Who should we Keep? Release? Sign?

Rate this topic

OK back to make a little sense...

Williams gone

Bert gone (probably)

Miller stays

Eaves stays

Nick comes back... please

And for the sake of mindfly Carey Price goes somewhere else to be overrated and flake out.

People want Cleary gone because he had a groin issue and didn't put up the #'s like last playoffs. There are quite

a few Cleary's out there I understand that...but the guy just works hard for us and I can't rightly ever say get rid of Dan Cleary

I originally posted a thread on how bad I want him gone a month or two ago. I can't stand him... sure he scored a few goals but 2.5million cap hit can get much more then what hes bringing, he's small, injury prone, and slowing down... I've been saying this all along. I can't remember the last time if ever he's played all games. Say what you want about Bertuzzi but he came in and did what we needed him to do. Hudlers a traitor and needs to be traded

Get rid of somehow:

Williams, Maltby, Meech, Lebda, Lilja, Draper, Kindl, Hudler, and possibly Rafalski (in my dreams)

Replace with young gritty forwards like Winchester, Ladd, etc.

Alot of people will hate on this but I didn't see any hunger in the SJ series... sure we were injured etc. but look at Montreal they WANT to win.

I originally posted a thread on how bad I want him gone a month or two ago. I can't stand him... sure he scored a few goals but 2.5million cap hit can get much more then what hes bringing, he's small, injury prone, and slowing down... I've been saying this all along. I can't remember the last time if ever he's played all games. Say what you want about Bertuzzi but he came in and did what we needed him to do. Hudlers a traitor and needs to be traded

Get rid of somehow:

Williams, Maltby, Meech, Lebda, Lilja, Draper, Kindl, Hudler, and possibly Rafalski (in my dreams)

Replace with young gritty forwards like Winchester, Ladd, etc.

Alot of people will hate on this but I didn't see any hunger in the SJ series... sure we were injured etc. but look at Montreal they WANT to win.

No hatin going on here.It's the truth.

Here is the final roster I'm going to post on here...at least until July 1. I think some of my decisions would intrigue many people, and while I believe we're a Cup Contender right now, I believe the moves I would make if I was Mr. Holland will make this team just that much better. This roster is based on the Salary Cap being set at $57,700,000. This is according to a report posted on cbc.ca. Gary Bettman has recently stated "the cap is expected to increase by $100-thousand or stay flat." On Tuesday, May 18, Ken Holland reported on WJR 760 he is budgeting the roster with a cap of $57-$57.5 Million. WJR also reported that the cap may increase from anywhere between $59-$61 Million. The actual Salary Cap for 2010-11 will not be released until after the conclusion of the 2010 Stanley Cup Playoffs, probably be released around mid-June.

5/D--------NICKLAS LIDSTROM---------AGE 40-----2YR, $10M CONTRACT---------$5,000,000 CAP HIT

8/LW------JUSTIN ABDELKADER--------AGE 23-----3YR, $3M CONTRACT----------$1,000,000 CAP HIT

11/RW----DAN CLEARY------------------AGE 31-----3YR, $9M CONTRACT----------$2,800,000 CAP HIT

13/C------PAVEL DATSYUK--------------AGE 32-----4YR, $26.8M CONTRACT------$6,700,000 CAP HIT

17/RW----PATRICK EAVES--------------AGE 26-----2YR, $1.1M CONTRACT----------$550,000 CAP HIT

20/LW----DREW MILLER----------------AGE 26-----2YR, $1.1M CONTRACT----------$550,000 CAP HIT

21/D------SHELDON BROOKBANK-----AGE 30-----2YR, $1.1M CONTRACT----------$550,000 CAP HIT

23/D------BRAD STUART-----------------AGE 30----2YR, $7.5M CONTRACT--------$3,750,000 CAP HIT

26/RW----JIRI HUDLER------------------AGE 26----2YR, $5.75M CONTRACT-------$2,875,000 CAP HIT

28/D------BRIAN RAFALSKI-------------AGE 37-----2YR, $12M CONTRACT---------$6,000,000 CAP HIT

30/G------CHRIS OSGOOD-------------AGE 37-----1YR, $1.1M CONTRACT--------$1,416,666 CAP HIT

32/RW----ARRON ASHAM---------------AGE 32-----2YR, $1.4M CONTRACT----------$700,000 CAP HIT

33/C------KRIS DRAPER-----------------AGE 39-----1YR, $1.25M CONTRACT------$1,583,333 CAP HIT

35/G------JIMMY HOWARD--------------AGE 26-----1YR, $800K CONTRACT---------$716,666 CAP HIT

40/C------HENRIK ZETTERBERG-------AGE 29-----11YR, $65.6M CONTRACT-----$6,083,333 CAP HIT

42/C------MATTIAS RITOLA-------------AGE 23-----3YR, $1.55M CONTRACT--------$516,667 CAP HIT

43/C------DARREN HELM----------------AGE 23-----5YR, $7.5M CONTRACT-------$1,500,000 CAP HIT

46/D------JAKUB KINDL-----------------AGE 23-----3YR, $2.65M CONTRACT--------$883,000 CAP HIT

51/C------VALTTERI FILPPULA---------AGE 26-----3YR, $10.5M CONTRACT------$3,000,000 CAP HIT

52/D------JONATHAN ERICSSON------AGE 26-----1YR, $1.25M CONTRACT--------$900,000 CAP HIT

55/D------NIKLAS KRONWALL---------AGE 29-----2YR, $7.25M CONTRACT------$3,000,000 CAP HIT

61/RW---MAXIM AFINOGENOV--------AGE 31-----1YR, $1.1M CONTRACT-------$1,100,000 CAP HIT

93/RW---JOHAN FRANZEN-------------AGE 30----10YR, $38M CONTRACT--------$3,954,545 CAP HIT

96/LW---TOMAS HOLMSTROM---------AGE 37----1YR, $1.5M CONTRACT--------$1,500,000 CAP HIT

2010-11 SALARY CAP-------$57,700,000

24 PLAYERS SIGNED FOR--$56,629,210

REMAINING CAP SPACE-----$1,070,790

PROJECTED LINES--

LINE 1: DATSYUK-FILPPULA-HUDLER

LINE 2: ZETTERBERG-FRANZEN-HOLMSTROM

LINE 3: HELM-AFINOGENOV-CLEARY

LINE 4: MILLER-ABDELKADER-ASHAM

EXTRA FORWARDS: DRAPER-EAVES-RITOLA

DEFENSIVE PAIRING 1: LIDSTROM-RAFALSKI

DEFENSIVE PAIRING 2: KRONWALL-STUART

DEFENSIVE PAIRING 3: ERICSSON-BROOKBANK

EXTRA DEFENSEMAN: KINDL

GOALIES

JIMMY HOWARD

CHRIS OSGOOD

With a roster of 24, there has to be a cut somewhere. NHL Rules state a roster can have a maximum of 23 players. With that being the case, I believe the Wings will gamble losing Mattias Ritola by sending him to Grand Rapids for one more season, or at least attempting to do so. The three-year deal he just signed includes a two-way contract during the first year of his contract, however, for him to be sent down to Grand Rapids, he must go through waivers.

Reasons for my moves:

1) Hudler is coming back next season. He averaged a point a game in the KHL last season. That will give Detroit at least 20 goals and hopefully 65-70 points that it lost last Summer. I think he will produce to expectations on a line with Datsyuk and Filppula. Datsyuk and Filppula worked very well in the playoffs and Hudler scored a career-high 57 points in 2008-09 on a line with Filppula.

2) Resign Holmstrom. This is such an easy move. Homer scored at least 20 goals in each of the past five seasons. Account for his screens of opposing goalies and Holmstrom has at least another ten goals per season. He's the best in the league at what he does. Re-up him, and I'm banking on him taking a small paycut for the better of the team and for a better chance at winning his fifth Cup.

3) Sign UFA Maxim Afinogenov. If this guy hits the open market come July 1, I'd love to see the Wings go after him. His last two seasons with Buffalo, he scored only 48 points in 104 games. But this past season, he went on a tear for 24 goals and 61 points, for a mere $800,000. There's no doubt he'll want an increase, but if he was willing to accept a $300,000 increase, would he come to a team with a chance at the Cup? It's worth a shot. His lightning speed on a line with Helm and Cleary in it of itself will result in unexpected offense. He turns 31 in September.

4) Sign UFA Arron Asham. Aaron Downey and Brad May rarely found themselves in the Winged Wheel. The Wings need a gritty forward who is strong on the puck while also not being afraid to play a physical game i.e. a Darren McCarty or Dallas Drake type. Arron Asham is that guy. He'll provide the team with 20-25 points, but he also stands up for teammates, drops the gloves often, and he crashes the net, which will account for at least an extra 5-10 goals during the season.

5) Sign UFA Sheldon Brookbank. Andreas, Andreas, Andreas. Thank you for helping the Wings to the Cup in 2008. They wouldn't have won without you. But since the concussion in 2009, Lilja is a liability. It's nothing against him, but he doesn't play the gritty physical game that he did in 2008. I believe this is solely due to the concussion he suffered. In any event, Brookbank can be had for close to $1 Million less than Lilja, and will provide what Lilja did in 2008. A third-pairing defenseman, Brookbank, who turns 30 in October, always thinks team first. He is willing to stand up for his teammates and plays solid defensively. In 66 games with the Ducks last season, Sheldon had nine points and finished a plus-10. He also can provide Jonathan Ericsson with leadership skills and can possibly teach Ericsson how to use his size effectively.

6) I set my extra forwards as Draper-Eaves-Ritola. This is depth, which is the number two most important thing to have to contend, the first being goaltending. These three can swap in with the lower six for a game to give a player some rest. The extra forwards will split time with Line 4 to keep each other healthy and well-rested. Depth is pivotal for teams to win the Stanley Cup.

Here is my final roster before Free Agency opens. What do you guys think?

Not the craziest roster I've seen. However, I just don't see Kenny swapping out Bertuzzi (think he'll be back) with a player like Afinogenov. I think he keeps Bertuzzi and loses one of either Eaves or Miller.

Afinogenov gets $3m plus, no less.

Asham gets $1.3m plus, no less.

Brookbank gets around $750k, give or take.

Ok roster, Brookbank would play less than 20 games and 0 in the playoffs though, and the enforcer role has proven itself pretty obsolete in the past few years. Seriously, of all the major cheap shots we've seen, all the big-name cheap players... when have they ever been "deterred" by a tough guy being on the other team's roster?

You need to have a Probert, Stevens, Clark, or someone like that who can play a lot of minutes effectively every night not a guy who sits the bench for 55 minutes. It's like giving a police officer SWAT armor and a knife, while the criminal has a .38. You might not be able to hurt him, but he can't really do anything to you either.

Afinogenov gets $3m plus, no less.

Asham gets $1.3m plus, no less.

Brookbank gets around $750k, give or take.

Ok roster, Brookbank would play less than 20 games and 0 in the playoffs though, and the enforcer role has proven itself pretty obsolete in the past few years. Seriously, of all the major cheap shots we've seen, all the big-name cheap players... when have they ever been "deterred" by a tough guy being on the other team's roster?

You need to have a Probert, Stevens, Clark, or someone like that who can play a lot of minutes effectively every night not a guy who sits the bench for 55 minutes. It's like giving a police officer SWAT armor and a knife, while the criminal has a .38. You might not be able to hurt him, but he can't really do anything to you either.

Yeah, cuz the flyers went no where in the playoffs with a bunch of enforcers. Oh, wait, they're still playing and our pansy butts are on the golf course.

Bertuzzi over Miller? :lol:

HUDLER ON THE TOP LINE?!?!?! :hysterical:

listen all you hudler slappies out there, he wasn't good enough to make his own Olympic team, he is not gonna help this team over the hump and he will not play above the third line........ You guys are really delusional!

you would keep Miller over Bertuzzi ?

Yeah, cuz the flyers went no where in the playoffs with a bunch of enforcers. Oh, wait, they're still playing and our pansy butts are on the golf course.

I wouldn't recommend you compare Eastern conf hockey with Western conf hockey.

Guest Lidstromboli

well at least now we know the glorious sheldon brookbank will lead us back to lord stanley

first of all, Holland has already expressed his desire to re sign Bertuzzi and Lilja...so that doesnt leave much room to bring in brookbank..

second of all, there is no way we get afinogenov for less than 2.5 and why would he want to sign and play on the 3rd line?

third of all, i dont think that Holland will be able to keep both eaves and miller with abdelkader and now ritola out of options and having to come up to the big club next season...he may be able to just keep one of them...

fourth of all, I dont care what anyone says but draper will be on the team next year to play out his final year of his contract and then, and only then, will he not be playing for the wings...

the team will look similar to this...

Franzen, Zetterberg, Bertuzzi

Filppula, Datsyuk, Hudler

Holmstrom, Helm, Cleary

Abdelkader, Draper, Eaves(Miller)

Ritola

Lidstrom, Rafalski

Stuart, Kronwall

Ericsson, Lilja

Kindl

im not sayin'...im just sayin'...

Howard

Osgood

I hate when people say why would he want to sign to play on the 3rd line ?....easy for the chance to WIN a cup, if you asked me and said you can be a number 1 line guy on the Leafs or Thrashers....or a 3rd line guy on the Wings, thats pretty easy to decide. It just shows you how dumb/greedy players are.

you would keep Miller over Bertuzzi ?

This season, Miller was just as important, if not more, as Bertuzzi was. While Bertuzzi was scoring 18 goals with all the top 2 line and powerplay minutes he was getting, he was also a -7. Miller was scoring 10 goals mostly on the 4th line, he was also a +2 AND one of the most important penalty killers come crunch time. To this team and salary-wise, Miller is more valuable to this team, and if it came down to it, yes I would keep Miller over Bertuzzi. Miller will probably re-sign for a modest increase if any, Bertuzzi, rememeber, was still getting paid from the Ducks contract that was bought out, so if he does want to stay here, he will probably be asking for more than the $1.5M that Holland was paying him, and that would be just too much of our cap space for 18 goals and 44 points. I know he says he wants to stay, and Holland likes him, so hopefully they work out a deal, maybe for the same $1.5M. Put it this way, Miller & Bertuzzi at $2M is better than Bertuzzi at $2M plus and no Miller, if that the case MIller at $6,000,000 is better than Bertuzzi at plus $2M...

I hate it when people say...

"I hate when people say why would he want to sign to play on the 3rd line ?....easy for the chance to WIN a cup, if you asked me and said you can be a number 1 line guy on the Leafs or Thrasher..or a 3rd line guy on the Wings, thats pretty easy to decide. It just shows you how dumb/greedy players are"

come on now...

Just because he wont sign to play on the wings 3rd line, doesn't automatically mean he will be playing for the leafs or thrashers man...there are other good teams out there that he could fit on one of the top 2 lines such as Los Angeles, Colorado, Vancouver and Anaheim...to name a few...

just think about what you are going to say first...

free agent wise i would love for frolov to be a wing. he has good outside speed and knows how to use his body. he has a friendship with pavel so hopefully they would click and just make our top two lines even deadlier.and then make our top three lines scoring lines.

Holmstrom - Datsyuk - (Frolov)

Franzen - Zetterberg - Bertuzzi

Cleary - Filppula - Hudler

Eaves - Helm - Ritola

Draper - Miller?