• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#61 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 12:15 AM

It was a successful regular season but a disappointing playoffs.

Making the playoffs while devastated by injuries=epic success.

Losing terribly in the playoffs while healthy and full of talent=disappointment.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#62 Russian Houdini

Russian Houdini

Russian Houdini

• Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 12:24 AM

Man I love this team... I love the jersey. I love the history, and I love this season. This was my first true season as a Red Wing.. as I watched nearly every game and went out to the games that I could when they came to the West Coast.

I've followed Detroit for about 12 years now, but my passion has gone to another level. Going through all the adversity the boys still showed up ready to play. There were days where things just weren't going right.. I tried to stay positive. We have to.

Hopefully everyone comes back healthy, and we have a good off-season.

LET'S GO RED WINGS...
Ајмо Црвена Крила!!!!

#63 AIK'91

AIK'91

Rookie

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 12:30 AM

Thanks for the great season! :thumbup:

I'm proud they went out trying. It just wasn't our year.

#64 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:03 AM

Well, this season certainly has had enough drama! Despite it not being the best year ever, I still had a great effing time watching what, in my opinion, will always be the best hockey team in the league. Also, it's been great talking to the best fans in the league, too!

Congrats to our newest player and Calder nominee, Mr. Jimmy Howard, for what was overall a pretty great year. Obviously there were a few bumps in the road, but I thought he worked out well in the end, and I look forward to seeing what he does next season.

Congrats to one of our senior players, Nicklas Lidstrom, for 18 (it's 18, right?) seasons of awesome hockey. You ARE defensive hockey, and you've been a great inspiration to your teammates, not to mention us fans, as a captain. It can't have been easy to follow The Captain, but if anyone carries on Yzerman's legacy of class and teamwork, it's you. I just better see you again in fall, dammit, because this is NOT a good-bye note. I'll be thanking you for your 19th season (if I've got the math right) next year, so be there.

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")

#65 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:06 AM

Good job it always sucks to loose, but someone has to. Well it will take a few days until I can forget about this loss Ill prob start focusing on my golf game more.
Posted Image

#66 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:44 AM

It was a different season indeed. Working so hard in the end to make it a 100 pts season and making it to the playoffs.
At one point, we were all happy just to make it in but of course, once we're in, we have high expectations.
Howie can only get better. Went to round 2 in his first year. Bright future.
Sure I'm upset it didn't last a bit longer but all in all, pretty satisfied.

#67 bdavis

bdavis

• Bronze Booster
  • 321 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:54 AM

At least we wont have to see Williams wearing a Winged wheel ever again.

Btw, I think that the Wings need all the rest they can get. Perhaps an early exit is a blessing in disguise. With all the rest from this season, the Wings will be able to push further next season. Also, all of the injuries will be healed up come October :D.

Edited by bd2988, 09 May 2010 - 01:54 AM.

#68 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:28 AM

They exceeded all expectations. Now they need to rest up and get healthy for next season.

Can't wait for the playoffs to get over so we can get to the fun stuff... like re-signing Captains, trades/signings, and drafting future Red Wings.

#69 soultrain

soultrain

hairdresser of the sharts

• Bronze Booster
  • 805 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:05 AM

congrats red wings for kicking the s*** out of the dirt dogs and for playing very hard. jimmy howard is fantastic. wings played GREAT hockey. always proud of the team...and i can'tf****** wait until JASON WILLIAMS is gone for good. :crazy:

#70 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:44 AM

What was great about this season? By "wings standards" this season was sub par :thumbdown:

#71 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:15 AM

Great season for sure. The team showed a ton of heart and strenght in being able to overcome all the off-season losses and injuries. The way they adapted from winning games purely on skill and scoring to grinding out 2-1, 3-2 wins was amazing to see. The emergence of Howard is probably the one lasting memory I'll have of this season. Let's just hope he can repeat his performance next year. He was inconsistent in the playoffs but I believe he was worn out, and still he had some really good games. He's our guy going forward for sure.

You can't be disappointed in making the 2nd round of the playoffs this season. It was never going to be "our season". Making the playoffs was our victory this year, everything that happened in the playoffs was a bonus. Atleast that's how I see it. They can't make the final every year.

Next year they'll be more rested and healthier, with Hudler and hopefully still with Lidstrom. Looking forward to it.

#72 redwings1926

redwings1926

Draftee

• 6 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:17 AM

Good Season, excited for next year already, bring on July 1st for free agency!

#73 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:26 AM

Conference Semi-Final for a team that, not only sports writers and fans, but their own staff, say are in a 'transition period' is amazing. It's why I know beyond all doubt we're one of the best sports organisations of all time. Greatly looking forward to next year when the transition (hopefully) will be complete!

LETS GO WINGS

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#74 Paolino99

Paolino99

Rookie

• Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:54 AM

LET'GO WINGS FOREVER!!! THANKS BUT NEXT SEASON WE MUST TO SIGN A GREAT D-MAN FOR THE FUTURE & A GOOD SNIPER....
Posted Image

#75 Spinner

Spinner

4th line spectator

• PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 07:26 AM

Thanks for the great season and for getting as far as you did. Enjoy the off season and get some rest. I know I am...*opens beer... turns on tigers game....passes out*

Edited by Spinner, 09 May 2010 - 07:27 AM.

He found the key to success 4 hours before he found the hole in his pocket.

#76 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 07:31 AM

Great job fellas! Come back healthy and hungry next season, show the league what you're really capable of!

#77 GAWing

GAWing

Prospect

• 34 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 07:57 AM

You don't advance deep in the playoffs or win the Cup every year, no shame in that. Considering the difficult season the Wings had, they still finished with over 100 points and made it to the second round. Drastic changes aren't needed, just a few tweaks here and there. Hopefully Howard will grow from this experience and be the Wings goaltender for a while.

#78 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:01 AM

There are two approaches that people are taking to this.

Approach #1 is to look at the end result and be disappointed and upset at the Wings. After all, the season ended without a Stanley cup.

Approach #2 is to look at the end result and be proud of the Wings and what they have accomplished. After all, at the olympic break, they weren't even in the playoffs. They turned the season around and got in, and then had a pretty successful run in the playoffs.

I choose to take approach #2. There can only be one Stanley Cup winner. I firmly believe that the Wings tried their best, but ran into a hungrier team.

Great job Wings! Rest up, and we will see you again in September/October.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#79 BruiseBrother

BruiseBrother

Prospect

• 32 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:02 AM

Thanks Boys!

Best enforcer of all time and will no doubt will live on as the most famous and most admired in the history of the sport.

RIP Probie. At least Jesus knows someone has his back.

#80 wings1fan19

wings1fan19

Rookie

• Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:31 AM

It was a fun season and playoffs to watch full of ups and downs. in the end im proud to say im a Detroit fan :) Thanks for the awesome year :thumbup: