• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
rick zombo

Holland Targets Gritty 4th Liner

Rate this topic

add me to the list that would love to see prust here. i saw for a whole season 2 years ago in the ahl, he's a good guy. i think he has enough fighting experience to help pacify those that are looking for that aspect as well; additionally, he can skate a pretty decent energy checking shift. one unfortunate thing is he had 5 point in his last 6 games to end up with 14 for the season. while its nothing astronomical, it might be enough to drive his price up a bit.

Monteal had guys like Moen and Laraque to protect him from getting murdered.

Aside from Lilja who doesn't fight anymore, who do we have that could protect Lapierre the first time he runs someone face first into the boards?

While I agree with you to a certain extent, Laraque played very little in his time with Montreal. I think Lapierre could defend himself.

I would love to get Chris Neil from Ottawa hes not the biggest guy but would be perfect tough guy to play against,hits,fights and he chipped in with 22 points this season in 60 some odd games.

Wasn't he a free agent last season? I feel like he's way overpaid for his 22 points.

I said we need an enforcer on the 4th line. Everything else will be ok.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Hudler-Franzen-Filppula

Cleary-Abdelkader-Eaves/UFA

Draper-Helm-Eaves/UFA

+ Miller, Ritola

You know... Jarkko Ruutu will be a free agent not this year but the year after I believe.

As many have pointed out there isn't much space left for another 4th liner. I've understood that with this Holland wants to have competition in the training camp and the one whose left out will be waived and if not claimed will play in Grand Rapids. A bit like Kris Newbury and Jeremy Williams a year ago. It's a reminder for players that they have to earn their spots in the line-up every season and every game.

Bertuzzi and Holmström will probably be back so there's those two, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzén, Filppula, Hudler and Cleary who have quite secure spots. Now there's four spots left for seven players: Helm, Abdelkader, Ritola, Draper, Eaves, Miller and the unknown new UFA signee.

I'd say something like this:

Franzén - Datsyuk - Holmström

Filppula - Zetterberg - Hudler

Bertuzzi - Helm - Cleary

Eaves - Abdelkader - Miller

+ Draper and Ritola

As many have pointed out there isn't much space left for another 4th liner. I've understood that with this Holland wants to have competition in the training camp and the one whose left out will be waived and if not claimed will play in Grand Rapids. A bit like Kris Newbury and Jeremy Williams a year ago. It's a reminder for players that they have to earn their spots in the line-up every season and every game.

Bertuzzi and Holmström will probably be back so there's those two, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzén, Filppula, Hudler and Cleary who have quite secure spots. Now there's four spots left for seven players: Helm, Abdelkader, Ritola, Draper, Eaves, Miller and the unknown new UFA signee.

I'd say something like this:

Franzén - Datsyuk - Holmström

Filppula - Zetterberg - Hudler

Bertuzzi - Helm - Cleary

Eaves - Abdelkader - Miller

+ Draper and Ritola

Franzen-Zetterberg-Holmstrom

Fippula-Datsyuk-Hudler

Bertuzzi-Helm-Cleary

Eaves-Abdlekader-Ritola

Draper,Tatar

i like your lines but i would leave Zetterberg and Franzen together they seem to have great chemistry, and i actually dont think Miller is back next season if he is though id let him draper and Ritola fight it out, id like to save the few hundred thousand that we would give to Miller and let Ritola fight for that spot

Brandon Prust is the perfect fourth line player but I'm thinking he'll re-sign in New York after being traded 3 times over the last year.

Chris Higgins was pretty gritty in his short time with the Flames, not sure if he would sign in a place planning to throw him on the fourth line, would be pretty cheap as he has had two bad years in a row. In the case of injuries he could be thrown on a third or second line.

David Moss could be developed into a Holmstrom replacement. You can have him for free if you want.

I'd hate to see Nystrom wearing a Wings jersey but he is another one of those Prust-type players. Really good at cycling the puck, can play on a checking line, and is able to fight. Great energy player that would potentially score 15 goals on the fourth line on an offensively oriented team. I'd say he can carry a fourth line as he definitely makes the fourth liners around him better...

I'm surprised Nystrom has only been mentioned once. He's probably the one guy who can play the wings system and chip in offensively as well as fight. He's young too.

I really hope Kenny goes the route of signing a young energy guy. Brandon Prust would be solid, nystrom solid, and so would Burish. It depends what Kenny is going for. Is he really going after a guy that can fight or does fighting have nothing to do with it? We all know Babs has been an advocate of a fighter in the past.

I would be happy with any of Burish, Nystrom, Prust(probably my favourite option), Kenopka, Chipchura(could turn into a goal scoring Dallas Drake that fights more) and Winchester. Asham and Thorton would be nice too but I would much rather have a guy under 30 and be able to get him to stay for a few years.

Add any of these guys plus Abdelkader to the line up and our team is suddenly respectably tough. Also Ericcson would play tougher and if Lilja doesn't come back Janik or even Carkner may be in the line up. Should be a different team to watch next year.

Oh is Prust an RFA or UFA?

Edited by newfy

I'm surprised Nystrom has only been mentioned once. He's probably the one guy who can play the wings system and chip in offensively as well as fight. He's young too.

I really hope Kenny goes the route of signing a young energy guy. Brandon Prust would be solid, nystrom solid, and so would Burish. It depends what Kenny is going for. Is he really going after a guy that can fight or does fighting have nothing to do with it? We all know Babs has been an advocate of a fighter in the past.

I would be happy with any of Burish, Nystrom, Prust(probably my favourite option), Kenopka, Chipchura(could turn into a goal scoring Dallas Drake that fights more) and Winchester. Asham and Thorton would be nice too but I would much rather have a guy under 30 and be able to get him to stay for a few years.

Add any of these guys plus Abdelkader to the line up and our team is suddenly respectably tough. Also Ericcson would play tougher and if Lilja doesn't come back Janik or even Carkner may be in the line up. Should be a different team to watch next year.

Oh is Prust an RFA or UFA?

Nystrom has Swedish blood, so he'd be a great fit here.

Winchester is a great choice because of his size. It's been forever since we had a forward over 6'4 who could play gritty.

Guest Lidstromboli

can't stand burish. the rest of those guys would be fine though

can't stand burish. the rest of those guys would be fine though

The fact that people can't stand Burish makes me want him more. Its been a long time since we've had a scrappy guy who everyone they play against can't stand. He's a solid fighter and can piss people off.

Homer pisses people off but lets be serious, he's not scaring anyone.

I'd be excited to see someone like Prust on the Wings. He seems like a perfect fit with his speed and he could mentor Callahan (in camp when he comes up over the next couple seasons, etc) since is also smaller.

Why do most here have Helm as the third line center and Abby as the forth? While it could go either way, it seems that most here have Helm penciled in. IMO Abby has a higher offensive upside and the hands needed for a scoring third line. Helm's speed and tenacity make him perfect for an energy line role

I'd be excited to see someone like Prust on the Wings. He seems like a perfect fit with his speed and he could mentor Callahan (in camp when he comes up over the next couple seasons, etc) since is also smaller.

Why do most here have Helm as the third line center and Abby as the forth? While it could go either way, it seems that most here have Helm penciled in. IMO Abby has a higher offensive upside and the hands needed for a scoring third line. Helm's speed and tenacity make him perfect for an energy line role

I agree. Abdelkader showed flashes in the playoffs that showed he is much better then a fourth line player. Abdelkader should be the 3rd line center next year and Helm the 4th. Yeah Helm has more experience but Abdelkader seems more suited with his hands and scornig ability for that spot.

And yeah I never thought of that. Prust and Callahan in the future would be dirty. 2 guys of that size that can chuck with the heavies (Light heavies mostly)

The fact that people can't stand Burish makes me want him more. Its been a long time since we've had a scrappy guy who everyone they play against can't stand. He's a solid fighter and can piss people off.

Homer pisses people off but lets be serious, he's not scaring anyone.

I would love to have Burish on this team.

See as much as i would love to have screappier guy on this team i also think a line of

Eaves-Helm-Abdelkader

would be sick thats so much speed on a line plus all 3 love to hit, this line could very well be the next gen grind line.

Bertuzzi-Datsyuk-Hudler

Cleary-Filppula-Ritola/Tatar/UFA

Eaves-Abdelkader-Helm

See as much as i would love to have screappier guy on this team i also think a line of

Eaves-Helm-Abdelkader

would be sick thats so much speed on a line plus all 3 love to hit, this line could very well be the next gen grind line.

Bertuzzi-Datsyuk-Hudler

Cleary-Filppula-Ritola/Tatar/UFA

Eaves-Abdelkader-Helm

The grind line had the ability to beat the crap outta guys with Mac and Kocur both on it. In no way do I think in the near future this team will have the next Kocur but if you wanna have the next grind line, your toughest guy can't be Abdelkader.

Eaves Abdelkader Burish

Eaves Abdelkader Nystrom

Eaves Abdelkader Prust

Those arel ines that have 2 tough guys that can play, grind it out and defend themselves well if they wanna. Eaves Helm Abby would be a solid line but to call them the next grind line isn't right at all.

Eaves Abdelkader

Ya i know its not really the same i just mean in the sense of being able to work over the other team in there own zone and punish them with hits, i actually dont mind not having a fighter on the team,as much as i enjoy watching it i also like when guys like Eaves,Helm,Abby frustrate other guys so much that they want to fight them and end up taking a dumb penalty. We could also just ask Bert to step in more often because Bert can defintly hold his own in a scrap. but ya if we can get our PP back with Hudler in the line up i do enjoy making teams pay on the PP.

I don't remember Mac and Joey ever being on the same line though.

No I meant there was always a heavyweight presence on the line. When Kocur left Mac was on it.

And as much as I do like these guys, that line would provide so much more momentum with a guy like Prust on it. He has the speed he just doesn't have the hands. Guys a battering ram on skates out there.

The thought of an Eaves, Helm, Prust forth line is pretty amazing. With the forth liners we have, it seems that the line will have speed as its greatest asset. If we can build on that with a fighter who can also skate, they can be a great forechecking line (with good D from Helm and Eaves/Miller).

The thought of an Eaves, Helm, Prust forth line is pretty amazing. With the forth liners we have, it seems that the line will have speed as its greatest asset. If we can build on that with a fighter who can also skate, they can be a great forechecking line (with good D from Helm and Eaves/Miller).

Prust isn't bad defensively itas just he basically only has hands to punch stuff with. To play him on a fast line that just forechecks extremely hard he would be a perfect fit and could be the fighter that fits in that we've all wanted so baadly.