• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Paul MacLean's Mustache

Who should we Keep? Release? Sign?

Rate this topic

Beg: Lidstrom

Keep: Bertuzzi & Eaves(at the right price)

Tolerate: Draper (for 1 more year)

Release: Maltby & Miller

Cement Shoe: Williams

Trade: Filpula & Hudler

Bring in: JEROME IGINLA

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. Yes, sparingly.

4. Yes for Maltby, but keep Miller.

5. :lol:

6. :huh:

7. Won't happen.

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. Yes, sparingly.

4. Yes for Maltby, but keep Miller.

5. :lol:

6. :huh:

7. Won't happen.

4. I have nothing against Miller but if either Miller or Eaves had to go I'd let Miller go

5. Cement shoe's would go great with his cement hands!

6. The only way for #7 would be this. Fil looked his best this year and I am anti-Hudler after he hamstrung us for money this year!

7. I know it won't happen bc Iggy is exactly what we need (Strength, Hits, Fights, Hard shot, Scores goals) and thats not Kenny's style. Iggy's a bit older but I really think he'd flourish in Detroit where he would not have to be the team's saviour, he could just play and have fun instead of wearing the team noose around his neck! He's been scoring 30 goals on a team that can never score

Edited by The Secret

Per MLive -

Andreas Lilja, Derek Meech know they might not return; Drew Miller, Patrick Eaves, Todd Bertuzzi say they want to remain Red Wings

By George Malik

The Red Wings have one unrestricted and one restricted free agent whose futures in Detroit involve the word "maybe" in defenseman Andreas Lilja, who hopes the Wings keep him and Derek Meech, who the Wings may simply not qualify and allow to walk out the door with Brett Lebda, Jason Williams, and Brad May, the players the Wings can only wish well as they prepare to let younger and/or cheaper players fill their roles.

Meech's situation in particular merits monitoring because the Red Wings have no problems with using him as a part-time forward, part-time defenseman, and part-time player, so, as he told the Detroit News's Ted Kulfan, he knows the Wings don't present the best opportunity for him to play on a regular basis:

May 11, Detroit News: "That's ultimately what any player wants to do," Meech said. "We'll just have to see how things go from here."

Lilja, fully recovered from a concussion that limited him to 20 games, said: "I feel great. I have no problems (with the concussion). I'll just go home and regroup and get ready for next season. Both me and my family love it here (Detroit). We just have to wait and see what happens."

Not surprisingly, East Lansing native and restricted free agent-to-be Drew Miller hopes to remain a Wing as well:

"It was a great experience for myself and I got a chance to grow as a player," he said.

Meech and Lilja also spoke to MLive.com's own Ansar Khan about their futures--and Khan believes that the Wings plan on re-signing Meech and trading him if he doesn't make the training camp cut next fall:

May 11, MLive.com: "I had opportunities here and there, things just haven't worked as I've liked them to,'' Meech said. "But that's not to say I didn't have a great experience here. If there's an opportunity to go somewhere and get some minutes, that's ultimately what any player wants to do. That'd be great.''

"I feel great, no problems,'' Lilja said. "Both me and my family love it here. We have to wait and see what happens.''

He also spoke to restricted free agent-to-be Patrick Eaves about his plans...

Restricted free-agent forward Patrick Eaves, who missed the last four games against San Jose because of an elbow injury, would like to return. "I loved it here, had a great year,'' Eaves said. "The people in this organization, everyone was first-class. It's a great place to be.

As well as out-the-door probability Brad May...

Enforcer Brad May, who is contemplating retirement, said he is "going home to Toronto and reflect on this experience. I don't know if I'm going to play or look to do other things. Everybody here in Detroit's been incredible, top to bottom. It'll come down to my family. I'll go home and have a couple of bottles of wine with my wife.''

And while it appears that nobody managed to snag the Red Wings' resident grump in Todd Bertuzzi to ask him about his desire to remain a Red Wing, coach Mike Babcock expressed confidence in the likelihood of #44's return:

"Bert had a year that he has to feel good about. It didn't go great all the time, but had a real good stretch, fell off and then really finished strong. Detroit was a good fit for him as far as the players he got to play with. Now, him and (GM ) Kenny (Holland) will have to work that out.''

Both Miller and Eaves spoke to the Free Press's Helene St. James as well...

May 11, Detroit Free Press: "I'd definitely like to come back," Miller said Monday, as the Wings gathered for one last time at Joe Louis Arena after losing in the second round of the playoffs. "I think I've found a place here that I can contribute to and continue to grow as a player. The history of the team, the way the organization is run, and then for myself, being from here, it's great."

"I loved it here," Eaves said. "I had a great year. It's a great place to be. The management is great, the coaching is great, but I'd have to say it's the leadership in the locker room. Kris Draper took me under his wing this year and I owe everything I did this year to him and all the older guys. They make you feel at ease, and they just let you do what you do out there."

Draper returned Eaves' compliments in spades...

"Eaver is a great person," Kris Draper said. "He came in and was real excited to become a Detroit Red Wing. We played together a lot and I pretty well made it pretty clear: Any time, any thing, any situation you want to talk to about, I'm here for you. That's what I like to do."

While likely former Wing-to-be Kirk Maltby assessed the reasons why players who come to Detroit want to stay both with the organization and in the area (for a much-maligned city and metropolitan area, Metro Detroit possesses an incredible number of former Red Wings players who decided to settle here)...

"You listen to certain national broadcasts of news and Michigan seems to get a bit of a bad rap," veteran Kirk Maltby said. "But I've been here since '96 and anybody that's come here and I played, I don't think I can count how many guys have showed the desire to stay if possible. I think a lot of people are pleasantly surprised with how enjoyable it is to play in Michigan, in Detroit."

Brad Stuart told St. James that new players who usually come to Detroit to fill supporting roles and attempt to resuscitate their careers find tend to find their way for a simple reason:

"You come in and specify a role for you," defenseman Brad Stuart said. "They seem to know what you're good at and put you in a position to do well. You've got your leadership pretty much set at the top, so you just come in and don't have to worry about doing too much -- you can just take some time to find out where you fit in and do what you think you do well, and they do a good job of letting you know what that is."

Update 6:44 AM: The Macomb Daily's Chuck Pleiness spoke to Eaves and Maltby:

May 11, Macomb Daily: Patrick Eaves, restricted free agent. "We'll see what happens," Eaves said. "I loved it here. I had a great year. The people in this organization, everyone was first class. It's a great place to be. I just need some time off and let the body heal up and I'll be ready to go next year."

Kirk Maltby, unrestricted free agent. "I'm just going to prepare myself for next season," Maltby said. "Whether it's here or not … obviously I'd love to be back. But I know how things work in the salary cap world. It's tough to keep teams together and keep guys you may want. When that bridge comes I'll cross it them. I'm just going to enjoy the summer and prepare myself for next season."

What a pass he made to Thornton, who served up Marleau for the GAME-WINNNER!!!! I'm surprised he didn't join in the celebration, or at least be awarded an assist. Just an awful awful play.

You want to trade the #1 scoring D man in the playoffs because of 1 bad play? Everybody makes a bad play once in awhile. That's hockey

i only have one question for our CM's (couch managers) here...i'm seeing a lot of rosters @ 20 players. after this past season of insulting injury...is anyone really comfortable having only a 20-man roster?

i'm seeing a lot of ideas i like, players i'd take...but not too many full rosters to get it done with. either that, or its 6 d-men with no cap space left. what happens should (gods forbid) just one of those 6 d-men gets injured?

its little things like this that keep me from junking out on capgeek...everytime i think i've got a good one, i notice the little cracks.

I'll try to play the role of Ken Holland. Here's the way I'm really hoping to see what Holland does this offseason.

First, the major moves I'm hoping to see.

The Wings need to upgrade their defense core. By that, I'm hoping they go out and sign Dan Hamhuis from Nashville. Hamhuis is a top 4 defenseman. He's 6'1", 203 pounds, and he's 27, and will turn 28 December 13th. His stats over the past five seasons are 25 goals and 110 assists for 135 points. He's also a plus 15 during that time and had 318 PIMs. Over the past five regular seasons, Hamhuis has played in all but seven(403/410) games for the Predators. In 22 playoff games, Hamhuis has one goal and seven assists for eight points. However, he did post a Minus 10 in those games. Just entering his prime, he can play quality minutes that a guy like Andreas Lilja cannot. This also would take pressure off Lidstrom and Rafalski, therefore keeping them healthier. Hamhuis will want a deal in the four year, $13 Million range. That comes out to a $3.25 Million cap hit.

After the defense core is upgraded, I believe the Wings need a 3rd Line forward with speed to compliment Helm. By that, I'm hoping they go out and sign Matthew Lombardi. At 6'0", 198 pounds, and 28 years old, Lombardi is another guy just entering his prime. His stats over the past five seasons are 73 goals and 134 assists for 207 points. He's also a plus 24 and had 243 PIMs. He has played in 365/410 games over the past five regular seasons. In 27 playoff games, Lombardi has two goals and eight assists for 10 points. However, he did post a Minus 5 in those games. But just entering his prime, another speedster to compliment Helm will end up putting immense pressure on opponents' defense, tiring them, and will indirectly score another 20-25 goals during the course of the season. Lombardi could be a $3.0 Million guy. He made $2.35 Million last season, but I think he'd take a deal around five years, $12 Million because he would have a chance to win the cup every year. That would come out to a $2.4 Million cap hit.

I cannot imagine Lidstrom retiring for the simple reason that he has so much left in the tank. So if I'm Holland, I know(or at least am hoping) Lidstrom will play one or two more seasons. Lidstrom is still worth the money he was paid last season ($7.45M). But Lidstrom is one of the classiest guys one will ever meet and he'll take a bit of a pay cut. So what you do is sign Listrom to a five year, $14 Million deal. Listrom would still make $6 Million per season, but he would be only a $2.8 Million cap hit, allowing the Wings to sign guys such as Hamhuis and Lombardi.

I would let Williams and Bertuzzi go. You caught lightning in a bottle with Bertuzzi this season, and Williams wasn't worth a penny of his $1.5 Million deal. Maltby will most likely retire and take a job within the organization, similar to Larry Murphy. And you also have the return of Jiri Hudler.

With that being said, here's how I have next season's roster figured.

2010 Salary Contract Cap Hit

2 Dan Hamhuis $3,500,000 4 yr, $13M $3,250,000

5 Nicklas Lidstrom $6,000,000 5 yr, $14M $2,800,000

8 Justin Abdelkader $750,000 3 yr, $2.7M $900,000

11 Dan Cleary $3,000,000 3 yr, $9M $2,800,000

13 Pavel Datsyuk $6,700,000 4 yr, $26.8M $6,700,000

15 Matthew Lombardi $2,000,000 5 yr, $11.5M $2,300,000

*17 Patrick Eaves $500,000 2 yr, $1M $500,000

*20 Drew Miller $500,000 2 yr, $1M $500,000

23 Brad Stuart $3,750,000 2 yr, $7.5M $3,750,000

26 Jiri Hudler $2,875,000 2 yr, $5.75M $2,875,000

28 Brian Rafalski $6,000,000 2 yr, $12M $6,000,000

30 Chris Osgood $1,100,000 1 yr, $1.1M $1,416,666

33 Kris Draper $1,250,000 1 yr, $1.25M $1,583,333

35 Jimmy Howard $800,000 1 yr, $800K $716,666

40 Henrik Zetterberg $7,750,000 11 yr, $65.6M $6,083,333

42 Mattias Ritola $500,000 2 yr, $1.1M $550,000

43 Darren Helm $700,000 5 yr, $8M $1,600,000

51 Valtteri Filppula $3,500,000 3 yr, $10.5M $3,000,000

52 Jonathan Ericsson $1,250,000 1 yr, $1.25M $900,000

55 Niklas Kronwall $3,500,000 2 yr, $7.25M $3,000,000

93 Johan Franzen $5,000,000 10 yr, $38M $3,954,545

96 Tomas Holmstrom $1,500,000 1 yr, $1.5M $1,500,000

Average Age: 29.95 $62,425,000

2010 Salary Cap: $56,900,000

20 Players Signed For: $55,929,543

Remaining Cap Space: $970,457

Bold: Players actually signed.

Italics: Players not signed.

* - two way contract, begin in Grand Rapids, does not count against cap unless on Wings Roster.

Projected Red Wings Lines with new signings:

Line 1: Datsyuk, Franzen, Filppula

Line 2: Zetterberg, Holmstrom, Cleary

Line 3: Helm, Hudler, Lombardi

Line 4: Draper, Abdelkader, Ritola

DP 1: Lidstrom & Rafalski

DP 2: Kronwall & Hamhuis

DP 3: Stuart & Ericsson

G: Chris Osgood

G: Jimmy Howard

I would also like to see a possible trade of Cleary to unload his salary. Trade him to an Eastern Conference team for a draft pick. Then the Wings would be able to sign another free agent on July 1, Tomas Plekanec. He'll cost the same as Cleary, but he'll score more and has more years. It's not that I don't like Cleary, but Plekanec is better.

Plekanec is 5'11", 197 pounds, and 27 years old. He is another guy entering his prime while Cleary is five years older. His stats over the past five seasons are 103 goals and 151 assists for 254 points. He was also a plus 25 and had 214 PIMs. He has played in 391/410 games over the past five regular seasons. In 34 playoff games, Plekanec has eight goals and 15 assists for 23 points. However, he did post a minus five in those games. But another guy entering his prime would give the Wings three guys in their primes, one a 1st or 2nd Liner, another a 3rd Liner, and the third a defenseman who will eat up minutes otherwise taken up by Lidstrom, will be absolutely huge for the Wings. I guess we'll wait and see what they do.

But here's a dream team that can also be reality.

Line 1: Datsyuk, Franzen, Filppula

Line 2: Zetterberg, Holmstrom, Plekanec

DP 3: Stuart & Ericsson

i totally agree that we need to upgrade the defense. but lilja is not the weak spot

how can you send miller and eaves to the ahl after both of them having great season with the wings? id take miller or eaves over draper any day. when the last time draper killed a penalty or done anything useful? he doesnt even take key faceoffs anymore.

i dont know much about lombardi or plekanec. the size i like. if they kill penalties id be okay with those moves though. i dont see wings trading cleary though.

They can't. In seemingly every possible way the Wings are stuck with him.

I'm not sure who exactly, but I know a few of the Blackhawks second-tier players(guys like Byfuglien/Bolland/Haljmerson/etc) may be available if Scotty Bowman's son can't find a way to move Huet/cut some other salaries...

I think those guys will be available at a decent price, and it will hurt a division rival as well. It's not going to kill them, as their top of the line talent is so good, but it will make them a bit easier to handle before Kane/Toews/Seabrook/Niemi hit their prime.

I'm not sure who exactly, but I know a few of the Blackhawks second-tier players(guys like Byfuglien/Bolland/Haljmerson/etc) may be available if Scotty Bowman's son can't find a way to move Huet/cut some other salaries...

I think those guys will be available at a decent price, and it will hurt a division rival as well. It's not going to kill them, as their top of the line talent is so good, but it will make them a bit easier to handle before Kane/Toews/Seabrook/Niemi hit their prime.

Except, is there any team in their right mind that would take Huet and even Campbell?

In this off season, we need to get these two

1. Decent 3rd liners and spot for Holmstrom; I love him but he does not deserve to be on top 6 and I hope he walks out.

2. One top 4 defense if Kronwall continues to play horrible.

Hjalmarsson would be a perfect fit especially with the Swedish connection. Not saying that plays a huge role in anything but the guy has talent on the power play and pk. Young too. But I will say it yet again Hamhuis and Lombardi are key guys to target but that would be at the expense of losing Bert more than likely. We could live with that I think.

Hjalmarsson would be a perfect fit especially with the Swedish connection. Not saying that plays a huge role in anything but the guy has talent on the power play and pk. Young too. But I will say it yet again Hamhuis and Lombardi are key guys to target but that would be at the expense of losing Bert more than likely. We could live with that I think.

How about Jiri Hudler to Florida for Nathan Horton?

How about Jiri Hudler to Florida for Nathan Horton?

I'm in.. Horton could flourish here without a doubt. Huds definitely has sentimental value but that somewhat went away when he left for that year (which we would have done too, 5 million non-taxable yowza.gif ) Bingo Bango!

Would the cap allow it?I'm not sure what Horton's salary is.

Horton signed a 6 year/$24 Million deal with the Panthers in 2007. So his cap hit is $4 Million, way out of the Wings available cap space range. Good player, but can't afford him.

Like I said before, I want the Wings to go out and sign Matthew Lombardi and Dan Hamhuis. They can do it depending on what Listrom's deal is. I think the Wings should sign him to a 5 year, $14 Million deal. Now I know Lidstrom is going to play just one or two more years, but signing him for five at $14M allows him to make $6 Million per season while only being a $2.8 Million hit on the cap, allowing the Wings to sign Lombardi and Hamhuis. I'm also on board trading Cleary so the Wings would be able to sign Tomas Plekanec, a good scorer(25 goals/45 assists this season) and plays well on the PK. Plekanec costs the same as Cleary, but scores a lot more, and is five years younger.

Lidstrom: $6 Million Salary/5 yr, $14 Million Contract/$2.8 Million Cap Hit

Hamhuis: $3 Million Salary/3 yr/$9.5 Million Contract/$3.25 Million Cap Hit

Lombardi: $2 Million Salary/5 yr, $11 Million Contract/$2.2 Million Cap Hit

Plekanec: $3 Million Salary/5 yr, $15 Million Contract/$3 Million Cap Hit

-Lidstrom is a classy guy and he'll take a $1.45 Million pay cut for the team knowing they will be better and he has two more chances at a fifth Cup.

-Hamhuis could get a $3.5-4 Million per season deal, but I believe he'd take a $250,000-$750,000 pay cut knowing he'd have a chance to win a Cup every season.

-Lombardi could probably get another Million to a Million and a half more in a five year deal, but I also believe he'll take the cut knowing he'd have a chance to win a cup every season.

-Plekanec is my one true question mark. If he wins a Cup with Montreal, he may want more money. If Montreal loses, he may take a deal with a perennial contender for less. This season, he made $2.75 Million. With a 70 point season, he may want more money anyway. But would $250,000 more per season($1.25 Million total) be enough to bring him to Hockeytown? I have no idea.

Here's the way I'm looking at it:

Lilja or Hamhuis?

Lilja turns 35 in July and has a history of concussion issues. Hamhuis turns 28 in December, and while not a big scorer, will provide more offense than Lilja and is plain and simple a better defenseman than Lilja.

Cleary or Plekanec?

Cleary, who turns 32 in December and is exiting his prime, peaked at 42 points in 2007-08. Plekanec turns 28 in October, is in the middle of his prime, and peaked at 70 points this season.

Bertuzzi or Lombardi?

Bertuzzi, who just turned 35 this past February, is past his prime. The Wings caught lightning in a bottle this season with his 18 goals and 44 points. Bertuzzi does have good size(6'3" 245), but I'd sacrifice his size for a guy with speed. Lombardi just turned 28 this past March also is in the middle of his prime. He scored 19 goals this season and had 53 points. He and Helm will thrive with each other's speed along with Hudler.

Projected Lines with Signings:

Line 1: Datsyuk, Holmstrom, Filppula

Line 2: Zetterberg, Franzen, Plekanec

DP 3: Ericsson & Stuart

I guess we'll have to wait and see. Seven weeks from today Free Agency opens!!!

Sorry to burst your bubble redwingsfan1003 but your idea for Lidstrom won't work. He is over the age of 35 so if he signs a new contract he can't retire before its up otherwise his cap hit will still count against us for the remaining years on his contract even if he doesn't play. If Lidstrom comes back it will only be a 1 or 2 year deal, no "discount" years can be tacked on like they were for Z or Franzen.

Edited by Lidstrom for life

Horton signed a 6 year/$24 Million deal with the Panthers in 2007. So his cap hit is $4 Million, way out of the Wings available cap space range. Good player, but can't afford him.

Like I said before, I want the Wings to go out and sign Matthew Lombardi and Dan Hamhuis. They can do it depending on what Listrom's deal is. I think the Wings should sign him to a 5 year, $14 Million deal. Now I know Lidstrom is going to play just one or two more years, but signing him for five at $14M allows him to make $6 Million per season while only being a $2.8 Million hit on the cap, allowing the Wings to sign Lombardi and Hamhuis. I'm also on board trading Cleary so the Wings would be able to sign Tomas Plekanec, a good scorer(25 goals/45 assists this season) and plays well on the PK. Plekanec costs the same as Cleary, but scores a lot more, and is five years younger.

Lidstrom: $6 Million Salary/5 yr, $14 Million Contract/$2.8 Million Cap Hit

Hamhuis: $3 Million Salary/3 yr/$9.5 Million Contract/$3.25 Million Cap Hit

Lombardi: $2 Million Salary/5 yr, $11 Million Contract/$2.2 Million Cap Hit

Plekanec: $3 Million Salary/5 yr, $15 Million Contract/$3 Million Cap Hit

-Lidstrom is a classy guy and he'll take a $1.45 Million pay cut for the team knowing they will be better and he has two more chances at a fifth Cup.

-Hamhuis could get a $3.5-4 Million per season deal, but I believe he'd take a $250,000-$750,000 pay cut knowing he'd have a chance to win a Cup every season.

-Lombardi could probably get another Million to a Million and a half more in a five year deal, but I also believe he'll take the cut knowing he'd have a chance to win a cup every season.

-Plekanec is my one true question mark. If he wins a Cup with Montreal, he may want more money. If Montreal loses, he may take a deal with a perennial contender for less. This season, he made $2.75 Million. With a 70 point season, he may want more money anyway. But would $250,000 more per season($1.25 Million total) be enough to bring him to Hockeytown? I have no idea.

Here's the way I'm looking at it:

Lilja or Hamhuis?

Lilja turns 35 in July and has a history of concussion issues. Hamhuis turns 28 in December, and while not a big scorer, will provide more offense than Lilja and is plain and simple a better defenseman than Lilja.

Cleary or Plekanec?

Cleary, who turns 32 in December and is exiting his prime, peaked at 42 points in 2007-08. Plekanec turns 28 in October, is in the middle of his prime, and peaked at 70 points this season.

Bertuzzi or Lombardi?

Bertuzzi, who just turned 35 this past February, is past his prime. The Wings caught lightning in a bottle this season with his 18 goals and 44 points. Bertuzzi does have good size(6'3" 245), but I'd sacrifice his size for a guy with speed. Lombardi just turned 28 this past March also is in the middle of his prime. He scored 19 goals this season and had 53 points. He and Helm will thrive with each other's speed along with Hudler.

Projected Lines with Signings:

Line 1: Datsyuk, Holmstrom, Filppula

Line 2: Zetterberg, Franzen, Plekanec

DP 3: Ericsson & Stuart

I guess we'll have to wait and see. Seven weeks from today Free Agency opens!!!

Let me summarize what i hope to see that is somewhat realistic:

-Trade Hudler for draft picks

-Let Bertuzzi walk

-Re-sign Holmstrom

-Re-sign Lidstrom at a discount

-Let Lilja walk

-Let Lebda walk

-Let Meech walk

-Let Williams walk

-Re-sign Eaves

-Re-sign Abdelkader

-Re-sign Helm

-Let Miller walk

-Maltby retires

-Sign a tough defensemen that blocks shots like Sheldon Brookbank or Jim Vandermeer

-Sign a gritty 4th line center that can take draws like Ryan Johnson or Brian Sutherby or Brandon Prust and sign a rugged winger with some skill like Shawn Thornton or Brad WInchester.

Franzen-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Filppula-Zetterberg-Cleary

Abdelkader-Helm-Eaves

Draper-______-______

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Stuart-Kronwall

Ericsson-______

-Kindl

I dunno if this has been discussed since its way too long of a thread to read all of it but its looking like Kenny wants to toughen up the bottom 6. Hopefully he gets someone who isn`t coming here to play a year then retire. Someone under 30 would be nice.

He said someone who can play and is really tough to play against (which means he probably wants someone who will fight) because Babs loves these guys. We could probably use a third liner but it doesn't seem like its going to happen unless something unforeseen takes place. So heres a list of realistic guys who wouldn't cost much more then a million at the most and are tough to play against.

Adam Burish - think the hawks need to let some guys go, they already have eager, fraser and some other scrappy guys so Burish may the odd man out. I really think this might be the most realistic guy to sign here. Only 26(?) or so. From our division so the wings will know a lot about him.

Eric Nystrom - Not a fighter but can fight and fights pretty well when he does. Plays a work horse style game and will grind it out with the best of them. PKs like crazy and will run guys over. He's also in his mid 20s so thats a plus.

Brad Winchester - Big guy, hits, fights and can play the game. WOuld be a perfect fit for a 4th line role here. I`m pretty sure he`s under 30 so he could be a good pick up for what we`re looking for.

Scott Nichol - Faceoffs, PK, Feistiness, the occasional scrap. If he does well in San Jose this year he might choose to stay. He's also old so would rather see one of the first 2.

Zenon Konopka - led the leagues in fights and faceoff percentage last season. Could take Drapers spot as the 4th line centerman. Under 30 and put up lots of points in the AHL so there may some untapped potential there too.

Aaron Asham - Best middleweight fighter in the league. Plays on a solid third line and can put up 30 points. The only knock on him is his age. Could fit in nicely though.

Shawn Thorton - another older guy but he`s a heavyweight that can play really well. Definitely deserves to play other then his fighting skills. Wouldn`t mind seeing him since he`ll take anyone on.

Adding any of these guys with the addition of Abdelkader to the bottom 6 will make this team much different to watch. If Kenny realy wants to toughen it up, let Lilja walk and sign Carkner.

bert, draper, malts have to go, we have a lot of experience, and draper and malts dont bring offense and bert doesnt play defense often, id like to see detroit get rid of these guys this year, and pick up either wellwood, ladd, brouwer etc. guys that can score on the thrid line without much help from star players. they also run about the same price as bert or less, and are young. chicago will have to let some of their guys go... i want eaves and miller and abby in next year cause they are great role players.

id love these d pairings:

Stuart-Kronner

Lids - Rafi

Volchenkov - Lilja

Ericsson, Kindl, Smith as reserves.

I dunno if this has been discussed since its way too long of a thread to read all of it but its looking like Kenny wants to toughen up the bottom 6. Hopefully he gets someone who isn`t coming here to play a year then retire. Someone under 30 would be nice.

He said someone who can play and is really tough to play against (which means he probably wants someone who will fight) because Babs loves these guys. We could probably use a third liner but it doesn't seem like its going to happen unless something unforeseen takes place. So heres a list of realistic guys who wouldn't cost much more then a million at the most and are tough to play against.

Adam Burish - think the hawks need to let some guys go, they already have eager, fraser and some other scrappy guys so Burish may the odd man out. I really think this might be the most realistic guy to sign here. Only 26(?) or so. From our division so the wings will know a lot about him.

Eric Nystrom - Not a fighter but can fight and fights pretty well when he does. Plays a work horse style game and will grind it out with the best of them. PKs like crazy and will run guys over. He's also in his mid 20s so thats a plus.

Brad Winchester - Big guy, hits, fights and can play the game. WOuld be a perfect fit for a 4th line role here. I`m pretty sure he`s under 30 so he could be a good pick up for what we`re looking for.

Scott Nichol - Faceoffs, PK, Feistiness, the occasional scrap. If he does well in San Jose this year he might choose to stay. He's also old so would rather see one of the first 2.

Zenon Konopka - led the leagues in fights and faceoff percentage last season. Could take Drapers spot as the 4th line centerman. Under 30 and put up lots of points in the AHL so there may some untapped potential there too.

Aaron Asham - Best middleweight fighter in the league. Plays on a solid third line and can put up 30 points. The only knock on him is his age. Could fit in nicely though.

Shawn Thorton - another older guy but he`s a heavyweight that can play really well. Definitely deserves to play other then his fighting skills. Wouldn`t mind seeing him since he`ll take anyone on.

Adding any of these guys with the addition of Abdelkader to the bottom 6 will make this team much different to watch. If Kenny realy wants to toughen it up, let Lilja walk and sign Carkner.

This has been discussed and i totally agree with you.I'm not sure if it was this thread or not but i put an absolute mammoth list of all the guys that i could think of that will be available this offseason that would be good 4th line pickups.Sheldon Brookbank would be a cheap,solid upgrade from Lilja as well.