hell can't they have an afternoon game on a Saturday - especially during the playoffs?

If the NHL had any respect for Detroit fans, they would have stepped in and moved the time down. But then again, Crosby isn't playing...

*Rant off*

Edited by jjudson, 08 May 2010 - 10:07 AM.

#2 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:13 AM

This is a silly rant.. It makes the most sense, the Montreal Pittsburgh game is on at 7, so it'll end nicely before the Wings Sharks game (barring OT), not to mention 7:00pm is nicer for the San Jose fans. I much prefer this setup so I can watch both games.

#3 motorcitykid

motorcitykid

Red Wings DJ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:19 AM

There should NEVER be playoffs games in the daytime. Regular season, sure, but in the playoffs, these 1 and 2 PM starts are ridiculous. Way too much importance to have players missing gameday skates, messing with their routines etc. It started to get real silly once Bettman came in with his NBA background and started having players play less than 48 hrs after their last game. Hockey demands are very different than basketball.

10 PM starts are really just 7 PM starts anyways. I got no problem having my team get settled into the city they're visiting before they play.

#4 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:20 AM

Yeah, and when the Wings win Game 5, they'll be forced to play game 6 a man down the whole game, with the Sharks getting 5-on-2s at times. Damn that Bettman and his maniacal plots!
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#5 South Dakota wings fan

South Dakota wings fan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:21 AM

:ranting:

Sorry for the rant, but is it just me that thinks that a Saturday night start time of 10:00 pm EST is BULLS**T?!?

This game is much more important for Detroit than it is for San Jose. I can understand (somewhat) 7:00 pm west coast start times during the week, as people might still be straggling home from work, but why the hell can't they have an afternoon game on a Saturday - especially during the playoffs?

If the NHL had any respect for Detroit fans, they would have stepped in and moved the time down. But then again, Crosby isn't playing...

*Rant off*

Actually, what the start time tells you is that NBC is covering the TPC this weekend as there major sporting event, so the NHL is not having their afternoon games on Saturday or Sunday. It's not a conspiracy. They put the East coast game on at 7 Eastern time, and the West coast game on at 10 so their product could be seen seperately on their national cable home. I have Center Ice, so it wouldn't matter to me, but for those who do not, I bet they prefer this start time instead of some "joined in progress" game. Not to mention that if it was an afternoon game, that would be less rest for the teams after having to travel so far with only the one day in between games.

#6 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,908 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:21 AM

If 10 pm starts show disdain for Detroit, what do 6 or 7 pm (eastern) starts show for San Jose? They aren't even home from work yet if they work a typical 9-5 job.

#7 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:25 AM

THIS S UFKEN PSISIN ME OFF!!! FUKEN SHORKS AND THERE PASIFIC TIME!!! :angry: :ranting: :angry: :ranting: IT MORE IMPORTATN 4 US

Posted Image

#8 MCleveland89

MCleveland89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:32 AM

If we wanted the game at 7 when were at their building, it'd only be 4 there I believe. Wouldn't you be pissed if a game was at 4 here? That would suck. They have home ice advantage, they should be able to start when they want, just like we do here.

#9 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:36 AM

Ummmm, no more afternoon games for the Wings would please me just fine. We suck in the afternoon!!!
Go Wings
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#10 sharkfan20

sharkfan20

Rookie

• Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 11:49 AM

Oh come on man, Its a freaking Saturday. Shark fans had to get off of work to watch games 3 and 4 at 4- 4:30. And their still usually at work.

Its a Saturday, you guys can do your thing until 10, and watch the game until midnight.
]"Some of the guys have got to become man- Nabokov"

Sharks in 2010?!

#11 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 11:55 AM

Wings have been s*** in afternoon games all season. Im glad its not in the afternoon.

#12 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 11:56 AM

Any earlier and they'd be competing for airtime with the Golden Child. And you KNOW how that would go.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#13 REDWINGSFTW

REDWINGSFTW

Rookie

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:00 PM

If 10 pm starts show disdain for Detroit, what do 6 or 7 pm (eastern) starts show for San Jose? They aren't even home from work yet if they work a typical 9-5 job.

Owned the OP

#14 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:09 PM

I've heard a LOT of people complaining about the start time, but I don't understand it. Like others have posted it's the only way to show both games today, and the Wings are atrocious in afternoon weekend games. We need all the little signs we can get, and a late game bodes well (or at least better) for the Wings than an afternoon one.

EDIT: And how does this show disdain for the Wings? Most West Coast games are late, and I'm pretty sure the players don't give a crap what time of the day they play, they may even like the late games because it gives them time to get rested.

Like Jimmy did in Game 7, they can take a nap and relax and focus.

Edited by VM1138, 08 May 2010 - 12:12 PM.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#15 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,464 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:18 PM

I hate day games as much as the Wings do (apparently, since they tend to lose). 9:00PM start works perfectly for me. I can stay up past the local news, being a grow-up and all.

This game, unlike several others in this series, won't be pre-empted by Crosby Show. BBB (Bettman's Baby Boy) is on earlier and should be done in time for the puck drop for the Wings/Sharks.

Go, Wings!!

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#16 cougars1926

cougars1926

Draftee

• 3 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:19 PM

Posted Image

*Rant off*

Its not a rant when its true! Bettman is still scared of the Wings. They might hurt Cindy!

With the lack of officiating and this crap, I am sending an email to the NHL via http://www.nhl.com/ice/feedback.htm. It probably won't do anything but it might make me feel better until tonights game!

GO WINGS!!

#17 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:38 PM

Its not a rant when its true! Bettman is still scared of the Wings. They might hurt Cindy!

With the lack of officiating and this crap, I am sending an email to the NHL via http://www.nhl.com/ice/feedback.htm. It probably won't do anything but it might make me feel better until tonights game!

GO WINGS!!

You should definately post that video on here as well, i'm curious to see what it's like. And no it is probably not gonnna do anything

#18 CdnWingsFanEh

CdnWingsFanEh

GO WINGS GO!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:42 PM

I've heard a LOT of people complaining about the start time, but I don't understand it. Like others have posted it's the only way to show both games today, and the Wings are atrocious in afternoon weekend games. We need all the little signs we can get, and a late game bodes well (or at least better) for the Wings than an afternoon one.

EDIT: And how does this show disdain for the Wings? Most West Coast games are late, and I'm pretty sure the players don't give a crap what time of the day they play, they may even like the late games because it gives them time to get rested.

Like Jimmy did in Game 7, they can take a nap and relax and focus.

This.

The wings are what 2 and 9 for afternoon games? We suck in the afternoon. A later game will benefit the wings. They can rest more before the game. I'd rather they played great and I missed some of the game than played like crap, but I got to see them play like crap...
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Facts. Who needs facts? You can prove anything with facts... 10% of all people know that...

"That's it. My groin, it cannot handle it," --Hasek (after his last skate at Joe Louis Arena)

#19 stevieisthebest

stevieisthebest

The Captain

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:47 PM

GO WINGS!!

YOU are an idiot.

The wings suck in afternoon games. This is good for the wings, and there is no f***in conspiracy.
"15,395 Days since they won the cup...3 seconds left, THE DETROiT RED WINGS ARE THE STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!"

"Lemiuex was hammered by Darren McCarty, and he is being helped into the locker room."

Thanks Steve! #19
Thanks Nick! #5

#20 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:38 PM

there definately a conspiracy *** butman!!!

Posted Image