• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

Luongo Not the Answer for Vancouver

Rate this topic

Luongo may be suffering from Kiprusoff syndrome. Vancouver, like Calgary, plays their starter far too much. Andrew Raycroft actually looked respectable as a back-up this season, it wouldn't have killed them to give him a few more starts in relief of Luongo.

Luongo is a fantastic goalie. He is not really their biggest problem. He doesn't get any rest at all during the season, and they had a hard season, AND he played Olympics.

As for Vancouver, while I was living there, I tried to tell some fans what their problem was. Luongo is like Brodeur back in the 90's. Amazing goalie. But Vancouver hasn't clued in to what NJ did.

They need a Scott Stevens. Their backend is weak from top to bottom. They're a typical EC team, in the WC. All about scoring, forget about Defence.

The problem with Vancouver is that they have built their team like this:

Excellent top line.

Solid second line.

Mediocre checking line.

Mediocre fourth line.

Good top pair.

Decent second pair.

Mediocre third pair.

Very good regular season goalie who they hope can carry them in the playoffs.

Most championship teams are built like this:

Strong top line

Strong second line.

Good checking line

Solid fourth line.

Very good top pairing.

Strong second pairing.

Decent third pair.

Good regular season goalie capable of carrying the team in the playoffs.

Look at the two builds. Which builds provide very good regular seasons and playoff failure, and which provide good regular seasons and deep playoff runs?

I think you all know the answer.

That took up so much space to say f*** ALL I wanted you to read it again

Luongo is a fantastic goalie. He is not really their biggest problem. He doesn't get any rest at all during the season, and they had a hard season, AND he played Olympics.

As for Vancouver, while I was living there, I tried to tell some fans what their problem was. Luongo is like Brodeur back in the 90's. Amazing goalie. But Vancouver hasn't clued in to what NJ did.

They need a Scott Stevens. Their backend is weak from top to bottom. They're a typical EC team, in the WC. All about scoring, forget about Defence.

Suck the life and entertainment value out of every game?

I think the "blending in" with a better team component is valid, although I view it more along the lines of 'trust chemistry', which is really hard to fake. When the Avs had Roy, he wasn't just great -- their belief in him made them greater, as their offense was constantly emboldened to take a lot more risks. Their defense rose to the game as well, as the defense wasn't guided so much by fear of what their 'bad' netminder might let in; rather it was more like "offensive defense", scrambling for puck control only to get the game quickly back into offensive mode.

Because of Luongo's LTC, and what I believe to be the Luongo Myth, I see a little bit of that at work, but it's mostly artificial - manufactured by mantra. Even then, all it takes is a couple of really good games or stellar saves for Vancouver to give Luongo the benefit of any lagging doubts, and they'll rally back behind him as if he was a Roy of sorts. But he's not. I agree that he's definitely one of the most overrated players in the NHL.

I think the "blending in" with a better team component is valid, although I view it more along the lines of 'trust chemistry', which is really hard to fake. When the Avs had Roy, he wasn't just great -- their belief in him made them greater, as their offense was constantly emboldened to take a lot more risks.

Roy with Colorado really was great. His performance in Colorado was much better than his performance in Montreal. Osgood in Detroit has performed just as well if not better in the postseason as Roy did in Montreal. Roy in Colorado stepped his game up from where it was in Montreal. It would be like seeing Osgood play the 11 playoffs, and make his play in the 08 and 09 playoffs look like his 09-10 regular season. That was the difference in his play.

The problem with Vancouver is that they have built their team like this:

Excellent top line.

Solid second line.

Mediocre checking line.

Mediocre fourth line.

Good top pair.

Decent second pair.

Mediocre third pair.

Very good regular season goalie who they hope can carry them in the playoffs.

Most championship teams are built like this:

Strong top line

Strong second line.

Good checking line

Solid fourth line.

Very good top pairing.

Strong second pairing.

Decent third pair.

Good regular season goalie capable of carrying the team in the playoffs.

Look at the two builds. Which builds provide very good regular seasons and playoff failure, and which provide good regular seasons and deep playoff runs?

I think you all know the answer.

Why don't you know there difference between opinion and fact? also whats with ur stupid font?

Van has some great young players that are improving. Burrows, raymond, kesler, bernier, edler, grabner???? You think theyve peaked or something??

Just when I thought he couldn't suck any more, he puts up this effort to cement this thread.

He's lucky Team Canada bailed him out this season, cause in retrospect, he played rather poor in the Olympics and had trouble handling pucks.

He's just not a clutch goalie. Period.

Just when I thought he couldn't suck any more, he puts up this effort to cement this thread.

He's lucky Team Canada bailed him out this season, cause in retrospect, he played rather poor in the Olympics and had trouble handling pucks.

Another disappointing season for him.He's gonna get eaten alive by the media in Vancouver.He's beyond overrated and beyond overpaid.

Guest Crymson

Howard had a MUCH better postseason than Luongo has had.

I disagree i think the Canuks D is weak with Salo hurt,Mitchell out and thats about all they have well Edler to, The Forwards just couldnt get it done after unloading in the 1st round Kesler,Burrows,Raymond,Wellwood didnt do anything in this series and the Sedins and Samuelsson cooled right off. The Nucks need more depth on D 100%

I disagree i think the Canuks D is weak with Salo hurt,Mitchell out and thats about all they have well Edler to, The Forwards just couldnt get it done after unloading in the 1st round Kesler,Burrows,Raymond,Wellwood didnt do anything in this series and the Sedins and Samuelsson cooled right off. The Nucks need more depth on D 100%

This is true but the problem is that he's being paid 5m+. Therefore expectations are going to be HIGH.

True but he is one of the Best in the game didnt Kari Lehtonen just get like 3.5Mill and what has he done ? He plays well for them but the D is weak on that team no doubt about it. and 5mill isnt that bad when like i said guys like Lehtonen is getting 3.5 and what is Huet getting about the same as Luongo i think. you put Luo on the Wings we walk all over every team in the West with our D, alot does rest on the shoulders of Luo but i think its easy to see there are other players and reason for this team losing

You do not understand why many people blame Luongo. In the playoff, the best players should play like best players because every game is critical. While Toews was doing great in this series although relatively poor performance in the regular season, Luongo has not stolen any game except for game 5, well it was not a steal because the Canucks did not get outplayed.

And when you pay 6.75 million for a goalie, you suppose your goalie steals at least few important games in the playoff or even makes big saves to change the momentum. Has Luongo done it? No. The last time he has done was the series against the Blues. In the series against the Kings, he looked to play decently but that is not clear because he allowed so many PP goals.

I am not blaming the Canucks' loss solely on Luongo but he should be mentally punched because he is the most overpaid player in the Canucks and considered as the top player in the Canucks too. When your best player does not show up in siginificant time, the team loses for sure because all teams' players try to play out of their mind in the playoff.

ya i agree with he didnt play his best some night, but nobody on this team played good in the 2nd round this whole team should have just stayed home not just Luongo,and what are they paying the Sedins for because they were nowhere to be found in the 2nd round along with Kesler and Samuelsson who all make good money.When this team wins Luongo hardly ever gets credit but when they lose all the blame is on him.

ya i agree with he didnt play his best some night, but nobody on this team played good in the 2nd round this whole team should have just stayed home not just Luongo,and what are they paying the Sedins for because they were nowhere to be found in the 2nd round along with Kesler and Samuelsson who all make good money.When this team wins Luongo hardly ever gets credit but when they lose all the blame is on him.

I agree with you blaming the loss solely on Luongo is ridiculous. And both Sedin's playoff performance has been the question. You remember when the Canucks played against the Ducks 3 years ago and how invisible they were. Sure, the Canucks was no match up against the Ducks in that year but both Sedin were just getting destroyed by physical players and they are still getting that. The Canucks have been rebuilding the team for last 4 years, 1 missed playoff and three times of round 2. If the Canucks do not go further than round 2 next year, it would be an issue again.

Although it is not ALL Luongo's fault, he does have to take a big part of the blame. 2 goals in less than a minute in the 2nd period. Suck the life out of the Canucks. Then he let the shorthanded one in ... that was a WEAK goal, it wasn't even a shot, it was like a shovel. Then the goal by Patrick Kane, and less than one minute later, Dustin Byfuglien's. In postgame interview, he said, 'I can hold my head up high, I battled for 60 mins. Last year I let in 7, tonight it was 5, so it is an improvement.' .... WTF???

Okay ... the part that is not Luongo's fault ... no one scored any goals tonight (other than O'Brien ... you know that league leading sniper and goal scorer ??!! You have to score goals to win games Sedin, Burrows, Kesler, Raymond)

Edited by RedWingsRox

In postgame interview, he said, 'I can hold my head up high, I battled for 60 mins. Last year I let in 7, tonight it was 5, so it is an improvement.' .... WTF???

What? :scared: He's going to be eaten alive on the sports call in shows tomorrow.

Although it is not ALL Luongo's fault, he does have to take a big part of the blame. 2 goals in less than a minute in the 2nd period. Suck the life out of the Canucks. Then he let the shorthanded one in ... that was a WEAK goal, it wasn't even a shot, it was like a shovel. Then the goal by Patrick Kane, and less than one minute later, Dustin Byfuglien's. In postgame interview, he said, 'I can hold my head up high, I battled for 60 mins. Last year I let in 7, tonight it was 5, so it is an improvement.' .... WTF???

Okay ... the part that is not Luongo's fault ... no one scored any goals tonight (other than O'Brien ... you know that league leading sniper and goal scorer ??!! You have to score goals to win games Sedin, Burrows, Kesler, Raymond)

:lol::lol:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW