• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:40 PM

While I think Hamilton could support it, I don't think the league will do it before of the Sabres. Second team in TO or somehwere else in Southern Ontario would be nice though and could happen one day. The rest of what you said I agree 100% with.

My plan would actually be Yotes back to Winnipeg and Thrashers to Quebec. Then contract Nashville and FLA. I think fewer teams would be better for the on-ice product.

Or move the Panthers to Seattle and/or Portland, so the folks there can stop supporting the Nucks/california teams.

I think it's funny. The Jet's last game in Winnipeg was a loss in the playoffs to Detroit. I'd love if Winnipeg is back for next year. Thus Phoenix's last game was a loss in the playoffs to Detroit.

#42 CMatt89

CMatt89

The REAL great one...

• PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:42 PM

To make money, you have to have fans. To have fans, don't try to find cold weather sports fans in a desert. Phoenix, Florida, Nashville, Atlanta...Get rid of them. Too many teams means too many medium quality players which brings continuously lousy teams, which brings in no money. Less teams..in better cities, means more money, and true fans. Remember exciting hockey?

Teams that should be removed or relocated (original location) from the league:
Columbus, Nashville, Florida, Tampa Bay, NY Islanders, Carolina, Atlanta

Winnipeg, Hamilton, Quebec could see new teams.

26 teams, 13 per conference. Home and Home with each team in opposing conference (26 games) 2 home, 2 away games with each team in conference (52 games) remaining 4 games would be extra intra-divisional games.

Fans will get to see every team at least twice.

Wishful thinking is fun! Too bad it'll never happen

Also, with less teams...That means less players in the league, which also means the skill level will rise in both the NHL and AHL. Teams will be better, players in minor leagues will be better suited for pro's with a more skilled talent pool in the minors to help with development. Imagine a league filled with a balance of skill and heart and soul players? Violence in hockey could decline due to skill, talent, and hard work being more of a key factor in getting to the NHL. Instead of having teams with 4 or 5 stars on their team and having teams with none...it will balance out. There is too many AHL level players packed on teams, while other teams are jammed with money hungry stars. I think less teams would be greater then a salary cap.

Also, too many teams miss the playoffs each year...too many teams continuously miss the playoffs each year as well.

Edited by CMatt89, 12 May 2010 - 06:17 PM.

#43 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:18 PM

The Blue Jackets and the Islanders should stay. As far as the others, move them to where they were from, or new cities that have proven hockey interest.

#44 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:15 PM

I'm always amused by the "Bettman f***ed up when he moved the team from Winnipeg to Phoenix" stuff.

Yes, the Coyotes have not exactly been a huge success, but here's a history lesson and a lesson in NHL procedure for everyone in this thread since everyone here seems to not understand how it works:

Winnipeg was failing miserably since joining the NHL.

Between the WHA/NHL merger and the move, its attendance peaked close to 15,500 and averaged closer to 12,500, which was well below what all other teams were doing.

The Jets were not "Moved by Bettman" as everyone here seems to idiotically think. The Jets were put up for sale, and eventually sold via the official NHL procedure to owners who wanted to move them to Phoenix. The team was moved after playing one final season in Winnipeg.

Team sale requires approval of the NHL Board of Governors; in other words all of the other owners vote and a majority must approve the sale or it's a no-go; see the Balsillie circus for this.

Team relocation requires a BoG vote. There is typically a relocation fee and a waiting period; the only recent team to move without playing at least one season after being sold were the Quebec Nordiques/Colorado Avalanche, who were sold due to financial issues almost immediately after being eliminated from the playoffs in 1995 and moved to Denver that summer.

Winnipeg did not lose its team because Bettman wanted to move a Canadian team to a southern American city as so many of you Bettman-haters feel. The Jets moved because Winnipeg simply could not support the Jets anymore.

Sorry, but that's the facts.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#45 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:06 PM

Take your logic elsewhere, sir. It has no place in a "Bettman is evil and Canada needs all 30 teams" thread.
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg