• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
rick zombo

Holland Targets Gritty 4th Liner

Rate this topic

Taken from MLive:

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/05/grading_the_red_wings_team_nee.html

Detroit Red Wings general manager Ken Holland is happy with the talented core of forwards who comprise his top two lines. And he'll be delighted with his top four defensemen if Nicklas Lidstrom returns.

Holland's focus is shoring up the bottom portion of the roster. And it won't take many moves to do that.

His main goal is acquiring a hard-nosed, physical -- but relatively cheap -- fourth-line grinder in the mold of Dallas Drake, who filled that role well during their Stanley Cup run in 2008.

"There's three or four big-name guys, we're not in that market,'' Holland said. "We're looking for support guys. We'd like to get a little grittier on the fourth line, get somebody who's a pain to play against, who'll get in on the forecheck. Someone we can put in there in the playoffs and he's got enough skill and he's a factor because of his physical play.

"But everybody is looking for those guys.''

Let's start throwing some names around. I'll go first:

Arron Asham

Shawn Thorton

Brad Winchester

Eric Boulton

As much as I despise the flyers I really do enjoy Asham... He is a tough character who hits and will throw them if he has too... I am on my phone so I don't know 100% about size but from what I remember he isn't huge... But on the faster side which I think Holland would lead towards over just a big goon like enforcer...

I also like Shawn thronton but don't get to see him play as much so I don't know how offensively inclinded he is... If anybody could elaborate more on some of the other names... Maybe some pros and cons that would be greatly apprciated....

Could this mean Miller is out?

Possibly. Or maybe Ritola doesn't make the cut.

Z-Dats-Homer

Mule - Fil - Cleary

Eaves - Helm - Hudler

UFA - Abby - Draper

Miller

If they re-sign Bertuzzi then things get more complex.

Edit: This is what I'd like to see.

Z- Dats - Homer

Mule - Fil - Hudler

Bertuzzi - Helm - Cleary

Thorton - Abby - Eaves

Draper

Edited by rick zombo

Holland said, as of now, he plans to make qualifying offers to all his restricted free agents, thereby retaining their rights. The list includes forwards Darren Helm, Justin Abdelkader, Patrick Eaves, Drew Miller and Mattias Ritola. That constitutes the bulk of their third and fourth lines.

Edited by Hockeymom1960

Holland said, as of now, he plans to make qualifying offers to all his restricted free agents, thereby retaining their rights. The list includes forwards Darren Helm, Justin Abdelkader, Patrick Eaves, Drew Miller and Mattias Ritola. That constitutes the bulk of their third and fourth lines.

He can still choose not to sign them. Or they can be waived or traded.

Guest Heaten

Wouldn't that also include Meech?

Guest Heaten

Sounds like, from the Mlive article, that Holmstrom is certainly going to return and Bertuzzi is probable. Lebda and Williams are surely gone. Sounds like Wings will have a scoring 3rd line, unlike last season. His objective is to bulk up the 4th line.

I guess the inside meaning to the comment below is who don't accept his qualifying offer can walk. Because obvioulsy Holland has too many bottom 6 forwards, and in order to bulk up the 4th line means a couple need to go. Especially if Bertuzzi and Holmstrom re-sign.

Guest blueadams

Here's what's going to happen, in order:

#1) Holland's going to make "qualifying offers" to all of his restricted free agents: Helm, Abdelkader, Eaves, Miller, Ritola, and Meech.

#2) Holland's going to resign these unrestricted free agents: Lidstrom, Holmstrom, and Bertuzzi.

#3) Holland's going to sign a 4th line grinder.

#4) Holland's going to resign Lilja if there's enough cap space left...if not...he'll sign someone similar.

#5) Holland's going to trade either Miller or Ritola to get to the 24 man limit.

Filppula-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Zetterberg-Bertuzzi

Hudler-Helm-Cleary

F.A.(?)-Abdelkader-Eaves

Miller

Ritola

Draper

Lidstrom-Kronwall

Stuart-Rafalski

Kindl-Ericsson

Lilja

Meech

Howard

Osgood

Guest Heaten

I don't think a gritty forward is needed if most of our RFAs come back (assuming Holmstrom and Bertuzzi re-sign).

Franzen - Datsyuk - Holmstrom

Filppula - Zetterberg - Bertuzzi

Hudler - Ritola - Eaves/Cleary

Abdelkader - Helm - Cleary/Eaves

13th forward = Draper

Miller is gone.

I have a feeling Ritola is going to remind us of a Filppula 2.0. The kid sees the ice really well, strong on the puck and in the corners, and can set up Hudler for the one-timer.

Wow that really shocked the hell out of me, the last thing I thought we needed was more fourth liners. We have more then our roster holds as it is <_< but as far as they go Id pick Winchester or and some of you may go :scared: ...Wade Belak I love, he was loved in TO and I like that he plays forward or D for the price tag. Though Id still like to land Afinoganov instead :thumbup: Goals please lol

Holland says this every year.

Here's what's going to happen, in order:

#1) Holland's going to make "qualifying offers" to all of his restricted free agents: Helm, Abdelkader, Eaves, Miller, Ritola, and Meech.

#2) Holland's going to resign these unrestricted free agents: Lidstrom, Holmstrom, and Bertuzzi.

#3) Holland's going to sign a 4th line grinder.

#4) Holland's going to resign Lilja if there's enough cap space left...if not...he'll sign someone similar.

#5) Holland's going to trade either Miller or Ritola to get to the 24 man limit.

Filppula-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Zetterberg-Bertuzzi

Hudler-Helm-Cleary

F.A.(?)-Abdelkader-Eaves

Miller

Ritola

Draper

Lidstrom-Kronwall

Stuart-Rafalski

Kindl-Ericsson

Lilja

Meech

Howard

Osgood

I can't see him re-signing Lilja if it costs having to trade Miller or Ritola. That would make no sense at all, imo.

I know the front office isnt going to tip its hand and I know they say this every offseason, but this makes me want to bang my head against the wall. The defense was awful this year. Just getting Lidstrom back isnt enough in my mind. Its only going to get worse by replacing Lilja with Kindl. Also, our third line was dreadful. We played with two fourth lines the entire season and now we want to add another fourth liner.

Helm and Abdelkader should be plenty enough grit for the fourth line. The only way I'm okay with this is if they want to add a fourth line guy in place of Miller and Ritola.

Edited by wingsownnhl43

Guest blueadams

i dont think theres much of a chance of ritola being our third line center...

If we cant afford Lilja for our 5th-6th dman we could throw Janik or OKT in there. They both have plenty of NHL experience and from what I have seen I dont understand why Janik is still in the minors.

Guest micah

This won't be popular, but I'd love to see Holland give Georges Laraque a call and say "Hey Georges - you want one last shot at the NHL? Are you willing to shut your stupid mouth and play exactly the syle of hockey Babs tells you to play without complaint - if he says "go get him" you tear some MFer's head off and if he says "play hockey" you screen the net like nobody's business and hit everything that moves as hard as you can (within the rules, natch) without regard to who they are or how sorry you feel for them - because if you're willing to swallow your stupid-ass pride and start doing a job instead of doing whatever you feel like, I have a 4th line LW spot with your name on it".

Edited by micah

How about

Asham

Burrish

Mair

Thornton

Begin

I hope to god he doesn't bring in Matt Cooke

I'd take any of those players.

Asham would top that list for me, and then we should also add a legitimate heavy on top of that. That would make us a tougher team to play against.

Top 6 will probably stay unchanged, since there isn't much out there that we can pursue, thus the bottom 6 forwards are all Holland can look for.