• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest REDWINGSFTW

Free Agents

Rate this topic

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

I really don't think any of us can get an accurate idea of what/who the Wing's should pursue without knowing the status of Lidstrom, Holmstrom and Bert. If Lidstrom comes back at a reduced rate, which I believe he will, I think we should be set on Defense for one more year, as while a player like Volchenkov would be nice, he just really wouldn't fit into our salary structure, and he would be underused given our depth. One player I would like us to take a look at is Ian White, as he is in my mind a very good top 4 defensemen, and could most probably be paired with Ericcsson if Lilija does not come back, and would most probably not break the bank. Other names I like are Paul Martin and possibly even Jack Johnson (Yes, I know he is a primadonna and is overated, but he still has a lot of potential). In my mind The Wing's could make those few d-men far better players than they are now.

As for forwards, I think Hudler should be enough to generate more scoring, seeing as we will be much better rested next year, and Filppula has established himself as a legitmante top 6 forward now.

If Holmstrom or Bert leave, I really like some of the names being listed (I mentioned Lombardi and Torres in another thread a few months ago), and I think those two would be good for around 1.5-2.25 mill for Toress and maybe up to 3 Mill for Lombardi. Having these guys would really give us some offensive depth on the Third line, though it would most likely mean either having Eaves or Miller depart, which I would not like (though Torres and Lombardi are better players than both).

One name I haven't heard mentioned a lot is Jagr. In my mind he can still play, and since he is fresh off a huge payday in Russia, anyone else think we may be able to get him relativily cheap (3-4 mil.) for a season? I know it's a pipedream, but in my mind if he comes back to a team for cheap, he may be the steal of the Free Agent Class, as I still consider him a First line Forward, and would gladly bring him on for one more year.

Wings need to get a right handed goal scorer who's willing to take a hometown discount.

Sign a longterm deal with Ilya Kovalchuk (people will say we aren't going to sign him)

He's 27 years old.

Sign him for 15 Years/ 75m

5m Cap Hit

Yeah but after the 2010-2011 season both goaltenders will be UFA. So that wont work either. I think that is a big thing most fans are forgetting. We have very good cap hits in the goaltending department and that wont last forever. Eventually we are gonna have to spend some money in that department. I think Jimmy might want at least $3 million after his current contract is up and if he continues to play well.

Edited by dragonballgtz

I understand Jack Johnson numbers are great, but he is a hell of a lot better all around D-men then both those guys.

Latendresse had 25 goals in 52 games. Williams had a whopping 6 goals in 44 games. I thought that was a pretty good step up of a player that makes around the same. Though, GL's performance this year, should give him a substantial raise in pay.

if it weren't for No Trade CLause's, I'd trade Rafalski straight up for Johnson. Rafalski may be a missing piece for LA to get over the hump and Johnson would be a huge building block (along with drafting McIlrath.) GL should've been drafted by the Wings instead of Kindl, but again, he didn't fit in the Wings plans, so what makes us think he does now? I would be very happy if somehow we got him, but, I doubt it. Heck I'd put Rafalski & kindl in a package to get Johnson. I believe his potential is way more of that of Kindl and like I said Rafalski just needs to go and his experience would attract Los Angeles, well should at least. Plus then that would free up more money for UFA's...

Trade Rafalski, aquire Johnson, draft McIlrath, sign Mitchell, re-sign Lids for $4.5M...

Lidstrom - Mitchell

Kronwall - Stuart

Ericsson - Johnson

Brendan Smith (with McIlrath taking over GRR for a couple of seasons coming up before he's 21)

ya ya, pipedream, now I wake up....

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

if it weren't for No Trade CLause's, I'd trade Rafalski straight up for Johnson. Rafalski may be a missing piece for LA to get over the hump and Johnson would be a huge building block (along with drafting McIlrath.) GL should've been drafted by the Wings instead of Kindl, but again, he didn't fit in the Wings plans, so what makes us think he does now? I would be very happy if somehow we got him, but, I doubt it. Heck I'd put Rafalski & kindl in a package to get Johnson. I believe his potential is way more of that of Kindl and like I said Rafalski just needs to go and his experience would attract Los Angeles, well should at least. Plus then that would free up more money for UFA's...

Trade Rafalski, aquire Johnson, draft McIlrath, sign Mitchell, re-sign Lids for $4.5M...

Lidstrom - Mitchell

Kronwall - Stuart

Ericsson - Johnson

Brendan Smith (with McIlrath taking over GRR for a couple of seasons coming up before he's 21)

ya ya, pipedream, now I wake up....

While I always liked Mitchell, and would actually not be opposed to trading Rafalski for Johnson (mainly for salary purposes, and JJ still has potential, meanwhile Raffi will only go down), we both know Ken Holland won't trade a Michigan boy who came here for less money the he could have got on the FA market.

Also not to nitpick, but we Drafted Abdelkader over GL not Kindl. Not really disapointed with the move either, seeing as GL may or may not become a great player and I don't think his attitude would fit well in the Wing's locker room.

Maybe Lidstrom wouldn't want his 16 year old son an ocean away from the rest of the family?

Guess it happens though, so who knows.

His son still has at least his grandparents over there. And I'm sure a bunch of other family members I'm sure.

Guest Heaten

Svatos is a UFA from Colorado who won't be highly-sought after due to having a low scoring year (7goals) and never played 70 games a season in his career. He's only 24 and had some amazing years with 32 goals (in 61 games) and 26 goals (in 62 games), he might be cheap and worth the risk.

He has some strikes, he's never played 82 games in his career. His seasons are very inconsistent. He might score 12 goals, or he might score 32 goals... nobody can predict what he can do.

That said, he could be great with a player like Datsyuk or Zetterberg.

Svatos is a UFA from Colorado who won't be highly-sought after due to having a low scoring year (7goals) and never played 70 games a season in his career. He's only 24 and had some amazing years with 32 goals (in 61 games) and 26 goals (in 62 games), he might be cheap and worth the risk.

He has some strikes, he's never played 82 games in his career. His seasons are very inconsistent. He might score 12 goals, or he might score 32 goals... nobody can predict what he can do.

That said, he could be great with a player like Datsyuk or Zetterberg.

Svatos:

ASSETS: Has a wealth of goal-scoring talent, especially due to a hard, accurate shot and quality finishing skills. Is confident in his abilities when handling the puck.

FLAWS: Lacks size and strength, which hurts him especially in the corners. Injuries are also a constant concern, mainly due to his smallish frame and history of shoulder problems.

Sounds like what we've already got in Hudler.

Guest Lidstromboli

we have enough top 6 forwards already

svatos is pretty useless anywhere else

While I always liked Mitchell, and would actually not be opposed to trading Rafalski for Johnson (mainly for salary purposes, and JJ still has potential, meanwhile Raffi will only go down), we both know Ken Holland won't trade a Michigan boy who came here for less money the he could have got on the FA market.

Also not to nitpick, but we Drafted Abdelkader over GL not Kindl. Not really disapointed with the move either, seeing as GL may or may not become a great player and I don't think his attitude would fit well in the Wing's locker room.

While it's true Abdelkader was drafted ahead of Lattendresse, Kindl was taken in the first round that year, which is why I said we should've drafted him instead of Kindl. With Abby making the team before Kindl, it's obvious which player was the better pick. GL taken at #19 (or #18 whichever pick we had that year) would have still left Abby available in the 2nd round since that round went reverse order. Kindl was a waste of a pick, especially now if the Wings are all of a sudden interested in GL, should've just picked him 1st to begin with...

Latendresse has certainly come into his own since being traded to the Wild, but hasn't work ethic and consistency issues been one of his major issues.

Who says that those problems won't return?

Additionally, Holland & Co. pull miracles off of the discard pile (whether it be projects - eg. Cleary, Miller, Eaves or late round draft picks), not give up future draft picks for big question marks.

IF Holland were to tender an offer sheet to anyone I doubt it'd be this guy.

We need some scoring punch for the bottom two lines. Love the energy they bring, but some more offense would take the heat off the top two lines to solely carry the team. I like Eaves and Miller quite a bit, but I'm not sure both are necessary. I would probably keep Eaves over Miller because Eaves has more potential as a goal-scorer. I agree that someone like Torres would be a nice addition.

On defense, everything depends on Nick. Obviously, that's a huge void if he retires that doesn't get replaced but has to get filled. Rafalski's contract sucks - he isn't top pairing material defensively. The offensive output doesn't make up for the turnovers and weak defensive play for me. Someone to clear the net and play physical would be nice on defense if Ericsson isn't going to step into that role. Stuart is the only consistently physical d-man we have. Anton Volchenkov is at the top of my dream list for free agents this summer.

We need some scoring punch for the bottom two lines. Love the energy they bring, but some more offense would take the heat off the top two lines to solely carry the team. I like Eaves and Miller quite a bit, but I'm not sure both are necessary. I would probably keep Eaves over Miller because Eaves has more potential as a goal-scorer. I agree that someone like Torres would be a nice addition.

On defense, everything depends on Nick. Obviously, that's a huge void if he retires that doesn't get replaced but has to get filled. Rafalski's contract sucks - he isn't top pairing material defensively. The offensive output doesn't make up for the turnovers and weak defensive play for me. Someone to clear the net and play physical would be nice on defense if Ericsson isn't going to step into that role. Stuart is the only consistently physical d-man we have. Anton Volchenkov is at the top of my dream list for free agents this summer.

Keep Eaves.I think Raffi Torres,Brian Sutherby,Shawn Thornton,and Jared Boll would all be upgrades over Miller.Get rid of Lilja and sign Sheldon Brookbank.

I'd play Kenny $500 to trade Hudler to Philadelphia for Carcillo.

I know your all about tough players, but I'd be embarrased if Carcillo played for Detroit. A spotpicking, diving, embelishing, peice of s***. I'd rather trade Hudler for someone that has a little talent to go with a back bone like Chris Neil or Cal Clutterbuck, if we were going to go that route.

Guest zackmorris

I want Kovalchuk. I don't care if I'm being unrealistic, I'm just saying, he'd be good here. Maybe he'd even take a little less after that s***-show in New Jersey. He definitely was the square peg being shoe-horned into the round hole.

Maybe he wants to win. Maybe he'll take a tad less to do it. I know I'll have "Hossa was the exception to the rule" s*** slung at me but it isn't out of the question that he'd take a couple mil less to do what he's wanted to his whole career if we can somehow fit him under. NJ clearly isn't the place for him. We have a very different team nucleus from that of NJ. We wouldn't ask the world of him. Just be a cog in the wheel of success. People under-estimate the ease that puts on a players mind and the benefits that peace of mind brings.

Not to mention we still are a powerhouse with the best system in the NHL today. One screw job resulting in a loss to a bunch of divers, doesn't change that.

Will it happen? I dunno, it's just fun to think about.

Hell, if I can be really greedy, I want Jarome Iginla. Now that isn't happening, but it'd be awesome wouldn't it? Right handed goal scorer who can throw his weight around. I don't think that's as important as the consensus believes, but within the context of our current roster, it'd be ******* AWESOME.

Otherwise unless we're getting a forward who is some serious s***, don't bother. We don't need some "almost superstar" doing what players who are already here can do. Like Svatos, Lombardi or Torres. Bleh. No thanks.

If the unthinkable happens and Lids bids us farewell, right after we're all talked off the ledge I'd love to see us trade for Chara. Again I expect flames because dreaming I guess scares some people but whatever, it'd be cool if it happened. He is a FA in 2011 so we could sign him to alot less than 7.5 mil then as he'd be 35.

My real concern is, once Lids and Raf are gone...what the hell do we do then?

Edited by zackmorris

We don't need to sign any free agents.

Kirk Maltby is coming back healthy next year, so that's our free agent acquisition. :yowza:

Sorry, but that's what Holland always says at the trade deadline.

^---Yes.

More specifically, Holland will wait until August, sign someone who has been here before and will serve limited purpose for too much money (Robert Lang, anyone?--not that I want him). Then, when a player goes down for an extended period of time, Holland will A) do nothing, because he'd "have to clear cap space later" and B) Use the player coming back from injury as our "deadline pickup" and say that the Wings are getting a good player back at the deadline, so no move necessary.

Okay I've held off saying it because I'll seem like an enforcer slappy but I say we sign Konopka. Yeah yeah he's a goon blah blah blah. But he's one of the best faceoff men in the league and has shown he can put up numbers in the AHL but has been bouncing around the NHL and hasn't really settled in.

Sign him for around the league minimum, he's still young. Have him play in Drapers 4th line center spot, win big faceoffs and play a regular 4th line role. He could be a reclamation project somewhat because he's shown he can score in the AHL. If not I'm sure the wings could turn him into a defensively strong player that wins key faceoffs and can fight. If it doesn't work out just waive him to GR.

Okay I've held off saying it because I'll seem like an enforcer slappy but I say we sign Konopka. Yeah yeah he's a goon blah blah blah. But he's one of the best faceoff men in the league and has shown he can put up numbers in the AHL but has been bouncing around the NHL and hasn't really settled in.

Sign him for around the league minimum, he's still young. Have him play in Drapers 4th line center spot, win big faceoffs and play a regular 4th line role. He could be a reclamation project somewhat because he's shown he can score in the AHL. If not I'm sure the wings could turn him into a defensively strong player that wins key faceoffs and can fight. If it doesn't work out just waive him to GR.

yes! :clap: That would really make my summer if Kenny signed Konopka.Arron Asham seems like a good option too.He'll chip in offensively,which is what we really lacked on the bottom two lines,and he'll fight anyone.There's so many good options out there.Aaron Voros would be another good pickup.He can put the puck in the net from time to time as well as patrol the ice :thumbup:

Andy Sutton! Great big, mean, stay-at-home d-man that moves people from the front of the net and can overpower people in the corners. Those are two traits the Wing's d-men sorely lack.

Agreed.What are the numbers on Sutton's contract?I was thinking maybe a cheaper guy like Sheldon Brookbank,but like i said,i'm not sure as to what the exact figures on Sutton's contract are.

I heard a rumor that the Wild were trying to trade Boogaard last year.

Guest Lidstromboli

Andy Sutton has played more than 60 games only 4 times in his career. I think I'd pass on that, no matter how tough he is.