• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:28 PM

Would love to see the Winnipeg Jets back for the upcoming season. It would also be great to see a team back in Hartford. The best thing that could happen to the league is for Bettman to go and bring hockey back to traditional markets. Or, maybe Bettman will finally wake his ass up and move the Florida's, Atlanta's, Nashville's of the league back to Hartford, Quebec City, Hamilton, Winnipeg. It's just the right thing to do and would be the best thing that could happen to the NHL.

I'm kind of torn on the issue. I would love for both Winnipeg and Hartford to get teams and realize that teams in the southern half of the US have not done well but I also understand that it is in the NHL's best interest to have hockey nation wide like the other major US sports. Canada while having rabidly loyal fans does not have a big enough population (roughly 33 Million) to keep up, even remotely, with the numbers in the USA (roughly 310 Million) they cannot compete with the other North American sports by having lots of fans in Canada. It may not matter to Canadian fans but the sport will be further removed from ESPN NBC VS (ala Direct TV) and other US outlets because the demand will not be as high. I can't stand Bettman and think he has done a horrible job pretty much all around but don't disagree with him that the NHL cannot thrive if it is a North Eastern US and Canadian sport. His execution is horrible but I think his very basic premise is correct.

Edit: I am talking more about moving the Florida's, Atlanta's, Nashville's (i.e. most of the southern US teams) rather than specifically Phoenix to Winnipeg.

I will take a day off of work to spend the entire day celebrating if this happens...

:clap: :clap: QFT

Edited by Frozen-Man, 11 May 2010 - 03:30 PM.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#22 StevieY9802

StevieY9802

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:35 PM

I'm kind of torn on the issue. I would love for both Winnipeg and Hartford to get teams and realize that teams in the southern half of the US have not done well but I also understand that it is in the NHL's best interest to have hockey nation wide like the other major US sports. Canada while having rabidly loyal fans does not have a big enough population (roughly 33 Million) to keep up, even remotely, with the numbers in the USA (roughly 310 Million) they cannot compete with the other North American sports by having lots of fans in Canada. It may not matter to Canadian fans but the sport will be further removed from ESPN NBC VS (ala Direct TV) and other US outlets because the demand will not be as high. I can't stand Bettman and think he has done a horrible job pretty much all around but don't disagree with him that the NHL cannot thrive if it is a North Eastern US and Canadian sport. His execution is horrible but I think his very basic premise is correct.

I understand the idea too but I think we're over-expanded. Two teams in South FLA only 4 hours apart? That's not his fault but is stupid IMO. 4 teams from Nashville to Miami is dumb as well. I get the idea of Nashville. No NBA there so they thought that would benefit them. It hasn't. Dallas has shown they can do ok when playing well. But in terms of TV, no one seems to watch when it's not Crosby, Ovie, the Wings or the Hawks. When the Ducks, a team from one of the biggest TV markets, was in the Finals we had the worst ratings ever for the Cup Finals.

#23 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:50 PM

I understand the idea too but I think we're over-expanded. Two teams in South FLA only 4 hours apart? That's not his fault but is stupid IMO. 4 teams from Nashville to Miami is dumb as well. I get the idea of Nashville. No NBA there so they thought that would benefit them. It hasn't. Dallas has shown they can do ok when playing well. But in terms of TV, no one seems to watch when it's not Crosby, Ovie, the Wings or the Hawks. When the Ducks, a team from one of the biggest TV markets, was in the Finals we had the worst ratings ever for the Cup Finals.

Oh I agree with all of that. Incredibly poor implementation and they definitely over expanded. My point was more to the sentiments that we need to get rid of the "Florida's, Atlanta's, Nashville's" of the league. I think a much more gradual approach might have helped as well as better placement. The reason the NHL is not on ESPN and rarely on NBC (or conversely some other US network) is because there is not near as many viewers as the other major US sports. Getting rid of almost all US teams that aren't in the North East won't solve that problem it will only exacerbate it. If the NHL wants to be a smaller niche market (which might not be a bad thing for hard core fans) then leaving half the US with no local hockey team to root for will further accomplish that goal.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#24 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,564 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:06 PM

Wonder how long they're going to give Phoenix? It seems that despite being "move in ready" Winnipeg would still need time to design and create uniforms, and come up with a new name and do promotions. That is, I'm assuming they would change the team name.

EDIT: Let's say the league did contract, what happens to those players? With the cap world, a lot of them would go unclaimed it seems. Poor players.

But I agree with what was said about taking half the US teams away and expecting it to flourish.

The idea isn't to get rid of every team in a market that isn't hockey friendly, just some. For instance, get rid of the Florida Panthers but keep Tampa Bay. Keep LA and San Jose but get rid of Anaheim (hey, we can dream, right?)

Edited by VM1138, 11 May 2010 - 04:08 PM.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#25 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:13 PM

But I agree with what was said about taking half the US teams away and expecting it to flourish.

The idea isn't to get rid of every team in a market that isn't hockey friendly, just some. For instance, get rid of the Florida Panthers but keep Tampa Bay. Keep LA and San Jose but get rid of Anaheim (hey, we can dream, right?)

I agree they over expanded and put some expansions too close to others. The atmosphere for a struggling Tampa Bay would probably be much better if it didn't have to compete with the Panthers for the limited number of Florida hockey fans. And anything to get rid of Anaheim I am always for. :sly:

#26 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,678 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:15 PM

EDIT: Let's say the league did contract, what happens to those players? With the cap world, a lot of them would go unclaimed it seems. Poor players.

There would never be contraction. 'PA wouldn't allow it. There's too many markets right now that are trying to get teams that the NHL would never get away with contraction.

I don't think it would take long to get jerseys ready. Have to think that they would switch back to the Jets moniker and they could use the old logo if they had to for a year while they got a new jersey designed.

#27 lookalive07

lookalive07

--19--

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:18 PM

This happens and the team is called the Jets again, I'm buying a jersey.

Posted Image

#28 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:20 PM

there won't be a contraction. too many lost jobs, the players association will step in. its much easier to expand. when was the last time any of the major leagues in the United States contracted? it's a great idea in theory, but almost impossible to implemet

#29 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:24 PM

Tonight might be the night.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#30 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,678 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:24 PM

there won't be a contraction. too many lost jobs, the players association will step in. its much easier to expand. when was the last time any of the major leagues in the United States contracted? it's a great idea in theory, but almost impossible to implemet

I guess you could say the merger of the Minnesota North Stars & Cleveland Barons was a contraction of sorts.

#31 BlakKy

BlakKy

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:49 PM

Wonder how long they're going to give Phoenix? It seems that despite being "move in ready" Winnipeg would still need time to design and create uniforms, and come up with a new name and do promotions. That is, I'm assuming they would change the team name.

Posted Image

Name and logo look alright to me. Maybe just very minor updating... this is the same franchise after all.

#32 Michgal89

Michgal89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:54 PM

Posted Image
The cup presides within our town, we won't stop, no letting down...
Don't stop Believing! LET'S GO WINGS!!!

#33 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:01 PM

I guess you could say the merger of the Minnesota North Stars & Cleveland Barons was a contraction of sorts.

that was more than 30 years ago? i doubt its going to happen ever again, unless a team goes bankrupt and no one saves the team

#34 StevieY9802

StevieY9802

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:18 PM

Well for contraction there would be the opposite of an expansion draft and then teams could buyout other players.

And what you said is righ, too many teams in non-traditional markets. I'd keep Tampa and get rid of FLA and keep LA and get rid of the Ducks. You don't need two teams in LA. The NHL was stupid back in the early 90's. they saw hockey working in LA with Gretzky and said hey it'll work in other places. Yeah if you can make 4 more #99's to play in those markets.

Everyone who said the NHL won't contract is right. The PA won't let it. Expansion is stupid though. The rumor of 1/3 of NHL franchises could be up for sale in the next couple of years should make them think twice about expansion. Fix what we have first.

#35 Jibbajaba

Jibbajaba

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:01 AM

City of Glendale voted to cover the Coyotes' losses for next year, so they aren't going anywhere just yet. It blows my mind that in this economy, a municipality that's already in the red would agree to do that.

http://www.google.co...o9V5NgD9FL2NV81

Hopefully at some point the league rights itself by getting teams out of weak markets and back where they belong.

Chris

it must be tough to skate with flippers and a snorkel cause these ******* be divin'

#36 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,671 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:14 AM

If I were a taxpayer in Glendale - I'd be 1 very unhappy camper.

Seems fitting though - morons running the NHL are in cahoots with morons running a city...Can't understand how Balsillie was deemed the "bad guy" in all of this when ya look at what's taking place now.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#37 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:46 AM

15,000 seams like a small arena. But whatevs.

if it's gonna work here in the peg, there's gonna have to be some inner construction to add atleast 2000 more seats, which may be hard, but feasible. with the 20+ mil the coyotes lose each year, you can take a small chunk of that and do the job. and thomson's 19 billion can get it done with nothing more than pocket change.

winnipeg is alot different than it was 15 years ago, but still i talked to a guy at work today and he said that 2 Winnipeg radio stations said the deal already fell through to get the team back here. so hopefully the radio stations are just blowing misinformed smoke out their asses.

as for merchandise...if they do come back here, they had BETTER be called the Jets again, as Jets merchandise is still sold here and everyone has it. and everyone will go crazy buying more if they move back.

but still, the council in glendale has to do their vote and then if a decision is made to move them to the peg, there's the serious job of adding seats to the arena, selling season tickets and press boxes (if it's not already in the works) and all the financial and upper management and marketing s*** that needs to be sorted out. and we all know how long that s*** takes.

i for one would love to throw an octopus on the ice at the MTS centre! though for the life of me i don't know where to find one here...

Well for contraction there would be the opposite of an expansion draft and then teams could buyout other players.

And what you said is righ, too many teams in non-traditional markets. I'd keep Tampa and get rid of FLA and keep LA and get rid of the Ducks. You don't need two teams in LA. The NHL was stupid back in the early 90's. they saw hockey working in LA with Gretzky and said hey it'll work in other places. Yeah if you can make 4 more #99's to play in those markets.

Everyone who said the NHL won't contract is right. The PA won't let it. Expansion is stupid though. The rumor of 1/3 of NHL franchises could be up for sale in the next couple of years should make them think twice about expansion. Fix what we have first.

but...but the mighty ducks had a movie. and charlie conway and adam banks...goldberg the goalie. the team can play at disney world or some s*** like that.

so they threw a team in anaheim. great inspiration NHL. way to go.

Posted Image

Name and logo look alright to me. Maybe just very minor updating... this is the same franchise after all.

no updating! the jets uniform is badass. maybe go with darker blue and red to make the jerseys slightly more modern and mean, but the symbol stays! get rid of thef****** puppy and put the jet back.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#38 BlakKy

BlakKy

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:13 PM

no updating! the jets uniform is badass. maybe go with darker blue and red to make the jerseys slightly more modern and mean, but the symbol stays! get rid of thef****** puppy and put the jet back.

Yea tahts the kind of updating I'm sort of forseeing. Plus the RBK jerseys will help to give it a modern look anyways.

#39 Four

Four

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:24 PM

Maybe less blue in the Jets jerseys to keep with the phoenix theme

O.o

#40 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:06 PM

No contraction needed. Every 10 years the bottom 5 teams in revenue just move. The "Carousel rule". It ends all the drama. Plus, every city lobbying for a team will eventually have one. What the hell.

Posted Image