• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 REDWINGSFTW

REDWINGSFTW

Rookie

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:40 PM

Price is actually a good goaltender that can be great, just wasn't his year, and the douchebag montreal fans didnt help out at all.

#22 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:59 PM

Being a goalie in Detroit has to be one of the worst jobs in sports.

Calder trophy nomination season top 5 SV%/GAA, 30 wins, a game 7 road win and a .915 SV% in the playoffs and he gets called a sieve.

He's faced the most shots and has the most saves out any other goalie in the playoffs, he didn't cost the Wings a damn thing.

Game 3.

Howard did not have a good postseason by any stretch, but he is a rookie.

People need to understand BOTH of those points if they want to truly understand Howard as a goaltender.

Posted Image

#23 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:09 PM

Mindfly only likes Carey Price because he's Canadian.

Posted Image

#24 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:17 PM

Howard wasn't amazing, but he was good enough. He did not cost the Wing's the series at all,and in some games looked flat out great. In my mind he was better than Hasek in 06-07. People need to get realistic expectations, and realize that for the first time in recent memory, our defense was not outstanding by any means. The quality of shots Howard faced were far harder than the average Detroit Goalie faces in the playoffs.
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#25 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:24 PM

Price is actually a good goaltender that can be great, just wasn't his year, and the douchebag montreal fans didnt help out at all.

I don't doubt that Price can be a good goalie. I think he's slightly overrated, but here's the question... did the Montreal fans get to him or did he get inside his own head and cause his inconsistencies?

Moving forward, will he be effective?
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#26 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:41 PM

I don't doubt that Price can be a good goalie. I think he's slightly overrated, but here's the question... did the Montreal fans get to him or did he get inside his own head and cause his inconsistencies?

Moving forward, will he be effective?

It can get tough if he stays in montreal, halak is their guy so he will most likely get moved this summer, let's say if new jersey will get him and langenbrunner the other way (as some rumours have suggested) he will become a really really good goalie in this league. I've never been so convinced in my life.

#27 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:50 PM

Why Carey Price gets brought up is mind boggling at best...There is no reason to dump Jimmy off when he had 1 poor game the entire playoffs and some spotty goals here and there. Give me a break! this guy led us here and now because the Sharks capitalized on the calls that went in their favor. It is what it is. Price would not be the answer, a spruced up blue line would be. Thanks have a great off season.

TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#28 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Beat Boston!

• Gold Booster
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:05 PM

I could count on 1 hand how many bad goals Howard gave up in the Sharks series. Most goals he allowed was 5 on 3 and 5 on 4 goals. Can't blame Howard because his team couldn't stay out of the box.

While overall I agree, the two bad goals in game three ended any chance the Red Wings had of winning the series. If Howard keeps Couture's shot out, the series may still be going tonight.

#29 henrik40

henrik40

Lebda Sucks

• PipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:12 PM

While I don't think we should go after Price because I love what Jimmy did this year, I still think Price could be a great goalie in a different situation. They acted like he was the next Patrick Roy or Ken Dryden and he clearly wasn't ready. Poor management I think. Remember when they dumped Huet to try and ride Price in the playoffs? If I'm not mistaken they were a 2 seed that year (again I may be mistaken). There was an interesting piece in espn the magazine about Price and how being Montreal's goalie is the toughest thing in sports. Judging from the article he just wasn't mature enough to play when they wanted him too, especially with the savior tag they essentially gave him.

#30 Four

Four

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:15 PM

I can't believe Carman and I are fighting the same fight for once.

O.o

#31 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:20 PM

Why Carey Price gets brought up is mind boggling at best...There is no reason to dump Jimmy off when he had 1 poor game the entire playoffs and some spotty goals here and there. Give me a break! this guy led us here and now because the Sharks capitalized on the calls that went in their favor. It is what it is. Price would not be the answer, a spruced up blue line would be. Thanks have a great off season.

Agreed. I think the other thing that's being missed is that we have another goaltender on the payroll.

Chris Osgood. (In what could be his final year?)
I think the Wings need to do themselves a favor and play him more next year. At least give him a chance, which I don't think Babcock really did... Hey, with the way that Jimmy played, he really didn't need to.

If Osgood is done, call up Larsson.
So, we don't need Price.

On top of all that, we have to remember that Price is an RFA. Holland doesn't do offer sheets, right?

EDIT: Clarity

Edited by e_prime, 10 May 2010 - 04:22 PM.

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#32 REDWINGSFTW

REDWINGSFTW

Rookie

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:19 PM

It can get tough if he stays in montreal, halak is their guy so he will most likely get moved this summer, let's say if new jersey will get him and langenbrunner the other way (as some rumours have suggested) he will become a really really good goalie in this league. I've never been so convinced in my life.

Me to price is big, quick, and is still young, this guy has upside like no tommorow i would definately take him as our goaltender.

#33 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:26 PM

Calder trophy nomination season top 5 SV%/GAA, 30 wins, a game 7 road win and a .915 SV% in the playoffs and he gets called a sieve.

He's faced the most shots and has the most saves out any other goalie in the playoffs, he didn't cost the Wings a damn thing.

Except at least three games due to giving up bad goals at the worst possible time, bad goals in the 3rd that would cost the team a lead and/or one that would give the opposing team the lead in the second half of the 3rd.

He has some very good games, but he overall he was generally a liability on a team that was inconsistent defensively.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#34 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:29 PM

Price= and it wont happen cause holland is not retarted

Edited by mjtm77, 10 May 2010 - 11:30 PM.

Posted Image

#35 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:32 PM

He has some very good games, but he overall he was generally a liability on a team that was inconsistent defensively.

I would argue that he was "generally a liability," and state it:

He had some very good games, but he was an unproven rookie on a team that was inconsistent defensively.

An excellent start to build upon next year.

EDIT: quote formatting

Edited by e_prime, 10 May 2010 - 11:33 PM.

#36 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:40 AM

People ... Howard was the BEST thing that emerged this season.
Nothing came even close. Take that to the bank.
Without Howie, we'd be in like 15th place in the Western Conference.
And in the bigger picture of things ... we got ourselves a keeper.

#37 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,738 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:10 AM

Howard is the future. I doubted him at the beginning, but I am now a believer. If people have a problem with how he played here and there in the last series, I would hope that disclosure that he had an injury would help settle their doubts.

(Carman: watch out for posts like that one on the last page if you want to keep your "minus" level below mindfly's. It was a great post and I was one of the 20-odd people -and probably the most odd- who gave it a plus.)

Money on the board:  Current total: $6

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#38 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:49 AM

Nice Carman, right on the money for sure :thumbup: Iwant to see Howard for the next 10 years!
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#39 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

Jr. Prospect

• 15 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:55 AM

We go with Howard next season. He's the least of our problems. You have got to hand it to him. He could have easily folded like a cheap suit after game 3 but he bounced back nicely. Bottom line is he kept the RedWings in game 5.

As for Price. I think it's a confidence thing more then anything. He was touted as the saviour and when he didn't quite live up to those type of expectations the fans turned on him. And in Montreal, when they turn on you is not a good place to be. Ultimately, for the sake of his career, the best move for him is...move on.