• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

WCSF Game 5 GDT: Red Wings 1 at Sharks 2

Rate this topic

I'm having trouble separating the two. In my mind, SJ played well enough to be in position to win four of five games ... and in at least three of those, had a substantial amount of help.

If it hadn't been for Game 3, I might agree. Our 3rd periods were also pretty lackluster across the whole affair.

I mean ... what do you want from this team? To say that they didn't play with enough heart is absurd. They lost FOUR games by ONE goal each against the top-seeded team in the West, three of them away from home, and in all of those losses had more penalties called against them -- the majority of which came at EXTREMELY crucial parts of the game.

Did the refs decide this series? No. But it's not like SJ steamrolled Detroit. This was about as even as a 4-1 series can get and the Wings had plenty of chances to swing it the other way.

Yeah I guess my argument is that I feel they didn't play with desperation or heart but it STILL took many lucky breaks like 5 on 3s and good bounces for SJ to win. Taking away the win or lose factor, the Wings weren't jumping like in the past. A microcosm of this is the slow pace that the Wings had even with 5 minutes or less to go in this game. They were not skating hard or fast. When they had the 6 on 4, they were slow moving the puck. Nobody crashed the net.

Maybe this was just SJ making the Wings look slow, I don't know. That's possible I guess. Even though SJ got most of the breaks, they capitalized. So they get the credit.

YOu can't win it every year, but you just hate to see your team go out like this.

Don't worry, Chicago looks like they're on a mission. I think they will have an easy time with SJ. Chicago looks extremely determined in that Vancouver series. They're FLYING.

OK, my last vent for the night ... and last ref bitching until next season. ...

On the Murray no-call, if it's not roughing or elbowing or douchebaggery ... isn't it at least interference? Franzen had passed the puck and was driving the net, was wiped out and it started a 3-on-2 the other way. I mean ... WTF?

I hate ****** bag friends who like to rub the Wings exit in my face. He knows nothing about hockey, what should I tell him?

"Well, you can't make the Stanley Cup Finals every year!!!" :rolleyes:

Why is this thread only 40 pages long?

Hello, our freaking season ended here everybody!

We've had threads a lot longer than this in other games this year.

Not everyone is on yet.Some members are still tipping over chairs and punching walls and yelling at their TVs.It took me a few minutes to log on after the loss.

I mean ... what do you want from this team? To say that they didn't play with enough heart is absurd. They lost FOUR games by ONE goal each against the top-seeded team in the West

one goal games are the kinds of games that the team with the most heart wins. it doesn't take a whole lotta heart to win a game 7-1. to lose 4 games of 5 by one goal is evidence of lack of heart, not evidence of an abundance of heart imho. this team prides itself on being even-keeled. i'm tired of even-keeled. i want some ******* passion.

one goal games are the kinds of games that the team with the most heart wins. it doesn't take a whole lotta heart to win a game 7-1. to lose 4 games of 5 by one goal is evidence of lack of heart, not evidence of an abundance of heart imho. this team prides itself on being even-keeled. i'm tired of even-keeled. i want some ******* passion.

I totally agree with you.But that's what happens when you're team is about 75% European..

Well, at least we got beat fair and square this time. I mean, yeah, there were a few times where the reffing could've gone differently, but that happens in every game - I didn't feel like this was a Game 2 by any means. We didn't goof up big time, at least that I remember, so that's always a good thing. Sure, we could've had a little more energy in the 1st period, but on the other hand, SJ didn't score on us, either, so that's another good thing. Sorry to see the season come to a close, but at least it didn't leave a bitter taste in my mouth in the end. Glad to see Jimmy end on a pretty high note, too...Calder here we come!

You might be alone on that one.

Hehe, I knew somebody was going to call me on that. I'm still pretty pissed about Games 1 and 2, but game 4 was awesome, and I thought this one was fair. Don't ask me about Game 3; I need to go back and watch the highlights - I watched it, but I don't remember a thing about it (I was drunk, but not THAT drunk...I don't know what my problem is). I guess I should say, knowing how crappily things went for us in the first three games, and knowing that you can't go back and change what happened in them, I was glad that when the end inevitably came, it wasn't just handed to the Sharks on a plate by the refs (or us). And I'll be thinking about Game 4 all summer.

Well, at least we got beat fair and square this time.

I thought the Wings were generally outplayed in the first and third periods but still, the Sharks caught a break at the best (or worse from where you and I are sitting) possible time. The Murray no call was a joke and a minute late the game-winner ended up in the Wings' net. Just like the blown call on the Franzen high stick; just like Nick's stick exploding.

It's like they inherited the Ducks' powers of unbelievable luck and good fortune and harnessed it to maximum effect in this series. Maybe they absorbed it through osmosis last year from the masters of lucky breaks themselves and were just waiting to unleash it.

I thought the Wings were generally outplayed in the first and third periods but still, the Sharks caught a break at the best (or worse from where you and I are sitting) possible time. The Murray no call was a joke and a minute late the game-winner ended up in the Wings' net. Just like the blown call on the Franzen high stick; just like Nick's stick exploding.

It's like they inherited the Ducks' powers of unbelievable luck and good fortune and harnessed it to maximum effect in this series. Maybe they absorbed it through osmosis last year from the masters of lucky breaks themselves and were just waiting to unleash it.

Well, that's true, there were definitely some bad calls. Still, I didn't think it was outrageously awful - just your average NHL level of bad. We just needed to have planned for that and adjusted our level of play accordingly, in my opinion.

Agree with you on the Ducks thing...MAN did the Sharks have Jobu on their side for most of the series.

Edited by MulesWillFly93

I picked up a ticket for Game 6 through TicketBastard and got the same exact seat that I had for Game 4. Thought that was a good sign. Didn't get the # for that cute girl that was sitting to my left for Game 4 (should have asked so that's my fault.)

I suppose that serendipity has it's plan.

Where was the team that played in gm 4 tonight? Anybody know? Thinking about putting a missing persons out...

That's the psychology of sports. It's all situational, and the Wings embarassing Nabby and the rest of the Sharks in game 4 set game 5 up to bring out the best in the Sharks. (as evidenced by their dominance in period 1). Facts are we couldn't win a crucial face off in what seems like every one of the four 1-goal losses. That and the other little things the Wings of the past excelled in abandoned them in this year. The Wings had a lot of the same faces as they did in previous seasons, but time has taken its toll on many of them.