• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jasper84

NHL Fans & conspiracy theories

Rate this topic

No, I never said refs were told to favor anyone. I doubt that happens, but there isn't a doubt in my mind that certain players and teams get star treatment. It happens in every other sport and I think it'd be naive to assume it doesn't happen in hockey.

No, I don't think the Wings get favorable treatment in any way (especially in the playoffs). It seems odd to me that they went from the second least penalized team in the regular season to the most penalized team in the playoffs.

Isn't that the same thing? I dunno I just prefer to think star players get calls because they work hard to be in a position where calls are drawn. In the case of a player like Crosby, every penalty he has ever drawn is immediately labeled as "star treatment". This is because everyone has subscribed to that way of thinking and not because it is actually true. Draper has has drawn soft calls, zetterberg has drawn softs calls, everyone has drawn soft calls! But if Crosby gets a soft call everyone calls "star treatment". (I'm not singling you out, just people in gerneral)

I don't think the wings get favourable treatment either, I was just making the point that non wings fans think we certainly do. No wings fan will think that though. Go read lets go pens and you will find they too are critical of officiating. Remember the 07/08 finals and all the complaints about the wings getting away with obstruction? Pens fans dont think their team gets star treatment, wings fans don't think their fans get star treatment, yet both fans accuse each other of getting star treatment.

The officiating is extremely inconsistent and at times incompetent. However, I think that is due to the ridiculous nature of the rules in the new NHL. Most penalties called in any game are going to be soft and unnecessary. Every team has been on the recieving end of these calls, I dont think any one team is given star treatment.

Just my opionion.

Isn't that the same thing? I dunno I just prefer to think star players get calls because they work hard to be in a position where calls are drawn. In the case of a player like Crosby, every penalty he has ever drawn is immediately labeled as "star treatment". This is because everyone has subscribed to that way of thinking and not because it is actually true. Draper has has drawn soft calls, zetterberg has drawn softs calls, everyone has drawn soft calls! But if Crosby gets a soft call everyone calls "star treatment". (I'm not singling you out, just people in gerneral)

I don't think the wings get favourable treatment either, I was just making the point that non wings fans think we certainly do. No wings fan will think that though. Go read lets go pens and you will find they too are critical of officiating. Remember the 07/08 finals and all the complaints about the wings getting away with obstruction? Pens fans dont think their team gets star treatment, wings fans don't think their fans get star treatment, yet both fans accuse each other of getting star treatment.

The officiating is extremely inconsistent and at times incompetent. However, I think that is due to the ridiculous nature of the rules in the new NHL. Most penalties called in any game are going to be soft and unnecessary. Every team has been on the recieving end of these calls, I dont think any one team is given star treatment.

Just my opionion.

I'm on letsgopens at times too. I have the same username but rarely post there. I find it fun to read their perspective on occasion. Yes I remember their complaints about obstruction. I also remember Datsyuk with the puck on his stick at center ice about to ice the game into an empty net when he was tripped and had the puck taken which led to the Hossa almost goal. There is no possible way the every ref on the ice missed that play.

It's really not worth debating. There once was a time when I felt the exact same way you do. Maybe in a couple of years you'll have converted over to my way of thinking. Actually, I'd prefer that the NHL do some thing about the horrible officiating (something I think everyone agrees on) and this concept would just fade away. However, I don't think that will happen and I beleive that certain teams will get the benefit of the doubt more than others will, just like in every other sport.

Yes I remember their complaints about obstruction.

You remember their complaint that the Pens were losing at the Joe because the Red Wings were tampering with their equipment because the home team is supposed to supply the equipment to the road team?

I'm on letsgopens at times too. I have the same username but rarely post there. I find it fun to read their perspective on occasion. Yes I remember their complaints about obstruction. I also remember Datsyuk with the puck on his stick at center ice about to ice the game into an empty net when he was tripped and had the puck taken which led to the Hossa almost goal. There is no possible way the every ref on the ice missed that play.

It's really not worth debating. There once was a time when I felt the exact same way you do. Maybe in a couple of years you'll have converted over to my way of thinking. Actually, I'd prefer that the NHL do some thing about the horrible officiating (something I think everyone agrees on) and this concept would just fade away. However, I don't think that will happen and I beleive that certain teams will get the benefit of the doubt more than others will, just like in every other sport.

I guess, for now, we shall agree to disagree :thumbup:

There is a conspiracy. Unwritten, unspoken, and unmentionable in the NHL. Only thing is, its a conspiracy of unwitting conspirators. The refs are for the most part, complete idiots. That Colon guy is a hapless retard under the thumb of a mentally disturbed midget commish who has the sick compulsion to put ICE hockey teams in cities where the winter weather averages 55 degrees Fahrenheit.

Definitely a conspiracy...of numbnuts.

something for thought

in game five for the wings I did not see one face off where someone wasn't thrown out.

in game seven with Boston, in the first period the were 15 face offs, no one thrown out.

There is a conspiracy. It is not against a team, but against a person.

As it is, the rules are rather complex. If the officials enforced them consistently, it would be easy to notice when the officials missed the occasional call. By adding in "intent to _____" rules, making rules that are "in the opinion of the official" and by generally changing things randomly and repeatedly, no one actually knows what the game is supposed to look like.

Colin Campbell has ordered the officials (on and off ice) to be inconsistent in their enforcement of the rules so that he (Campbell) doesn't have to try to explain an actual hockey game to Bettman.