• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kook_10

Ilitch Says Wings Likely To Stay At The Joe

Rate this topic

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hV9aGMHWYt-x7E3Mf8d4aLJ9QaawD9FK4D0O1

Red Wings owner says team likely staying at arena

By LARRY LAGE (AP) – 4 hours ago

DETROIT — Detroit Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch says the team will probably play at Joe Louis Arena again next season.

Ilitch was at the storied venue Monday with his wife, Marian, for the annual team picture. He told The Associated Press that "we'll probably end up here."

Joe Louis Arena opened in 1979. The Red Wings' building lease expires at the end of the NHL season.

The Red Wings have been contemplating whether to build a new arena or move at least temporarily to The Palace of Auburn Hills, the home of the NBA's Detroit Pistons.

I'm actually disappointed, I was really looking forward to a new arena or a completely revamped Joe.

Hopefully Mr. Illitch is wrong.

They weren't going to build a new arena in five months. This is for next year, Palace or Joe (if they can sort something temporary out with the city). They're still getting a new arena, but it will probably be like three or four years before it's done.

Edited by Trapt1307

Illitch wants to build a new arena, but he wants the city to help with the funding (AHAHAHAHAHAH!). He's been stressing patience with the issue, and won't make a move until everything is perfect. From what I hear, the Wings will be building a new rink behind the FOX. If this happen, the downtown Detroit arena will have 3 sporting teams within several hundred feet of each other. This would be something. Just imagine if the Pistons move downtown, having all 4 sporting franchises right next to each other! That would be awesome, and would spur development in that area.

What ever happens, I hope that the Wings new arena is state of the art. There's no excuse for the Wings new home to NOT be the best in the entire league, both for players and fans. I hope that when a rink is finally built, that it blows all other rinks out of the water. Hopefully, it has all of the contemporary features that enhance the venue, yet still has that old school vibe that brings charm. Also it needs to be the biggest venue. 23,000 plus!!!

I cannot wait till this happens.

I hope so. I need another year at the Joe. Why not just fix it up? It doesn't look bad on the outside, and the inside isn't as near as bad as everyone says. Just needs a fresh coat of paint.

I agree. I love the Joe! I have only had the chance to make it there 5 times, I would love to make it to a few more. Both times I went this year I went thinking it would be my last time, its so sad :(

They weren't going to build a new arena in five months. This is for next year, Palace or Joe (if they can sort something temporary out with the city). They're still getting a new arena, but it will probably be like three or four years before it's done.

I guess that does make sense. They would stay in the Joe while the new arena is being built. Brilliant!

But... The Joe... That's their home. :( ...

What makes it even worse is that the new arena will probably have some dumbass name like Shell Gas Station corporation arena or some Godforsaken bulls***. Don't know why I chose Shell, probably because I just refilled my car today.

Renovating the Joe works for me too...So much history and right on the river is a beautiful spot during the playoff months. I am not totally sold on a brand new arena yet. We shall see.

clap.gif If it is the last few years lets send it out in style!

clap.gif If it is the last few years lets send it out in style!

If Nick returns, they should keep it for as long as he wants to play.

Then after he retires rename the new arena as the Nick Yzerman Arena or something like that.

The Olympia was their home for many years too. They moved out of the old barn and into the Joe. Always can get with something new. I visit other arenas and marvel at the wide concourses, the glass, the bathrooms, the vending, it's time to move on up, Wings fans. The Joe is a great building but it can certainly be improved. Even if in the new design they keep the seats the same distance from the ice surface, all that stuff, what happens before you get to your seat is ripe for an upgrade.

But... The Joe... That's their home. :( ...

What makes it even worse is that the new arena will probably have some dumbass name like Shell Gas Station corporation arena or some Godforsaken bulls***. Don't know why I chose Shell, probably because I just refilled my car today.

That's what I can't stand. I love the fact that the name for the arena comes from some piece of Detroit history. The next one will be a corporate name with the fattest wallet.