• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DirtyD

Let's Talk About the Refereeing

Rate this topic

I liked how the Yotes were freely allowed to enter the zone off-side in the last 5 minutes 2 or 3 times. Funny how the linesman can make the right call for 55 minutes but utterly blow it in the last 5. Weird.

NHL officiating overall: Epic fail.

While sadly we've seen worse I think than this game, those "interference" calls on Flipper and Helm immediately off the face-off were absolutely pathetic.

NHLN just showed the "boarding" call on Helm...wow.

I think the interference on Flip, like the Franzen cross-check and Bert slash, was iffy. Chincy stuff that didn't need to be called, but I don't have huge problem with the calls themselves.

The boarding was ridiculous. No different than half the other hits in the game. Then the interference on Helm...was as much an arm drag by the Phoenix player. Calling it that way when the Wings were already short-handed just reeks of "we need to help even the score".

I think the interference on Flip, like the Franzen cross-check and Bert slash, was iffy. Chincy stuff that didn't need to be called, but I don't have huge problem with the calls themselves.

The boarding was ridiculous. No different than half the other hits in the game. Then the interference on Helm...was as much an arm drag by the Phoenix player. Calling it that way when the Wings were already short-handed just reeks of "we need to help even the score".

I'll have to watch a replay later on what you are referring on Helm because my mind is drawing a blank on that one. As much as Shane Doan can be reckless and we hate him, when he hit Franzen that wasn't a penalty, unfortuantely Franzen was just in an awkward position, so I am assuming the Helm hit you speak of is much lighter than that.

The Franzen cross checking is ticky-tacky, but if you keep doing something over and over again, the refs are going to eventually get it (like retalitory stuff). One of the penalties where Homer was cross checked 2 or 3 times, the first time they'll let go, the second time was more obvious. So I can (hestitantly) live with the refs there.

The interference off the face offs just drive me nuts. Let them play for crying out loud.

And despite all this, the Detroit haters all around the League have the nerve to continue to cry that the officials love Detroit.

This is SOOOO TRUE!! Check out the "ref you suck" fan page on FB!

NHL officiating overall: Epic fail.

While sadly we've seen worse I think than this game, those "interference" calls on Flipper and Helm immediately off the face-off were absolutely pathetic.

Don't forget the boarding call on Helm when he hit Jovopussy. If that was boarding and 2 mins, then the hit on Mule should have been 5 and a game!!

Don't forget the boarding call on Helm when he hit Jovopussy. If that was boarding and 2 mins, then the hit on Mule should have been 5 and a game!!

You might want to watch the replay again. Franzen already lost his balance. Doan barely touched him. I was watching the game with a few other hockey fans and even they were ok with the non call, and yes, they were Detroit fans as well.

As for the other calls in the 3rd period, I am going to have a look at the game in its entirety today. I had to leave at the start of the 3rd period because of a hockey tournament I was playing in. :)

This is SOOOO TRUE!! Check out the "ref you suck" fan page on FB!

Just saw replays of this on NHL Network. Maybe I was drawing a blank on it because it barely looked noticable or out of the ordiary than any other hit we'd probably expect!

Consistently inconsistent as usual.

I wish I could read one GDT without hearing about referees. Teams think the game is rigged for us, we think its rigged against us. Phoenix ******* about the early penalties, we ***** about the late penalties. I mean, ya it can be frustratingly inconsistent at times, but if we were all neutral observers, I doubt we'd have trouble with every penalty that was called in game 2. The only one I have some trouble with is the Filppula interference call off the draw.

And if they are trying to make games "close"...then why isn't it happening in every series. I've watched most of the playoff games, and it just isn't happening.

Its always easy to make the "right" call after you've seen a slow motion replay 5 times. Why is it that the human population is sooo prone to believing in conspiracy theories? People make mistakes, sometimes egregious mistakes, trying to come up with outlandish theories to explain just seems like a lot work. Occam's razor etc.

What I hate and ive seen this is a couple series already. Is the tacky calls to go on the 5 on 3. You use to have to either high stick someone or hook them real good to get a 5 on 3, and well both Helm calls were really weak to me. I saw it coming when the wings go up 4 with 18 mins left in the 2nd you always know whats coming.

What I hate and ive seen this is a couple series already. Is the tacky calls to go on the 5 on 3. You use to have to either high stick someone or hook them real good to get a 5 on 3, and well both Helm calls were really weak to me. I saw it coming when the wings go up 4 with 18 mins left in the 2nd you always know whats coming.

Ya but its happening in all the series against a wide variety of teams. There probably is a mandate to continue to call the game with the same scrutiny even when a team is down a player. This differs from years ago when the second penalty took a lot more to get called.

So in reality, its a mandate for more consistency, which should please many folks.

You might want to watch the replay again. Franzen already lost his balance. Doan barely touched him. I was watching the game with a few other hockey fans and even they were ok with the non call, and yes, they were Detroit fans as well.

As for the other calls in the 3rd period, I am going to have a look at the game in its entirety today. I had to leave at the start of the 3rd period because of a hockey tournament I was playing in. :)

YOU may want to watch the replay again. I just saw it on the NHL replay of the game that`s going on now on NHL Network and if you watch closely, first Belanger`s stick hits Franzen in the face, then Doan pushes him into the boards face first for a 1-2 punch. Watch the change of direction of Franzen from being pushed by Doan. I`d be pissed too.

Edited by Tman77