• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Shaman

Mike Babcock expects 70 points from Hudler

Rate this topic

"Well, I think it's 70 points," Babcock said Monday when asked about Hudler's return from Russia next season. "That's 70 points we didn't have. That's a second power-play unit that can score. It's more goals for everyone because of the plays he can make.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100512/SPORTS05/5120370/1053/sports05/Babcock-expects-70-pts.-for-Hudler

I personally think Happy can hit 70 points.

Does that mean Babcock might actually play Hudler... say in key situations where the Wings need a goal (as opposed to renowned goal scorers like Draper and Kopecky (last year)), and give him more than 2 games at a time on the second line?

Because I just don't see Hudler, or anyone, scoring 70 pts with 12-13 minutes of ice time.

If he actually plays Hudler consistently, and as a top 6 guy, he definitely has the potential to hit 70 points if not more. The guy nearly got 60 with minimal minutes last year and he's had those long droughts when he was all nervous about getting traded the last couple years. If Babcock gives him a real opportunity and he makes the most of it from the get go, he won't have to worry about being traded this time around and again, just more minutes and time with better guys will only lead to good things. The guy knows how to put up points. He'll likely cause a good deal of stress in our end, but hey, sometimes you've got to give some to get some.

It's really up to him to make the most of the opportunity. He's got the skills, and he's going to get a shot. If he can pony up, he'll have a very, very good offensive season.

I wouldnt be shaocked if he put up 80pts, now playing on top 2 lines all season with top players. Not to mention the fact the he is probably going to want to make a point with everyone saying how he isnt as good as everyone makes him out to be and about him bailing on the Wings.

LINE 1 Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Hudler

LINE 2 Bertuzzi-Flipulla-Franzen

LINE 3 Miller-Abdelkader-Cleary/Holmstrom

LINE 4 Eaves-Helm-Draper/Maltby(is he coming back???cause i hope not lol)

D 1 Lidstrom-Ericsson

D 2 Ralfalski-Stuart

D 3 Lilja-Kronwall

Kindl

G 1 Howard

G 2 Osgood (Larsson?)

Depending what happens this offseason I like Huds up front, and Hank and Pasha have to be together all the time. The can get it back and we'll have enough chemistry on those other lines as well. Not to mention the boost from seeing Z and D making magic! Huds on the first line would be like Sammy thi season I feel. He has a great shot and who else to feed him them Zetterberg and Datsyuk?

We hardly got 70 points from our top 2 players this year.

Babcock is reaching too far here. At least he didn't say he expected 10 fighting majors out of him this season also.

Eva, why did you have to give me a minus for dogging on your boy? :hehe:

Anyone who expects Hudler to score 70 points has never seen him in a Red Wings uniform. Last time he was here, he was disappearing in the playoffs after Mike Brown laid him out.

Edited by GMRwings1983

We go 70 points from Z and D because of all the new guys and injuries this season, and do you really have Ericcson on the top D unit ?

Franzen-Zetterberg-Holmstrom

Bertuzzi-Datsyuk-Hudler

Cleary-Filppula-Helm

Eaves-Abdelkader-Ritola

Stuart-Rafalski

Kronwall-Lidstrom

Lilja-Ericcson

Kindl

Thats 3 solid lines plus then we can run 3 lines throughout the game where some teams cut it to 2 in tough times. plus a great 4th line

I want to see a bonafide Big Line; one that strikes fear into the hearts and minds of all other teams:

LINE 1 Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Franzen

LINE 2 Bertuzzi-Flipulla-Hudler

LINE 3 Miller-Abdelkader-Cleary/Holmstrom

LINE 4 Eaves-Helm-Draper/Maltby

How awesome would Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Franzen be together.

Bertuzzi will get 45 pts...but in a Maple Leaf jersey. After all, it's that time of year where Burkee offers him $4m per for 2 more years.

I'd like to see him back, but money talks.

Bert has said he wants to stay with the Wings and he knows we dont have a ton of cap space, so obviously he knows hes not getting a ton if he stays but there is no way we are keeping Miller and Eaves its going to be Eaves that stays so with the money they are saving from Miller and Williams leaving they should be able to put something together for Bert.

We go 70 points from Z and D because of all the new guys and injuries this season, and do you really have Ericcson on the top D unit ?

Yes I do lol, only because I have strong hope for Ericsson, he was one of our best D men in last years run. Bob Mckenzie said "This kid is a future Norris trophey winner!" in one of the intermissions. He was playing with Lids so he obiously helped make him look great but seriously he played as close to mistake free hockey as you can get. Bad year this past but even Babcock said he must now step up again because he's shown what he can do.

I did however forget about Ritola when doing combos! and you put him with Eaves and Abby, thats an awesome call :thumbup:

Edited by 13dangledangle

Its a big reach to think Happy gets 70 but I do believe 70+ out Pavs and Hank for sure. Stay healthy Franzen and pretend its the playoffs all year and we may have something. 55 or 60 range for Huds and then maybe get that one hard working player that would love to wear a Wings uniform(which should be anyone) for the right amount of money; maybe Lombardi. I don't do line combo posts because thats for Babs to do, it just gives me a headache but I think things look up for next year. Barring those dreaded injuries of course.

Bert has said he wants to stay with the Wings

I like Bertuzzi on the Wings, but I'm just saying; we heard that from him just before he went to join Burkee in Anaheim.

I hope we get him, and get him for less than $2m.

I do hope Ericcson turns out to be the D we all want him to be but i think the top pairing is to much pressure for him, right now anyways, i remember McKenzie saying that to. I wouldnt mind giving Bert 2-2.5 max to stay we can use his size thats for sure and he will defintly chip in a bunch of points. Didnt Hudler have 57pts playing limited min on the 3rd-4th lines and some PP time? i think playing full time top 2 lines there is no reason he doesnt hit 70

We hardly got 70 points from our top 2 players this year.

Babcock is reaching too far here. At least he didn't say he expected 10 fighting majors out of him this season also.

Eva, why did you have to give me a minus for dogging on your boy? :hehe:

Anyone who expects Hudler to score 70 points has never seen him in a Red Wings uniform. Last time he was here, he was disappearing in the playoffs after Mike Brown laid him out.

I didn't hit you with a minus, GMR. I ignore that s***.

As for the topic, Hudler has as much scoring ability as anyone on the Wings when given the ice time. Only Datsyuk is a better playmaker on the whole team, and he is one of the team's best pure goal scorers. He creates his own scoring opportunities and opens up chances for his linemates. He sees the ice like few can. 70 is definitely not out of reach. Go back and watch how he ran that second PP unit some time.

I didn't hit you with a minus, GMR. I ignore that s***.

As for the topic, Hudler has as much scoring ability as anyone on the Wings when given the ice time. Only Datsyuk is a better playmaker on the whole team, and he is one of the team's best pure goal scorers. He creates his own scoring opportunities and opens up chances for his linemates. He sees the ice like few can. 70 is definitely not out of reach. Go back and watch how he ran that second PP unit some time.

Wow, I'm surprised someone else here besides you sees him scoring 70 points.

Everytime we have a thread like this on LGW, something bad happens. Last year we had a "Will Franzen get 50 Goals" thread, and we've had a Zetterberg thread that was the same and of course that "Will Datsyuk Get 100 points" thread.

If those guys couldn't reach their fantasized projections, I can't see Hudler doing it. He's never hit 70 points, and now we may not have Lidstrom back next year and Hank and Pavel barely hit 70 this year. I just don't see it. If he hits 50 points, I say that's a pleasant surprise and a success.