• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RedWingAbner

We got more out of you thread.....

Rate this topic

There are several players on the team this year that did more than I expected they would.

Helm, for one, showed that his ability to rag the puck is spectacular--not just something that was a one-off

Eaves did a great job in his role. It was unfortunate he was out for the last few games.

Miller was an awesome pickup and cheap. I'd like him to be back, if he can be signed for $600K or so

Osgood did impress me with his ability to put his pride on the shelf. Not much with his play.

Did anyone think that Justin Abdelkader would provide the spark that he did? I knew he was a good role guy, but he impressed

I think that overall, the Wings have a decent core of depth guys.

Supposing that we can retain the above, I think that we have only to fill in some secondary scoring roles.

Any mention of this topic would be remiss without mentioning Nick Lidstrom. Odd as it sounds, he did step it up in the playoffs.

For me, there were just several guys that I had pegged one way that did much more.

Anyone that comes to mind for anyone else? Jimmy Howard would be another guy. I know I'm rambling a bit.

Goodnight all! Hope that this is not seen as an offensive thread. Good season Wings.

Guest mjtm77

I like Miller and Helm One of them needs to go we need size

Edit- Ops Iam tired ment Eaves not helm

Edited by mjtm77

Howard and Miller.

I love Helm but I had high expectations for him and satisfied them this season. What a gooder!

Edit: Holmstrom! Did not expect 25 goals out of him.

Edited by zettie85

I agree with all of those...liked the Helm-Eaves-Miller line a lot; when everybody was out in the regular season, it seemed like they kept things from falling apart completely. Kader was great during the playoffs - I hope he gets full time next year for sure. It was great to see a Cinderella story like that happen. And I love Howard. I know there was a time or two when I doubted him, but overall, I think he's put on a good show, and maybe I'm getting a little fangirly here, but I just plain like the guy. I like his calm under pressure, I like his regular-guy attitude, and I love his "extra" glove skills (not so sure Crosby does, though). Heck, I might just have to get a jersey. Anyway, those would be my picks, too.

Any thoughts on Stuart? I feel like he did well in the playoffs, but I have a nagging feeling that I'm having selective memory here. Please tell me if I'm right or wrong.

Definitely Howard. I was so, so, SO wrong about him!

I'm really happy with this young group of grinders, too. Eaves, Helm, and Miller proved to be something exciting. They all had strong seasons. Abdelkader is a total energy guy, and I really hope we see him full time next year.

And... Bertuzzi. I was expecting him to be kind of useless like he was in his first go-round with Detroit, but there were more than a few games through December and January where he provided pretty much all the offense. Since they were struggling so hard to just stay in the playoff picture at that point, he was a big part of the reason they were able to climb back in after the injured guys started to recover. No, he's not what he was in his prime, but he filled an important role and I give him a lot of credit for being able to swallow his pride enough to learn how to play a crash the net, Holmstrom-esque game instead of trying desperately to be the sniper he was ten years ago.

Any thoughts on Stuart? I feel like he did well in the playoffs, but I have a nagging feeling that I'm having selective memory here. Please tell me if I'm right or wrong.

I think that in general you are right. Stuart does a tonne of great things out there for us, and is a hell of a workhorse (as was illustrated when half of our NHL roster was out with injuries). Throughout the playoffs he proved that he is a great stay at home D-man who can pitch in a bit of offense here and there. In all, he was probably our 2nd best defenseman behind Lids in the playoffs.

Unfortunately, Stuart does also have the tendency to make his mistakes at the worst times possible. Game 6 against Phoenix was a great example of this (or game 7 against Pit last year). Those moments tend to lower his value a fair bit.

Nonetheless, I think that in these playoffs (and the whole season) Stuart proved that he is an integral part of this team and will continue to be for years into the future.

Edited by DirtyD

I think that in general you are right. Stuart does a tonne of great things out there for us, and is a hell of a workhorse (as was illustrated when half of our NHL roster was out with injuries). Throughout the playoffs he proved that he is a great stay at home D-man who can pitch in a bit of offense here and there. In all, he was probably our 2nd best defenseman behind Lids in the playoffs.

Unfortunately, Stuart does also have the tendency to make his mistakes at the worst times possible. Game 6 against Phoenix was a great example of this (or game 7 against Pit last year). Those moments tend to lower his value a fair bit.

Nonetheless, I think that in these playoffs (and the whole season) Stuart proved that he is an integral part of this team and will continue to be for years into the future.

Ah, I knew I was forgetting something. Well, hmm. Maybe we didn't exactly get more out of him than we expected, in that case, but at least I was remembering the good parts for a reason.

Oh - I guess this would be a good place to congratulate Franzen and Zetterberg for their playoff hat tricks. Those definitely made my day when they happened. I actually went and got curly fries at Arby's after Zet's trick to celebrate, even though they weren't free.

The only reason the Wings made the playoffs was because a ton of guys stepped up and did more than they were expected of during the period of all those injuries. The low-expectation guys stepped up and kept the team in the hunt until everyone got back. Overall, a good season!

Without Patrick Eaves and Drew Miller, we would have never even sniffed at the playoffs. They were invaluable, and I wish we could keep them both. I'd give up Jason Williams to keep them both. No offense, Jason, but I like Pat and Drew better.

Guest mindfly

Without Patrick Eaves and Drew Miller, we would have never even sniffed at the playoffs. They were invaluable, and I wish we could keep them both. I'd give up Jason Williams to keep them both. No offense, Jason, but I like Pat and Drew better.

They can't keep both.. Helm, Abdelkader, Draper, Eaves, Miller are all at best 4th liners...only 3 of them should play on a 4th line, get rid of 3. None of them proved this season to have any scoring touch, and that's essential for a 3rd liner (combined with Grit, forecheck and size)

Edited by mindfly

They can't keep both.. Helm, Abdelkader, Draper, Eaves, Miller are all at best 4th liners...only 3 of them should play on a 4th line, get rid of 3. None of them proved this season to have any scoring touch, and that's essential for a 3rd liner (combined with Grit, forecheck and size)

Eaves and Miller have some scoring ability, and that makes an awesome 3rd line with Helm's speed.

Guest mindfly

Eaves and Miller have some scoring ability, and that makes an awesome 3rd line with Helm's speed.

Maybe if you're talking about Toronto maple leafs, but if the team aim to win the cup they gonna have to tweak better lines than that.

Eaves, Miller, and Howard showed up this year. I felt Bertuzzi also showed periods of decent hockey.

With the exception of Draper, I think the team should part ways with Williams, Lebda, Maltby, and Meech.

I am on the fence about Ericsson and Osgood.

Edited by miller76

Eaves, Miller, and Howard showed up this year. I felt Bertuzzi also showed periods of decent hockey.

With the exception of Draper, I think the team should part ways with Williams, Lebda, Maltby, and Meech.

Ericcson deserves another year here at least, ya Williams needs to go, Lebda is alright for a call up.

I hope Osgood stays and accepts the role of a backup better then he did this year, and maybe he has one more run at the cup in his tank. :cool:

Ericcson deserves another year here at least, ya Williams needs to go, Lebda is alright for a call up.

I hope Osgood stays and accepts the role of a backup better then he did this year, and maybe he has one more run at the cup in his tank. :cool:

I really wanted to see Ericsson just be a force out there with the big body. But more often then not, he seems to be a lumbering lost child out there. I would love to see him turn into something special, but he is taking his sweet ass time.

So who do you suggest for a third line that brings scoring touch, grit, size, and forchecking at a price that doesn't result in a 2nd line that is probably worse than your hypothetical 3rd line?

I think keeping Ozzie as the backup will be a big part of keeping Howard from going down the Steve Mason road of fail. Mason had no one to turn to when things got rough. If Howard has Ozzie as a mentor for another year, a lot of unpleasantness could be avoided.

I think keeping Ozzie as the backup will be a big part of keeping Howard from going down the Steve Mason road of fail. Mason had no one to turn to when things got rough. If Howard has Ozzie as a mentor for another year, a lot of unpleasantness could be avoided.

Agreed again. I want Howard to play, but I want Osgood to be ready just for the psychological comfort of it. Plus, like you said, Ozzie's a good mentor for him and he can offer even more guidance when we get to the Cup Finals in 2011 (that's right, you heard me!).

Ericsson...I wouldn't cry if they let him go, but if the guys in charge want to give him another chance, I'll bear with him for another year.