• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jeff48109

Winnipeg could get revenge on Bettman

Rate this topic

Would love to see the Winnipeg Jets back for the upcoming season. It would also be great to see a team back in Hartford. The best thing that could happen to the league is for Bettman to go and bring hockey back to traditional markets. Or, maybe Bettman will finally wake his ass up and move the Florida's, Atlanta's, Nashville's of the league back to Hartford, Quebec City, Hamilton, Winnipeg. It's just the right thing to do and would be the best thing that could happen to the NHL.

I just cannot help myself from laughing at everyone involved with the Coyotes.

That said I really hope the franchise moves back to the Peg, and this colossal f***-up leads to the removal of Gary Bettman.

I will take a day off of work to spend the entire day celebrating if this happens...

Would love to see the Winnipeg Jets back for the upcoming season. It would also be great to see a team back in Hartford. The best thing that could happen to the league is for Bettman to go and bring hockey back to traditional markets. Or, maybe Bettman will finally wake his ass up and move the Florida's, Atlanta's, Nashville's of the league back to Hartford, Quebec City, Hamilton, Winnipeg. It's just the right thing to do and would be the best thing that could happen to the NHL.

While I think Hamilton could support it, I don't think the league will do it before of the Sabres. Second team in TO or somehwere else in Southern Ontario would be nice though and could happen one day. The rest of what you said I agree 100% with.

My plan would actually be Yotes back to Winnipeg and Thrashers to Quebec. Then contract Nashville and FLA. I think fewer teams would be better for the on-ice product.

I will take a day off of work to spend the entire day celebrating if this happens...

I would too. I'd be so psyched.

So if this were to happen what division to they play in? I think the Northwest and they move the Canucks to the Pacific. I think you have to try to get the Flames, Oilers and Jets in the same division. BUT knowing the league they'll keep them in the division and have them jumping time zones within their own division like they do with the Stars.

While I think Hamilton could support it, I don't think the league will do it before of the Sabres. Second team in TO or somehwere else in Southern Ontario would be nice though and could happen one day. The rest of what you said I agree 100% with.

My plan would actually be Yotes back to Winnipeg and Thrashers to Quebec. Then contract Nashville and FLA. I think fewer teams would be better for the on-ice product.

I would too. I'd be so psyched.

So if this were to happen what division to they play in? I think the Northwest and they move the Canucks to the Pacific. I think you have to try to get the Flames, Oilers and Jets in the same division. BUT knowing the league they'll keep them in the division and have them jumping time zones within their own division like they do with the Stars.

Getting rid of a few teams wouldn't be bad either. As for the division, I think you would see Winnipeg in the Northwest then The Av's move to the pacific would make sense

That is amazing if they are actually a making a schedule to include Winnipeg. Thats a very good indication IMO. Winnipeg is basically move in ready. It's like a furnished apartment waiting for occupants. They have the rink, fanbase, the billionaire who wants to buy the team. Seems like the league has been preparing for this move for a while now, with a last ditch effort to "save" the yotes.

I think I heard on HNIC that if they got the team they would add 2,500 seats to make it 17,500 which would be plenty since they would sell out every game

If that's the case it would be about the same size as Jobing.com arena but people will actually show up in Winnipeg. I really hope I'm not getting my hopes up with this. It makes too much hockey sense for it to actually happen while Bettman is commish. That's what I keep thinking in the back of my head.

Guest Lidstromboli

would be hilarious if winnipeg had to move their team again in the future

Coolio.

Any idea how they would add 2500 seats? Do they have box seats as well?

The MTS Center was designed with the NHL in mind and room was left to expand the arena. That said, my understanding is that they would not add upper bowl seating, but rather a row of private boxes around the top of the arena, since they obviously create far more revenue than cheap seats.

I'm kind of torn on the issue. I would love for both Winnipeg and Hartford to get teams and realize that teams in the southern half of the US have not done well but I also understand that it is in the NHL's best interest to have hockey nation wide like the other major US sports. Canada while having rabidly loyal fans does not have a big enough population (roughly 33 Million) to keep up, even remotely, with the numbers in the USA (roughly 310 Million) they cannot compete with the other North American sports by having lots of fans in Canada. It may not matter to Canadian fans but the sport will be further removed from ESPN NBC VS (ala Direct TV) and other US outlets because the demand will not be as high. I can't stand Bettman and think he has done a horrible job pretty much all around but don't disagree with him that the NHL cannot thrive if it is a North Eastern US and Canadian sport. His execution is horrible but I think his very basic premise is correct.

Edit: I am talking more about moving the Florida's, Atlanta's, Nashville's (i.e. most of the southern US teams) rather than specifically Phoenix to Winnipeg.

:clap: :clap: QFT

Edited by Frozen-Man

I'm kind of torn on the issue. I would love for both Winnipeg and Hartford to get teams and realize that teams in the southern half of the US have not done well but I also understand that it is in the NHL's best interest to have hockey nation wide like the other major US sports. Canada while having rabidly loyal fans does not have a big enough population (roughly 33 Million) to keep up, even remotely, with the numbers in the USA (roughly 310 Million) they cannot compete with the other North American sports by having lots of fans in Canada. It may not matter to Canadian fans but the sport will be further removed from ESPN NBC VS (ala Direct TV) and other US outlets because the demand will not be as high. I can't stand Bettman and think he has done a horrible job pretty much all around but don't disagree with him that the NHL cannot thrive if it is a North Eastern US and Canadian sport. His execution is horrible but I think his very basic premise is correct.

I understand the idea too but I think we're over-expanded. Two teams in South FLA only 4 hours apart? That's not his fault but is stupid IMO. 4 teams from Nashville to Miami is dumb as well. I get the idea of Nashville. No NBA there so they thought that would benefit them. It hasn't. Dallas has shown they can do ok when playing well. But in terms of TV, no one seems to watch when it's not Crosby, Ovie, the Wings or the Hawks. When the Ducks, a team from one of the biggest TV markets, was in the Finals we had the worst ratings ever for the Cup Finals.

I understand the idea too but I think we're over-expanded. Two teams in South FLA only 4 hours apart? That's not his fault but is stupid IMO. 4 teams from Nashville to Miami is dumb as well. I get the idea of Nashville. No NBA there so they thought that would benefit them. It hasn't. Dallas has shown they can do ok when playing well. But in terms of TV, no one seems to watch when it's not Crosby, Ovie, the Wings or the Hawks. When the Ducks, a team from one of the biggest TV markets, was in the Finals we had the worst ratings ever for the Cup Finals.

Oh I agree with all of that. Incredibly poor implementation and they definitely over expanded. My point was more to the sentiments that we need to get rid of the "Florida's, Atlanta's, Nashville's" of the league. I think a much more gradual approach might have helped as well as better placement. The reason the NHL is not on ESPN and rarely on NBC (or conversely some other US network) is because there is not near as many viewers as the other major US sports. Getting rid of almost all US teams that aren't in the North East won't solve that problem it will only exacerbate it. If the NHL wants to be a smaller niche market (which might not be a bad thing for hard core fans) then leaving half the US with no local hockey team to root for will further accomplish that goal.

Wonder how long they're going to give Phoenix? It seems that despite being "move in ready" Winnipeg would still need time to design and create uniforms, and come up with a new name and do promotions. That is, I'm assuming they would change the team name.

EDIT: Let's say the league did contract, what happens to those players? With the cap world, a lot of them would go unclaimed it seems. Poor players.

But I agree with what was said about taking half the US teams away and expecting it to flourish.

The idea isn't to get rid of every team in a market that isn't hockey friendly, just some. For instance, get rid of the Florida Panthers but keep Tampa Bay. Keep LA and San Jose but get rid of Anaheim (hey, we can dream, right?)

Edited by VM1138

But I agree with what was said about taking half the US teams away and expecting it to flourish.

The idea isn't to get rid of every team in a market that isn't hockey friendly, just some. For instance, get rid of the Florida Panthers but keep Tampa Bay. Keep LA and San Jose but get rid of Anaheim (hey, we can dream, right?)

I agree they over expanded and put some expansions too close to others. The atmosphere for a struggling Tampa Bay would probably be much better if it didn't have to compete with the Panthers for the limited number of Florida hockey fans. And anything to get rid of Anaheim I am always for. :sly:

EDIT: Let's say the league did contract, what happens to those players? With the cap world, a lot of them would go unclaimed it seems. Poor players.

There would never be contraction. 'PA wouldn't allow it. There's too many markets right now that are trying to get teams that the NHL would never get away with contraction.

I don't think it would take long to get jerseys ready. Have to think that they would switch back to the Jets moniker and they could use the old logo if they had to for a year while they got a new jersey designed.