• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DirtyD

Let's Talk About the Refereeing

Rate this topic

I wouldn't. Because it's not part of the game.

Helmets are part of the game. Stick tape. Goalies. Faceoffs. Bodychecks. Coaches. Skates. Scores. Fans. Somewhere in that list, I don't think anyone intended, or intends to, make poor officiating part of the game. Because it's not. If enough people raise their voices, someone will listen. It just takes the proper quantity. But in this defeatist attitude, all we're doing is not questioning authority. And that's, in any shape or form in life, not only foolish but dangerous.

Here's where we differ: you think the refs are either biased against the Wings or idiots, and all that needs to be done to remove bad or missed calls is to replace the refs. I disagree. I think the basic reality is that reffing a hockey game is hard, and it's inevitable that a portion of calls or going to be missed. Sometimes it will be a lot, sometimes it will be a few, but there will always be some. Just as there will be weird bounces and deflections.

Sometimes bad things happen. It's an imperfect world. That doesn't mean there is a plot against your team.

Saying "mistakes happen" shouldn't bring teams out of the woodwork for payback for calls being made. These people are professionals. They probably remember when they were kids being reffed and refs making mistakes back then. I think everyone knows that refs make mistakes and miss calls. To say that outloud wouldn't be a travesty. To hear Bettman say that their refs are infallible really makes me sick. Ok, I know that your refs are good, but I wouldn't go the extra mile to say they don't make mistakes.

Maybe. While these guys are indeed professionals, they're professionals in a multi-million dollar business who get rewarded based on winning. And if some team (Anaheim, the Leafs, the Habs, Dallas, Nashville) was told, "Yeah, we missed that call, and as far as you're concerned it ended your season, but we're not going to do anything about it because mistakes happen," I don't think that would make many people fans. Even if it is true. I like the standard that the rules exist as called on the ice, and while some things may be reviewed based on the fallibility of the refs, their limitations are an acknowledged and accepted influence on the outcome of the game.

While you think everyone may "know that refs make mistakes and miss calls," this thread suggests otherwise. Some fans really don't like that standard.

But I do agree that the "our refs are infallible" stance is ridiculous. I don't pay much attention to Campbell or Bettman, but if that's what they're saying it's clearly stupid.

Guest zackmorris

Here's where we differ: you think the refs are either biased against the Wings or idiots, and all that needs to be done to remove bad or missed calls is to replace the refs. I disagree. I think the basic reality is that reffing a hockey game is hard, and it's inevitable that a portion of calls or going to be missed. Sometimes it will be a lot, sometimes it will be a few, but there will always be some. Just as there will be weird bounces and deflections.

Sometimes bad things happen. It's an imperfect world. That doesn't mean there is a plot against your team.

Learn to read, this isn't what I said. I didn't say replace the officials, I suggested a few ways the game could be called more efficiently. Are the Wings on a poster in a board room with men in suits thinking up ways to screw us? No, but you have to wonder why a referee can openly hate our city and be awarded a Detroit playoff series, along with all the other bulls*** over the years. Like I said, business-wise it makes sense to help out SJ and Pitt, which they did. It's clearly pissing people off but the league won't even acknowledge it. That's not random. Looser games make it easier to sway one way.

When you stop putting words in my mouth, then I'll be a little more polite.

Edited by zackmorris

I ought to get better skating lessons and apply to be a ref as a 2nd job. Because I couldn't be worse than the NHL brass in general. It didn't fully cost the Wings this game today obviously but another example of idiot rules and officiating with the intent to blow rule, etc.

Reffing didn't lose us this game, poor play did. if you honestly think the refs lost the game for us, then I don't know what to tell you...

Definitely didn't, but it played a bigger hand than is necessary in the stupid Intent to Blow the Whistle rule, which needs to burn a fiery death. All I ask of officials is to try to be as consistent as possible, and to get calls right if they go to review or need video evidence. If you're going to call 15 penalties a game, cool. Do it fairly for both teams. If you are just going to call 3, don't call anything dinky and let them play. It's a combination of bad officiating as well as stupid rules.

Reffing didn't lose us this game, poor play did. if you honestly think the refs lost the game for us, then I don't know what to tell you...

I know. I'm not blaming the officiating for a Wings loss like I did when I was 11.

The NHL officiating is a joke, period. Another perfect example is Los Angeles getting boned on the obvious high-sticking goal. The bad part is that they aren't held accountable for their actions, and anyone who questions them is punished.

Definitely didn't, but it played a bigger hand than is necessary in the stupid Intent to Blow the Whistle rule, which needs to burn a fiery death. All I ask of officials is to try to be as consistent as possible, and to get calls right if they go to review or need video evidence. If you're going to call 15 penalties a game, cool. Do it fairly for both teams. If you are just going to call 3, don't call anything dinky and let them play. It's a combination of bad officiating as well as stupid rules.

As a fan of the game..I HATE that rule....

As a referee...I HATE the wording and interpretation of that rule!

As Irony would have it I had to blow a play dead because I lost sight of the puck in a scrum in front of the net,

in the time it took me to raise my hand to blow the whistle the puck went in..By rule the play was dead and I had to call the

goal back and drop the puck...After the game I was told by the coach it would of been that kids 1st goal...

It was only MY 1st game as a Ref.

If that rule was explained to the fans better.. I think it would be better understood.

Its not "Intent to blow the whistle" it is "Puck is out of sight and the play MUST be blown dead....NO EXCEPTIONS!"

Day one ...Refs are told...When you lose sight of the puck for ANY reason... Blow the Whistle!

Guest scottj

I'm sorry, can you pick out one post here that blames the refs for this loss?

How come every time something about the refs is brought up, there's always somebody that has to say something to this effect even though that's not what people were getting at? Do refs need to actually cost us a game before we can bring up what jokes they are?

As a fan of the game..I HATE that rule....

As a referee...I HATE the wording and interpretation of that rule!

As Irony would have it I had to blow a play dead because I lost sight of the puck in a scrum in front of the net,

in the time it took me to raise my hand to blow the whistle the puck went in..By rule the play was dead and I had to call the

goal back and drop the puck...After the game I was told by the coach it would of been that kids 1st goal...

It was only MY 1st game as a Ref.

If that rule was explained to the fans better.. I think it would be better understood.

Its not "Intent to blow the whistle" it is "Puck is out of sight and the play MUST be blown dead....NO EXCEPTIONS!"

Day one ...Refs are told...When you lose sight of the puck for ANY reason... Blow the Whistle!

Bingo, you put it perfectly in bold.

Just as aggravating as that can be, more often than not I don't get all that irked with this because it is a fast game and you have to make calls in the heat of the moment, just like I had to do as an official in football and soccer in the past.

As irked as I was at the time in the 2009 playoffs when that Hossa goal was called off late in the game that would've forced overtime in Anaheim I believe, I understand losing sight of the puck. I think in the final game of last season's playoffs when we blew out Phoenix to advance, I think Bertuzzi had a goal waved off due to a fast whistle and losing sight with the puck. It sucks, but there is no grey area when it comes to that. "I lost sight of the puck, I can't find it, I'm blowing the whistle". There is no room to question the official on if he meant to do something else or whatever. It's just a matter of how long he waits to blow the play dead, but that's just impossible to determine or set a rule on.

Intent to blow the whistle is so stupid. Well, I intend to work out. I intend to go to work on Monday. Doesn't mean all the above will happen. I might run into traffic. I might get sick tonight or have car trouble tomorrow forcing me not to go. That means I DIDN'T go to work or whatever. If they go by this, it should be if the puck crossed the line before the whistle is blown, it's a goal. If it didn't, then it's not. NO QUESTIONS ASKED. The way this rule is now, it is impossible for an official to not look like an idiot and there is too much grey area involved.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

I'm sorry, can you pick out one post here that blames the refs for this loss?

How come every time something about the refs is brought up, there's always somebody that has to say something to this effect even though that's not what people were getting at? Do refs need to actually cost us a game before we can bring up what jokes they are?

I can go through the GDT and the I hate the Hawks thread and find a dozen instances of it. Plus, most of them were deleted by the mods as well in the GDT.

Guest scottj

can you please? can you find me some posts that actually blame the loss on the refs?

just an fyi: saying that we lost cause of the refs =/= saying that the refs are morons

go in the gdt and hawks thread n post it in there... cause nobody here blamed the refs

I don't have the need or want to, otherwise I would. You can go through it find a few, and like I said, a lot of the posts were deleted by the mods. Feel free to PM them and they'll tell you they did.

And I never once claimed that "we lost cause of the refs = saying that the refs are morons", because I do agree that refs are morons.

Guest scottj

lol jesus christ... this is just getting embarrassing now. It seems like the people in the war room are getting just as drunk as the regular hockey fan.

If anybody wants to skip through the video it happens at ~ the 2:30 mark

lol jesus christ... this is just getting embarrassing now. It seems like the people in the war room are getting just as drunk as the regular hockey fan.

If anybody wants to skip through the video it happens at ~ the 2:30 mark

...But are they are drunk as Murph? :o