• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:18 PM

Obviously in the cap world draft picks and great scouting are more important than ever before. Last year Holland traded down which I think was a brilliant move as our scouts do an amazing job drafting late and picked up an extremely underrated kid named Andrej Nestrasil - big new-age powerforward.

One kid that dropped in the 2010 draft is Kirill Kabanov. The reason, from what I understand, is he's a flight risk and has a bad attitude. How true this is, I don't know. But some suggest that he could dart off to the KHL if he flakes out.... which is why he likely won't get picked early in the first round. That said, the kid has top 5 talent, has puck skills that would make Datsuyk and Larionov say "wow!" (watch videos on youtube and see for yourself, the kid is insane).

Is he worth the 22nd pick for Detroit or should Holland trade down again? Wings desperately need to get some top 6 players in the system. What would you like to see Holland do with the 22nd pick?

#2 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:26 PM

Meh, I'm tired of primadonnas who bolt when things don't go their way. I'd rather they go for someone without considerable problems. And if there isn't anyone, trade down. It's too risky to blow draft picks on a guy who might bolt.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#3 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:32 PM

22 is good spot to pick Dylan Mcilrath. A real solid defender that could be a huge shut down guy for us. Think like Hatcher or a less offensive Pronger but as tough as nails.

I've actually seen some mock drafts having detroit pick him and we know Kenny is interested from that list on TV earlier this year. He was voted the toughest guy in the WHL and can play. This guy would be unreal.

We don't really have top end defensive prospects and I'm really sick of gettnig my hopes up just for someone to bolt back to Europe which has been a pattern lately. I really doubt Kenny goes Russian in the first round especially if Mcilrath is still on the board.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#4 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:36 PM

I hope Holland or someone from the scouting staff at least has the chance to interview him and learn for themselves if he's a primadonna. He might be a risky pick, but he could be a star in the NHL if his attitude isn't an issue.

mynhldraft.com has Wings picking Dylan McIlrath - 6'5 / 215ibs punishing defenseman. The kid is a one man wrecking crew -- he hits you to hurt you. That may be a nice pick too :)

#5 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:41 PM

22 is good spot to pick Dylan Mcilrath. A real solid defender that could be a huge shut down guy for us. Think like Hatcher or a less offensive Pronger but as tough as nails.

I've actually seen some mock drafts having detroit pick him and we know Kenny is interested from that list on TV earlier this year. He was voted the toughest guy in the WHL and can play. This guy would be unreal.

We don't really have top end defensive prospects and I'm really sick of gettnig my hopes up just for someone to bolt back to Europe which has been a pattern lately. I really doubt Kenny goes Russian in the first round especially if Mcilrath is still on the board.

Sold! I just posted the same thing before I read your post. Mcilrath is a much less risky pick that could be high reward. The kid is an intelligent defenseman that loves to hit to hurt. He's a bulldozer.

#6 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:43 PM

Sold! I just posted the same thing before I read your post. Mcilrath is a much less risky pick that could be high reward. The kid is an intelligent defenseman that loves to hit to hurt. He's a bulldozer.

Because this is a Red Wings board I might as well ask before somebody else does: Any puck skills? If he has moderate puck skills then he sounds like a Brooks Orpik type.

#7 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:45 PM

"We will continue to draft highly skilled and fast players that can skate"

If they can't skate fast nor make a good first pass they won't pick them... :thumbdown: <_<

#8 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:45 PM

If you ignore that idiot announcer its a good win for McIlrath.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:51 PM

Director of NHL Central Scouting, E.J. McGuire
“Big and mean, old-time typical NHL defenseman. He scares people not only with some frequent fights he might get in, but with 6-4, 212 lbs. straight ahead speed and offensive ability to match. Often, and in a very complimentary sense, makes puck carriers cut to the other side of the ice with his intimidating size.”

Moose Jaw Warriors head coach Dave Hunchak
“An old school defensemen who plays hard and very physical. A great deal of untapped potential that can be used in shut down situations as well as on the offensive side of the puck.”

Moose Jaw Warriors radio broadcaster James Gallo
“17-year-old Dylan Mcilrath’s large frame casts a shadow that many NHL scouts and opposing teams have taken notice of. His strong defense and punishing physical play has turned him into a fan favourite at the Civic Center.”

Sounds to me like he can move the puck sufficiently. He might not be a brian rafalski puck skills wise but he's mean and can play.

With Lidstrom going this could be the guy to replace his defense. Shut down potential as well as being on the same level of other NHL heavy weights.

He seriously has Pronger written all over him.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#10 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:53 PM

I hope Holland or someone from the scouting staff at least has the chance to interview him and learn for themselves if he's a primadonna. He might be a risky pick, but he could be a star in the NHL if his attitude isn't an issue.

mynhldraft.com has Wings picking Dylan McIlrath - 6'5 / 215ibs punishing defenseman. The kid is a one man wrecking crew -- he hits you to hurt you. That may be a nice pick too :)

"In 2007, 15-year-old Kabanov was signed to a five-year contract with HC Spartak Moscow, a deal negotiated by his father and included an escape clause that would allow him to leave the contract to play in the National Hockey League (NHL).[1] When the Russian Super League was disbanded in favour of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) in 2008, he signed a new four-year contract to replace the original deal that also had an NHL escape clause.[1] He joined Spartak in 2008–09 as the youngest player in the KHL and appeared in ten regular season and playoff games.[2] During the season, the KHL unilaterally revoked his NHL escape clause. His playing rights were sold to Salavat Yulaev Ufa, which required a new contract be signed under KHL rules. Ufa refused to grant him another escape clause, and Kabanov refused to sign a new contract.[1] In the meantime, he was selected by the Moncton Wildcats of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL) with the seventh overall selection in the Canadian Hockey League Import Draft."

That is straight from wikipedia. From that it seems the kid is set on playing in the NHL. What scares me is he did not put up one point in 10 KHL games but he is only 17 so that may not be so much of a big deal. He did put up 11 points in 7 games during the WJC though.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:53 PM

Because this is a Red Wings board I might as well ask before somebody else does: Any puck skills? If he has moderate puck skills then he sounds like a Brooks Orpik type.

All I can find is he's a good skater for his size. I'm sure he is still a project @ 17 years old.... I doubt he'll be a top 2. He might make a solid #4 on the DRWs, and someone who can PK.

This is a quote used to describe him -- McIlrath, aka the "Freight Train from Winnipeg"

#12 anthonyn66

anthonyn66

Wings fan in Leaf Nation

• PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:56 PM

I also hope they draft a solid shut down defenseman who can move the puck as well. They have a lot of defensive defensemen and forwards who can score, but I think they need to add size too.

On second thought, if Lidstrom retires, they really should trade this pick with another player for a high-end defenseman.

#13 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:58 PM

hope McIlrath doesn't get taken before the Wings have a chance

Posted Image

#14 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:58 PM

Brendan Smith finds your lack of faith disturbing.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#15 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:00 PM

Stay at home D-Man please.

But, as usual, Holland and Nill will simply take the best player available. They never draft for need.

OR they'll trade the pick away for multiple 2nd rounders.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#16 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:02 PM

They need to keep trying to stock the cupboards with high upside prospects. A kid who could move in before they're 22 would be awesome.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#17 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:03 PM

What are they gonna do with the dilemma called Jakub Kindl? a 15th overall with maximum years in the AHL and still is a liability and a turnover machine... what a fail pick :thumbdown:

#18 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:09 PM

Brendan Smith finds your lack of faith disturbing.

I actually do have faith in Smith, but one high end guy in the system isn't really enough for my liking.

All I can find is he's a good skater for his size. I'm sure he is still a project @ 17 years old.... I doubt he'll be a top 2. He might make a solid #4 on the DRWs, and someone who can PK.

This is a quote used to describe him -- McIlrath, aka the "Freight Train from Winnipeg"

I've read he can make crisp breakout passes but he's not really an offensive guy from what I can tell.

I don't see Detroit passing him up if they get the chance to pick him, he was listed as a guy they were scouting too. I hate the waiting game now .

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#19 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:12 PM

What are they gonna do with the dilemma called Jakub Kindl? a 15th overall with maximum years in the AHL and still is a liability and a turnover machine... what a fail pick :thumbdown:

I thought Howard was going to be a fail in the NHL too... then he was in the Calder race. I'm holding judgement on Kindl. He could be a pleasant surprise. Jury is still out. He did have a good training camp a few years ago, he is capable of turning it around, imo.

As for the Dylan McIlrath discussion, he has 7 goals, 17 assists and 24 points in 65 games in the WHL. He has some offensive upside.

#20 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:15 PM

trade the pick and Cleary, to move up a bit