• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
rick zombo

Holland Targets Gritty 4th Liner

Rate this topic

I dont mind not having a fighter on this team at all to be honest, we have the potential on this roster to not need and go out and get another gritty guy. If guys like Eaves,Helm,Draper,Cleary would go out there and do what they are supposed to do we are not in this situation. Lets be honest here Cleary,Eaves,Draper,Helm are not on this team to score us 50 goals, they are here to punish other players every shift by grinding them down and hitting, but it seems Abby is the only guy we can reply on to do this every shift. i think the last thing we need is another gritty 4th liner but we could use another big 3rd line power forward. I actually like Thornton over Asham only because he seems to scrap a little more and finishes alot more checks and could probably get him a little cheaper to.

Franzen-Zetterberg-Holmstrom

Bertuzzi-Datsyuk-Hudler

Cleary-Filppula-Helm

Eaves-Abdlerkader-Thornton(but i would love to see Ritola in this spot)

I'd take any of those players.

Asham would top that list for me, and then we should also add a legitimate heavy on top of that. That would make us a tougher team to play against.

Top 6 will probably stay unchanged, since there isn't much out there that we can pursue, thus the bottom 6 forwards are all Holland can look for.

Asham and a heavyweight would be amazing.Here's my list of players i'd be happy with:

Shawn Thornton

Krys Barch

Arron Asham

Adam Mair

Brandon Prust

Eric Boulton

Raffi Torres

Steve Begin

Zenon Konopka

Andrew Peters

Brian McGrattan

Jody Shelley

Scott Nichol

Brian Sutherby

Kyle Chipchura

Ryan Johnson

Derek Boogaard

Brad Winchester

Colin Fraser

Darcy Hordichuk

Cam Janssen

Jared Boll

Ben Eager

David Koci

Nate Thompson

Tim Jackman

Aaron Voros

Brian Boyle

Adam Burish

Byron Bitz

Josh Gratton

Jamal Mayers

David Clarkson

Jason Chimera

Although goons like McGrattan,Janssen,and Koci are unlikely to be signed,theyre worth mentioning.There's plenty of muscle available this offseason.

McGrattan is a buddy of mine i know he would love to play for a team with history like the Wings,I was also thinking Raffi Torres but Holland says cheap and Torres is defintly worth his money but i dont know how much Holland wants to spend but i would love him in the line-up he does it all.

I really see no reason for this move in the off-season.

This team can do just fine in the regular season, so I say he sticks with what we have (unless he can find an impact forward) and wait until the trade deadline to see what the teams' situation is then.

I hope Abdelkader turns into the McCarty-Maltby fusion they seem to be molding him into. Get a gritty guy along side him and we got a pretty dangerous 4th line.

Question for all those out there aware of who is and who isn't a free agent.

I was just thinking that maybe the Wings can package two players (Miller and Ritola) for example and package them into a sign and trade. For example, this deal will never ever happen for so many reasons but what possible deals are out there along the lines of say, Miller and Ritola for Troy Brouwer? Again, I'm perfectly aware that deal will never happen, but is something like it possible with the crop of free agents in 2010 or 2011?

Miller was instrumental in the resurrection of the PK and Eaves was very important too. However, neither performed particularly well in the playoffs (although Eaves was injured), so that throws a wrench in the works.

I really doubt we'd get someone better than Miller or Eaves for the money. Both have upside and age on their side. Both are RFA's as well so they're likely to be re-signed. The Wings really like Ritola's upside, well-rounded game, hockey IQ, and hands. Ritola should get real ice time next season and will have to play his way off the 4th line (which certainly isn't impossible).

Here's what's going to happen, in order:

#1) Holland's going to make "qualifying offers" to all of his restricted free agents: Helm, Abdelkader, Eaves, Miller, Ritola, and Meech.

#2) Holland's going to resign these unrestricted free agents: Lidstrom, Holmstrom, and Bertuzzi.

#3) Holland's going to sign a 4th line grinder.

#4) Holland's going to resign Lilja if there's enough cap space left...if not...he'll sign someone similar.

#5) Holland's going to trade either Miller or Ritola to get to the 24 man limit.

Filppula-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Zetterberg-Bertuzzi

Hudler-Helm-Cleary

F.A.(?)-Abdelkader-Eaves

Miller

Ritola

Draper

Lidstrom-Kronwall

Stuart-Rafalski

Kindl-Ericsson

Lilja

Meech

Howard

Osgood

24 huh? I was unaware the league raised the limit from 23...

:cool:

I said we need an enforcer on the 4th line. Everything else will be ok.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Hudler-Franzen-Filppula

Cleary-Abdelkader-Eaves/UFA

Draper-Helm-Eaves/UFA

+ Miller, Ritola

An enforcer would be nice, but I'd be happy with a forth line that can play big minutes in the other teams end and wear down their defense.

An enforcer would be nice, but I'd be happy with a forth line that can play big minutes in the other teams end and wear down their defense.

I would like to see us make a run at Evgeny Artyukhin... I wonder if he could be had for a 1mil or less... he made 950k last year... I think he'd be a great addition...

EDIT - I see us tendering offers to all of our RFA's and then trading away at least a couple of them, or not signing them, because if we even sign ONE FA in this off season that's not already on our roster, we are out of roster spots... someone has to be odd man out, I wonder if Ritola will be a Red Wing next year and if his one game in the playoffs/end of the year stint raised his trade value... I can't see him cracking the roster next year...

Edited by stevkrause

Just out of curiosity, anyone know if Max Lapierre is a free agent? I love that guy. He can score and he's a great agitator.

Monteal had guys like Moen and Laraque to protect him from getting murdered.

Aside from Lilja who doesn't fight anymore, who do we have that could protect Lapierre the first time he runs someone face first into the boards?