• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#21 REDWINGSFTW

REDWINGSFTW

Rookie

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:56 PM

Wings need to get a right handed goal scorer who's willing to take a hometown discount.

Sign a longterm deal with Ilya Kovalchuk (people will say we aren't going to sign him)

He's 27 years old.

Sign him for 15 Years/ 75m
5m Cap Hit

Assuming the cap goes up 1m dollars from multiple sources...and

Lidstrom resigns for 3.5m/1 year deal...

Heres our roster:

Posted Image

Add/remove players as you wish (Lilja/Kindl)

Send this to ken holland and he get er done, if we can get kovalchuk then get that guy on board.

#22 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:01 PM

i can't tell if you're joking

but it's like you're suggesting we dump people for more expensive versions of themselves :blink:

See now I don't know if your joking!
lighten up people, it's the internet!

#23 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:04 PM

well we've got us a stalemate huh

Posted Image

#24 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:07 PM

well we've got us a stalemate huh

I understand Jack Johnson numbers aren't great, but he is a hell of a lot better all around D-men then both those guys.

Latendresse had 25 goals in 52 games. Williams had a whopping 6 goals in 44 games. I thought that was a pretty good step up of a player that makes around the same. Though, GL's performance this year, should give him a substantial raise in pay.

Edited by miller76, 10 May 2010 - 07:37 PM.

lighten up people, it's the internet!

#25 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,536 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:12 PM

We don't need to sign any free agents.

Kirk Maltby is coming back healthy next year, so that's our free agent acquisition. :yowza:

Sorry, but that's what Holland always says at the trade deadline.

if this case, if Holland gives Lids $10M, then Maltby, Hudler & Lids will be the off season. Yay!

Seriously, dump Williams, Lebda, Meech, Lilja & Maltby. Re-sign Miller, Helm, Abby, Eaves, Holmstrom & Bertuzzi (cheap) and if Lids wants more than $4.5M then dump him. I like some of the names I am seeing, would LOVE to steal Ladd out of Chicago, but if they can dump Huet then they'll resign all of their FA's. If Lids leaves then Mitchell can be signed... Bottom line is, here we go again! We all have our hopes but reality says Holland is gonna wait until Chritmas if he has to for Lids so whenever Lids decides, all of the quality UFA's will be gone, quite possibly some of our own and we'll be stuck with "We retained the services or Lidstrom and re-aquired Hudler, that is our UFA season, besides, nobody out there fit the plans of the Detroit Red Wings"(which is why Holland won't draft McIlrath even if he is there at #21.)

Hey Holland remember when Malhotra's agent contacted you last July about him wanting to play here? I am sure glad we signed Williams for $1.5 instead... On the other hand, Malhotra is glad he signed with San Jose right about now anyway... Oh I also see Travis Moen is still playing in these playoffs too, guess he chose the wiser as well! Oh, wait those two big men didn't fit in the Wings plans last July did they?

Every year Holland says he wants to get bigger and stronger thru the draft and UFA's. We'll see what happens this year. Hudler? Trade him at the draft along with our pick in order to move up to guarantee McIlrath... will it happen? :hysterical:

Blah,Blah,Blah....Trade Pav...Blah, Blah...Trade Z...Yadda, Yadda, Blah...

#26 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:13 PM

I really don't think any of us can get an accurate idea of what/who the Wing's should pursue without knowing the status of Lidstrom, Holmstrom and Bert. If Lidstrom comes back at a reduced rate, which I believe he will, I think we should be set on Defense for one more year, as while a player like Volchenkov would be nice, he just really wouldn't fit into our salary structure, and he would be underused given our depth. One player I would like us to take a look at is Ian White, as he is in my mind a very good top 4 defensemen, and could most probably be paired with Ericcsson if Lilija does not come back, and would most probably not break the bank. Other names I like are Paul Martin and possibly even Jack Johnson (Yes, I know he is a primadonna and is overated, but he still has a lot of potential). In my mind The Wing's could make those few d-men far better players than they are now.

As for forwards, I think Hudler should be enough to generate more scoring, seeing as we will be much better rested next year, and Filppula has established himself as a legitmante top 6 forward now.

If Holmstrom or Bert leave, I really like some of the names being listed (I mentioned Lombardi and Torres in another thread a few months ago), and I think those two would be good for around 1.5-2.25 mill for Toress and maybe up to 3 Mill for Lombardi. Having these guys would really give us some offensive depth on the Third line, though it would most likely mean either having Eaves or Miller depart, which I would not like (though Torres and Lombardi are better players than both).

One name I haven't heard mentioned a lot is Jagr. In my mind he can still play, and since he is fresh off a huge payday in Russia, anyone else think we may be able to get him relativily cheap (3-4 mil.) for a season? I know it's a pipedream, but in my mind if he comes back to a team for cheap, he may be the steal of the Free Agent Class, as I still consider him a First line Forward, and would gladly bring him on for one more year.
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#27 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:20 PM

Wings need to get a right handed goal scorer who's willing to take a hometown discount.

Sign a longterm deal with Ilya Kovalchuk (people will say we aren't going to sign him)

He's 27 years old.

Sign him for 15 Years/ 75m
5m Cap Hit

Yeah but after the 2010-2011 season both goaltenders will be UFA. So that wont work either. I think that is a big thing most fans are forgetting. We have very good cap hits in the goaltending department and that wont last forever. Eventually we are gonna have to spend some money in that department. I think Jimmy might want at least $3 million after his current contract is up and if he continues to play well.

Edited by dragonballgtz, 10 May 2010 - 03:39 PM.

#28 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,536 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:21 PM

I understand Jack Johnson numbers are great, but he is a hell of a lot better all around D-men then both those guys.

Latendresse had 25 goals in 52 games. Williams had a whopping 6 goals in 44 games. I thought that was a pretty good step up of a player that makes around the same. Though, GL's performance this year, should give him a substantial raise in pay.

if it weren't for No Trade CLause's, I'd trade Rafalski straight up for Johnson. Rafalski may be a missing piece for LA to get over the hump and Johnson would be a huge building block (along with drafting McIlrath.) GL should've been drafted by the Wings instead of Kindl, but again, he didn't fit in the Wings plans, so what makes us think he does now? I would be very happy if somehow we got him, but, I doubt it. Heck I'd put Rafalski & kindl in a package to get Johnson. I believe his potential is way more of that of Kindl and like I said Rafalski just needs to go and his experience would attract Los Angeles, well should at least. Plus then that would free up more money for UFA's...

Trade Rafalski, aquire Johnson, draft McIlrath, sign Mitchell, re-sign Lids for $4.5M...

Lidstrom - Mitchell
Kronwall - Stuart
Ericsson - Johnson
Brendan Smith (with McIlrath taking over GRR for a couple of seasons coming up before he's 21)

ya ya, pipedream, now I wake up....

#29 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:26 PM

if it weren't for No Trade CLause's, I'd trade Rafalski straight up for Johnson. Rafalski may be a missing piece for LA to get over the hump and Johnson would be a huge building block (along with drafting McIlrath.) GL should've been drafted by the Wings instead of Kindl, but again, he didn't fit in the Wings plans, so what makes us think he does now? I would be very happy if somehow we got him, but, I doubt it. Heck I'd put Rafalski & kindl in a package to get Johnson. I believe his potential is way more of that of Kindl and like I said Rafalski just needs to go and his experience would attract Los Angeles, well should at least. Plus then that would free up more money for UFA's...

Trade Rafalski, aquire Johnson, draft McIlrath, sign Mitchell, re-sign Lids for $4.5M...

Lidstrom - Mitchell
Kronwall - Stuart
Ericsson - Johnson
Brendan Smith (with McIlrath taking over GRR for a couple of seasons coming up before he's 21)

ya ya, pipedream, now I wake up....

While I always liked Mitchell, and would actually not be opposed to trading Rafalski for Johnson (mainly for salary purposes, and JJ still has potential, meanwhile Raffi will only go down), we both know Ken Holland won't trade a Michigan boy who came here for less money the he could have got on the FA market.

Also not to nitpick, but we Drafted Abdelkader over GL not Kindl. Not really disapointed with the move either, seeing as GL may or may not become a great player and I don't think his attitude would fit well in the Wing's locker room.
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#30 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:31 PM

Maybe Lidstrom wouldn't want his 16 year old son an ocean away from the rest of the family?

Guess it happens though, so who knows.

His son still has at least his grandparents over there. And I'm sure a bunch of other family members I'm sure.

#31 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:36 PM

Svatos is a UFA from Colorado who won't be highly-sought after due to having a low scoring year (7goals) and never played 70 games a season in his career. He's only 24 and had some amazing years with 32 goals (in 61 games) and 26 goals (in 62 games), he might be cheap and worth the risk.

He has some strikes, he's never played 82 games in his career. His seasons are very inconsistent. He might score 12 goals, or he might score 32 goals... nobody can predict what he can do.

That said, he could be great with a player like Datsyuk or Zetterberg.

#32 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:40 PM

Svatos is a UFA from Colorado who won't be highly-sought after due to having a low scoring year (7goals) and never played 70 games a season in his career. He's only 24 and had some amazing years with 32 goals (in 61 games) and 26 goals (in 62 games), he might be cheap and worth the risk.

He has some strikes, he's never played 82 games in his career. His seasons are very inconsistent. He might score 12 goals, or he might score 32 goals... nobody can predict what he can do.

That said, he could be great with a player like Datsyuk or Zetterberg.

Svatos:

ASSETS: Has a wealth of goal-scoring talent, especially due to a hard, accurate shot and quality finishing skills. Is confident in his abilities when handling the puck.
FLAWS: Lacks size and strength, which hurts him especially in the corners. Injuries are also a constant concern, mainly due to his smallish frame and history of shoulder problems.

Sounds like what we've already got in Hudler.
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#33 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:42 PM

we have enough top 6 forwards already

svatos is pretty useless anywhere else

Posted Image

#34 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,536 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:47 PM

While I always liked Mitchell, and would actually not be opposed to trading Rafalski for Johnson (mainly for salary purposes, and JJ still has potential, meanwhile Raffi will only go down), we both know Ken Holland won't trade a Michigan boy who came here for less money the he could have got on the FA market.

Also not to nitpick, but we Drafted Abdelkader over GL not Kindl. Not really disapointed with the move either, seeing as GL may or may not become a great player and I don't think his attitude would fit well in the Wing's locker room.

While it's true Abdelkader was drafted ahead of Lattendresse, Kindl was taken in the first round that year, which is why I said we should've drafted him instead of Kindl. With Abby making the team before Kindl, it's obvious which player was the better pick. GL taken at #19 (or #18 whichever pick we had that year) would have still left Abby available in the 2nd round since that round went reverse order. Kindl was a waste of a pick, especially now if the Wings are all of a sudden interested in GL, should've just picked him 1st to begin with...

#35 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:34 PM

Latendresse has certainly come into his own since being traded to the Wild, but hasn't work ethic and consistency issues been one of his major issues.
Who says that those problems won't return?

Additionally, Holland & Co. pull miracles off of the discard pile (whether it be projects - eg. Cleary, Miller, Eaves or late round draft picks), not give up future draft picks for big question marks.

IF Holland were to tender an offer sheet to anyone I doubt it'd be this guy.
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#36 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:46 PM

We need some scoring punch for the bottom two lines. Love the energy they bring, but some more offense would take the heat off the top two lines to solely carry the team. I like Eaves and Miller quite a bit, but I'm not sure both are necessary. I would probably keep Eaves over Miller because Eaves has more potential as a goal-scorer. I agree that someone like Torres would be a nice addition.

On defense, everything depends on Nick. Obviously, that's a huge void if he retires that doesn't get replaced but has to get filled. Rafalski's contract sucks - he isn't top pairing material defensively. The offensive output doesn't make up for the turnovers and weak defensive play for me. Someone to clear the net and play physical would be nice on defense if Ericsson isn't going to step into that role. Stuart is the only consistently physical d-man we have. Anton Volchenkov is at the top of my dream list for free agents this summer.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#37 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:53 PM

We need some scoring punch for the bottom two lines. Love the energy they bring, but some more offense would take the heat off the top two lines to solely carry the team. I like Eaves and Miller quite a bit, but I'm not sure both are necessary. I would probably keep Eaves over Miller because Eaves has more potential as a goal-scorer. I agree that someone like Torres would be a nice addition.

On defense, everything depends on Nick. Obviously, that's a huge void if he retires that doesn't get replaced but has to get filled. Rafalski's contract sucks - he isn't top pairing material defensively. The offensive output doesn't make up for the turnovers and weak defensive play for me. Someone to clear the net and play physical would be nice on defense if Ericsson isn't going to step into that role. Stuart is the only consistently physical d-man we have. Anton Volchenkov is at the top of my dream list for free agents this summer.

Keep Eaves.I think Raffi Torres,Brian Sutherby,Shawn Thornton,and Jared Boll would all be upgrades over Miller.Get rid of Lilja and sign Sheldon Brookbank.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#38 tommingthepuck96

tommingthepuck96

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:06 PM

With hudler returning we have enough top 6 players, the only player i'd like to see signed as a top 6 this summer is frolov.

#39 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:10 PM

With hudler returning we have enough top 6 players, the only player i'd like to see signed as a top 6 this summer is frolov.

I'd play Kenny $500 to trade Hudler to Philadelphia for Carcillo.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#40 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,012 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:23 PM

I'd play Kenny $500 to trade Hudler to Philadelphia for Carcillo.

I know your all about tough players, but I'd be embarrased if Carcillo played for Detroit. A spotpicking, diving, embelishing, peice of s***. I'd rather trade Hudler for someone that has a little talent to go with a back bone like Chris Neil or Cal Clutterbuck, if we were going to go that route.

#NOMOREKINDL