• Please log in to reply
267 replies to this topic

#141 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:18 PM

Price is Raycroft. The guy is crap, and is GONE from Montreal. He'll probably end up be a backup goalie for somewhere like Anaheim and never be heard from again.

#142 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:19 PM

Wait... and the wings defense this year was good? Howard was left out to dry on more than one night since he started.

I'm not saying I would want to make that trade but there is no question Price is better then Howard.

Montreal's Defense over the years has made ours look like we have god in our line up. Seriously their shut down guy was like Boullion, Montreal has no defense.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#143 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:24 PM

I'm flabbergasted at the people who basically want the same exact team going into next year that just flubbed out of the playoffs.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#144 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:25 PM

Meanwhile Halak is looking like a god? He's been the backup and never showed he was better than Price. The defence is the same from game 3 and game 4 from round one, but Price got killed, Halak didn't.

#145 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:27 PM

Meanwhile Halak is looking like a god? He's been the backup and never showed he was better than Price. The defence is the same from game 3 and game 4 from round one, but Price got killed, Halak didn't.

Price had better stats then Halak this yeahr but the Habs fans are against him. Its obviously in his head. Theyre gonna run him outta town just like they did to Roy because Habs fans are dumb.

A young kid like that can't help but let it get to him when they boo him like that.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#146 Red Storm

Red Storm

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:52 PM

Price is Raycroft. The guy is crap, and is GONE from Montreal. He'll probably end up be a backup goalie for somewhere like Anaheim and never be heard from again.

Sorry guy your way off on this one. Halak is king in Montreal because he is providing stellar goaltending and is much more suited to the vibe in Montreal. Meaning he is oblivious to the fanatical french and to a lesser exstent english media where hockey is their religion and they scrutinize on everything you do on ice and off. Carey Price has had some issues with that in the past , and is a little better now. However the Habs as a whole have never given him much support all year. Even if he has a good outing they falter on him ;no goal scoring behind him. Look at his stats. Anyhow I said it two years ago that he would not last in Montreal; its the hardest place to play as a goaltender in the league . Howard or Osgood wouldn't last their a season , the moment you let in softies their calling for your head. Believe me Price is still a very capable goaltender , he just needs the right fit and Detroit would be it imho.

#147 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:00 PM

Like many other fans on here I also am worried about scoring coming from the bottom six.

But I'm curious about the style of play in regards to Eaves and Miller. Both of those guys do have intriguing offensive potential. However, I wonder if this year they weren't able to use it as much because they were new guys that had to make an immediate impact in a certain way. I think the coaches asked them to not do too much and just play a simple, defensive style.

Would a summer and training camp within the puck possession system help them to know how to better use their offensive capabilities? Is it highly possible that with more learning and experience with the system that next year they'll be able to hang on to the puck and make good plays with it in the offensive zone?

Those two definitely have more offense in them than they showed this year, especially in the playoffs. I think it's quite possible that they're capable of scoring clutch, backbreaking goals when the Wings need them.

#148 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:06 PM

Like many other fans on here I also am worried about scoring coming from the bottom six.

But I'm curious about the style of play in regards to Eaves and Miller. Both of those guys do have intriguing offensive potential. However, I wonder if this year they weren't able to use it as much because they were new guys that had to make an immediate impact in a certain way. I think the coaches asked them to not do too much and just play a simple, defensive style.

Would a summer and training camp within the puck possession system help them to know how to better use their offensive capabilities? Is it highly possible that with more learning and experience with the system that next year they'll be able to hang on to the puck and make good plays with it in the offensive zone?

Those two definitely have more offense in them than they showed this year, especially in the playoffs. I think it's quite possible that they're capable of scoring clutch, backbreaking goals when the Wings need them.

I would say this about Eaves. He isn't far removed from a 20 goal season. Miller however has gotta go. He's not a physical guy, an offensive guy and is average defensively for a bottom 6 guy. There has to be upgrades frm him that provide something special. Whether its blistering speed, shut down defense, a huge hitter or a fighter. Theres just gotta be better options out there.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#149 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:39 PM

IMO detroit can only keep one of Miller/Eaves.. perhaps neither.. IF they are going to be on the team it must be on a 4th line, because they aren't third line players.. Draper has a year left so I take it he will stay on the team as a 4th line, then they have 2 spots for Helm, Miller, Eaves, Abdelakader....they can't keep em all... wings must get a third line that can SCORE and be EFFECTIVE.. not just go out there to try and kill time and dump it and then go change...

Players like that don't come cheap. How do you propose building a scoring, effective 3rd line without sacrificing the potency of the top two lines? We tried 3 deep scoring this year, and that meant Bert, Willy, and Leino.

Helm, Miller, and Eaves all had 10+ goals. Abby could likely do the same. Ritola might be able to. Draper could pitch in a few. With those guys we could expect around 40-50 goals. That is not bad at all for a bottom 6. We also get solid defense, great speed, and 100% effort. They may not have been great in the playoffs, but we got like 3-5 goals from our 3rd and 4th lines, that's nothing to complain about.

Our top 6 was great in the playoffs. Pav and Hank played like superstars. Flip was great against Phoenix, and still solid against SJ. Bert and Mule weren't much against Phoenix, but improved against SJ. Homer played his role very well. Couldn't ask for much more in terms of their playoff performance.

But if you look at the regular season, it's a different story. Obviously the injuries were a big part of it, but I think we need something in the top 6. Another true goal scorer, and probably better speed. And being the Wings, someone who can play puck possession and is defensively responsible. Pav, Hank, and Franzen are the only sure things.

So that leaves 3 top 6 and 1 depth spot to fill. Options include Filppula, Cleary, and Hudler who are already signed and Homer, Maltby, Bert and Willy who are UFA.

Maltby doesn't bring anything even to the bottom 6, so he should be gone unless maybe we have a little space left over for a 14th forward. Willy isn't good enough for the top 6, and not the right fit for the bottom, so he's gone. I don't think any combination of the other 5 gives us a great top 6, and they're too expensive to keep for the third without weakening the top lines.

Cleary has his NTC, so he isn't going anywhere. He could fit in pretty much anywhere. Put him on the third line and he makes the bottom 6 pretty strong IMO. He could also step into a top 6 spot if someone was injured.

Homer and Bert are both in their late 30s, slow, and have had numerous injury problems in recent years. Do we really want both in the top 6? Or would either fit on a 3rd line? IMO, no. I think we can only keep one of them, and I'd much prefer Homer.

Flip and Happy would be ok for the final two spots, but I would rather see one of them traded. Happy is a quality goal scorer, but his speed, defense, and stregth on the boards isn't that great. Flip has the rest, but he's not much of a scorer. One would be fine, but both I think leaves us a bit weak.

The problem is that there are very few really good scorers available as FAs (and we may not be able to afford them), and our tradable assets are pretty limited. So Filppula and Hudler might just be the best we can do. Especially considering that we may have a lot of work to do on the defense, and I don't think Jimmy is quite proven yet (no sophomore slump, please...please!).

#150 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 06:11 PM

Does Bert realize he has two hands? :P

For real lol if he had two hands on that thing he could do some serious s***!

ps~ Obviously Jwilly is gone and I love Eaves and Miller as well, but Bert has really worked on his game, and as far as him being slow, thats bulls***.

So I say Lids retires, Miller, Eaves, and Bert all sign for similar deals. The rest is up to Kenny! and in kenny we trust :thumbup:

Edited by 13dangledangle, 09 May 2010 - 06:31 PM.

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#151 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 06:16 PM

For those who wants to trade Zetterberg for Plekanec and Price - it's simple YOU ARE STUPID...

Plekanec great set-up player... This is his season so far and he was playing with Cammalleri... Plekanec is gone (he will ask for $4.5M @ 5M)

Price - outplayed BIG TIME in Montreal by Halak - he's loved by "boy-lovers" so please stop this crap...

BTW - Plekanec is invisible so far in playoffs... it's just stupid...
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#152 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 06:51 PM

Plekanec & Price for Zetterberg?Some of you make me ashamed of the fact we like the same team.Seriously.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#153 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 06:59 PM

Eaves should stay - he's right hand forward something that we are missing here BIG TIME...
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#154 Red Storm

Red Storm

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 10:57 PM

Plekanec & Price for Zetterberg?Some of you make me ashamed of the fact we like the same team.Seriously.

Your a snarky fellow aren't you with your snide comments. Maybe you resort to that to make up for your lack of hockey knowledge. So far that's all I've seen from you
.Try to bring the level of debate to higher standard your posturing is not helping.

#155 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,525 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:17 PM

Is it that he has to go, or is it were getting soft in the back end. I think its the latter. Someone on the board said Rafalski's got to go; I agree he may add offense at times , but his defensive skills are really starting to lag which was evident in this series. I would not give up on Ericson just yet ,give him another year defensemen take longer to develop. Lila is another defenseman we could do with out he not mobile enough for the speed that now dominates this league; the young Avs. are proof of that ; we need more youth on defense . Another factor up front is with our centers we really got dominated in the faceoff circle that really hurt us against the Sharks. I would like to see more size up front, however big centers are a highly sought after commodity in the league. There is definitely trading material in terms of our forwards: Flip was a real let down in this series; Cleary didn't do much lacked fire; Homer I think its time like Draper and Maltby to go. And Zetterberg was really lack lustre and ineffective in this series. If Montreal were willing to part with Price and throw in Plekanec I would part with Hanks longterm contract.

Agree with ya concerning McCrimmon; way too many here blaming him for the dumb mistakes of our Dmen.

Dunno if we'll ever see Dats, or Hank moved; if so I'd rather keep Dats over Hank, and see Hank traded for someone like Getzlaf since he has what we need.

As for Plekanec he's having a great year just in time to become a UFA; dunno if he'll be able to repeat once he gets his pay day...I'd rather stick with Howard/Osgood tandem next year than try to obtain a netminder from another team, and I def would put Filppula on the block if there was potential to get someone of good quality in return...Cleary will be around until his contract expires; he's a solid player, but this year was hampered by injuries, and he never looked like he was 100%.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#156 Paul MacLean's Mustache

Paul MacLean's Mustache

Rookie

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:16 AM

what are you smoking? price has NOTHING on HOWARD....

:thumbup:

The sheer fact that I read on here that Jimmy Howard had "nothing" on Carey Price brought the lulz right out of me.

Edited by Paul MacLean's Mustache, 10 May 2010 - 01:16 AM.

#157 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:38 AM

I really like Eaves so I hope he comes back. Miller would be good too, assuming the price is similar to what he earnt this year. Same goes for Lilja, he has been really solid and I'd take him every day over Lebda.

Williams is a goner, that's a no brainer. Bert is an interesting one. I don't want him back. Atleast not in the same role. I think I would like him a lot more if he weren't supposed to be one of our "top 6" forwards.

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!

#158 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:19 AM

Filppula-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Franzen-Zetterberg-Hudler
Cleary-Helm-Eaves
Draper-Abdelkader-Miller
Ritola

Lidstrom-Rafalski
Kronwall-Stuart
Ericsson-Lilja
Kindl

Howard-Osgood

This is the roster I expect for next season. With a month more of rest I expect next season to be great for the Red Wings.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#159 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:23 AM

I'm flabbergasted at the people who basically want the same exact team going into next year that just flubbed out of the playoffs.

I think you make building a stanley cup winning team sound too easy.
Not much is going to change, we can't really afford it. It's just going to be little things.
Unless Lids decides to retire.

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!

#160 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:26 AM

Bert and Willie out, Miller in.
Bert is as slow as Lilja is. His powerdribbling gave nothing, in 99% it ended with a turnover.
I'd like to get out from Holmstrom too. This guy is valuable only in one spot, at the net, and that value can give something only in PP. Would like to see Frolov in team. Hope that Kindl can step up.

homer is not going anywheres intill he can no longer stand up on his skates...unless ryan smyth is coming to detroit to stand infront of the puck for us.