• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

Luongo Not the Answer for Vancouver

Rate this topic

Luongo is not as bad as some of his detractors make him out to be, but he is not even close to a great goalie. He's profoundly underrated and a career underachiever when it counts. Even in the Olympic Gold run, his greatest achievement to date, he was rather shaky at times. He's one of the many guys in this league that as of yet only has one level of play. He doesn't know how to flip the switch and turn it up a notch to win in the playoffs.

But hey, even Joe Thornton seems to have finally figured out how to turn his game up, so maybe Luongo will work it out in time, but as of now, his contract is ABSURD, and he's simply not worthy of being named among the elite netminders in this league.

Although it is not ALL Luongo's fault, he does have to take a big part of the blame. 2 goals in less than a minute in the 2nd period. Suck the life out of the Canucks. Then he let the shorthanded one in ... that was a WEAK goal, it wasn't even a shot, it was like a shovel. Then the goal by Patrick Kane, and less than one minute later, Dustin Byfuglien's. In postgame interview, he said, 'I can hold my head up high, I battled for 60 mins. Last year I let in 7, tonight it was 5, so it is an improvement.' .... WTF???

Okay ... the part that is not Luongo's fault ... no one scored any goals tonight (other than O'Brien ... you know that league leading sniper and goal scorer ??!! You have to score goals to win games Sedin, Burrows, Kesler, Raymond)

There's absolutely no way that any actual critical thought went into formulating that statement. That has got to be one of the stupidest things I've heard a guy say to the press after such a showing. Unbelievable.

Luongo is not as bad as some of his detractors make him out to be, but he is not even close to a great goalie. He's profoundly underrated and a career underachiever when it counts. Even in the Olympic Gold run, his greatest achievement to date, he was rather shaky at times. He's one of the many guys in this league that as of yet only has one level of play. He doesn't know how to flip the switch and turn it up a notch to win in the playoffs.

But hey, even Joe Thornton seems to have finally figured out how to turn his game up, so maybe Luongo will work it out in time, but as of now, his contract is ABSURD, and he's simply not worthy of being named among the elite netminders in this league.

There's absolutely no way that any actual critical thought went into formulating that statement. That has got to be one of the stupidest things I've heard a guy say to the press after such a showing. Unbelievable.

Is there any reason he should continue as team captain after that statement?

Is there any reason he should continue as team captain after that statement?

Why not? His career is an embarrassment. He's been treated like a legend despite never playing like one when it's mattered most. He's beyond pampered. Ridiculous contract...gets mentioned among the elite goalies in the world...captain of the team...why? Really, why?

I mean, just imagine if this guy was in Detroit in the same situation. People think we've been hard on Osgood, Osgood would look pampered by the fans in comparison to the ridicule Luongo would face.

And sadly, for years there have been people here saying we need to do all we can to sign him... :ranting: :ranting: :ranting:

True but he is one of the Best in the game didnt Kari Lehtonen just get like 3.5Mill and what has he done ? He plays well for them but the D is weak on that team no doubt about it. and 5mill isnt that bad when like i said guys like Lehtonen is getting 3.5 and what is Huet getting about the same as Luongo i think. you put Luo on the Wings we walk all over every team in the West with our D, alot does rest on the shoulders of Luo but i think its easy to see there are other players and reason for this team losing

I don't see how we could walk over everybody in the West when our big rivals notably Chicago have Luongo on a platter. Luongo I believe has got to go to the East for his own salvation. Do you think that the Vancouver and Luongo want to face the Hawks down the road again; I doubt it. Now if we had Ryan Miller well- ah forget it its just a fantasy.

1. Luongo interviewed he played decently and headed up for 60 minutes; allowd 5 goals, that is fewer than last season's 7 goals. You gotta be kidding me if thats what the captain said. But it is true.

2. You remember when coyotes lost to us in game 7 but fans stayed up and gave ovation to Coyotes' players. And players were raising their sticks and show thanks to their fans. What did Luongo do? He just ran into the locker room.

I live in Vancouver and many Vancouverites say trade Luongo will result only bad but when you pay 7 million for the goalie, the goalie should steal few games in the playoff. Luongo has done nothing like that since last year Hawks series. Yes, he played good in game 2 and 5 but the team still lost in game 2. Logically, goalies should allow no goal and that is fans' expectation but that cannot happen; when you pay 7 million on one goalie, it is just people expect higher possibility the goalie steals more games. In fact, Luongo has been playing the level of 2 or 3 million worth goalie in the playoff so far in his career except for the first season with the Canucks. It is also true the Canucks D was bad. Salo was not supposed to play with that serious injury and Mitchell was out. But the life never goes on the perfect way. Great players still try to find out to win the game. Luongo has not done. And yes hockey is a team sports but it would be ridiculous if people do not blame specific players who do not play up to the expectation in critical time like the playoff.

Because he won the gold medal in the Olympic, it does not mean he did good. He looked extremely shaky. It is sometimes so funny to see that people call specific players so good when the team they belong win. Doughty and Toews were great in the Olympics and that was the main factor Canada won.

And for people who say Luongo is great, they have to look at more closely. Luongo has not achieved in his career. No Vezina trophy; well he won the best goaltender trophy in Junior but who cares the awards not belong to NHL?

Yo, I live in Vancouver too and it is nauseating to hear the mantra, 'Best goalie in the world'. If Luongo is the best goalie in the world, then Jimmy Howard must the best goalie in the universe or at least in our solar system. Howie was far better than Lui in regular season and playoffs and his is 1/10th of Luongo's salary. Regardless of how much I don't like the Canucks, I actually felt bad for Luongo last night not because he was hung out to dry per se but because he should have played the last 40 mins like the first 20 to give his team a chance. Even down 2-0 ... not insurmountable but down 3-0 on a shorty that was weak ??

What shocked me was that Samuelsson, the guy who they brought in to be cool, calm, and collect supposedly learnt from the Wings lost it ... hooking/cross checking, misconduct basically putting the Canucks down a player for 4 mins with about 7.5 mins left in the game. Very uncharacteristic of Sammy.

Edited by RedWingsRox

From Vancouver Sun :

Gillis and Vigneault can start by lifting from Luongo the captaincy, which would ease the goalie's burden by far more than a couple of grams of paint on the netminder's mask. Then, they should look at rebuilding the defence and getting more playoff-toughness in their lineup.

Luongo will be a leader on the Canucks whether he has a 'C' or not. But a lot of people ignored the uncomfortable optics in having a goalie as captain. If a forward-captain, say Toews, says his team was sloppy and may as well have rented out space in front of its net, it's an all-inclusive criticism. If a goalie says it, it sounds like churlish finger-pointing.

More importantly, taking the 'C' off Luongo means one less thing for the goalie to worry about, one less distraction. He seemed to have plenty of those against Chicago. Even Luongo realized this when he refused before the Canucks' final two playoff games to speak to reporters at the morning skate. He can't be captain and do that. Not in this market.

Gillis and Vigneault should give the captaincy to Kesler or, better yet, Henrik Sedin, who is both more accountable and sensible. It will help Luongo.

Luongo's attempt at humor may have been the tipping point for Gillis.

He'll be telling any slacking players to "Go f*ck yourself"

It should definitely be Kesler. He's one of their offensive leaders, he's the best defensive player on the team, and he shows up in pressure situations. He's a leader on and off the ice and classy, while Luongo will indirectly complain about the team's performance as an excuse for his own poor showing.

Honestly, it could be Brad Norton instead of Luongo, and it would be an improvement simply by removing the captaincy from their highly paid goaltender, the overrated "Itwasn't Myfaulto"

It should definitely be Kesler. He's one of their offensive leaders, he's the best defensive player on the team, and he shows up in pressure situations. He's a leader on and off the ice and classy, while Luongo will indirectly complain about the team's performance as an excuse for his own poor showing.

Honestly, it could be Brad Norton instead of Luongo, and it would be an improvement simply by removing the captaincy from their highly paid goaltender, the overrated "Itwasn't Myfaulto"

The guy is the biggest ******* flopper in the league. He has fought teammates in practice, and had a feud with his Captain and goaltender this year. He's a punk.

The guy is the biggest ******* flopper in the league. He has fought teammates in practice, and had a feud with his Captain and goaltender this year. He's a punk.

Wow. First time I've ever heard of somebody actually speak ill of him on here.

Guest Shoreline

It's sad, and kinda reminds me of Cujo. Excellent netminder, has teams that don't perform top notch come playoff time. Has bad games, good games, and is the center of a LOT of praise and criticism alike. He's one of the league's top goaltenders but come playoff time he's stuck with something to prove until he and his team can actually make something of a decent standing.

Edited by Shoreline

Expensive goaltending isn't worth it. There isn't that much difference between top-5 and average when it comes to goalies anymore.

Lose Luongo, insert Schneider and $6m elite defenseman... VAN is the same or more likely does better this year.

Lose MAF, insert any decent plug goalie and $5m winger for Sid, I bet PIT does better.

Edited by digitaljohn88

It's never good to make your goaltender team captain for that reason. I would think they would want either Kesler or one of the Sedins.

Wow. First time I've ever heard of somebody actually speak ill of him on here.

Look at my location, I watch alot of Canucks hockey. Everyone here is just on his dick because he's from Michigan, and/or because of what he did for team USA. He's a good hockey player, but classy he is not.

I like Louie and all but he just doesn't look like he is a strong Playoff goaltender. I think Vancouver is a good team and they a seem like they are in the right direction but I definetly don't think Luongo is as great as everyone says he is.

Look at my location, I watch alot of Canucks hockey. Everyone here is just on his dick because he's from Michigan, and/or because of what he did for team USA. He's a good hockey player, but classy he is not.

How did you know about him fighting teammates and the feuds with the captain?

EDIT: Online articles or...?

Edited by titanium2