• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Shady Ultima

Kindl

Rate this topic

It seems people are putting a lot on Kindl being great next year. He seems to be getting Leino-like levels of excitement.

Can someone please explain why? Every time I have seen him, or found clips, he is a clone of Mike Green, but with less offensive capabilities.

We rip Raffi apart for his mistakes, this guy will make Ericsson look like Lidstrom by comparison.

I'd rather keep Janik, just saying.

Guest mindfly

Think a bigger version of Brett Lebda and you have Kindl, basically. Kindl of course has a better shot and can hopefully play the pp, but defensively he's so far away...

Bring in Brendan Smith

Smith will have to put some muscle on this offseason and get a handle on the pro game next season in GR.

Without trading Kindl or Ericsson there's just no room for Smith in Detroit right now... Ericsson wouldn't get much right now because of his rough rookie season, so it'd be pointless trading him at his lowest value. Kindl would also net fewer assets than he is ideally worth, so he'd be off the block too.

I seem to recall a rather skinny looking 21 yr old taking to the ice back in 91-92 where one and all where asking who's this we got coming in? His career hasn't gone to bad has it? I do feel that

although its a good thing to groom players in the A it also stops them getting valuable exp playing alongside future HOF guys. Both Kronwall and Ericsson have played some of their best games

when icing with Nic. Pro's and cons here I know, but if Nic comes back next year I would consider playing Raffi and Kronner on the top pair with Kindl on the 2nd pairing with Nic. Having a guy on $3.5m on the 3rd pairing aint ideal but if its what it takes you gotta go with it. Also we could basically have all 3 pairing's getting even ice time which would also help down the stretch. For Smith to come in we would have to pull a deal, that I dont think will happen, but I just feel he is the better long term solution than Kindl is. I have read somewhere thou that many of the coaches feel Kindl plays better with better players, I guess we'll find that out next year. If Kindl and Smith both pan out we could be set for the next 10 yrs. Lets hope

seems to me that Kindl gets hated on a lot more before even stepping foot on the ice with the Wings than any other prospect (accept Howard) Everyone had a hard on for leino and Big E, and everyone has mocked Kindl's ability. So who has been pimping, recently?

seems to me that Kindl gets hated on a lot more before even stepping foot on the ice with the Wings than any other prospect (accept Howard) Everyone had a hard on for leino and Big E, and everyone has mocked Kindl's ability. So who has been pimping, recently?

Kindl was touted as a pretty good prospect. I think it was pretty disillusioning when he was a league-worst -34 in his first year in the AHL. The year after was -14 and this year was -4. The improvement is huge, and it's possible he'll do reasonably well here. But the +/- was the thing that, for me anyways, destroyed any enthusiasm about him coming here.

And yes, I know +/- is an over-rated stat.

Edited by Zetts

Jakub Kindl B (Above Average - Exceeds Expectations)

Jakub overcame a rough patch to play some of his best hockey as a pro down the stretch drive. The speedy rearguard started to gain some success in his puck moving ability and found that a good offense is a good defense. He started to be aggressive in getting the puck up ice instead of making mistakes in his own end. Late in the season when paired with Brian Lashoff, he raised his game another notch and was actually a difference maker for the first time in his career. He will graduate to the NHL this summer and begin the next set of lessons in Detroit.

http://griffinscentral.com/articles/042310.html

Griffinscentral usually grades prospects pretty tough. I'm not sure if they really mean the compliments they had for Kindl or if they're just relieved that they don't have to watch him anymore.

he raised his game another notch and was actually a difference maker for the first time in his career.

And that would be another reason people aren't too enthusiastic. He finally made a difference in the AHL? Kopecky was a difference maker regularly in the AHL and look how that went.

Too be honest the defensive prospect I like most is Lashoff.

He might not have the offensive ability but I just like he's physical game and we have plenty of offense on the back end.

Guest Heaten

Kindl is a toss up at this point, much like Howard was. Howard was given the chance and he knew it was his last chance or he was gone. Same thing with Kindl.

We all know the knocks with Kindl in the AHL. But there are two factors that still gives me hope that he'll pull it all together.

1. In 2006-07 Kindl had a great training camp and pre-season with the Red Wings. He would have cracked the line-up, but was sent back down to develop.

2. It's been said that Kindl plays better when he's with better players. Pair him with Stuart and see how he does.

That said, there's no guarantees. He's the leader of his own fate. My guess is he'll have a short leash. Maybe Holland will sign a decent shut-down defenseman to pair with the #6 guy, and let Kindl and Ericsson fight for that 6th spot. The jury is still out. I just hope the kid from 2006 shows up.

Guest Lidstromboli

he was pretty solid the few games played for the wings this year

but small sample size yadda yadda

Assuming Lidstrom returns (no guarantees) then I expect the #5-6-7 defensemen to be Ericsson, Kindl, and Meech. I wouldn't expect any two of the three to play together very much either in terms of being all three dressed at once or paired together, but I would expect Meech to take the defensive role if that happened as he has shown the most defense-oriented game of the three.

After what Howard did this year I'm not going to throw anymore prospects under the bus until they get a real shot with the Wings.

Best post in this thread.

You will never know how a player is going to do until they are with the big club. Success in the AHL does not equate to success in the NHL. Sometimes players rise to the occasion.

I seem to recall a rather skinny looking 21 yr old taking to the ice back in 91-92 where one and all where asking who's this we got coming in? His career hasn't gone to bad has it? I do feel that

although its a good thing to groom players in the A it also stops them getting valuable exp playing alongside future HOF guys. Both Kronwall and Ericsson have played some of their best games

when icing with Nic. Pro's and cons here I know, but if Nic comes back next year I would consider playing Raffi and Kronner on the top pair with Kindl on the 2nd pairing with Nic. Having a guy on $3.5m on the 3rd pairing aint ideal but if its what it takes you gotta go with it. Also we could basically have all 3 pairing's getting even ice time which would also help down the stretch. For Smith to come in we would have to pull a deal, that I dont think will happen, but I just feel he is the better long term solution than Kindl is. I have read somewhere thou that many of the coaches feel Kindl plays better with better players, I guess we'll find that out next year. If Kindl and Smith both pan out we could be set for the next 10 yrs. Lets hope

this is what i'm hoping for. i was talking with my dad (also lifetime wings fan) and he heard something that lilja may retire cause of the concussions. if lids took a passing the torch contract of about 3 mil or so, then the wings could go with pairings of:

kronwall - stuart

lids - kindl

rafalski - ericsson

keep the kronwall - stuart line together as the steady pairing and switch kindl and ericsson around playing with rafalski and lidstrom and they'll steadily improve during the season playing with the high calibur d men. this way, lids and rafalski stay somewhat fresh and are there to help out the young guys. then when lids hangs em up, brendan smith may be ready to jump in. then you get lines a little like so:

kronwall - kindl

stuart - smith

rafalski - ericsson

if kindl or ericsson don't pan out, make signings or trades to bring in a d man that is capable to be "the guy" on the wings blue line. i understand that rafalski shouldn't be on the 3rd line, but these are reg season lines that i threw together to get the young guys ready to take over.

i personally think the future of the wings is bright. lids is the type of d man that comes around once an era...thank god he threw on the wing wheel, and kept it on.

Best post in this thread.

You will never know how a player is going to do until they are with the big club. Success in the AHL does not equate to success in the NHL. Sometimes players rise to the occasion.

i watched the griffins play the moose a couple times this year and he was the best d man on the griffins. i was actually pleasantly surprised with logan pyett too. i also reserve judgement for all wings prospects until they play on the wings with the big club players. even tatar, who in the WJC (with a terrible team) and the griffins was the invisible man when i watched him play.

Some who have followed Kindl for a while say that once he plays in the NHL he'll be fine. Their main contention is that a lot of Kindl's giveaways, which are the most frustrating part of his play, were as a result of teammates who aren't skilled enough to receive certain kinds of passes or aren't consistently in the right position to receive a pass.

It's exactky like what Babcock said about Ericsson a few days ago on how he makes skill plays that guys aren't ready for. Guys like Lebda and sometimes Lilja and even some of the checking forwards. I'm sure that kind of observation is valid but whether or not it's a positive or negative indication of their abilities as players I have no idea.

Where is my man Lashoff? I have high hopes for that kid. Now as for Kindl I have never been impressed by him. He sort of scares me in a way when he gets on the ice.

Remember, Kindl almost made the team 3 years ago after an incredible camp.

I'm excited to see him play more regularly, but flat-out expect a LOT of gaffs on his part the first couple years.

If only one of Ericsson, Kindl or Smith ever make it to a top-pairing defenseman I'll be happy.

I'm really hoping Kolosov has a good year, b/c he has the potential to be a bigger, nastier Lilja.

Where is my man Lashoff? I have high hopes for that kid. Now as for Kindl I have never been impressed by him. He sort of scares me in a way when he gets on the ice.

I'm hoping he'll eventually become a Brad Stuart type. He is quite a work horse.

It's going to be interesting to see how Kindl's game translates when he's surronded by top tier talent. I'd like to think that if he gets to play more of a helping role in puck possession rather then the leader that he can really help, he's a very very good passer and that's one thing I think could really make him into a better NHLer then he might appear to be.

Some players just can't adjust to playing in the AHL, and some players look completely different when they can play with the best.