• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
pjgj13

San Jose to Finals?

Rate this topic

Am I the only one who's still rooting for the Canadiens? I know they're down 3-2, but there's nothing I'd rather see this year than Mike Cammalleri with the Conn Smythe trophy at the end. Maybe he'd bring it back to Ann Arbor =p

Keep the faith! Here's to a SJ/Boston SCF.

I cannot, and will not root for Pittsburgh, Chicago or Montreal, and am not a fan of Boston, Philadelphia or Vancouver. The odds, mathetmatically, are not looking good this year.

Damn you, Matt. I'm spoiled, there's NOTHING out there. There are no other forums, LGW is the forum. I feel more at home here even than in LGS. Almost makes me want to start a site/forum and pattern it after my unwitting mentor here at LGW, a place where good, knowledgeable hockey fans can feel welcomed, and have a home away from home, the same way I feel here.

f***! Just the fact that I can say f*** here is part of what separates the men from the boys in that regard, but a very small part. There's more to it than that.

The absolute unbridled and irrational hatred that so many Hawks fans have for the Wings looks like nothing more than pure Cup envy to me; like simply having an Original Six team makes them entitled to as many past victories. I don't have a lot of respect for grave dancers, but that's how a lot of them appear to me this year, and I'm not seeing much in the way of logic behind it. At the Pavilion we see a LOT of Wings sweaters; other teams as well, but Wings more than any other. Lots of die-hard Detroit fan transplants in San Jose, so they're a very familiar sight at the tank, and always friendly from what I've seen and experienced first hand. They don't huddle together and keep their distance like a frumpy bunch of introverted and socially retarded homers. They MIX IT UP with the San Jose fans, they're mostly knowledgeable about the other teams, and love to talk hockey -- just like here.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I'm still lurking, still posting here and there. I don't really feel like talking to anyone else at this point. I am one of those who will solidly root, in principle, for the team that beats mine, wanting to say that the path to the Cup went through my team, and that we were beaten only by the best. My only exception is if the Wings are still in it, even if they aren't the ones who eliminated us. Then it's a no-brainer for me, because the Wings are, and always have been, my other team, my China, my home away from home.

All that said, I am hoping for a Bruins-Sharks matchup. I think the Hawks are going to easily beat the Nucks. You never know until it's over, but I don't see the Nucks having the ability to stage a 3-1 comeback. The Hawks have a good, motivated, talented team this year, but I don't see them I did as the Wings. The Hawks are good, not easy to beat, but I think we already took on the very best that was out there in the last round, bar none.

Even so, the Hawks did best us in the regular season, but not by much. There was one embarrassing 7-2 blowout back in late November. That was Hossa's debut game, and Chicago scored three short-handed goals in what was a very ugly joke of a game for the Sharks, more embarrassing even than the Wings blowout of the Sharks in Game 4 of our last series. The remaining three of our reg. season games against the Hawks were decided by a single goal, in OT. In contrast, we dominated the Nucks all year, so I very much like the idea of going up against the Hawks in the WCF. That race needs to be faced if we're going to not just shed the choke moniker entirely, but also, should eventually win the Cup, win it in a way that can't easily be called a hollow victory. I want the Sharks to face the Bruins in the finals, should we make it there, of course, and to only get there through the Hawks, for another reason: because then, to get the Cup, the Sharks will have had to have gone through HALF of the Original Six teams. And I personally think that's quite something! Avs-Nordiques -- then Wings, Hawks, Bruins...Cup? Wow. To me that's a big wow, no easy road, and as it really should be -- for me at least.

GO SHARKS!

Edited by Grypho

I'm with you Grypho.

I am pleasantly surprised that so many here will be pulling for the Sharks. Someone mentioned what Sharks fans have been through...and though it's certainly nothing compared to fans of the cubbies, or even that of the blues of the last couple decades, I also feel like as a fan I've paid a debt of sorts.

It feels like I've been through an emotional roller coaster several times over, and yet we're only at the halfway point. This really illustrates just how incredibly hard it is to win the Cup in this salary cap era with 30 teams.

The blackhawks (assuming they advance) will bring another very tough test. I hope my team has plenty left in the tank for them.

Anyone else hoping for an Original 6 final? Chicago losing to Montreal or Boston would be awesome. When was the last time there was an original 6 matchup?

EDIT: There also isn't very much animosity toward the Sharks on these here boards. Wings fans have never really considered them a threat and to be honest, despite the loss I bet a lot of people still don't consider San Jose as our equals. We were angry over the reffing more than at San Jose this series, so most of our anger and disappointment is directed that way.

I honestly have nothing against San Jose as a team. If they win the Cup, great, you guys have a good fanbase out there. There really isn't a rivalry there. Now, Pittsburgh and Chicago (to a lesser extent) is a different story...

Edited by VM1138

Anyone else hoping for an Original 6 final? Chicago losing to Montreal or Boston would be awesome. When was the last time there was an original 6 matchup?

EDIT: There also isn't very much animosity toward the Sharks on these here boards. Wings fans have never really considered them a threat and to be honest, despite the loss I bet a lot of people still don't consider San Jose as our equals. We were angry over the reffing more than at San Jose this series, so most of our anger and disappointment is directed that way.

I honestly have nothing against San Jose as a team. If they win the Cup, great, you guys have a good fanbase out there. There really isn't a rivalry there. Now, Pittsburgh and Chicago (to a lesser extent) is a different story...

Maybe that is why the Sharks won this series? The Wings didn't give them the respect they deserved, they weren't a "threat".

1979 -- Canadiens vs. Rangers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_Stanley_Cup_Finals

So 31 years. I would like to see an Original 6 match-up as well, because it means the Penguins got bounced out.

I hope the Sharks win the cup now, they don't have the bandwagon fans of the likes of the Hawks and Pens. And if you're going to lose might as well lose to the best.

24dmvjs.jpg

Edited by Yak19

As cool as an original six match-up would be I still think the Sharks have put way more time into this than the Blackhawks. Plus I just can't stand the idea that the Hawks could advance as far as the finals. I want to see them implode.

I would love to watch this Hawks team fail this year. This is the only window they really have in reality to win a Cup. They are in some serious Cap trouble come next season. Their big four or five are intact, but a lot of good solid role players will be gone, come next season!

I can't understand how any true Wings fan would root for the Hawks in any situation.

There's a difference between rooting for the Hawks like they do the Wings and wanting them to win because it's the least disagreeable option.

I could care less if San Jose went into the finals. My hate for other teams is not as high as my love for the Wings so when the Wings are booted out, I only semi-watch the NHL. THe combined s***ty effort by the refs in all the series left in the 2nd round would probably give me an aneurysm <_<

As we all know, after winning the cup, a team is not as "hungry" the following year. Based on that logic, I want the Sharks to win the cup this year so that they can go out in the first round next year and return the Cup to Hockeytown.

If they come close and fail they will be all the more "hungry" next year.

Maybe that is why the Sharks won this series? The Wings didn't give them the respect they deserved, they weren't a "threat".

That is a bit of a silly statement. Not sure a Red Wings team that finished 5th in the conference, and was on the outside looking in at the end of February, would look past the best team in the regular season LOL. That statement wasn't quite worth a post.

Damn you, Matt. I'm spoiled, there's NOTHING out there. There are no other forums, LGW is the forum. I feel more at home here even than in LGS. Almost makes me want to start a site/forum and pattern it after my unwitting mentor here at LGW, a place where good, knowledgeable hockey fans can feel welcomed, and have a home away from home, the same way I feel here.

f***! Just the fact that I can say f*** here is part of what separates the men from the boys in that regard, but a very small part. There's more to it than that.

The absolute unbridled and irrational hatred that so many Hawks fans have for the Wings looks like nothing more than pure Cup envy to me; like simply having an Original Six team makes them entitled to as many past victories. I don't have a lot of respect for grave dancers, but that's how a lot of them appear to me this year, and I'm not seeing much in the way of logic behind it. At the Pavilion we see a LOT of Wings sweaters; other teams as well, but Wings more than any other. Lots of die-hard Detroit fan transplants in San Jose, so they're a very familiar sight at the tank, and always friendly from what I've seen and experienced first hand. They don't huddle together and keep their distance like a frumpy bunch of introverted and socially retarded homers. They MIX IT UP with the San Jose fans, they're mostly knowledgeable about the other teams, and love to talk hockey -- just like here.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I'm still lurking, still posting here and there. I don't really feel like talking to anyone else at this point. I am one of those who will solidly root, in principle, for the team that beats mine, wanting to say that the path to the Cup went through my team, and that we were beaten only by the best. My only exception is if the Wings are still in it, even if they aren't the ones who eliminated us. Then it's a no-brainer for me, because the Wings are, and always have been, my other team, my China, my home away from home.

All that said, I am hoping for a Bruins-Sharks matchup. I think the Hawks are going to easily beat the Nucks. You never know until it's over, but I don't see the Nucks having the ability to stage a 3-1 comeback. The Hawks have a good, motivated, talented team this year, but I don't see them I did as the Wings. The Hawks are good, not easy to beat, but I think we already took on the very best that was out there in the last round, bar none.

Even so, the Hawks did best us in the regular season, but not by much. There was one embarrassing 7-2 blowout back in late November. That was Hossa's debut game, and Chicago scored three short-handed goals in what was a very ugly joke of a game for the Sharks, more embarrassing even than the Wings blowout of the Sharks in Game 4 of our last series. The remaining three of our reg. season games against the Hawks were decided by a single goal, in OT. In contrast, we dominated the Nucks all year, so I very much like the idea of going up against the Hawks in the WCF. That race needs to be faced if we're going to not just shed the choke moniker entirely, but also, should eventually win the Cup, win it in a way that can't easily be called a hollow victory. I want the Sharks to face the Bruins in the finals, should we make it there, of course, and to only get there through the Hawks, for another reason: because then, to get the Cup, the Sharks will have had to have gone through HALF of the Original Six teams. And I personally think that's quite something! Avs-Nordiques -- then Wings, Hawks, Bruins...Cup? Wow. To me that's a big wow, no easy road, and as it really should be -- for me at least.

GO SHARKS!

One of the things I like about this board is that other teams' fans come here and post during series and some of them stick around. Sharks fans have been pretty cool, as far as I can tell.

The way I look at it the Sharks kind of modeled themselves after the Wings. You took our assistant coach - play a good puck possession game, kicked our butt in faceoffs (right out of our "old" playbook", etc. What I really notice is that McLellan has everyone buying into the team game instead of me-me-me (#87 anyone?). What I saw last night from the Sharks reminded me of what the Wings usually do.

I catch quite a few of the Sharks games since I live in the mountain time zone. Do us a favor and bounce the Hawks next....

I have also been surprised by so many people here have chosen the Sharks.

It was a good series, guys! It really was. Even though, the refs were pretty bad. The Sharks top players are finally playing like top players. In the past, Nabokov wouldn't have bounced back after that horrible loss 7-1. Maybe the olympics helped him just to bounce back. Many Shark fans have been jealous of Detroit and yes the fans. It seems like you always go to the WCF year after year after year after year after year. ANd are always some how in the SCF. It always seems like you are always in the end, just like the yankees, redsox, lakers, etc etc. The Sharks for many years have tried to play your game, and it finally maybe have worked this year.

I hope the Sharks will beat the hawks\canucks. It will be a hard series. And yes, i'm hoping LIdstrom doesn't retire, never like to see a legendary player retires like LIdstrom.

And sorry if I trash talked during game 4 and part of game 5 in the forums\ chatrooms, just heat of the moment. I usually don't trash talk. I'm sure we will see you in the playoffs next year, you have over 13 million to spend, and will be a good team next year.

See you guys next year, but I will still post here.

The way I look at it the Sharks kind of modeled themselves after the Wings. You took our assistant coach - play a good puck possession game, kicked our butt in faceoffs (right out of our "old" playbook", etc. What I really notice is that McLellan has everyone buying into the team game instead of me-me-me (#87 anyone?). What I saw last night from the Sharks reminded me of what the Wings usually do.

More than kind of. I think we modeled ourselves, at the very least in the past few years, directly after the Wings. Why mess with a proven formula?

And yes, a lot of that me-me-me that has killed the Sharks in the past is gone. I actually think it's why Marleau has struggled, trying to reconcile hotshot with team player. #11 Owen Nolan was a great player, but also a selfish alpha dog, a hotshot player who passed a lot of judgment on his team mates. It's great to have hero on the ice, but not if it goes to his head, and it's at the expense of the rest of the team. That was Nolan all the way, and for as much as I liked (and knew) him personally, I was glad to see him go to another team.

One of the things I like about this board is that other teams' fans come here and post during series and some of them stick around. Sharks fans have been pretty cool, as far as I can tell.

I concur . . . with two puck-possession teams, faceoffs were HUGE in this series. Winning those defensive zone draws late in the third period (while up by a goal) were pivotal for the Sharks.

I catch quite a few of the Sharks games since I live in the mountain time zone. Do us a favor and bounce the Hawks next....

The Hawks have to get by Vancouver first. The Canucks made it interesting tonight! Perhaps they should act like they are playing an away game when they hit GM Place for Game 6 . .

Edited by Canned Heat

So since the 94-95 season (14 seasons not incl this season or the lockout, either the Wings win the cup OR the team that eliminates them win the cup, with the exception of 3 years (the 99, 00 and 01 champs).

Pretty odd stat over this long of a stretch!!

I don't think it's an odd stat at all. You probaby didn't get the numbers right, when you say the team that eliminates the Wings win teh cup, with teh exception of 3 years, that's not true, actually, it's only be 2 years where the team eliminating the Wings won the cup (ignoring when the Wings actually lost in the Finals).

Ignoring the years the where the Wings have won or lost in the Finals, there have been 8 seasons (starting in 1996, since the Wings were in the Finals in 1995) - I used 1995 as the starting point since that is the year you chose. Of those 8 seasons:

3 years - the team that beat the Wings didn't make the Finals

3 years - the team that beat the Wings lost in the Finals

2 years - the team that beat the Wings won the CUP

So, 5 out of 8 years, the team that beat the Wings went to the Finals to either win or lose.

But think about this...if you make the playoffs and lose in the first round, the team that beats you has a 25% chance at getting to the finals. If you lose in the 2nd round, the team that beat you has a 50% chance at getting to the finals. Pretty decent probabilities.

I hope Montreal beats Pittsburgh and moves on to the finals in the East.

I hope Chicago puts up a 6+ spot on Luongo in the next game and then destroys San Jose in 4.

I hope Chicago and Montreal have a good, old-time style final that works out in 5 games with Chicago winning, and that rat Joel Quenneville finally winning something and deciding to retire.

I hope Kopecky scores 15 goals in the next 10 games and wins the Conn Smythe.

Wow, thinking about this took a while...so many rivals to choose from :lol:

I guess I'd like to see the Sharks win, they play well enough. But I wouldn't mind seeing them lose the SCF to Montreal or Boston either. Y'know, the "curse of Detroit" as mentioned by Don Cherry.

From most to least favorite, here is my map of who to cheer for:

1.Habs (Original Six, cinderella story NOT sponsored by the league)

2.Sharks (If you're going to lose, lose to the best)

3.Bruins (O-6, been in the playoffs a while)

4.Canucks (Lots of my Seattle friends are fans,and I like Sammy)

5.Flyers (They try, and the fanbase is there, I just don't think it'll be this year)

6.Blackhawks (There's enough annoying bandwagon fans at my college to last a lifetime)

7.Pens (Nuff said)

so, carried out...Vancouver and Chicago for WCF, Montreal and Boston for ECF, with Habs topping Nucks in the SCF.

I can dream, right?