• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jjudson

10 O'Clock Start Time Show's NHL's Disdain

Rate this topic

:ranting:

Sorry for the rant, but is it just me that thinks that a Saturday night start time of 10:00 pm EST is BULLS**T?!?

This game is much more important for Detroit than it is for San Jose. I can understand (somewhat) 7:00 pm west coast start times during the week, as people might still be straggling home from work, but why the hell can't they have an afternoon game on a Saturday - especially during the playoffs?

If the NHL had any respect for Detroit fans, they would have stepped in and moved the time down. But then again, Crosby isn't playing...

*Rant off*

Edited by jjudson

This is a silly rant.. It makes the most sense, the Montreal Pittsburgh game is on at 7, so it'll end nicely before the Wings Sharks game (barring OT), not to mention 7:00pm is nicer for the San Jose fans. I much prefer this setup so I can watch both games.

There should NEVER be playoffs games in the daytime. Regular season, sure, but in the playoffs, these 1 and 2 PM starts are ridiculous. Way too much importance to have players missing gameday skates, messing with their routines etc. It started to get real silly once Bettman came in with his NBA background and started having players play less than 48 hrs after their last game. Hockey demands are very different than basketball.

10 PM starts are really just 7 PM starts anyways. I got no problem having my team get settled into the city they're visiting before they play.

Sorry for the rant, but is it just me that thinks that a Saturday night start time of 10:00 pm EST is BULLS**T?!?

This game is much more important for Detroit than it is for San Jose. I can understand (somewhat) 7:00 pm west coast start times during the week, as people might still be straggling home from work, but why the hell can't they have an afternoon game on a Saturday - especially during the playoffs?

If the NHL had any respect for Detroit fans, they would have stepped in and moved the time down. But then again, Crosby isn't playing...

*Rant off*

Actually, what the start time tells you is that NBC is covering the TPC this weekend as there major sporting event, so the NHL is not having their afternoon games on Saturday or Sunday. It's not a conspiracy. They put the East coast game on at 7 Eastern time, and the West coast game on at 10 so their product could be seen seperately on their national cable home. I have Center Ice, so it wouldn't matter to me, but for those who do not, I bet they prefer this start time instead of some "joined in progress" game. Not to mention that if it was an afternoon game, that would be less rest for the teams after having to travel so far with only the one day in between games.

If we wanted the game at 7 when were at their building, it'd only be 4 there I believe. Wouldn't you be pissed if a game was at 4 here? That would suck. They have home ice advantage, they should be able to start when they want, just like we do here.

Oh come on man, Its a freaking Saturday. Shark fans had to get off of work to watch games 3 and 4 at 4- 4:30. And their still usually at work.

Its a Saturday, you guys can do your thing until 10, and watch the game until midnight.

Guest REDWINGSFTW

If 10 pm starts show disdain for Detroit, what do 6 or 7 pm (eastern) starts show for San Jose? They aren't even home from work yet if they work a typical 9-5 job.

Owned the OP

I've heard a LOT of people complaining about the start time, but I don't understand it. Like others have posted it's the only way to show both games today, and the Wings are atrocious in afternoon weekend games. We need all the little signs we can get, and a late game bodes well (or at least better) for the Wings than an afternoon one.

EDIT: And how does this show disdain for the Wings? Most West Coast games are late, and I'm pretty sure the players don't give a crap what time of the day they play, they may even like the late games because it gives them time to get rested.

Like Jimmy did in Game 7, they can take a nap and relax and focus.

Edited by VM1138

I hate day games as much as the Wings do (apparently, since they tend to lose). 9:00PM start works perfectly for me. I can stay up past the local news, being a grow-up and all.

This game, unlike several others in this series, won't be pre-empted by Crosby Show. BBB (Bettman's Baby Boy) is on earlier and should be done in time for the puck drop for the Wings/Sharks.

Go, Wings!!

ranting.gif

*Rant off*

Its not a rant when its true! Bettman is still scared of the Wings. They might hurt Cindy!

With the lack of officiating and this crap, I am sending an email to the NHL via http://www.nhl.com/ice/feedback.htm. It probably won't do anything but it might make me feel better until tonights game!

GO WINGS!!

Its not a rant when its true! Bettman is still scared of the Wings. They might hurt Cindy!

With the lack of officiating and this crap, I am sending an email to the NHL via http://www.nhl.com/ice/feedback.htm. It probably won't do anything but it might make me feel better until tonights game!

GO WINGS!!

You should definately post that video on here as well, i'm curious to see what it's like. And no it is probably not gonnna do anything

I've heard a LOT of people complaining about the start time, but I don't understand it. Like others have posted it's the only way to show both games today, and the Wings are atrocious in afternoon weekend games. We need all the little signs we can get, and a late game bodes well (or at least better) for the Wings than an afternoon one.

EDIT: And how does this show disdain for the Wings? Most West Coast games are late, and I'm pretty sure the players don't give a crap what time of the day they play, they may even like the late games because it gives them time to get rested.

Like Jimmy did in Game 7, they can take a nap and relax and focus.

This.

The wings are what 2 and 9 for afternoon games? We suck in the afternoon. A later game will benefit the wings. They can rest more before the game. I'd rather they played great and I missed some of the game than played like crap, but I got to see them play like crap...

GO WINGS!!

YOU are an idiot.

The wings suck in afternoon games. This is good for the wings, and there is no f***in conspiracy.

*Rant off*

Late night games are typical in the east coast in any league (MLB, NBA, etc.) when games in the West Coast start at 7:00. Happens all the time. This is not a new phenomenon in sports. Sorry.

And as for no games on NBC this weekend, NBC always plays 3rd and 4th round of the PGA Tour TPC Players Championship whenever it is played, and those rounds are always on a Saturday and Sunday. Been doing it for years. Games will be back on NHL next weekend.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Okay, I feel a bit like John Belushi in Animal House now. I gave my speech. I asked you all if it was over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor. I raised my hand and asked: "Who's with me?!?" and ran out the door.

...and no one came.

I could almost hear Stork say to me: "What the hell we s'posed to do ya moron?!?"

(for those who haven't seen the movie scene - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q47bpOCTcaY)

I'll shut up now and watch the stupid game at ten.