• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Heaten

Wings' first draft pick - 22nd overall

Rate this topic

Yeah I was thinking Stuart is a good comparison except Mcilrath is a hell of a lot meaner. I think if you loook at what the wings are lacking in the farm this guy provides a lot. You throw everything you said in and add the fact that he will be one of the toughest guys in the league, on the level of like Carkner and Matt Walker and it seems like a no brainer.

If you pick a skilled guy theres a chance that the skill doesnt translate to the bigger stronger NHL but picking this guy youre guaranteed pretty much a 6th defenseman that can hit, fight and clear the front of the net.

Would he be a heavy weight in terms of fighting/toughness?

Would he be a heavy weight in terms of fighting/toughness?

Mcilrath could be compared to a fighter like Carkner, Colton Orr and probably beat up on light heavies like Chris Neil or Cam Jansen.

Reread your post and I was confused I thought it said who. Yeah he's voted the best fighter in the WHL this season.

Edited by newfy

Mcilrath could be compared to a fighter like Carkner, Colton Orr and probably beat up on light heavies like Chris Neil or Cam Jansen.

Reread your post and I was confused I thought it said who. Yeah he's voted the best fighter in the WHL this season.

Kick ass-- he would definitely add a needed element to this team.

Kick ass-- he would definitely add a needed element to this team.

And at his size and strength already he would be NHL ready at least physically then most of our prospects. Would be nice having someone that could jump in right away or close to it.

And at his size and strength already he would be NHL ready at least physically then most of our prospects. Would be nice having someone that could jump in right away or close to it.

Definitely. One problem with this team's love of overripe prospects is that our players have shorter NHL careers because they don't enter the league early enough.

Director of NHL Central Scouting, E.J. McGuire

“Big and mean, old-time typical NHL defenseman. He scares people not only with some frequent fights he might get in, but with 6-4, 212 lbs. straight ahead speed and offensive ability to match. Often, and in a very complimentary sense, makes puck carriers cut to the other side of the ice with his intimidating size.”

Moose Jaw Warriors head coach Dave Hunchak

“An old school defensemen who plays hard and very physical. A great deal of untapped potential that can be used in shut down situations as well as on the offensive side of the puck.”

Moose Jaw Warriors radio broadcaster James Gallo

“17-year-old Dylan Mcilrath’s large frame casts a shadow that many NHL scouts and opposing teams have taken notice of. His strong defense and punishing physical play has turned him into a fan favourite at the Civic Center.”

Sounds to me like he can move the puck sufficiently. He might not be a brian rafalski puck skills wise but he's mean and can play.

With Lidstrom going this could be the guy to replace his defense. Shut down potential as well as being on the same level of other NHL heavy weights.

He seriously has Pronger written all over him.

YES PLEASE, I think Holland has stacked up on a lot of Offensive Dman I'm sure at one point he's going to move to the other end of the spectrum

Obviously in the cap world draft picks and great scouting are more important than ever before. Last year Holland traded down which I think was a brilliant move as our scouts do an amazing job drafting late and picked up an extremely underrated kid named Andrej Nestrasil - big new-age powerforward.

One kid that dropped in the 2010 draft is Kirill Kabanov. The reason, from what I understand, is he's a flight risk and has a bad attitude. How true this is, I don't know. But some suggest that he could dart off to the KHL if he flakes out.... which is why he likely won't get picked early in the first round. That said, the kid has top 5 talent, has puck skills that would make Datsuyk and Larionov say "wow!" (watch videos on youtube and see for yourself, the kid is insane).

Is he worth the 22nd pick for Detroit or should Holland trade down again? Wings desperately need to get some top 6 players in the system. What would you like to see Holland do with the 22nd pick?

Wow...

Sounds like a younger version of what Brad Stewart does now (noting that he was considered an offensive prospect coming into the league... his current role came after he moved to Boston).

We could definitely use a kid who's 6'4 at age 17-- he could put another inch or two on over the next few years. Add strong defensive ability, possible offensive upside and a ton of physicality and it looks like a really strong pick.

Sorry - but who is Brad Stewart???

Dylan Mcilrath - SOLD!!!

I think this is a good draft to address our need for a big, stay at home, mean defenseman. There seems to be a lot of eligible ones this year and if not anything else we could use a late pick to pick one up and hope he pans out.

If we don't get Mcilrath theres:

Tyler Stahl - seems to be ranked somewhere in the second round. 15 fights most of which were caused by his bone crushing hits.

Radko Gudas - Big, big hitter that once again mostly fights answering for his huge hits. Ranked in the second round

Alex Petrovic - 6'4, fights on occasion and is ranked as a second round guy

Austin Levi - Hometown boy, 6 fights last year. Good size at 6'3. Late second early third

Jake Cardwell - played for a fairly tough sudbury team this year. COuld be a late round pick.

These are just a few guys theres a local guy RJ Mahalak that plays for plymouth that could get picked as well. I guess we'll see. If Detroit wants a mean defenseman, this draft is the year to pick one.

I first saw McIllrath at MJ camp when he was 16 years old. Didn't make a mistake in scrimmages against his age group. He took out the man well and moved the puck quickly. Then, he did the same thing again the next day when they shuffled the scrimmage rosters. After a few nervous nights early, I'm told he stepped up and played well in the past two seasons. As it was as a 16-year-old at a major junior camp, he was the best defensive defenceman I'd seen in years.

He's grown an inch or an inch and a half since then and really bulked up. I'm not totally surprised his stock has risen so much, and as team weight the risk/reward between now and the draft, I would doubt he's available in the 20s. Maybe 11-15? His is the stock that will rise while GMs and scouts think: "Do I want to draft a kid in the first round who may not physically or skill-wise grow and/or may not leave their home country?"

I've only seen him play a couple of times since then, but my old friends back in the Jaw love watching him play D. He's a gamer. But we probably won't draft high enough to get him. :(

A bit on Kabanov...he started the year in Moncton with the Wildcats, as i'm a wildcat fan, i have heard many stories about this kid. He missed about 45 games with a wrist injury, he came back expecting to be on the top line and first PP unit, when that didnt go his way, i was told that he said put me on the top line or im going back to russia, and a few players stood up and told him that they would help him pack, so he was not well like ethier ...but he is a serious talent watchen him on the ice when he did play reminded me of datsyuk , he has some sick puck handling skills, so it might be worth the risk

Edited by Draper_Rocks#33

Guest Heaten

Wow...

My sarcasm detector isn't working today. The "new-age powerforward" comment in regards to Andrej Nestrasil isn't my invention. It's used by redwingscentral.com to describe the kid.

STRENGTHS

Has the offensive game of a new-age power forward ... Superb puck control, taking advantage of his ample size and strength ... Great down low and along the boards ... Capable hitter ... Willing to go into traffic and battle ... Terrific 1-on-1 moves and deadly on shootouts ... More of a playmaker with impressive vision ... Continues to take big steps forward in his development.

Source: http://www.redwingscentral.com/prospects/nestrasil.php

----------------------------------------------

Also, it looks like Holland is drafting some players to get this team bigger and stronger. Cayer for example is 6'3", Lashoff is 6'3"/204 ibs and is known to play physical as well. Actually, I predict Lashoff to become a solid and physical d-man. I'm surprised he doesn't get talked about more. Though I'm sure he gets overshadowed by Smith.

My sarcasm detector isn't working today. The "new-age powerforward" comment in regards to Andrej Nestrasil isn't my invention. It's used by redwingscentral.com to describe the kid.

STRENGTHS

Has the offensive game of a new-age power forward ... Superb puck control, taking advantage of his ample size and strength ... Great down low and along the boards ... Capable hitter ... Willing to go into traffic and battle ... Terrific 1-on-1 moves and deadly on shootouts ... More of a playmaker with impressive vision ... Continues to take big steps forward in his development.

Also, it looks like Holland is drafting some players to get this team bigger and stronger. Cayer for example is 6'3", Lashoff is 6'3"/204 ibs and is known to play physical as well. Actually, I predict Lashoff to become a solid and physical d-man. I'm surprised he doesn't get talked about more. Though I'm sure he gets overshadowed by Smith.

I had a chance to see him playing...

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/andrej_nestrasil

Talent Analysis

Nestrasil's ability to make plays at high speed allows him to surprise his opponents and catch opposing defensemen flat-footed. At 6'2 and 194 pounds, Nestrasil has decent size, but he still has some work to do in adapting to the physical style in North America and playing a more complete game.

STRENGTHS

It really seems like Holland is drafting bigger and grittier now then he used to. If they aren't big, they are fairly gritty. Like Ferraro and Callahan. Tatar isn't big but he was just too good to pass up on. And yeah if Lashoff started fighting more he would be talked about like crazy on here because he is really good and can fight. Maybe once he gets into the AHL he'll start fighting more trying to make his way to the NHL. Time will tell I guess.

A bit on Kabanov...he started the year in Moncton with the Wildcats, as i'm a wildcat fan, i have heard many stories about this kid. He missed about 45 games with a wrist injury, he came back expecting to be on the top line and first PP unit, when that didnt go his way, i was told that he said put me on the top line or im going back to russia, and a few players stood up and told him that they would help him pack, so he was not well like ethier ...but he is a serious talent watchen him on the ice when he did play reminded me of datsyuk , he has some sick puck handling skills, so it might be worth the risk

Wow. HUGE NO to this kid. You can't waste a high draft pick on a guy who is risky. Take the for sure guy that is going to be a good contributor in the NHL.

Guest Heaten

I had a chance to see him playing...

http://www.hockeysfu...ndrej_nestrasil

Talent Analysis

Nestrasil's ability to make plays at high speed allows him to surprise his opponents and catch opposing defensemen flat-footed. At 6'2 and 194 pounds, Nestrasil has decent size, but he still has some work to do in adapting to the physical style in North America and playing a more complete game.

Interesting how two prospect analysis websites have two completely different reports on the same kid.

Your source says he has speed that allows him surprise his opponents and catch them flat-footed, but he has work to do to play NA physical style hockey.

While redwingscentral.com says his speed is his weakness, but he's a physical player and uses his size well.

Superb puck control, taking advantage of his ample size and strength ... Great down low and along the boards ... Capable hitter ... Willing to go into traffic and battle [...] "He likes to take the puck to the net. He protects the puck well in the corners and he's got the hands to do it. He's got good size and he's just a good hockey player." — Red Wings assistant general manager Jim Nill

Weakness according to redwingscentral:

PROJECTION

The Red Wings have a highly-skilled top-six forward with size in the making if Nestrasil improves his skating, although his lack of speed was a big reason why he was still available in the third round of the 2009 draft. Nestrasil will be expected get a little bit faster, but should put up 80 to 90 points as a second-year QMJHLer with Victoriaville in 2009-10.

One report says he has speed but is physically inept. The other report says his speed is his biggest knock, but is a physical force.

Guys we'll have to see. btw, I watched him on TV. Never in person. I did enjoy watching him, he looked good out there.

i dont know much about the guys your talking about but im kinda of shocked no one has mentioned Jeff Skinner. this kid can plain out score goals. i've looked at mocks and they have him so high in the top 10 which isnt right, hes late first round talent.

ive watched him play enough this year to see the knocks on him. he isnt the best skater in the world but lets be honest here, if holmer can play with mule and pav then this kid can. the stats speak for themselves:(note: 2010 OHL Playoffs Stats)

1 Taylor Hall Windsor Spitfires 19gp 17g 18a 35pts

2 Jeff Skinner Kitchener Rangers 20gp 20g 13a 33 pts

scouts will be scared off due to the lack of skating but im high on this kid becoming a BIG time goal scorer in the nhl if surrounded by the right cast.

and another kid I love to watch and has easily become my favourite OHL player is a hometown boy in Jared Knight. this kid has balls and can skate..size is an issue but he is NOT afriad to back down and will crash the net to pot goals. He is very strong lower body and reminds me of kane, not the offensive upside like Kane but the small frame and strong lower body. same stats as above

Jared Knight London Knights 12gp 10g 7a 17pts

Edited by 13datsberg40

Because this is a Red Wings board I might as well ask before somebody else does: Any puck skills? If he has moderate puck skills then he sounds like a Brooks Orpik type.

Does it really matter anymore? Ericsson and Rafalski both lack defensive zone puck skills and still get plenty of ice time.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

I think we have the best scouts in the world and I will not even waste my time speculating on who we may pick because we all know that they are going to draft a kid we have never heard of and then within a few years, he will be an absolute stud.

I think we have the best scouts in the world and I will not even waste my time speculating on who we may pick because we all know that they are going to draft a kid we have never heard of and then within a few years, he will be an absolute stud.

This is fairly true, but in the first round they wont go way off teh board. They'll take the for sure well known talent and take the guys we've never heard of in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

They need to keep trying to stock the cupboards with high upside prospects. A kid who could move in before they're 22 would be awesome.

I agree. It makes it very easy to compete when you have got players that are hungry in their early 20's who are still on entry level "cap friendly" contracts making major contributions. I wonder how hard it is to find that outside of a top 5 pick though.

Focusing on some of the guys Ive seen with offensive upside...

Joey Hishon of the OHL's Owen Sound Attack could be one of the major steals of this draft. At the start of this season, he was a top 15 guy in just about every list I looked at, but multiple injuries have really hurt him in the rankings. (Similar to Brett Connolly - top 5 potential that might slide due to injuries) Hishon was able to come back for about a month this year, and still was a PPG guy. Great offensive player, and if healthy can do serious damage on the scoresheet next year in the O.

Tyler Toffoli from the Ottawa 67s is another guy that can fill the net. He has the potential to put up big numbers next year, he's just a little small right now, which might scare some teams off. He had 37 goals last year, and by the end of the 2011 season could end up looking like a very good late round pick.

John McFarland of the Sudbury Wolves must have scouts pulling their hair out. Former first overall OHL pick, captain of an U-18 Canada team that won gold, and a promising rookie year. 2010 was somewhat of a disaster for McFarland, he failed to improve on his 2008 numbers of 20G-30A, and Sudbury was one of 4 teams to miss the playoffs. Let's remember this is a guy that was in the top 10 around this time last year, so a big 2010 season was pretty much expected. This is another one of those pure snipers that can score at will when he's on, but the consistency just isn't there yet.

Jeff Skinner of the Kitchener Rangers... Its amazing what one playoff run can do for your draft stock. He turned a bunch of heads with his incredible play in April, going head to head with Nazem Kadri and the London Knights in the second round, and than putting a big scare into Taylor Hall's Windsor Spitfires in the OHL's conference finals. The big question is can his skating ability improve to an NHL-ready level. His ability to finish around the scoring area is amazing, and being voted "most dangerous around the net" by coaches certainly confirms it.

Does it really matter anymore? Ericsson and Rafalski both lack defensive zone puck skills and still get plenty of ice time.

It does matter. We need someone who can replace Lidstrom as a puck handeler in the defensive zone. If we can pick someone who can hit, skate well, and control the puck, that's who we need to pick up. McIlrath seems to be that guy then thats who we need to get.

Ehh, a lot of teams think that though. The draft is simply hit or miss imo. Some years you draft pretty well and others you don't. Hockeysfuture.com is not the most valid or reliable source for information on prospects but when they ranked Detroit 15th, which is dead middle of the pack, I thought it was fair. Don't get me wrong though, I think middle of the pack is pretty good for how the Wings haven't had any high picks and whatnot. Hope the Wings draft well this year.