• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#21 Doggy

Doggy

Meanwhile...

• HoF Booster
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:29 PM

Vancouver's a young team. They have plenty of time to win the Cup. This isn't their last chance. Seems like people are talking like it is.
Rough as guts.

#22 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 11:04 PM

Vancouver's a young team. They have plenty of time to win the Cup. This isn't their last chance. Seems like people are talking like it is.

The problem with Vancouver is that they have built their team like this:

Excellent top line.
Solid second line.
Mediocre checking line.
Mediocre fourth line.

Good top pair.
Decent second pair.
Mediocre third pair.

Very good regular season goalie who they hope can carry them in the playoffs.

Most championship teams are built like this:

Strong top line
Strong second line.
Good checking line
Solid fourth line.

Very good top pairing.
Strong second pairing.
Decent third pair.

Good regular season goalie capable of carrying the team in the playoffs.

Look at the two builds. Which builds provide very good regular seasons and playoff failure, and which provide good regular seasons and deep playoff runs?

I think you all know the answer.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#23 Nhurdi

Nhurdi

• PipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 12:32 AM

I agree he is over rated.

I think they are really missing Mitchel at the moment. With that said the whole mental game is getting the best of the whole team as well.

#24 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 12:57 AM

Yea would no say he is the most overrated in the nhl tho
Posted Image

#25 Firehawk

Firehawk

Don't Touch My Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:02 AM

Wow, I couldn't believe this until I looked it up. 5 out of the 8 goalies are less than a mill per season:
Howie - $750K
Niemi - $825K (but they got $5.5 mill in their backup :lol: )
Rask - $750K (another $6 mill goalie as backup :lol: )
Boucher - $925K
Halak - $800K
Luongo - $7.5 mill
Nabokov -$6 mill
Fleury - $3.5 mill

Nabokov and Luongo are WAYYYYYY overpaid, neither are any more than average in my opinion. Both SJ and Vancouver have had success to this point despite their goalies. And now look at Vancouver. They can't stay in a game because of Luongo. Nabokov gave up just as many goals as Howard did in this series, unfortunately we couldn't get that one more per game. But as long as SJ has Nab, they won't win the cup. He's not a cup winning goalie. At some point they're going to need him for more than a period or two at a time. And i hvae a feeling, in round 3 against Chicago, we'll see what I'm talking about.
U GUYS ARE FUKIN ANYOING IM GONNA COME DOWN THERE AND KILL ALL YALL THE ONLY THING THAT SAVED UR TEAM WAS OSGOOD AND OSSGOOD SUKS 2 JUST LIKE UR WHOLE FUKIN TEAM I HOPE U HEARD THIS AND THINK CAUSE ALL I GOT TO SAY TO U IS UR A BUNCH OF FUKIN IDIOTS BARONS A HOOSER CUSE HE WENT TO UR TEAM AND I HOPE U GUYS SHOULD SEND UR TEAM TO ANOTHER CITY CAUSE U GUYS ARE A BUNCH OF FUKIN WHINERS GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! --- A canucks fan on stltoday.com

This was so funny I had to set it as my sig.

#26 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,405 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:25 AM

He seems to have the answer to the problem; gone is the beard.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#27 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:47 AM

We were lucky to see Roy when he was at his worst, too. Muueeeehaaahaaa.

Sick, I know - but I couldn't resist. :hehe:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#28 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,364 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:01 PM

Luongo may be suffering from Kiprusoff syndrome. Vancouver, like Calgary, plays their starter far too much. Andrew Raycroft actually looked respectable as a back-up this season, it wouldn't have killed them to give him a few more starts in relief of Luongo.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#29 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:48 PM

Luongo is a fantastic goalie. He is not really their biggest problem. He doesn't get any rest at all during the season, and they had a hard season, AND he played Olympics.

As for Vancouver, while I was living there, I tried to tell some fans what their problem was. Luongo is like Brodeur back in the 90's. Amazing goalie. But Vancouver hasn't clued in to what NJ did.

They need a Scott Stevens. Their backend is weak from top to bottom. They're a typical EC team, in the WC. All about scoring, forget about Defence.

#30 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 07:01 PM

Excellent top line.
Solid second line.
Mediocre checking line.
Mediocre fourth line.

Good top pair.
Decent second pair.
Mediocre third pair.

Strong top line
Strong second line.
Good checking line
Solid fourth line.

Very good top pairing.
Strong second pairing.
Decent third pair.

Look at the two builds. Which builds provide very good regular seasons and playoff failure, and which provide good regular seasons and deep playoff runs?

That took up so much space to say f*** ALL I wanted you to read it again
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#31 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,364 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:13 PM

Luongo is a fantastic goalie. He is not really their biggest problem. He doesn't get any rest at all during the season, and they had a hard season, AND he played Olympics.

As for Vancouver, while I was living there, I tried to tell some fans what their problem was. Luongo is like Brodeur back in the 90's. Amazing goalie. But Vancouver hasn't clued in to what NJ did.

They need a Scott Stevens. Their backend is weak from top to bottom. They're a typical EC team, in the WC. All about scoring, forget about Defence.

Suck the life and entertainment value out of every game?

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#32 Grypho

Grypho

Sharks Fan

• HoF Booster
  • 487 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:46 AM

I think the "blending in" with a better team component is valid, although I view it more along the lines of 'trust chemistry', which is really hard to fake. When the Avs had Roy, he wasn't just great -- their belief in him made them greater, as their offense was constantly emboldened to take a lot more risks. Their defense rose to the game as well, as the defense wasn't guided so much by fear of what their 'bad' netminder might let in; rather it was more like "offensive defense", scrambling for puck control only to get the game quickly back into offensive mode.

Because of Luongo's LTC, and what I believe to be the Luongo Myth, I see a little bit of that at work, but it's mostly artificial - manufactured by mantra. Even then, all it takes is a couple of really good games or stellar saves for Vancouver to give Luongo the benefit of any lagging doubts, and they'll rally back behind him as if he was a Roy of sorts. But he's not. I agree that he's definitely one of the most overrated players in the NHL.

#33 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:02 AM

I think the "blending in" with a better team component is valid, although I view it more along the lines of 'trust chemistry', which is really hard to fake. When the Avs had Roy, he wasn't just great -- their belief in him made them greater, as their offense was constantly emboldened to take a lot more risks.

Roy with Colorado really was great. His performance in Colorado was much better than his performance in Montreal. Osgood in Detroit has performed just as well if not better in the postseason as Roy did in Montreal. Roy in Colorado stepped his game up from where it was in Montreal. It would be like seeing Osgood play the 11 playoffs, and make his play in the 08 and 09 playoffs look like his 09-10 regular season. That was the difference in his play.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#34 wingsfaninMA

wingsfaninMA

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:42 PM

Excellent top line.
Solid second line.
Mediocre checking line.
Mediocre fourth line.

Good top pair.
Decent second pair.
Mediocre third pair.

Strong top line
Strong second line.
Good checking line
Solid fourth line.

Very good top pairing.
Strong second pairing.
Decent third pair.

Why don't you know there difference between opinion and fact? also whats with ur stupid font?

Van has some great young players that are improving. Burrows, raymond, kesler, bernier, edler, grabner???? You think theyve peaked or something??

#35 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,159 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:46 PM

Just when I thought he couldn't suck any more, he puts up this effort to cement this thread.

He's lucky Team Canada bailed him out this season, cause in retrospect, he played rather poor in the Olympics and had trouble handling pucks.

He's just not a clutch goalie. Period.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#36 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:53 PM

Just when I thought he couldn't suck any more, he puts up this effort to cement this thread.

He's lucky Team Canada bailed him out this season, cause in retrospect, he played rather poor in the Olympics and had trouble handling pucks.

Another disappointing season for him.He's gonna get eaten alive by the media in Vancouver.He's beyond overrated and beyond overpaid.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#37 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:55 PM

Howard had a MUCH better postseason than Luongo has had.

#38 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,159 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:59 PM

Howard had a MUCH better postseason than Luongo has had.

Pretty much everyone has, except for Marty Brodeur.

Ironic how much these two guys suck.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#39 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:12 PM

I disagree i think the Canuks D is weak with Salo hurt,Mitchell out and thats about all they have well Edler to, The Forwards just couldnt get it done after unloading in the 1st round Kesler,Burrows,Raymond,Wellwood didnt do anything in this series and the Sedins and Samuelsson cooled right off. The Nucks need more depth on D 100%

#40 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:28 PM

I disagree i think the Canuks D is weak with Salo hurt,Mitchell out and thats about all they have well Edler to, The Forwards just couldnt get it done after unloading in the 1st round Kesler,Burrows,Raymond,Wellwood didnt do anything in this series and the Sedins and Samuelsson cooled right off. The Nucks need more depth on D 100%

This is true but the problem is that he's being paid 5m+. Therefore expectations are going to be HIGH.

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!