Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Kirk Maltby, Atlanta Thrasher?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 01:58 PM

this just means when Chicago buys out Hossa and we sign him for $2M he can have his #18 back. Good luck Kirk! You should just retire, but hey, if someone wants to throw a million at him, why not go be a 4th liner somewhere else for a season or two. Maybe he'll sign with a contender and win another before he retires. I could see someone like San Jose picking him up for depth...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#22 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:00 PM

I think he'll get signed here in Detroit. Holland said a month or so ago that he is definitely interested in bringing him back if he wants to play. It'll be a league minimum contract no doubt, and he likely won't play every game, but I do think it'll ultimately get done. If he was a guy looking for $1.5-2 million, no way, but it'll probably be a $500k deal which will likely be very doable. Maltby still can contribute on and off the ice proportional to what his cap hit will be.

Then who do we get rid of ? Draper/Eaves/Miller/Ritolia I don't believe we have enough spots
There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#23 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:10 PM

Amen. Malts would be a perfect leader for the team in Grand Rapids. All of the AHL teams that consistently go deep into the play-offs have veterans who have seen a good part of their career in the NHL. Someone whose very presence in the lockerroom and on the ice commands respect. Grand Rapids has lacked this essential player the past several years. If Detroit wants to develop the young ones, they need to stuff a veteran or two lower in the system.

i disagree. the veterans in the ahl are often tweener players that have success in the ahl but never quite could stick in the nhl. maltby has played over 1000 in the nhl and hasn't played in the ahl since 1995. its not very often you see guys with 15 year nhl careers hanging out in the minors their last few seasons. i think a better example of a typical ahl veteran would be a guy like jason krog; he played in 200 nhl games but they were spread out over many seasons and he has been a pretty consistent producer at the ahl level.

(i do want to say that it wouldn't be the first time this happened, heck bryan smolinski has been slummin it down in the IHL the last 2 years and chelios spent all year in the ahl. i just don't think its as common and necessary as you imply)

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#24 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:11 PM

There's just no room... if they re-sign him, they essentially have to lose Ritola for nothing, as he is out of options... so unless there is a trade in the hopper, I don't see him returning here...

Yeah, it's a room issue. We'd like to have Maltby back, but there's no point right now. When he was injured the team didn't even miss his presence. I love Malts as a player, but there's just no room or need for him right now.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#25 FunkedUp

FunkedUp

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:22 PM

I know people won't like this, but I think the Wings should sign him as the 13th forward at the league minimum.

#26 vangvace

vangvace

no such thing as overkill

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:43 PM

:banana:
I make 1 or 2 posts a week tops. Sometimes they're gold, sometimes they're crap, but the end weight is the same.

http://www.letsgowin...tion=boardrules

#27 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,065 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:15 PM

Then who do we get rid of ? Draper/Eaves/Miller/Ritolia I don't believe we have enough spots

You got me. I hope we keep Eaves and Miller, though I kinda have a sneaking suspicious Miller will sign elsewhere. I really don't know though, and I rarely know with Holland. Like I said, I don't really know how at this point because I don't know what the teams going to look like on July 2nd, but I think there's a good chance that by the end of the summer, Maltby will be signed up for his final year with the Wings to go out with Draper and Osgood.
-Elliot...does not panic.

#28 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:23 PM

You got me. I hope we keep Eaves and Miller, though I kinda have a sneaking suspicious Miller will sign elsewhere. I really don't know though, and I rarely know with Holland. Like I said, I don't really know how at this point because I don't know what the teams going to look like on July 2nd, but I think there's a good chance that by the end of the summer, Maltby will be signed up for his final year with the Wings to go out with Draper and Osgood.

Miller is listed as a arbitration eligible restricted free agent. More than likely, he is staying with the Wings.

#29 hgimn

hgimn

Jr. Prospect

• 26 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:31 PM

I hope that he stays with the Wings in some way whether it's with the Griffin's or as an extra forward brought in for grit.I don't want to picture him in another jersey as it would seem wrong.

#30 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:08 PM

i disagree. the veterans in the ahl are often tweener players that have success in the ahl but never quite could stick in the nhl. maltby has played over 1000 in the nhl and hasn't played in the ahl since 1995. its not very often you see guys with 15 year nhl careers hanging out in the minors their last few seasons. i think a better example of a typical ahl veteran would be a guy like jason krog; he played in 200 nhl games but they were spread out over many seasons and he has been a pretty consistent producer at the ahl level.

(i do want to say that it wouldn't be the first time this happened, heck bryan smolinski has been slummin it down in the IHL the last 2 years and chelios spent all year in the ahl. i just don't think its as common and necessary as you imply)

mike keane. 3 or 4 cups in NHL, playing on the moose for years now.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#31 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,448 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:17 PM

That's true, but players similar to Maltby in terms of calibre are normally retired out of the NHL by now or normally don't stick around as long as he has to begin with. If a player like that wants to continue playing, perhaps the AHL is the best spot...others have done it.

#32 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:04 PM

:banana:

ahahahaha that made me lol alot! I agree it's sad to see him go play for another team but it would be more sad if he couldnt stay in the D and no one else wanted him, so Im happy for him if he goes for sure and good luck Malts
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#33 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:18 PM

I love Malts, but his career as a Red Wing is over. All he can do is kill penalties, otherwise he sucks.

#34 NGKEIB

NGKEIB

eltit rebmem motsuC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 02:52 AM

It's a shame about Maltby, I thought that he had been playing better since he was benched at the end of last season. He was a fixture on the PK with Miller, and frankly I think it's a shame that Draper has another year on his contract, because I would rather keep Maltby...
"Summa pia gratia nostra conservando corpora et custodita, de gente fera Normannica nos libera, quae nostra vastat, Deus, regna."

#35 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:24 AM

I like Maltby but surely his time with the Wings is up?

Time for the youngsters to get larger roles, and hopefully Ritola is around and not lost on waivers.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#36 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:52 AM

I like Maltby but surely his time with the Wings is up?

Time for the youngsters to get larger roles, and hopefully Ritola is around and not lost on waivers.

exactly - the problem is, that Holland has already said that he is targeting a gritty 4th liner to play regularly as well, so unless Bert is not re-signed (which I think he will be) - someone is going to be odd man out anyway(and that's with Malts already out of the equation) as we will already have 13 forwards with that signing and Ritola (or whoever doesn't win a job) would be number 14...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.