• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Heaten

Wings' first draft pick - 22nd overall

Rate this topic

The thing with Kabanov is he's a major league headcase. He wants to be the next Ovechkin, and his dad is constantly meddling in stuff. Like a less-talented Russian Lindros.

He can't go back to Russia because he's banned from the KHL for 3 more years, I believe. Next stop: Moncton. He got kicked out of Moncton because they felt like he wasn't giving enough effort, and some of his teammates had had enough with him. The team was STILL IN THE PLAYOFFS, and they decided he was done with the team and his dad negotiated Kabanov to go play at the Under-18 WJC instead. Kabanov never played; he got kicked off the team for being disrespectful to the coach.

That brings us to now. Who the hell wants a player who's managed to get kicked out of the 3 last hockey teams he's played for?

Guest Lidstromboli

If Kabanov would act like that around Babcock, I'd assume his face would be flattened and he would be on his way through waivers :)

assuming that he'd ever make the team in the first place

Edited by Lidstromboli

Kabanov I wouldn't mind in the second but definitely not the first. He is not worth the risk for sure.

Austin Watson might fall too us, which would be sick. Same with Macfarland. Both big hitting, scoring power forwards with a bit of bite to their game. Between Mcilrath and these two I'm hoping we can get one of them.

Mcfarland makes Yashin look like Lidstrom on the defesnive side of the rink, I truly hope we dont get stuck with that bum. He can take his possible 80 to 100 point NHL seasons, along with his -40 rating and go play elsewhere.

Edited by cr00d

Mcfarland makes Yashin look like Lidstrom on the defesnive side of the rink, I truly hope we dont get stuck with that bum. He can take his possible 80 to 100 point NHL seasons, along with his -40 rating and go play elsewhere.

So basically Mike Green or Paul Coffey 2.0?

So basically Mike Green or Paul Coffey 2.0?

Hard to compare him to those two seeing as he plays C, and they're both defensemen(i know i compared him to Lidstrom, but i needed to make a point lol).

Yashin is a pretty good comparison, just think a little more of a north/south type of player, and a little more size.

He definately has some offensive upside(even though he has yet to really show it for Sudbury). He completely lacks defensive awareness... ZERO effort on the defensive side of the puck.

Not exactly what I would call Red Wing material.

Hard to compare him to those two seeing as he plays C, and they're both defensemen(i know i compared him to Lidstrom, but i needed to make a point lol).

Yashin is a pretty good comparison, just think a little more of a north/south type of player, and a little more size.

He definately has some offensive upside(even though he has yet to really show it for Sudbury). He completely lacks defensive awareness... ZERO effort on the defensive side of the puck.

Not exactly what I would call Red Wing material.

Ahhh I see. I was getting the defenseman vibe from Lidstrom. Well in that case we can stick with a Jeremy Williams comparison, but from the sound of it Jeremy is probably 10x better defensively. Thats a little sad.

I could see the draft going:

1. Hall

2. Seguin

3. Fowler

4. Gudbranson

5. Gormley

6. Connolly

7. Neiderreiter

8. Granlund

9. Johansen

10. Forbort

11. Skinner

12. Pysyk

13. Burmistrov

14. Campbell

15. Etem

The actual order of those players is not quite so important, but I think those are the 15 players gone in the first 15 picks. I think from 16 and on is the window where Detroit could move up and grab a player, or have a player fall to them.

That leaves, probably:

Vladimir Tarasenko

Quinton Howden

Austin Watson

Jon Merrill

Nick Bjugstad

Stanislav Galiev

Evgeni Kuznetsov

Dylen Mcilrath

Jaden Schwartz

Riley Sheahan

Tyler Toffoli

Kirill Kabanov

John McFarland

Calle Jarnkrok

Teemu Pulkkinen

Maybe a few tweaks in the Top 15 (especially in teams get bold on Watson and Tarasenko), but that's largely what we're looking at. I'd love Watson, but that's a damn good crop of players for 16-30. You take 5 players out of that list and you could still find a prospect you're happy with.

Edited by Slabby

22 is good spot to pick Dylan Mcilrath. A real solid defender that could be a huge shut down guy for us. Think like Hatcher or a less offensive Pronger but as tough as nails.

I've actually seen some mock drafts having detroit pick him and we know Kenny is interested from that list on TV earlier this year. He was voted the toughest guy in the WHL and can play. This guy would be unreal.

We don't really have top end defensive prospects and I'm really sick of gettnig my hopes up just for someone to bolt back to Europe which has been a pattern lately. I really doubt Kenny goes Russian in the first round especially if Mcilrath is still on the board.

Man that would be just what the doctor ordered.

Guest mindfly

If wings are gonna use a 1st or 2nd rounder for a Commie...erhm i mean russian... then they must make sure that player badly wants to play in the nhl, like put them against the wall at the draft combine or something and phone calls etc...there are too many russian's that doesn't even want to play in the nhl now that KHL has emerged <_<

Edited by mindfly

If wings are gonna use a 1st or 2nd rounder for a Commie...erhm i mean russian... then they must make sure that player badly wants to play in the nhl, like put them against the wall at the draft combine or something and phone calls etc...there are too many russian's that doesn't even want to play in the nhl now that KHL has emerged <_<

Exactly. People that think Kabanov is a good pick at 21 are delusional. We need to pick a guy we can for sure get in the line up in 2 years or so.

Guest Heaten

Exactly. People that think Kabanov is a good pick at 21 are delusional. We need to pick a guy we can for sure get in the line up in 2 years or so.

I'm not sure if you met the kid personally or not to already form this opinion, but there was reports that his "negative attitude" reports were unfounded and that he does want to play in the NHL. The kid was 14, 15 or just turned 16(?) when the rumor was started. Were you perfect at the age of 16? I certainly wasn't. I thought I knew everything. I quickly realized that I wasn't as smart as I thought I was... perhaps this is human nature?

As far as skill goes, I would say the kid has top 5 skill in the 2010 draft. He could very well be a super star in the league....

That said, I trust Holland and staff thoroughly groom the players before the draft. Maybe they'll be extra cautious with grooming Russians. But one thing is for certain, neither you nor I have a clue about this kid's personality. I haven't met him, and I doubt you have either.

I'm not saying Holland should draft the kid at #21, but if he's groomed well and they think he's got the "Datsyuk" persona, I say go for it. The kid has the talent to be a star someday.

I'm not sure if you met the kid personally or not to already form this opinion, but there was reports that his "negative attitude" reports were unfounded and that he does want to play in the NHL. The kid was 14, 15 or just turned 16(?) when the rumor was started. Were you perfect at the age of 16? I certainly wasn't. I thought I knew everything. I quickly realized that I wasn't as smart as I thought I was... perhaps this is human nature?

As far as skill goes, I would say the kid has top 5 skill in the 2010 draft. He could very well be a super star in the league....

That said, I trust Holland and staff thoroughly groom the players before the draft. Maybe they'll be extra cautious with grooming Russians. But one thing is for certain, neither you nor I have a clue about this kid's personality. I haven't met him, and I doubt you have either.

I'm not saying Holland should draft the kid at #21, but if he's groomed well and they think he's got the "Datsyuk" persona, I say go for it. The kid has the talent to be a star someday.

Even if there is a slight risk in taking him, its not worth the 21st pick. We rarely draft that high and need top end talent. We can't be drafting a guy who may never come across from Russia.

Sure we might complain 5 years down the road when he's scoring 50 goals or is the next Datsyuk but we should be able to pick up a for sure 30 goal scorer at our pick so it isn't too bad.

Oh and just this year Moncton almost sent him home because he was complaining about ice time, his teammates told him they would help him pack his bags. So yeah he really doesn't seem like he has that great of character

Don't know much about the players and i'm not saying I would pick him but is there a news story or some source for the team mates saying they would help pack his bags?

Just want to make sure it's documented and not hearsay.

Don't know much about the players and i'm not saying I would pick him but is there a news story or some source for the team mates saying they would help pack his bags?

Just want to make sure it's documented and not hearsay.

I read this either here or on hf, but the story is that when he came back from his injury he was demanding to be given top line/pp minutes and when the team told him no he said he would go back to Russia if they didn't and his teammates told him they'd pack his bags.

I read this either here or on hf, but the story is that when he came back from his injury he was demanding to be given top line/pp minutes and when the team told him no he said he would go back to Russia if they didn't and his teammates told him they'd pack his bags.

Yes it's on one of the first pages of this thread. But that didn't come with any source so I chalk it up to hearsay so far. It would be cool if we could get a link to confirm.

EDIT - Checked and Draper_Rocks#33 post 36 said it.

Edited by Nhurdi

What are they gonna do with the dilemma called Jakub Kindl? a 15th overall with maximum years in the AHL and still is a liability and a turnover machine... what a fail pick :thumbdown:

Afterall, hindsight is 20/20; but here are a few players drafted after Kindl;

-Paul Stastny #42

-James Neal #33

-Mark Vlasic #35

-Andrew Cogliano #25

-T.J. Oshie #24

*Sigh*

Well considering what has been done, I guess we don't have any reason to complain, but it doesn't seem like we've really drafted much in the past 5 years.

Edited by servo

Jon Merrill is a defensemen whose stock has risen dramatically since having some problems early in the year. Looks like he'd be a really good pick if he were to fall to us.

ISS Risers and Fallers

Regarded as one of the best defenseman prospects coming out of the US this year, Merrill looks to have leapfrogged his competition and could be debated as being one of the top three best defensive prospects in the entire draft. Merrill was simply dominant in Belarus and his ability to play in all situations, including running the power play, certainly makes him all the more valuable. Merrill is explosive, gets the puck on net and creates lanes all over the ice. He is effective and reliable defensively and proves to be very difficult to win space against. Scouts are salivating at the chance to add Merrill to their rosters, as he is already a dominant player but still has a lot of room for improvement. This kid is for real.

6'3", 200 lbs. Mock drafts seems to be putting him in the 20-25 range. Sounds fairly similar to MacIlrath with maybe more of an offensive upside, but without the fighting.

Jon Merrill is a defensemen whose stock has risen dramatically since having some problems early in the year. Looks like he'd be a really good pick if he were to fall to us.

ISS Risers and Fallers

Regarded as one of the best defenseman prospects coming out of the US this year, Merrill looks to have leapfrogged his competition and could be debated as being one of the top three best defensive prospects in the entire draft. Merrill was simply dominant in Belarus and his ability to play in all situations, including running the power play, certainly makes him all the more valuable. Merrill is explosive, gets the puck on net and creates lanes all over the ice. He is effective and reliable defensively and proves to be very difficult to win space against. Scouts are salivating at the chance to add Merrill to their rosters, as he is already a dominant player but still has a lot of room for improvement. This kid is for real.

6'3", 200 lbs. Mock drafts seems to be putting him in the 20-25 range. Sounds fairly similar to MacIlrath with maybe more of an offensive upside, but without the fighting.

It'd be a shock if Merrill fell to 21 at this point. He was great at the u-18s, and that particularly tourney holds a lot of stock in scouts' eyes. He could easily be early to mid teens. Of course, that means other good players can drop.

I agree that McIlrath would be a good pick, but I think it would be a bad idea to try to grab the similar, but lesser player like Tinordi. You go from a guy who could be a force to a guy who...could be pretty good. The Wings could get a better player at that point.

I'm no draft expert but I've been seeing that Macfarland has been dropping a lot and some mocks having him going around 20. I remember hearing last year he had the skill to maybe go top 5 this year. He's apparently the powerforward we've been looking for because he plays a rough and tumble game but has goalscoring ability as well. A mean Franzen is what I've been getting the vibe of. A big hitter and a guy who sticks up for teammates but racks up points. Since he was injured all season he's dropped considerably.

Do you guys think he could potentially drop to the wings or is his talent level just too high?

I have seen us getting Sheahan on a lot of mock drafts. I havent heard anything special about him though. Others mentioned that I would be very pleased with are are Skinner, McIlrath, and MaCfarland. Skinner is supposed to be a pure goal scorer, especially in close around the net. McIlrath and MaCfarland are supposed to be pretty gritty and have a decent amount of skill so I would be pleased with that.