• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
pjgj13

San Jose to Finals?

Rate this topic

I agree the series was closer than a 4-1 result implies. As a Sharks fan, I would rather face the Hawks or the Canucks (no preference) than face the Red Wings again in the next round. Although the Avs series ended up 4-2, it wasn't as close nor are the Avs anywhere near as dangerous as the Wings.

Which raises a question for Red Wing fans:

Knowing what you know now, do you think the Red Wings would have fared better against the Hawks or Canucks?

I agree the series was closer than a 4-1 result implies. As a Sharks fan, I would rather face the Hawks or the Canucks (no preference) than face the Red Wings again in the next round. Although the Avs series ended up 4-2, it wasn't as close nor are the Avs anywhere near as dangerous as the Wings.

Which raises a question for Red Wing fans:

Knowing what you know now, do you think the Red Wings would have fared better against the Hawks or Canucks?

Definitely

Those 4 games we lost, Sharks capitalized on fatal mistakes and just unlucky breaks ie. Lidstrom's stick breaking, Williams crappy shot + Ericsson's pinch which lead to the OT 2on1 goal, Rafalski's giveaway... Sharks were the better team, Wings played well but made more mistakes and Sharks seemed very polished all around.

I think the Sharks will win the cup.

Guest Shoreline

1994-95 Devils beat Wings, Devils win cup.

1995-96 Avalanche beat Wings, Avalanche win cup.

1996-97 CUP CHAMPS

1997-98 CUP CHAMPS

1998-99 Avalanche beat Wings, Avalnche lose before finals.

1999-00 Avalanche beat Wings, Avalanche lose before finals.

2000-01 Kings beat Wings, Kings lose before finals.

2001-02 CUP CHAMPS

2002-03 Ducks beat Wings, Ducks lose in finals.

2003-04 Flames beat Wings, Flames lose in finals.

2004-05 LOCKOUT

2005-06 Oilers beat Wings, Oilers lose in finals.

2006-07 Ducks beats Wings, Ducks win cup.

2007-08 CUP CHAMPS

2008-09 Penguins beat Wings in finals.

2009-10 Sharks beat Wings, ????

So since the 94-95 season (14 seasons not incl this season or the lockout, either the Wings win the cup OR the team that eliminates them win the cup, with the exception of 3 years (the 99, 00 and 01 champs).

Pretty odd stat over this long of a stretch!!

You forgot about 03, 04, 06.. the rest of the teams that beat the Wings and didn't win the cup.

So that's 4 teams who beat the Wings in a series and won the cup in some fashion (either directly by beating the Wings for the cup or the Wings being on the road to it), and 6 teams who beat the Wings in a series who didn't win the cup. That's worse than a 50% chance that a team that beats the Wings goes on to win a cup if these numbers even mattered.

4-6 of teams that beat the Wings means what? Absolutely nothing.

Definitely

Those 4 games we lost, Sharks capitalized on fatal mistakes and just unlucky breaks ie. Lidstrom's stick breaking, Williams crappy shot + Ericsson's pinch which lead to the OT 2on1 goal, Rafalski's giveaway... Sharks were the better team, Wings played well but made more mistakes and Sharks seemed very polished all around.

I think the Sharks will win the cup.

If that is true (Sharks/Wings toughest matchup), I'd say the advantage of being the higher seed has been generally overlooked. It may well be all that seperates these two teams. The home ice advantage was critical in this series, IMO. The Sharks are tough at the Tank. However, the Wings have had far more success at the Tank than the Sharks have had at JLA.

Had the Hawks been the #1 seed, the semi-final matchups would have had the Sharks host the Canucks and the Wings play at Chicago. It isn't a stretch to imagine a Wings/Sharks WCF in that scenario.

Maybe next year.

Had the Hawks been the #1 seed, the semi-final matchups would have had the Sharks host the Canucks and the Wings play at Chicago. It isn't a stretch to imagine a Wings/Sharks WCF in that scenario.

The Sharks BARELY made it to the #1 seed. That was decided in the last games by both teams. The Sharks HAD to win, and the Hawks HAD to lose for that to happen. So you're right, it very well could have been a Sharks/Wings WCF, not much of a stretch at all, given the Wings very much have the Hawks' number, and the Sharks have always played extremely well against the Nucks.

And yes, our series was WAY closer than the win tallies tell. High scoring, all games decided by a single goal, lots of good shots from both sides not netted -- the entire series could have easily gone either way.

And yes, our series was WAY closer than the win tallies tell. High scoring, all games decided by a single goal, lots of good shots from both sides not netted -- the entire series could have easily gone either way.

Well we did outscore you guys in the series. So really it's like we won right? Right?

The Sharks BARELY made it to the #1 seed. That was decided in the last games by both teams. The Sharks HAD to win, and the Hawks HAD to lose for that to happen. So you're right, it very well could have been a Sharks/Wings WCF, not much of a stretch at all, given the Wings very much have the Hawks' number, and the Sharks have always played extremely well against the Nucks.

Agreed on all points. BTW, I picked Logan Couture's shootout winner to give the Sharks the #1 seed as the Play of the Year for the Sharks. Winning in the playoffs is much harder for lower seed teams. Red Wing fans are so used to seeing their team being a high seed they tend to take it for granted.

The Wings had to play #4 Phoenix, which had more regular season points than #3 Vancouver. As expected, the Coyotes were the toughest first round opponent. The Wings then had to face the toughest remaining opponent, rested and with home ice. That's a rocky road to the Cup.

Bottom line: the injuries the Wings suffered in the regular season made the Wings playoff run much harder than in past seasons. IMO, the team doesn't need a major overall. A tweak here and there with some added depth and the Wings will be a favorite again next year. As much as I wish the Wings dynasty was over, I don't expect that to happen.